Need Advice on a litter mat that works!!

tigger13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Fur-Parents!
I could really use some help, advice, suggestions on a better litter mat to put down by my kids litter boxes. I'm a little over, and sore, from getting a full body exfoliation everytime I go to bed. My blankies are covered in litter lol.
I don't have a lot of distance to put between the litter boxes and my bed, maybe 15' or more so that probably doesn't help. I currently have that large grey and blue patterned, velvet soft mat you find in Petsmart. I thought it being soft would appeal to them more but it doesn't seem to remove much litter from their lil paws.
I also use the Arm and Hammer Cloud and dust free litter. I've thought about trying the cedar shavings, I think it is, that you sift, but haven't had the time to educate myself on it.
Would really appreciate any advice on this!
Thanks everyone!!!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
The eternal problem, right? :) You might check out this thread from a year ago where several of us chime in on various strategies.
Any Feedback on the iPrimio Litter Trapper Mat?

I have three of the iPrimio mats now, and they work well. But I also use a piece of shag carpet which helps, too. You can see photos of how much litter they trap on the thread above.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have this: Petlinks Purrfect Paws Gray Cat Litter Mat - Chewy.com It kind of works. The downside is that the recessed round depressions are hard to clean if a cat vomits or has a mess on the mat :cringe: If you have a garden hose, you can just blast the mat clean but if you don't have a garden hose, cleaning each depression is a pain.

A waffle design type indoor / outdoor mat works pretty well. Again, the downside is that the grooves are a pain to clean up vomit and stuff if you don't have a garden hose.

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two Pawkins XL litter mats from Amazon and like them pretty well. They trap almost all of my girl's loose World's Best - only do they sometimes leave dusty prints on the vinyl floor downstairs, but that's more a sign I need to change the litter than anything else!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigger13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow...I thought it was just MY issue all, something I was doing wrong. :flail:
Annieca2016, your comment about dusty paw prints on the floor reminded me that I have those on my bed sheets as well, cute but...Should I? I'm using the "100% Dust Free" Arm and Hammer? Says dust free on the box....hmmmmm.
I'll keep experimenting with other things. Maybe I can teach them to wipe their feet. I'll Let you all know how THAT goes!
I don't think my Orca-like tuxedo boy can reach his feet anyway! Lol
0509202038d~2.jpg 0710201448.jpg 0208201908.jpg 17433.jpeg
Thank you all again for your responses!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a problem! I have used nearly every brand of dust free litter. They still produce dust. Some less than others but the cats also track litter anyway. I finally made a path with multiple mats between the nearest box and my bed! I should add though, I have a multi cat house and the bed is usually blanketed more with cats than fabric! :lol: Litter on the sheets is never conducive to my sleep but the cats don’t seem to mind.
I love your kitties and the photos! Sooo cute! Orca kitty? Love the pictures! Third pic really made me smile!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The eternal problem, right? :) You might check out this thread from a year ago where several of us chime in on various strategies.
Any Feedback on the iPrimio Litter Trapper Mat?

I have three of the iPrimio mats now, and they work well. But I also use a piece of shag carpet which helps, too. You can see photos of how much litter they trap on the thread above.
:yeah: I heartily recommend the 2-layer mats that have holes in the top layer to trap litter. While nothing is 100%, they make life easier.

tigger13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is a problem! I have used nearly every brand of dust free litter. They still produce dust. Some less than others but the cats also track litter anyway. I finally made a path with multiple mats between the nearest box and my bed! I should add though, I have a multi cat house and the bed is usually blanketed more with cats than fabric! :lol: Litter on the sheets is never conducive to my sleep but the cats don’t seem to mind.
I love your kitties and the photos! Sooo cute! Orca kitty? Love the pictures! Third pic really made me smile!
Yep, "Orca" kitty because he's around 20lbs!! I named him Willy....from the movie Free Willy because he's black and white and a BIG boy! I can't say fat, he gets mad and very vocal. 😂

***Sorry about the X-Rated pic of Willy eveyone. I didn't realize when I posted it that his lil winky was showing. He's shameless!***

That's a great idea about using multiple mats, I'll give it a try, thank you!
Glad you liked the pics Jcatbird! All strays I scooped up off the streets. They make the best pets and constantly show their appreciation.
Has anyone tried the pine shavings litter that you sift? I heard it smells really good, pine scent, and absorbs better than litter. I was going to try it but wanted to hear about others experience with it, if anyones tried it.
Jcatbird, a few more pics for you of my babies. Proud parent, sorry!
FYI, pic of Willy and Tigger spooning wasn't staged, they got under the blanket and spooned themselves, so I had to take a picture of it, I was stunned! 😯😂

Thank you all for your responses,
0528200138g.jpg
IMAG0159.jpg
I'll try your ideas. Much appreciated!!! Stay Safe everyone!

tigger13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, "Orca" kitty because he's around 20lbs!! I named him Willy....from the movie Free Willy because he's black and white and a BIG boy! I can't say fat, he gets mad and very vocal. 😂

***Sorry about the X-Rated pic of Willy eveyone. I didn't realize when I posted it, that his lil winky was showing. He's shameless!***

That's a great idea about using multiple mats, I never thought about that and I'll give it a try, thank you!
Glad you liked the pics! All strays, scooped up off the streets, they always make the best pets, you can see the appreciation in their eyes.
Has anyone tried the pine shavings litter that you sift? I heard it smells really good, pine scent, and absorbs better than litter. I was going to try it but wanted to hear about others experience with it, if anyones tried it.
Thank you all for your responses, I'll try your ideas. Much appreciated!!! Stay Safe everyone!
:yeah: I heartily recommend the 2-layer mats that have holes in the top layer to trap litter. While nothing is 100%, they make life easier.
I don't think I've seen those. Can you post a picture of it? That one sounds like it would work very well! Thank you!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think I've seen those. Can you post a picture of it? That one sounds like it would work very well! Thank you!
We have the Blackhole Litter Mat, XL in dark gray. It was a bit pricey, but nowadays there are a couple of competing brands that are almost identical, like the iPrimio that Tobermory Tobermory mentioned:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Here are my iPrimio mats. I also have another one by a third litter box. They have a lot of give and my cats don’t mind walking on them.
FDF6F009-8764-4748-91A2-D8C44FBDD56E.jpeg

A closeup showing how much litter was trapped. I use a clumping grass litter that’s very lightweight so my two long-haired kitties bring a fair amount out of the box between their hairy toes.
9F3E5BE0-AC20-4FF9-80E7-C936186B306C.jpeg

tigger13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh ok, I don't think I've seen those in Petsmart. I'll try online and give those a shot. Thank you all again! I appreciate all the help!!