Need Advice On 3 Week Old Kitten-major Diarrhea

justjoe906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off I've never cared for feral kittens so this is all new to me.
16 days ago 2 feral kittens were on my front porch. After looking at images on the internet I estimated they were 10 days old. So I'm guessing they are now about 3.5 weeks old. I tried everything including several rescue agency's but no one could take them that small. I started bottle feeding them and it was going fairly good. They were both gaining weight just about daily, very playful until today.

Yesterday I tried feeding them some wet kitten food with a syringe and they seemed to enjoy it along with some kitten kibble.

Today they both have diarrhea. One of them has major diarrhea that runs like water. I went back to the KMR Milk Replacement that I was using all along with added pedialyte and no wet or dry food today.

I'm very concerned about the one because tonight he refused his bottle and is very lethargic. I know a vet visit would be in order however I'm on a fixed income and can't afford a vet.

Did I try to wean them too soon? Should I perhaps have them skip a feeding to help it clear up?

Thank you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be the change in diet. Keep them on the formula for another week. Then try letting them lap Gerber turkey baby food. It’s great for weaning.

Try to get some pedialyte into the lethargic kitten. Hold off on the milk for now. He needs to stay hydrated with diarrhea that runny.

I hope they are better tomorrow! Keep us posted!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for caring! I don’t have any experience with kittens this young, but this article: Weaning: How To Get Your Kittens To Eat On Their Own says that kittens have sensitive digestive systems, so the rapid change could be causing the diarrhea. I agree with Sarthur2, that it would best to keep them on the KMR only for this upcoming week. You can transition them to kitten food gradually after that. The article I linked to gives some great tips for how to go about this.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I want to stress on you give lotsa of pedialyte. As you already began with.
This pedialyte does contain glucose sugar right? If so you may pause the kmr, to let her dydtem rest 12-24 hours.

Exactly which Kmr are you using?

J justjoe906

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justjoe906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The formula I've been using is KMR Kitten Milk Replacer both powder and pre-mixed depending on which one Petsmart has in stock.

Up at 4am to check on the kittens. One appears to be doing fine even though still has diarrhea he's very active and took the bottle right down. I gave them pedialyte only.
The other kitten is in bad shape, will not take his bottle and very lethargic. I did carefully attempt to put a little in his mouth so he could have something at least.

Will monitor him closely for the next several hours and if no improvement a vet visit is in order even though I can't afford it. I'm not going to sit there and let him die without at least a fighting chance.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The powder KMR is more reliable than the premade. Although not even the premade KMR should give such violent diarrheas. Hartz could, but not KMR by PetAg.
Anyways, it may be worth to change - I would suggest goats milk.

Anyway, continue with the pedialyte if it contains glucose sugar - you see on the label. It it doesnt contain, you can add some. Easiest is to use honey or white caro syrup - both do contain some glucose sugar.

It is both to give salts and electrolytes, which its loosing rapidly, to give water, which its loosing rapidly, and to give this glucose sugar, which makes it possible to survive some time just on it.

Also, you can smear a water + honey solution on the lips and gum, it gives quick energy.

Keep the weak kitten warm, (ie using actively heating up), do massage it, give it all comfort and support you can think of. Pray.

If you can get raw goats milk you can try with it.
The probiotic BeneBac from PetAg is good too.
PetAg has possible ended the production of BeneBac, but the other they produce instead is good it too.
The formula I've been using is KMR Kitten Milk Replacer both powder and pre-mixed depending on which one Petsmart has in stock.

Up at 4am to check on the kittens. One appears to be doing fine even though still has diarrhea he's very active and took the bottle right down. I gave them pedialyte only.
The other kitten is in bad shape, will not take his bottle and very lethargic. I did carefully attempt to put a little in his mouth so he could have something at least.

Will monitor him closely for the next several hours and if no improvement a vet visit is in order even though I can't afford it. I'm not going to sit there and let him die without at least a fighting chance.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give the healthy kitten its milk today.

Please use only powdered. The premixed is crap and causes diarrhea. No Hartz products!

Get to the vet right away! The kitten needs IV fluids!

justjoe906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur 2:

Money is also an issue here, as I noted above I'm on a very tight fixed income and can't afford IV's. I'm doing my best to save this kitten but I don't have an open ended cash flow.
I've tried local vets before and all they see when you walk in the front door is the cash register ringing.

I will monitor today and try to get him to take fluids and formula, If no improvement will take to vet tomorrow.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think tomorrow will be too late, from what you’re saying.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are the kittens doing this afternoon?

Giving sub-q fluids should not be expensive.

justjoe906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took both to the vet yesterday morning and they were very understanding with my financial situation and didn't charge an arm and a leg.

Vet did an exam including a fecal test. The one kitten has a small worm. Vet gave prescription for Albon and Strongid for the diarrhea and worms, Clavomax for slight URI and Neo-Polycin for eye infection. He said to use on both kittens.

Vet suggested to continue with KMR kitten formula with pedialyte for at least another week before trying to start weaning. This morning they both have more energy, taking their formula good and diarrhea seems to be clearing up.

My post was moved and not sure how to find out where, however this morning I looked under my sign in name and your content to locate. Perhaps there's an easier way but that's how I found it.

Thanks very much for all the good advice and concerns. I will wait at least another week before trying to wean to wet foods.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That’s awesome that you went to the vet and both kittens were treated. Such a relief to hear that both are already feeling better!

Please keep us posted on their progress!