Need advice - new cat hiding, not eating or drinking after vet visit

AspenTree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I adopted a kitty 3 weeks ago. His name is Tan and he is 9 months old.

Initially, Tan hided behind my closet door or under my bed for a week or two, but he gradually came out to eat, play, and wander about the apartment. I haven't been able to pet him and he is quite independent, but he would stand on my leg when I'm sitting on the floor and ask for treats. Yesterday, however, I noticed worms in his poop, and he was being lethargic, had decreased appetite. I recruited the help of a friend and took him to the vet along with a poop sample.

They didn't do any procedures at the vet, just sent him back with some deworming tablets. This was late last night around 10PM. I let him out into my spare bedroom since I wanted to clean and disinfect the rest of the house. I put his litter box, food and water in the room. The deworming pill is also in a pill pocket in his dish. But today he has been wedged underneath the dresser and has not come out at all. The wet food in his bowl and the pill pocket remain untouched, and I am worried that he is not drinking water either.

I know we spooked him yesterday, and I feel terrible because I could have just taken the poop in for inspection and saved him the trip.

I am super worried about his health, and that I've messed up our relationship. But I don't know what to do. Should I leave him alone for the night, or try to sit in the room and read to him like I've done in the past 3 weeks?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try sitting and reading to him for a while, he is traumatized after his vet visit. He will come out of it, but it will take a few days. Keep leaving food and water, he may come out at night eventually. It is still early in the relationship, he is more sensitive than a lot of cats. This is NOT unusual. I had a cat hide for two weeks. You may have to start over, but what could you do if he had worms? I wouldn't try to worm him now until he comes out unless he gets worse. you could try leaving the pill pocket near him where he is hiding, he may get hungry enough to eat it. Or take a small piece of the pill pocket and 'paste' the pill, or half of it to a small piece of bacon, cats can't resist that!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with the above, spend time in the room but not necessarily trying to approach him directly. He will come around. It might take a day or two, perhaps longer, but he will come around. And, even if it takes more than a day or so, he will likely come out to eat/drink before he completely gets over his 'trauma'.

As far as the dewormer, you could try a bit easier way of getting him to eat it, such as canned tuna or chicken in water. I presume the pills/tablets can be smashed, so you can then add it to a bit of the 'juice' along with a few small pieces of the meat. Just leave it in another dish by his food/water dishes and see what happens.

SantoJenMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Betrayal! Chloe exclaimed after I took her to the vet. She hid for 2 days. I couldn't find her for 2 days.

Eventually I found her squeezed into the back of a dining chair under the table. She virtually disappeared.

It will be fine. If possible, relocate your cat into a smaller closed space with food, water, and litter box.

Some cats are more skittish than others. They tend to respond to people who respect their space, give them the right to decide what the cat is comfortable with. Over time, they will approach you again.

Please don't feel guilty. Your cat loved you once. Likely, your cat loves you now.

Keep in mind, your cat may be experiencing a PTSD episode. Your love and patience will be greatly appreciated. You are the cat's best hope for love and safety. If you are reaching out for help and anguished over your cats feelings, you are a caring person.

It will be fine.