Need Advice: Momma with Mastitis and 5 Sick Kittens

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m fostering a sweet momma and her babies who will be turning 6 weeks old tomorrow. One passed away suddenly a few days ago and another last night. They started on Clavamox yesterday evening because we’re pretty sure momma has mastitis and all the kittens are sick.
They get fluids every hour, 1-2 cc water, and every other hour some baby food/water mixture too to keep them hydrated and keep nutrients in them.
Most are running fevers. Three are all running high fevers and have no energy, two are not yet and still playing. They’re kept separate, and momma is kept separate too. They were separated as soon as we got the possible diagnosis.
One of the sick kittens has been vomiting since last night. The one that just passed vomited a lot over the course of the days he was sick, I’m worried she’ll go down the same path he did and eventually pass. The other two sickies aren’t doing much better either.
Is there any more supportive care I can do for these littles to try and help them feel better???
D2BF69D2-F2DA-4C0F-B8BC-BB1401273D49.jpeg
DE3A983E-62C4-4857-8199-DA5969F8EC01.jpeg
3B5BC47B-83AA-4A16-9AA8-D910071CD276.jpeg

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor mama and babies!

First, I would give unflavored pedialyte instead of water to keep the electrolytes going, especially for the ones vomiting. My guess is the clavamox is causing the vomiting. Try to give it after giving food; it may stay down better. Also ask the vet if the kittens can have anti-nausea meds. It will help if so.

Get some Gerber chicken or turkey meat baby food and see if they will take it. You can also try Gerber plain rice cereal. I know fever dulls the appetite but the Gerber products are gentle.

If the kittens can make it to the third day on the clavamox, they should begin to turn the corner.

Is mom on clavamox too? Her mammaries look terrible. Apply warm, damp compresses, and coconut oil for relief. Did the vet give her an anti-inflammatory like Onsior? She probably needs it. Make sure mom is well hydrated too.

Are the separated kittens getting meds too?

It’s a shame this wasn’t caught sooner. Being that the kittens are about 6 weeks, they have a chance to pull through if kept hydrated.

Please keep us updated!

BlazenlyObvious BlazenlyObvious

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, studying the temperature chart, the kittens need an anti-inflammatory as well to bring down their fevers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor mama and babies!

First, I would give unflavored pedialyte instead of water to keep the electrolytes going, especially for the ones vomiting. My guess is the clavamox is causing the vomiting. Try to give it after giving food; it may stay down better. Also ask the vet if the kittens can have anti-nausea meds. It will help if so.

Get some Gerber chicken or turkey meat baby food and see if they will take it. You can also try Gerber plain rice cereal. I know fever dulls the appetite but the Gerber products are gentle.

If the kittens can make it to the third day on the clavamox, they should begin to turn the corner.

Is mom on clavamox too? Her mammaries look terrible. Apply warm, damp compresses, and coconut oil for relief. Did the vet give her an anti-inflammatory like Onsior? She probably needs it. Make sure mom is well hydrated too.

Are the separated kittens getting meds too?

It’s a shame this wasn’t caught sooner. Being that the kittens are about 6 weeks, they have a chance to pull through if kept hydrated.

Please keep us updated!

BlazenlyObvious BlazenlyObvious
I’ll be going to the clinic Monday to pick up more meds, and I’m going to let them know that momma is still really swollen and sore so hopefully they suggest giving her an anti inflammatory because it looks and feels so bad…

I am feeding them Turkey and chicken flavored baby food mixed with Water. The two kittens who aren’t really showing symptoms will eat it willingly but the three showing symptoms won’t so they get it fed to them. The other two do as well but not as often nor as much.

Momma is on Clavamox as well she gets it twice a day, and I’ve been doing the warm compresses. At first she would barely let me touch her belly but I think she’s realized it actually feels pretty good so she lets me for a little while at a time.

All kittens are getting fluids and Clavamox (meds twice a day).
I really wish it would have been caught sooner, and I should’ve noticed her belly sooner but this is only the second nursing momma I’ve ever cared for and I honestly didn’t even know this could happen. I feel terrible, and I’m annoyed that the rescue didn’t schedule a vet appointment for momma and her babies after the first baby passed just to check them all out… momma has yet to see a vet same with kittens…

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is the kitten doing who has been vomiting?

Are their fevers coming down at all?

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is the kitten doing who has been vomiting?

Are their fevers coming down at all?
Fevers have all gone down. The one who was vomiting I haven’t seen vomit at all but she still doesn’t feel well and really doesn’t have any energy. I’m trying to get them to start eating on their own to gain this weight they lost back. The two that are out and about playing eat on their own, they don’t eat much but I’m also still syringe feeding them the baby food so they’re probably not too hungry. They do have dry food out to eat and I’ll be giving them some kitten Pate as well.
I provided an image with current weights and temps for the 5 remaining kittens. It’s easier than typing it all out haha
20402656-2B7E-47DF-BE0C-52AA170B0FB5.jpeg

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it is possible your kittens have been suffering from panleukopenia. They need supportive care.

Here is a link:

Feline panleukopenia
Yes, I definitely believe that they are suffering from both the infected milk from momma and also distemper, there’s no way this is just the infection.
I’ve had three of the 7 in the litter pass, one passed yesterday morning. Three are doing well, running around and playing, however as of yesterday the one (Ghost) has lost her appetite and lost around 16-18 grams so I’m keeping an eye on her. She did throw up her food and water yesterday but hasn’t since, so I’m wondering if we were feeding her too much and made her tummy sick or if she’s finally getting symptoms. Hopefully not the latter.

One kitten that was really sick and running a high fever, Scorpion, is doing really well. Putting on weight, eating on his own, playing.And our little calico Cayenne is also putting on weight (those two have always been the smallest of the 7).

I still have one kitten separated, his name is Dragon. He’s steadily losing weight but his fever has gone down to around 102. He won’t eat on his own and will fight me when I try and feed him and give him fluids, so I’m able to get around 1 cc of both in him at a time. I’ve only seen him throw up once and it looked like just food not stomach bile, but his weight loss is concerning. He’s not playful but he does have some energy in him because he’ll climb the sides of the playpen occasionally and scream. I also have a heated stuffie in with him (it’s that anxiety reducing cat stuffie with the heartbeat and heating “pad”) so he likes to snuggle with that.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any updates on the little cat family? How is little Dragon? And are Scorpion & Cayenne continuing to improve? Has Mama Kitty recovered?

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any updates on the little cat family? How is little Dragon? And are Scorpion & Cayenne continuing to improve? Has Mama Kitty recovered?
Ghost, Cayenne and Scorpion are all doing well. They’re eating on their own and I’ve been advised to stop fluids every hour but continue to give meds twice a day.

Dragon still is running a fever and losing weight but fingers crossed no vomiting. He fights us at feedings but won’t eat on his own. He still has energy and will climb the playpen and scream sometimes when he really wants out so I’m hoping he doesn’t lose that fighting spirit and gets better.

Momma Pepper is doing well she’s still sore but not as bad, swelling slowly is going down but the areas around her nipples are still very firm. She’s still so loving and has her normal appetite

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
Babies are doing well! Everyone is steadily gaining weight (one healthy kitten keeps fluctuating in weight but she’s been that way since a kitten, I think worms could also be contributing to this). The sick kitten is out eating, still losing weight but significantly less because he’s eating on his own as he’s getting more of his appetite back. He’s trying to figure out how to play with the others, but he likes to scream… especially when we leave the room.