Need advice! Limited ingredient suggestions

Jaylin A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, unfortunately, our older adult cat has been chronically suffering from what I believe is a food allergy. He has had continuous diarrhea, as well as other symptoms like an unhealthy coat, watery eyes, snoring/sometimes wheezing, but no vomiting or severe changes/warning signs thankfully. The thing is, he is an EXTREMELY picky eater, more so than our very duchess-like kitty. He will ONLY want the food that I suspect is causing his issues!! We've tried transitioning out his diet with other brands, I've tried giving him various freeze-dried meat treats, actual homecooked meat (boiled chicken, steak..), adding pumpkin to his food, isolating what we feed him (dry vs wet) to try and figure out what's causing the reaction, etc... Even tried a round of antibiotics (?) that the vet gave us, and tested for parasites/worms which came out negative. But he just turns his nose up to everything, no reaction at all! Thankfully our other 2 are more open to trying these foods, and we've found stuff they like 😢 He likes dry food and turns to that when he walks away from the other food we've tried, which I desperately tried to get him off of as it's not great for him. Sometimes I feel like just leaving him with no choice but what I give him to eat, but then he'd starve himself being picky! I really need suggestions for sensitive tummies/food allergy/limited ingredient foods. I found Instinct ones on chewy, but they are sooo expensive and are pate style, which my cats all hate. He only likes friskies brand meat shreds with gravy....

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you ask your vet for a few cans of Hill's I/D in the stew texture (small cans)? I wouldn't normally recommend prescription food because a lot of them have questionable ingredients and are very starchy. But, my nibbler who doesn't seem to be even this excited about Fancy Feast really goes for the I/D stew. Since she started on it, her coat has gotten thicker and softer. I don't think the Fancy Feast was entirely agreeing with her. Now I just need to up her calories. Because even though she's more excited about the stew, she was getting more calories from the FF pate. 🤦‍♂️

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a food change is all that's needed. But continuous diarrhea is a severe change/warning sign. Is he losing weight?

You could try saccharomyces boulardii to help with the diarrhea.
My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

Vitality Science also makes a few supplements that can work.
Diarrhea - Vitality Science

But I would want to schedule him for an ultrasound in case the food changes or supplements don't work out. Chronic diarrhea, along with weight loss, is a hallmark of GI lymphoma and sometimes IBD (sometimes vomiting, sometimes diarrhea depending on where it is.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jaylin A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be a food change is all that's needed. But continuous diarrhea is a severe change/warning sign. Is he losing weight?

You could try saccharomyces boulardii to help with the diarrhea.
My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

Vitality Science also makes a few supplements that can work.
Diarrhea - Vitality Science

But I would want to schedule him for an ultrasound in case the food changes or supplements don't work out. Chronic diarrhea, along with weight loss, is a hallmark of GI lymphoma and sometimes IBD (sometimes vomiting, sometimes diarrhea depending on where it is.)
Been meaning to try probiotics actually, just wasn't sure which to get so thank you, will order some! He has not had any weight loss yet. For the severe changes, I just meant things alongside diarrhea that are signs of something extreme, like vomiting, blood, lethargy, etc. I know that diarrhea itself is severe when chronic, but he doesn't seem much different, other than I imagine it's extremely uncomfortable for him! We plan on getting him back for another appointment, so we can hopefully isolate his exact allergies (which would help a lot..), like if it's possibly chicken or just a result of the overall ingredients of certain brands. In addition to that, I wanted an ultrasound on him to double check. He also has this odd lump on his side, which I mentioned to the vet but she didn't notice anything :ohwell: Could be a fatty tumor though, it hasn't grown since I noticed it a few years back (initially, we thought it was his rib or something)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start weighing him weekly if you can. I recommend a baby scale over a bathroom scale for this. Baby scales are much more accurate. If you can get him to hold still for a few seconds. I can’t get Betty to hold still so I have been waiting for her next vet appointment to get a new weight on her. (She’s been having eating/hairball issues not yet sorted and losing weight. She gets an ultrasound on Monday.) I would weigh your guy no more than once a week for everyone’s sanity. And if he starts losing weight week over week, definitely schedule the ultrasound. When my IBD kitty Krista’s well-managed IBD turned into lymphoma, the only symptoms I got was diarrhea and weight loss. She only started barfing again when I was using a trigger food (fish flakes) to get her to take her nightly medicine. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿 Took me far longer than it should have to figure that one out. 😔

Jaylin A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! I hope Krista is doing better, and Betty as well. I'm antsy to get my critter to the vet too, just to rule out that issue early, but we've been struggling financially so we've been hesitant. I did find the I/D Hills food on chewy, but it's super expensive...I wish vets had more affordable options, especially since pet insurance seems like such a scam...We're basically just going to be stuck dropping another couple hundred per visit.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! I hope Krista is doing better, and Betty as well. I'm antsy to get my critter to the vet too, just to rule out that issue early, but we've been struggling financially so we've been hesitant. I did find the I/D Hills food on chewy, but it's super expensive...I wish vets had more affordable options, especially since pet insurance seems like such a scam...We're basically just going to be stuck dropping another couple hundred per visit.
Krista passed in 2020. She was one tough cat who just ran out of cat. She lost too much weight and her immune system had been suppressed for so long that a bladder infection would prove too much for her. My solace is that despite my mistake with our "devil's bargain" (wrapping her nightly medicine in a trigger food), we did eventually figure that out, and her last month was spent in remission.

I adopted Betty in January and still haven't figured her out yet. Two weeks ago, I would have agreed with you about prescription food. But since insurance figured out that her vomiting started in the policy waiting period, I'm on my own with anything related to hairballs/vomiting. So I decided to try the prescription food that she was sent home with after the last urgent care visit. Some cats can have a hairball and be right again right away or after a couple of hours. With Betty, a hairball is an all day affair and when she spits up pink tinged stomach acid, that's an urgent care visit. They sent us home with prescription food and sucralfate. To my surprise, she actually likes the prescription food. She likes it more than any other food I have offered her since she came to me. I just wish it had a bit more calories. I'm supplementing with the I/D dry, which she also likes and it often gets her to eat some wet when she doesn't feel like it. She has an ultrasound Monday to determine if she's got inflammation in her gut. I don't know if they can diagnose an ileus with an ultrasound, but that's another possibility. But that's a symptom, not a cause. She may have contrast studies and endoscopy in her future. I would be totally okay with the way she nibbles and grazes through the day and night if we could just solve the random hairballs/spit-ups (they are rarely food like I would expect with IBD) and what looks like nausea.

Diagnostics are very expensive. If you can solve his problem with food and supplements, even expensive food is worth the savings of urgent care visits and ultrasounds and such. Rawz is a really good (gold standard in my opinion) limited ingredient food. But talk about expensive! Incredible Pets is an online reseller that sells Rawz by the can so you could try a few flavors without committing to a whole case. Unfortunately, their best limited ingredient foods are their pates so that may not sell well with a shreds cat. Worth a try and worth the price if it saves you expensive vet bills, though. Rabbit is popular and tends to solve many food issues. It's also going to be the most likely one to experience shortages. If he likes the rabbit and it solves his stools, I would stock up every chance you can afford it.
Search: 10 results found for "rawz cat"

Jaylin A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh Im so sorry to hear that! Im sure that despite her health troubles she felt loved and taken care of to the best of your abilities. Its reassuring to hear your current kitty likes the prescribed food, I've always stayed away from it but it is worth a shot. Just like you said, the procedures get pricey very quickly. Thank you so much for the recommendations, those are all new names for us to try out. In terms of rabbit, I did buy some rabbit freeze dried treats and none of our cats touched them sadly. It could just be that brand, so I'll give it another go. I tried mixing a bit of salmon I saved for them in their wet food dinner earlier. The other 2 tried it, sadly he just keeps coming back to see if I've changed it then walks away :( Im hoping that even *one* of these brands works out

edit: he just caved in and is tasting the concoction! i think he's tolerating it!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I no longer feed my cat chicken. Certainly no fish. I believe she's allergic to it and other ingredients not meat related. Lots of trial and error. It's odd that the food she hasn't thrown up in a month has zantheum gum. Instinct,rawz,fancy feast,hound&gatos,Dr elseys haven't worked for her. I know ingredients in prescription food are not the best but I would still give it to her if it works. All she eats now is weruva trulex steak frites,churu tubes,tiki sticks,freeze dried treats. If she can eat chicken freezer dried maybe it is other ingredients. I'm tired of cleaning up throw up 13+ years

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a higher fiber food? Increasing his fiber and adding a probiotic like daftcat75 daftcat75 recommends could help a lot. I hope these suggestions help solve his issues or at least make things better while you figure out the root cause.

I give my cats a higher fiber dry food when either of them have diarrhea and they're quickly back to normal (I also give them a probiotic, but one of my cats takes a daily probiotic anyway for IBD). We've used the prescriptions Hill's w/d dry and G/I biome dry (they won't eat the canned versions). I wonder if some higher fiber non-prescription foods could work as well - look for hairball control and check the fiber content. We're currently using Hill's Hairball Control Light to manage springtime shedding and we haven't had a single hairball since starting it, so I know the added fiber is helping, but I don't know if it would be enough fiber to help with diarrhea. PetSmart has some 3.5 lb bags for around $22, which isn't cheap but at least it's less than prescription foods.

There are a few shredded canned foods worth trying; these aren't marketed as limited ingredient but they also don't have any of the ingredients that causes issues for my IBD kitty (like potatoes, gums, and others). They all come in a variety of flavors even though chicken is linked below. Rawz is a favorite in our house.

Tiki Cat Luau varieties
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/tiki-cat-puka-puka-luau-chicken-wet-cat-food

Tiki Cat After Dark shreds
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/tiki-cat-after-dark-variety-pack-wet-cat-food

Stella & Chewy's Carnivore Cravings
Carnivore Cravings Savory Shreds Chicken & Chicken Liver Recipe | Stella & Chewy's

Rawz Shredded Recipes
Shredded Chicken Recipe | RAWZ

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I no longer feed my cat chicken. Certainly no fish. I believe she's allergic to it and other ingredients not meat related. Lots of trial and error. It's odd that the food she hasn't thrown up in a month has zantheum gum. Instinct,rawz,fancy feast,hound&gatos,Dr elseys haven't worked for her. I know ingredients in prescription food are not the best but I would still give it to her if it works. All she eats now is weruva trulex steak frites,churu tubes,tiki sticks,freeze dried treats. If she can eat chicken freezer dried maybe it is other ingredients. I'm tired of cleaning up throw up 13+ years
There's the thing: So much of this is trial and error! You just never know what will work and it can take months to determine what will truly and consistently stop symptoms. Keeping a log of symptoms and last meals fed before incidents can really help.

Edwina has all sorts of limitations: Potato, agar agar, green lipped mussels, and maybe a gum or two. I've thought of her as "pre-IBD" since we adopted her when she was only ten months old. She was underfed then and has always had food insecurity. She's also very fluffy and has always had minor fur issues, but they were particularly bad during this past rather warm winter. She was shedding and barfing a lot, though rarely vomiting hair; I've long suspected that she gets stomach irritation from hair. She was nauseous and not wanting to eat. After taking all the gums out of her diet, eliminating the nausea with slippery elm bark (which I'm slowly reducing and hoping to cut out), and then starting her on Vet's Best anti-hairball tablets, we seem to be back to her old normal, which included occasional acid barfs if she went too long between meals. I now don't have to feed her as much or often during the night as I had to at peak barf. And she's back to her playful, happy and mischievous self.

The tablets have fiber, slippery elm bark, marshmallow root, and what I guess I'll call probiotic enzyme stuff (the company calls this blend Allzyme). Our other cat is also taking the tablets, which she loves as a treat and which seem to limit (I hesitate to claim victory too early!) her mild constipation. The cats are largely raw fed so never pooped much terms of volume but they are now more regular than ever. I bought the tablets on a whim because it was untenable to keep using vaseline or another greasy treatment for passing hair.

Anyway, I mention all of this because maybe something from Edwina's problems will help someone else!

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been dealing with food allergy issues too. Not necessarily IBD but just the most God-awful smelling soft stools that stunk up the whole apartment.

Delilah, who I've had longer, I know can't tolerate any fish. She's fine on anything else that she'll eat, as long as it's not a pate or lamb.

Fancy, my newer cat, has been the problem kitty. We did the fecal, did the antibiotics, and wound up with the "possible food allergies". Most of what I was feeding her was beef, chicken, and turkey. The vet wanted to put her on prescription and I asked about a limited ingredient diet. She was fine with that and suggested either rabbit or kangaroo.

2 months on rabbit (tried Rawz and Koha, wound up with Instinct). I had to have a kibble that both girls could eat in the timed feeder as well as a wet (I use microchip feeders for that). Delilah continued on her regular wet, Fancy on the rabbit. She wasn't crazy about it and I had to go through hoops to get her to eat it (she's not a pate lover). Eventually the girls were both leaving most of the kibble too, as I'd find the feeder bowl full from the drops. Fancy's smell had changed a little, but it was still bad, still soft.

I made the decision to switch to duck. I went with Koha LID shredded duck for wet, and NutriSource Pure Vita duck and red lentils kibble. After 2 weeks, the kibble is disappearing rapidly, Fancy is mostly eating the wet, and so far I haven't walked in to any awful smell. And my bigger fear, that Delilah would react to the salmon oil in the kibble, hasn't come true (knock on wood).

It's only 2 weeks though, so anything can change. These are the foods I'm using:
NutriSource - Cat Food - Grain Free Duck & Red Lentils
KOHA - Cat Food - Limited Ingredient Diet - Shredded Duck

Jaylin A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been dealing with food allergy issues too. Not necessarily IBD but just the most God-awful smelling soft stools that stunk up the whole apartment.

Delilah, who I've had longer, I know can't tolerate any fish. She's fine on anything else that she'll eat, as long as it's not a pate or lamb.

Fancy, my newer cat, has been the problem kitty. We did the fecal, did the antibiotics, and wound up with the "possible food allergies". Most of what I was feeding her was beef, chicken, and turkey. The vet wanted to put her on prescription and I asked about a limited ingredient diet. She was fine with that and suggested either rabbit or kangaroo.

2 months on rabbit (tried Rawz and Koha, wound up with Instinct). I had to have a kibble that both girls could eat in the timed feeder as well as a wet (I use microchip feeders for that). Delilah continued on her regular wet, Fancy on the rabbit. She wasn't crazy about it and I had to go through hoops to get her to eat it (she's not a pate lover). Eventually the girls were both leaving most of the kibble too, as I'd find the feeder bowl full from the drops. Fancy's smell had changed a little, but it was still bad, still soft.

I made the decision to switch to duck. I went with Koha LID shredded duck for wet, and NutriSource Pure Vita duck and red lentils kibble. After 2 weeks, the kibble is disappearing rapidly, Fancy is mostly eating the wet, and so far I haven't walked in to any awful smell. And my bigger fear, that Delilah would react to the salmon oil in the kibble, hasn't come true (knock on wood).

It's only 2 weeks though, so anything can change. These are the foods I'm using:
NutriSource - Cat Food - Grain Free Duck & Red Lentils
KOHA - Cat Food - Limited Ingredient Diet - Shredded Duck
Did anything you try work out? I have transitioned him on so many different dry foods and wet foods in hope of improvement to no avail. he has been having diarrhea for well over a year now, but we are in a rough situation at home and cannot afford racking up a $2-3k bill in more testing/diagnostics-- if it was something more than a food allergy or ibs I think he would be showing symptoms that he currently is not (weight loss, vomiting, blood, constipation, etc) . I've been putting that money towards all these new "better" foods, they are so frickin expensive! the last brand we just tried was koha. we'd been feeding for a little over 2 weeks and absolutely no changes in poops. I'm onto my last resort-- feeding only dry with pumpkin, as that was the only time we saw potential progress

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did anything you try work out? I have transitioned him on so many different dry foods and wet foods in hope of improvement to no avail. he has been having diarrhea for well over a year now, but we are in a rough situation at home and cannot afford racking up a $2-3k bill in more testing/diagnostics-- if it was something more than a food allergy or ibs I think he would be showing symptoms that he currently is not (weight loss, vomiting, blood, constipation, etc) . I've been putting that money towards all these new "better" foods, they are so frickin expensive! the last brand we just tried was koha. we'd been feeding for a little over 2 weeks and absolutely no changes in poops. I'm onto my last resort-- feeding only dry with pumpkin, as that was the only time we saw potential progress
It's good that he isn't have any other symptoms outside of diarrhea, but diarrhea for over a year is frustrating! I'm sorry that you've been going through this for so long without much improvement.

His diarrhea may have become chronic at this point and diarrhea and GI issues can't respond to treatment until you've controlled inflammation and increased his B12 (cobalamin) and maybe B9 (folate) levels. Doing this should be much easier and less expensive than diet trials, imaging and more testing. But he may have more issues than just diarrhea if it still persists after calming the inflammation and supplementing with B12 and B9, and the IBD link has a series of recommended steps if the diarrhea is not resolved.

What to do now? First, check to see if he's dehydrated from chronic diarrhea. Second, manage inflammation. And third, administer B12 and maybe B9 injections (oral B vitamins are not strong enough, he needs injections).
Is My Cat Dehydrated? Signs to Look For | PetMD

Ixnay on the IBD: An update on handling patients with chronic enteropathies
...chronically inflamed intestines lose the ability to absorb fat. Unabsorbed fat in the intestine stimulates diarrhea by osmotically drawing water into the lumen and by fostering an environment for the bacterial toxins.
Low cobalamin and folate concentrations are indicative of severe diffuse disease, and this will limit the efficacy of oral therapy for IIBD. Supplement with cobalamin and folate before instituting therapy.
Food and supplements (prebiotics, probiotics, maybe digestive enzymes if your vet recommends it) may be all he needs to calm the inflammation. Your vet can recommend other therapies if those aren't enough on their own. Also, steroids and other medications are not as effective when B12 and B9 levels are low. Cats with GI issues are usually low in B12 and often low in B9, and deficiencies can take a long time to show up in bloodwork. The injections are inexpensive and have almost no side effects, so they pretty much can only help.

Discuss these steps with your vet and give them a little time to work before trying different foods. You can always move on to different foods or other diagnostics if he doesn't respond. Good luck!

Jaylin A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's good that he isn't have any other symptoms outside of diarrhea, but diarrhea for over a year is frustrating! I'm sorry that you've been going through this for so long without much improvement.

His diarrhea may have become chronic at this point and diarrhea and GI issues can't respond to treatment until you've controlled inflammation and increased his B12 (cobalamin) and maybe B9 (folate) levels. Doing this should be much easier and less expensive than diet trials, imaging and more testing. But he may have more issues than just diarrhea if it still persists after calming the inflammation and supplementing with B12 and B9, and the IBD link has a series of recommended steps if the diarrhea is not resolved.

What to do now? First, check to see if he's dehydrated from chronic diarrhea. Second, manage inflammation. And third, administer B12 and maybe B9 injections (oral B vitamins are not strong enough, he needs injections).
Is My Cat Dehydrated? Signs to Look For | PetMD

Ixnay on the IBD: An update on handling patients with chronic enteropathies

Food and supplements (prebiotics, probiotics, maybe digestive enzymes if your vet recommends it) may be all he needs to calm the inflammation. Your vet can recommend other therapies if those aren't enough on their own. Also, steroids and other medications are not as effective when B12 and B9 levels are low. Cats with GI issues are usually low in B12 and often low in B9, and deficiencies can take a long time to show up in bloodwork. The injections are inexpensive and have almost no side effects, so they pretty much can only help.

Discuss these steps with your vet and give them a little time to work before trying different foods. You can always move on to different foods or other diagnostics if he doesn't respond. Good luck!
You are a LIFE SAVER! These are exactly the direct recommendations that I needed! The only problem is going to be finding a good vet. The one by our house was closest, had decent reviews + prices, but was not taking in any new clients (and they said many in the area weren't) due to high volume 😥 The one we originally took him to felt questionable in their judgements, has bad reviews, and is pricey. Same thing with the 3rd vet clinic in the area. the last clinic I was considering is a bit of a ride but has amazing reviews (and thus, likely expensive, they're in a good area). I have to call to see if they're taking in new clients though.

all in all, thank you for the resources. I'll check him for signs of dehydration right now. I'd be completely lost if you hadn't told me the inflammation is what we need to calm first-- I was so focused on just getting his poops more shaped with his diet!

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are a LIFE SAVER! These are exactly the direct recommendations that I needed! The only problem is going to be finding a good vet. The one by our house was closest, had decent reviews + prices, but was not taking in any new clients (and they said many in the area weren't) due to high volume 😥 The one we originally took him to felt questionable in their judgements, has bad reviews, and is pricey. Same thing with the 3rd vet clinic in the area. the last clinic I was considering is a bit of a ride but has amazing reviews (and thus, likely expensive, they're in a good area). I have to call to see if they're taking in new clients though.

all in all, thank you for the resources. I'll check him for signs of dehydration right now. I'd be completely lost if you hadn't told me the inflammation is what we need to calm first-- I was so focused on just getting his poops more shaped with his diet!
I'm so glad this is helpful! While it won't fix things if there are other issues present, you won't be able to fix anything until this part is controlled. And it seems like appointments are hard to come by everywhere! One thing you can do now to help with inflammation is add fish oil to his diet. It can be up to 6 weeks before it has an effect, and it will be a mild effect, but it's still very helpful.

Your Cat's Diet and Chronic Inflammation

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad this is helpful! While it won't fix things if there are other issues present, you won't be able to fix anything until this part is controlled. And it seems like appointments are hard to come by everywhere! One thing you can do now to help with inflammation is add fish oil to his diet. It can be up to 6 weeks before it has an effect, and it will be a mild effect, but it's still very helpful.

Your Cat's Diet and Chronic Inflammation
Thank you for posting this, Astragal14 Astragal14 ! Edwina, whom I mentioned above, had surgery last week to remove a few things, including two very inflamed little pieces of her stomach. She also has some thickening of her intestine. Most likely a lot of things (though we'll never know what, exactly, put her over the edge) contributed to the inflammation over her nine years but now I clearly need to focus on a simpler diet with more homecooked food containing more fish oil and some probiotics... I'm looking forward to getting more ideas from our vet next week!

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no lisahe lisahe I hope Edwina is okay!! Did she have an endoscopy or biopsy? Neither one has a fun recovery. And I hope her diagnosis is something very manageable. I'd be curious to hear your vet's recommendations simple, homemade food. Good luck next week! Sending hugs to you and Edwina!
:touched::touched: