Need Advice Here, New Cat Won't Leave Laundry Room.

Little Buddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three cats (now four), three dogs. Everyone brought in at different times, so am familiar with the process of leaving the new comer in it's own space for however long it takes.
My husband called from work. A co-worker giving his cat away after four years. The co-worker got it as a kitten, shots up to date, fixed and declawed. He named her Crew.
I asked a lot of questions (mainly why after so long?) we didn't get any satisfactory answers (allergies developed). We decided to take her in simply because we knew we would provide a good home for her and didn't want him dropping her off at a shelter.

Crew is so very loving. A beautiful calico. My female cat, Harleywood, keeps attacking Crew.
I have three floors. I keep Crew on the first floor, the other two can come and go on the other two floors. One cat is an outdoors cat, they get along fine. I chose the first floor because the 'two troublemakers' rarely go down there. The first month I kept Crew in the laundry room, door open but two baby gates up in doorway to prevent any border crossings. I kept the doorway to the first floor closed, and the only time I opened it was to go down to do the laundry and care for Crew. I would open the top gate, step over the bottom gate and cross through into laundry room. Play with Crew, feed him, do laundry and supervise interactions she had with others at gate. Mostly staring from a distance. I would play with all of them, trying to make it a smooth transition. All have separate food bowls and litter boxes.
They seemed ok before the first incident happened...I had to use the bathroom, just one door down. I kept gate closed. But I heard a cry, saw Harleywood dart up the stairs. And Crew sitting on my water heater in the corner. I've since seen other attacks, where Bumbles (male) or Harleywood attack at the gate. Both paws, nails out. I start all over again. Restrict them from the first floor, keep baby gates up but also close laundry door. Over three months now and making no headway.
I'll play with everyone upstairs, head downstairs to check on Crew. Bring him out of the laundry but he always goes back to the door. She doesn't feel safe. I don't like that. I don't want her going to another home. I also don't want her to live in fear.
Any advice would be very appreciated

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello! Welcome, we're glad you're here!!

Take a look at these - and for Crew, try some music. There's MusicForCats . com, there is an app called Relax My Cat, or classical harp music are all sources of ways to help a cat become more calm.

There are other calming products that you could try for all the cats.

In addition, you might try this;

from valanhb
"You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", the he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.
This trick works when introducing cats into the household, and also when one of them has been to the vet and therefore smells different to the others who didn't go.
"

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Little Buddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vanilla extract...? Hmmm, I'll try that. I'll also try the music tomorrow. I use cat videos for the others, never considered it for Crew. Thank you so much. I am determined to make this work for her. I really, really appreciate your taking the time to respond.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My advice would be to let them attack the gates as long as they are secure. They will get no satisfaction out of unsuccessfully attacking the gates, and the behavior will stop, allowing them to get used to each other through the gates. In other words, stop barring the others from the first floor, that is counter-productive. Cats need a real chunk of uninterrupted time to get used to other cats. If its only once in while, you don't get the benefits and things don't necessarily progress. Currently, your situation is kind of like a friend bringing a cat over once every so often...you don't necessarily make progress that way. They need to have hours together, every day, through the gate until there is calm on both sides for days that way.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is much in what ArtNJ says, although it sounds horrible. There are some things that cats just have to work out for themselves in a safe manner, and if the gates are secure, this will allow that. I tell people quite often that sometimes a cat's gotta say what a cat's gotta say, and once the discussion is done, progress can be made.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah good point Mamany. I need to remember to be sensitive to how it seems when I tell people they have to let their cats work it out.

My personal theory is that cats get tired of maintaining that super-high level of hostility, and if there is no reinforcement of the hostility from actual fighting, they get kind of drained, and end up just sitting in proximity of each other. From there, time in proximity without anything going on helps them get the comfortable with each other. But if you don't let them act out for as long as they needed too, they never get to that quiet time. The early time with the acting out & making noises doesn't count -- need enough time to get to the chill that comes after. So here, if one gets to attack the gate for only a little bit and then go rest, nothing gets achieved.

Little Buddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. These are the four cats, and our chihuahua photo bombed pic with Crew. As you can see, I’ve taken Crew out and have socialized her with one or more pet daily.
Crew is the calico.
Sox is the black short haired outdoor cat.
Harleywood is the furry one watching her cattv. Totally addicted.
Bumbles the Siamese.
Every morning my routine is to lay my laptop on floor for Harleywood.
The others don’t care about cattv. So it never occurred to me that Crew might want to join in. I tried a few times today. She didn’t. But I’ll try again tomorrow. I also put the vanilla extract on all indoor cats. Under the chin and on top of back towards tail.
Here’s what happened.
After the vanilla extract was applied. I laid my pc on floor for Harleywood. Opened up the balcony for Bumbles. Headed down to get Crew. Brought her out and normally I hear H&B on the steps. Today I didn’t. Nor did I see them.
H hid in a far corner and B was hiding under stairs in a cubby hole.
I took off the gate, picked Crew up and left the laundry room with her.
I knew she smelled them because of her reaction...but I didn’t see them. Suddenly Crew began to get frantic. Trying to jump from my arms. Well she can’t hurt me because she is declawed. My other three aren’t. Sox doesn’t bother her though.
Crew gets away and runs toward a bedroom and I see the other two running after her from different directions. I said firmly ‘NO!’ And they did stop. But stayed in position. I watched and waited until I felt B would go forward with an attack. I did forget to tell you, obviously Crew continues a low growl. She gets along ok with dogs and Sox but always growls. Although it’s less often with those same pets.
So I pick B up and put him in laundry room.
Got Crew out from under the bed. Took her upstairs and sat her in the garden box window until I could find H.
As I’m looking, H snuck up behind me and jumped to the window and attacked Crew...drawing blood.
Both paws swatting at Crew. I took Harley away, picked Crew up and put her on a cushion and turned a playpen upside down on top of her.
Got Bumbles out and let them just be. Hoping they’ll smell the vanilla extract. Crew was safe there so I went ahead with my routine.
I’ll try this again tomorrow.
Again. I thank you.

Little Buddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My advice would be to let them attack the gates as long as they are secure. They will get no satisfaction out of unsuccessfully attacking the gates, and the behavior will stop, allowing them to get used to each other through the gates. In other words, stop barring the others from the first floor, that is counter-productive. Cats need a real chunk of uninterrupted time to get used to other cats. If its only once in while, you don't get the benefits and things don't necessarily progress. Currently, your situation is kind of like a friend bringing a cat over once every so often...you don't necessarily make progress that way. They need to have hours together, every day, through the gate until there is calm on both sides for days that way.

Little Buddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're probably right, my only concern...Crew is declawed and the others aren't. I've always cut my cats nails, not certain how to socialize when one is defenseless. But I did try some today. Didn't go so good. But I'll just keep trying. Thank you for your advice.

Little Buddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is much in what ArtNJ says, although it sounds horrible. There are some things that cats just have to work out for themselves in a safe manner, and if the gates are secure, this will allow that. I tell people quite often that sometimes a cat's gotta say what a cat's gotta say, and once the discussion is done, progress can be made.
I like that quote! I'm not thin skinned. If I'm doing something wrong, I want to know so I can get this fixed. Thanks so much.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ah good point Mamany. I need to remember to be sensitive to how it seems when I tell people they have to let their cats work it out.
OH MY! I really didn't mean that you said it badly, just that if you aren't used to introducing cats, it sounds a bit rough, ANY WAY you say it! Sorry, A ArtNJ ! You're one of those people I know will give good advice, and I value you so much!

Little Buddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took your advice to heart. I was hesitant to remove gates because Crew came to us without claws. I read and re-read your advice to me. As you said, I was being like the friend bringing over a cat for a play date. Did I accept that analogy right away? No, had to come to terms with reality. Denial was my friend. But I wanted to help Crew, so I took your advice. It's going well.

Very well in fact. Crew is sleeping on a short book case in front of a window in the living room as I write this. All other pets in same room. No-one seems to care much, but they did at first. No-one wants to rub her or groom her yet. She's still growling quite a bit when they approach. But less and less. Harley still attacks from time to time, but the dogs break it up. So the dogs are accepting her completely and will protect. They weren't happy about it at first, but they're good dogs and have been through this before.

The lazer light helped at times to keep the other two distracted when feeling threatened. I finally put that down and just let them figure it out.

It's working, I thank you.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great, I'm so glad to hear it. It is such a hard thing to do the first time you go through it, but now you know that sometimes, as long as there is no actual fighting and no one is being hurt, cats have to work things out.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
YES! This is excellent! I know how hard it is do take this kind of advice sometimes, but it certainly worked out well for you!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WHAT a lovely cat! She's what is often referred to as a "tabbico," a calico that shows distince tabby markings, as well. I'm a bit of a pushover for calicos and torties of all purrsuasions.