Need Advice From the Feral Colony Experts

Discussion in 'Caring for Strays and Ferals' started by orange&white, Mar 26, 2017.

1. surya

surya TCS Member Alpha Cat

Aug 23, 2010
    Houston
    There's a bunch of babies here I would love to save, but nobody can take them. Maybe I could send you a couple? That would take you mind off of her. :)

2. orange&white

orange&white TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    I disassembled the temporary catio this morning, but left the ice cooler on its side with a blanket in it up on a shelf she can jump up onto. And she has a top shelf for food if she comes around. I'll only leave out water unless I see her.

Overnight, some cat ate all the kibble. The food was also all regurgitated onto the untouched saucer of tuna and the ground. The saucer of chicken and rice and the canned food were untouched.

3. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    I think I'm out of the feral business for awhile.

This was stressful to me and I'm not feeling much reward. I keep thinking terrible things like "What if she gets hit by a car, or a dog kills her, or...or..or..." A lot of people spent a lot of time and energy on her (particularly the wonderful shelter people), and I keep thinking "If something happens to her now, what was the point?" :(

Plus, the middle of last week, I heard a cat in heat over at the apartments crying for a mate. It's just endless.

I know I need to stop worrying. There's nothing else I can do.

On the good side, her kittens will all get homes as will the other little kitten who I dropped off when I picked up Kit Kit. OK, I'm trying to be positive.

4. surya

Aug 23, 2010
    Houston
    I know that feeling. I do believe you have helped. I always think of that story of the guy throwing the starfish back in the ocean.

orange&white purraised this.
  5. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    Kit Kit hasn't been around at all for 9 days now. I inquired with the shelter about her 4 kittens. One of them died and the other 3 are still in foster care. :sigh:

6. surya

Aug 23, 2010
    Houston
    I hope you see Kit Kat again. It is not easy, this rescuing business.

7. vyger

vyger TCS Member Young Cat

Jun 24, 2017
    Northeast Montana
    The method I used for making friends with wild ones, if they get to the point that they don't flee at first sight, --- I used something like fresh chicken in small pieces and get up wind of the cat. This is important, they need to smell you and the food as well as see you. So they can smell that you have something interesting. Get as close as you can without them running and show them the food and place a small piece of it on the ground and then walk away. Never give them enough to fill up on, just enough to make them want more. Maybe do it a second time if they take the first one. Then leave them alone to think about it. Repeat this for several days or weeks if necessary and gradually they will loose their fear of you. They will begin to associate you with good stuff to eat. Let them come to you, the distance between you will get smaller until they will finally take it from your hand. If they take it from your hand they can have all they want to eat but if you put it on the ground that is all they get. They will figure that out pretty quickly.

8. MJO12

MJO12 TCS Member Young Cat

Jun 28, 2017

9. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    Kit Kit was out in the back corner of my yard, close to the apartments, when I got home from work today. 16 days she disappeared. I'm so relieved that she is still alive. I walked out slowly and tossed some kibble in her direction, but she ran away.

This little feral cat is going to worry me to death, and she isn't even my cat.

maggiedemi purraised this.
  10. surya

Aug 23, 2010
    Houston
    I'm glad she showed up. :)

11. vyger

vyger TCS Member Young Cat

Jun 24, 2017
    Northeast Montana
    Don't throw the food in their direction, they think your being aggressive towards them. Figure out where the wind is coming from and then with the wind at your back, so they can smell you and the food, get low like on your knees and hold your hand out towards them and place the food on the ground. Then back up and walk away a little. At the very least they will move forward to see what you left.

12. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    Kit Kit learned that I'm a "kibble thrower" and not trying to hit her with something harmful. ;) That's one of the ways I lured her into coming up and then eating from the trap for a couple days before I set the trap to spring.

She not ever going to be domesticated. 8 weeks at the shelter...they tagged her as "very wild".

I would like to have her hang around my backyard where she'd be safer than the apartment grounds with off-leash dogs, but I think wherever the apartment ferals hang out is her home too.

13. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    Kit Kit made another appearance at dawn, just before sunrise this morning, 19 days since the last siting. She was stalking a small bird. I had taken my first cup of coffee out to the patio when I saw her. I went in to get some unseasoned chicken breast out of the fridge and she had disappeared again when I got back outside.

At least she is surviving. I was afraid she was long gone.

14. shadowsrescue

shadowsrescue Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Apr 27, 2011
    Ohio
    So happy she is still around. I am sure it sets your mind at ease. Hopefully she will return once again when she is more settled.

15. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    I'm not sure it sets my mind at ease, as much as it makes me start a "new round" of daily worrying about her, but I am very happy that she is alive.

I guess I had a pipe dream about her coming around once or twice a day so I could see her and feed her a healthy diet. But I guess she's eating at the apartment complex where she ate before I trapped her, and probably catching live prey.

She only ever came up to my patio for water before TNR. I'm leaving a large bowl of clean water by the small gap in the fence, and another on the top shelf of a shelter/feeding station that I set up, intended for her.

surya and maggiedemi purraised this.
  16. orange&white

Aug 22, 2008
    Texas
    Yeah! I got to feed Kit Kit this morning. :lovecat: Unfortunately, I didn't have any unseasoned meat or canned food ready, but had some grain-free kibble.

The apartment landscapers started mowing. That normally drives several of the feral colony members over my back fence or through the fence gap. I went out and saw a long-haired orange cat and a black cat...and then...Kit Kit! The other cats ran away when they saw me, but Kit Kit sat down. So I was able to get a little bowl of food for her. She let me get about 12 feet away while she ate. She's a tiny, tiny little cat, but looks to be in decent shape.

17. shadowsrescue

shadowsrescue Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Apr 27, 2011
    Ohio
    Such good news! She knows where you are and knows she can come to you for help if needed. Maybe over time she will choose to come to you full time.