Need Advice For Licorice Please~~

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart is breaking and I just had a good cry. I am writing this not so much for sympathy but for some good advice and any resources anyone might know, especially in the U.S. Pacific Northwest.

The dog 3 houses down from us is black border collie. Her name is Licorice and she is THE sweetest dog. I only got to meet her yesterday. I snuck into her yard and sat with her and petted her and brought her treats. The reason I've never met her is that I have never seen her! I hear her on her line, running and yelping, but she is never out. Her family keeps her outside 24/7 and 365 days per year, rain or shine, snow or sleet, tied up to a 30 ft line. She is only 5 but is already aging up to 10 years. When Camille, our wonderful neighbor from New Zealand snuck over to take her out for a walk one night, she reported that Licorice was so winded after just a short while because she just has no cardio.

Now, her yard is nice and she does have a small doghouse for shelter. She does get fed and she does have fresh water. But she has no human contact or minimal at best. She has never played with another dog. They NEVER take her anywhere and she has never left her yard in 5 years according to Camille.

Camille says Licorice cried almost tears of joy when she has quietly gone over there to pet her, and Licorice doesn't even have one toy or one personal item in the entire yard to play with or call her own.

It is haunting me so much I didn't sleep that well last night and I was up crying. I am so heartbroken to find this out. I mean, I had heard her a lot but I assumed she went out for walks and the family (single mom/boyfriend/ young daughter) nutured her.

What can I do? Is this abuse by neglect? Her teeth looked good but her coat needs care. Can I kidnap her and take her to a new home if I can find one for her? what would you do?? Are there any services in the Northwest that anyone knows of, besides Petfinder, that I can post to? What would you do?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How bad is her coat?
If it is obviously neglected, without needing a close inspection to determine, I think I'd just call King County Animal Control.
If it isn't at all obvious, it'll be more difficult.
If it were me, I'd just steal her myself, and foster her with friends until I could find her a loving home, or a no kill shelter with room.

These people may be of more help Pacific Northwest Border Collie Rescue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arlyn, thank you!
No, her coat would be considered "average". It is shiny but she needs good grooming is all. Knots and tufts here and there but it's not bad. Some tartar on her teeth, one or two fair amounts in spots but her breath was good. I would never send her to a shelter, even a no kill, because this is her home, nevertheless. We have a plan to take her at night or on many of the weekends when they are gone and just leave her, like this weekend, but I want a good home first. Thank you for this link.
I will review it and act on it during the week when more will get done.

You are in Utah! We just got back last month. And you obviously know we're in King County~~ hmmmmmm.

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aw! Bless her heart...and yours! That is such a difficult situation...I'd be sooo tempted to take her, but there's so much more to it than that.

My friend was just recently in a similar situation. Her neighbors had a dog and kept it tied to a small line from a tree. The dog had a dog house, but ironically was placed out of her reach.
She had a few things to play with, but again, they were out of her reach.

My friend spent over $100 on things for this dog, including flea control medicine, an automatic feeder and waterer, toys, and a harness and leash and took them over to her. She constantly snuck over there and played with her every day, several times a day.

One ady I went over there, it was raining outside. We drove by, the dog was sitting down on her back end, front end up, next to that tree...no cover, in the mud and pouring rain. The dog just looked at us, motionless, as we slowly drove past. We drove by again about an hour later and saw her in the same position, not moving, and again being rained on.

By then we all had had enough and my friend and her mom and dad started going over there like everyday and voiced their concerns for the dog and it's conditions. They kept mentioning how they would take the dog and find her a new home, since she was not getting proper care and attention at their house.

This went on for several weeks and it FINALLY paid off a few days ago. Finally, one of the owner's daughters came over to my friend's house and told her they had their permission to take the dog to find her a new home. FINALLY they had come to their senses!!!
. My friend's mom took her to the shelter and she awaiting adoption.

My advice would be to act similar to the way my friend did. Maybe go over there and ask if you can take the dog for a walk every once in a while. Start making it clear to them that neighbors are concerned and maybe mention findind it a new home where it can actually get exercise and above all HUMAN CONTACT and love!!!

Sorry this was so long...

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to add real quick...my friend now has one of the dog's puppies. They were also being neglected.

They would have much rather found a good home for it first, over a shelter--but they are keeping close eye on her at the shelter and will not allow her to be put down.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaceyDF

Sorry this was so long...
Lacey, gracious child, don't ever apologize for such a wonderful, heartfelt, and helpful(!!) answer. Nothing is "too long" for me to read. You are such a good spirit and have the best heart. Your thoughts are most helpful. Thank you for your kindness.
-E.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually Animal Control, or a Breed Rescue can be very convincing when trying to get people to relenqish ownership.

Especially if they know that a better home is already waiting.

When I lived in Mississippi, my neighbors had a beautiful bi-color sheltie, which I witnessed them beating on a regular basis.
The dog somehow found his way into my truck when I moved

Such a sweetie he was.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

When I lived in Mississippi, my neighbors had a beautiful bi-color sheltie, which I witnessed them beating on a regular basis.
The dog somehow found his way into my truck when I moved

Such a sweetie he was.
Arlyn.
How long did you have him?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was around 14 when he died, that's a guess, the vet guessed his age around 6 or 7 at the time of his abduction

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
E!!! Thank you so much for what you said. I was just trying to help
. That was the sweetest thing someone has said to me in a while! You've made my horrible week instantly better!

Originally Posted by Arlyn

He was around 14 when he died, that's a guess, the vet guessed his age around 6 or 7 at the time of his abduction
You saved that poor dog's life!!! Thank God...you are an angel!!!

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A similar thing is happening to a beagle near my mom's house, only they keep her in a rabbit cage. Animal control says it is not cruelty and won't do anything. My mom just wishes she had gone over to talk to them before calling Animal Control, because she thinks she may have had better success getting the dog out of the situation. Unfortunately it is perfectly legal. I would take Lacie's advice and start talking to them, try to get the dog. Maybe a neighbor can get in on it too.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks.
I've been a champion of the voiceless repressed my whole life.
Used to drive my mother crazy with all the things I'd bring home to love.

She learned to just expect that sort of thing from me.

Just can't stand to see them mistreated.
I realize that some people are ignorant and still use heavy handed training methods, but this poor guy was just being senselessly beaten, for barking and protecting his home no less.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree you need to do something but in many places stealing a dog is a crime, so be careful! I would go to them and ask if you can walk the dog 'as it doesn't seem to get out much and maybe they don't have time to do it' ANd see what happens. Depending on their answer you can inform authorities or consider your next step.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and by get the dog, I mean butter the jerks up with how much you love their dog and think she's cute so that maybe they'll give her to you. My mom wants so badly to just take that poor beagle, but obviously she could get into big trouble! Also try documenting everything. If you see the dog get hit call the police immediately. Otherwise write everything down that you see happening- with times and dates, etc. That's what the Animal Control guy told my mom to do.

alikatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a similar experience quite a few years ago with my neighbors across the street. They somehow ended up with a puppy who couldn't have been more than a month old, and tied it to a leash that was probably made for a Rottweiler, and tied it to a small tree in their front yard. I waited 2 days, never saw any water given to the pup, nor food, and no attention was paid to it at all. I could hear it cry constantly, so I finally I just walked over there and took the dog off the leash and brought it home. Before I could get out of the yard the dad came out and asked what I was doing and I was maybe 14 at the time, but my mouth was 10x bigger than the rest of me. I told him I was taking the dog, and if he had a problem with it he could call the cops about it if he wanted, but I wouldn't recommend it since I am sure they would LOVE to hear about this poor little puppy that hasn't been fed in 2 freaking days! Needless to say, he let me take him, and we were more or less a foster home for a few weeks till he got healthier and we found a nice family for him to go to.

winwin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Listen to Lacey, she know whereof she speaks ! !

It is important to establish communication with the family that owns the dog, and go from there -- this coming from someone who has learned over the years the right thing to do, because when I was a kid, I would simply steal the dog by being nice to it, and even "help" one or two on occasion to "break" a chain or "dig out" from a fence.

I realize now how good my neighbors were, for as a kid, I am sure they all wanted to horsewhip me, but they instead allowed me to grow up.

Tempting though it may be, do nothing that could run you afoul of the law, for THAT can get expensive in a number of ways.

Leonard.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
E - It's sad that they don't care enough to take the dog on walks, etc. But it's even more sad that they do not allow it in or play with it. I don't know that I would "steal" it. What I would do is to try to find out something about these people and anticipate what might grab at their heart. Then work your magic in trying to convince them how you or someone else will simply die without this dog.