Need advice ASAP!

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is the situation: about a week ago I noticed tapeworm segments around Mustache Man's butt. So a friend told me about diamaticious (sp?) earth food grade and how it can get rid of worms. So I bought a bag. I figured if one cat had it then the others did too so I bought some canned cat food since the DE powder doesn't stick to dry food. I started feeding them only twice a day from the free feeding I normally do. Mustache is a picky eater and I had to get multiple brands and different flavors for him to try. After I figured out that he likes chicken flavor (same flavor as the dry food) which was like two days after I started the DE my one cat G started throwing up a good bit. So after a day of this I gave up...put back their normal dry food and let them free feed again. I went to my local Tractor Supply and bought tape worm meds which I ONLY gave to Mustache Man. Now G is acting strange...he sleeps pretty much all day now, he is drinking still but haven't seen him eat much, and doesn't really want to play.

Before all this...the cats ONLY were fed dry food since the day they were old enough to eat it. I'm just wondering if changing his diet so drastically really messed with him both physically and mentally? Or is it something I should take him to the vet for?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would take him to the vet to rule out any kind of infection.  The stress of the food change may have triggered something. While you're there, pick up the tapeworm med for all of them.  It's usually just one dose and done.   Actually, wet food is far better for kitties than dry food.  Here's a great site with more information on feeding:  http://www.catinfo.org/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was really hesitant on the wet food anyways...I only did it to mix the DE in.

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
diatomaceous earth is often used as an insecticide for fleas because it dydrates the flea's exterior skeleton.

I have never heard of feeding it to cats... I would actually worry about it irritating the cats' intestinal tract because it is abrasive.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I give my feral cats 1/2 tsp food grade DE in their evening meal to treat them for worms. I have never had a problem but every cat is different.

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well at 10p my time...if we are lucky..it will be 48 hrs since G has vomited. The last time he did it smelled VERY foul! Well that scared the living crap out of me!!so even though I only have $10 to my name and my credit it completely SHOT...I am taking him to the vet. He hasn't eaten in like 2 days....BUT he is drinking and peeing so at least he isn't dehydrating. The Vet says that drinking isn't a good thing...that pissed me off! Besides when G gets up to drink...all he does is lay around and sleep in his favorite box...sometimes he'll jump in bed with me to cuddle. And he has NO interest in playing...which isn't like him. G is my buddy...we have been very close since he opened his eyes and clumsily walked/crawled to me.

I want my G buddy healthy and happy. I hope and pray to god that its not serious. I have already mentally prepared myself just incase...if it is something that will just eventually cause him pain and suffering...I REFUSE to let him feel ANY kind of suffering like that...and you guys can figure out what I mean by that....I love him TOO much to do that to him for my own selfish reasons. I don't want to think like that...but I know you shouldn't have favorites...but he is my favorite...and I think if I didn't prepare myself...I just don't know..

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on G 11/14/13

Before the vet:

So I took him to the vet this morning. Found out a few things even before we got to the vet. #1: G feels so crappy and out of energy that he waits until his bladder is about to burst to get up and go potty...which by the way...could be all day. #2: G hates car rides...he pees in his crate AND cries.

Vet Visit:

The vet has a few ideas what it could be. He is leaning towards diabetes or kidney failure. He was dehydrated even though he is still drinking a bunch.  They took blood work, gave him an injection for nausea, gave him SQ fluids, and sent me home with a urinalysis kit because they couldn't get a sample due to his accident in the crate. So now it is just a waiting game. #1 for G to go pee and #2 for the blood results for tomorrow.

If it is what Dr. F is thinking...I would so much rather diabetes than kidney failure...I'd much rather it be nothing though. So we shall see....

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear that G is not feeling well. Since you last posted has he eaten at all? I have not had a cat with diabetes but a few months back my 13 year old boy was diagnoised with ckd. If you find out that G has ckd a good site packed with information is http://felinecrf.org/index.htm. With the fact that he was slightly dehydrated it is likely that his numbers may be slightly off making things look worse than they are, something to keep in mind. Keep us updated on what you hear from the vet. Also if G is not eating let us know have a few things that you might be able to try that will help. By the way how old is G?

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No....he hasn't eaten since the day he threw up that foul smelling vomit....so it has probably been 3 or 4 days. The vet didn't seem to concerned with the not eating but from what I have been reading on here...not eating past day four or five is bad. G is 3 years old.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you took him to the vet. I am not so happy that the vet didn't seem too concern with G not having eaten in 3 or 4 days. The fluids will help some, but he really needs to eat in order to stave off fatty liver disease on top of whatever else is wrong with him. Here is some info on anorexia in cats and why food is so important. This talks about feeding tubes, but I would try syringe feeding first. http://www.catinfo.org/?link=feedingtubes

Here's a video on syringe feeding. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/227858/syringe-feeding-lucky-video-if-your-cat-is-not-eating

At his age, I would be surprised if he has kidney disease, but given the all dry diet, he is at risk of both kidney disease and diabetes. I know finances are tight, but if you can work as much wet food into their diet as possible, it would be better for them. http://www.catinfo.org/ for reasons why.

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At 3 years old I wouldn't suspect ckd, although I do wonder if the de could have caused acute kidney injury. There have been cats that young and younger have ckd, but it is usually more common to see this in older cats.

For food are you only offering dry food right now or wet also. A few things to try with canned food is warming it up in the microwave for a few seconds. This will help to make it more smelly and attractive to your cat. You want to make sure there are no hot spots in it. When I have done this for my ckd kitty I use a pate style food and add some water to it making it some what soupy. Fancy feast classics non fish flavors are good for this nice strong smell and most cats will eat it. When Riley wasn't wanting to eat much the other thing that I would do was hold the bowl with the canned soup mixture near him. I could usually get him to eat some, doing this multiple times he would get quite a bit of food down. If your kitty is feeling nauseus having the food elevated so that he doesn't have to put his head down to much can help. If that fails you can try baby food, the all meat types with nothing added to it, plain cooked chicken breast, or even deli meat like turkey. The important thing at the moment is to get him to eat, not so much what he eats. If these all fail you are going to need to assist feed him with a syringe, there are videos on youtube that show how to do this. If you assist feed you want to make sure to do it slowly and not to place food directly towards the back of the throat so G doesn't aspirate on the food. Hope that you get him to eat something, keep us updated and sending good vibes that G is feeling better soon.

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well right now I'm trying to convince him that this "special black litter" is okay to pee on so I can get this dang urine sample. He just REFUSES to go! Such a hard head.
I tried expressing him but he fusses too much. ANY suggestions?

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
G FINALLY went potty on the urine kit litter!!
 But its after vet hours so I hope the sample is still good tomorrow. So now we move on to the whole eating problem...which I think I'm going to ask about tomorrow when I drop off the sample. For now...he is resting and cuddled with my mom. I have to go to work so i'll update again after the vet. Thanks for the vibes! They are well appreciated.

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, apparently blood work won't be back for 2 to 3 days...so now it is just a waiting game. The vet gave me some food that is very mushy....is there a way I can force feed without a syringe?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once force fed a cat of mine buy using a spoon. I literally sat on the floor and fed her like a baby. But she ate!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes you can swipe the food onto your finger and put it on his mouth which will usually cause him to lick it off. It will be tedious and time-consuming to feed him enough food this way, but you may find that he will start eating more once he starts eating.

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet Update:

The vet called! He doesn't think there is a kidney issue or diabetes. He said that his sugars were up to 210 when the blood was taken but there was no glucose in his urine. That the high sugars are probably a secondary response to another issue which he thinks is an infection. He is not sure which infection but had me pick up a antibiotic called Orbax. He has a dose in him already. Dr F said that if he isn't improving by Wednesday we need to do more invasive stuff which includes hospitalization for at least a day.

Food Issue Update:

The other day I tried feeding him with a baby spoon. I got some in him which lead to yesterdays event. He had a bowel movement...but it was so runny that it got all over his backside and belly. He got his first ever bath! Fun fun...anyway the doc gave me a syringe to feed him and we got a little over an ounce in him. So far so good...he is keeping it down. So fingers crossed!!

I'll keep ya guys updated and thanks for all the positive vibes and thoughts. Keep'em coming!

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update, hoping that the antibiotic works. Let us know how things go.

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have AMAZING news! !

Last night, as I updated yesterday, I syringe fed him and he kept it down! But that's not the AMAZING news! HE ATE ON HIS OWN! AND he is PLAYING a little!

I think he just needed a little assistance to start eating and once he seen that he could keep it down...he figured he could eat. I am SO happy. I'm still continuing his anti-biotic and going to keep an eye on him still but since he is eating; i'm not going to syringe feed him. I am BEYOND ecstatic that he is feeling a little better. He tried hopping up on the kitchen counter today and he couldn't make it so I figure he is still a little weak but that is okay. He is still sick with the infection and not yet 100% but I think he is getting there! I even called the vet office and the receptionist did a little woo on the phone!

HIP-HIP HURRAY FOR G NOT HAVING TO BE HOSPITALIZED!!

Thanks again for all the vibes and good thoughts!!