Need Advice ASAP!

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is the dilemma: I don't know if anyone seen my previous post about Snickerdoodles vet visit (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/251258/vet-visit-for-snickerdoodles#post_3275363) but there is now a SERIOUS problem. She is a 100% better now...well atleast physically. Mentally i'm not so sure.

I had put Snickers in isolation(my room) for almost a week and a half. I let her out and now its like she has never seen the others. She ran into the basement and hid herself in the crevice between the ceiling and the concrete wall. She growls at the others and hisses. She attempted to come upstairs the other day but she saw Lacey and ran back down stairs to her hiding spot. I don't think she has eaten or drank...least I haven't seen. I attempted to block the hole so hopefully she hasn't found her way back up there. She is so miserable! I am really torn. I know in my heart I should try and find a new home for her but i really want to be selfish and keep her here and just hope it works out. We love her so much! I don't know what else to do. And I don't understand after a year of being with the others and getting along fine.....a week and a half ruins it! I feel like a horrible person!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since cats recognize each other by smell, she thinks these are new cats; they smell different from what they did, and so does she. 

A re-introduction is in order, perhaps using the vanilla trick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since cats recognize each other by smell, she thinks these are new cats; they smell different from what they did, and so does she. 

A re-introduction is in order, perhaps using the vanilla trick.

What is the vanilla trick?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Place a dot of cooking vanilla (not perfume) on the chin and root of tail of all cats. This makes them all smell the same to one another....leveling the playing field, so to speak. I have never used the method but I have several friends who swear by it.

However this sounds like something much more serious. Why would you find her a new home? Something is wrong. I strongly urge you to take her to the vet. Especially if she hasn't eaten in more than 24 hours.

Last edited:

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I managed to get her out of the hole and block it off. Also put her in my room long enough to get some food into her. She is still freaking out but i'm just glad she is out of the basement. I think i'm gonna let it all settle down for the night and try the vanilla trick tomorrow. Most of them are sleeping right now and don't want to get them riled up. Thanks for the tip and i'll let you guys know how it goes.

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would a calming collar help her?
That's an idea! I didn't think of that. I currently can't find her anywhere. She was hiding out in the kitchen cabinet. She wants to come out..might be panicking. I bought natural alcohol free vanilla. Lets hope it works!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have issues with my 2, who are litter mates, after every vet visit...even when they go at the same time!  I use the vanilla trick.  

This article also describes methods for introducing cats.  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats  You may have to think of it as starting from square one; as if she had never lived with you before and try these things.  I hope this helps!

8furballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Snickers went missing. Found her where I thought I blocked off. Its so drafty where she was hiding that she was shivering. Moved her back to my room for a few days for her to calm down and get settled back in. Hopefully in the few days I can get that area closed off with foam or something. I don't know what I want to try though. Everyone gave good suggestions! Thanks again guys and i'll let ya know how it goes.