Need advice and recommendations for healthier cat food

sav1297

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m looking to make the switch to a healthier diet for my 8 year old male cat, but he’s a very picky eater and I’m having a hard time finding good options for him. He currently eats one 3 ounce can of wet food (typically weruva or tiki cat) with a pump of salmon oil and freeze dried beef toppings and then two handfuls of hill science diet fry food per day. Ideally I’d like him to have all wet food if it’s within my budget and I can find food he’d actually eat.
I’m trying to find food that is low in sodium, carrageenan free, low on filler ingredients and carbs, has high quality protein, organic if possible, BPA free packaging, and is somewhat affordable. I can’t do a fully raw diet, but I’m interested in maybe giving him freeze dried raw food in addition to wet food. He’s very picky and I have a hard time getting him to eat any type of poultry or rabbit. He’s a big fan of fish, but I’d like to limit how much fish he gets. Also do you guys have any recommendations or thoughts for supplements and additives? Like goats milk, bee pollen, bone broth, fish oil, and any other supplements that could be beneficial. I suspect he could have feline hyperesthesia, allergies, and possibly anxiety so if any supplements could help with these that would be amazing (his vet is aware and we’re currently working on testing him for these things it’s been an ongoing hellish process lol)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know about organic - or the actual sodium level - but Fancy Feast pates are low on filler ingredients and do not contain carrageenan. Many, but not all of them, do contain some level of chicken though.
I am sure others will come along soon with some additional suggestions!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
You knew Weruva is carrageenan free and is bpa free? You might take a look at Feline Natural, or Forza 10.
Goats milk and bone broth are great, The Honest Kitchen is a source:)

Try Cat Music for him, it's amazing.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have picky cats too. Lol All ages! The Fancy Feast pate is something some of mine will eat and some of the Weruva flavors. There are a LOT of different flavors in the Weruva line. I might be more help with the anxiety issue. I have found two things that really help my kitties besides the ,already mentioned, cat music. YouTube has videos of cats purring and of the sound of cat heartbeats. There are also stuffed toys for cats that make heartbeats sounds and some with purring sounds. I bought one of each. I think the heartbeat one worked best here. It replicates the sound of a mom cat but cats of all ages have responded to it. The heart works for 24 hours non stop but you can turn it off as you wish. Some people have used the Feliway diffusers with some success too but my cats didn’t seem to respond to it much. Every cat is different. Although catnip can act as a stimulant, it can also calm some cats. I don’t know if your vet would want you using catnip but if you get the okay for that, keep in mind that each brand has different potency and some brands have added ingredients. I prefer plain catnip that is not the dust like consistency that I find with some brands.