Need Advice and Help. Terrified

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi I need some opinions. Im debating if I should euthanize my cat.

I found out this week that my 15 year old cat has a large clot in his heart. He has not thrown it yet and Is not in heart failure. What I am told is that he has an enlarged heart and some fluid outside of it. With the clot I believe on the left side. He also has high blood pressure.

Eventually this clot I'll dislodge and his end wil be in a painful way especially if I am not aroundn when it happens. It seems like either outcome has the same results, just one where he gets a slightly longer life.

Right now he has a good quality of life eating playing going to the bathroom etc but the thought of him withering in pain is upsetting.

I have such horrible anxiety over the whole thing. I havnt slept much. Barley eating. I want to make the right decision but the answer on what to seems hard to me.

I do not want too long or do to quick.

Help me and cat!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure this is one of the most difficult decisions you will ever make, my heart goes out to you. I truly hope others on this site might have had similar situations and may be able to help, it is very early in the morning here, so an answer may take a while, keep posting a little bit to keep your post at the top. I, myself, would rely on the advise the cardiologist can give you, they have most likely seen this many times, and although they can't pinpoint the time the clot will let loose, they can advise you on what was the most common time frame. It is far better to spare him the pain by being a little early, than to be a day late, in my opinion. 

You have given that sweet boy 15 years of love and a wonderful home, all he ever wanted. I pray you find the strength to spare him the pain of a traumatic death, most would never find out about something like this until it is too late. Please don't hesitate to post here, there is a wonderful connection of informed, experienced cat people who will help you in any way they can. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, and although I can't stop the pain that inevitably will enter your life, I can share your burden and lend you a shoulder to cry on, it helps to have people who understand, please keep us posted.    

cataan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could put your cat on blood thinners now, before it dislodges, and begin shrinking it.  Be proactive and dissolve that clot, then put your cat on routine doses of medication for heart disease to prevent clots from forming.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would talk with an expert vet and find out what your options are.  Not saying you should do anything invasive to your 15 yo baby, just get all the facts.  Maybe, like Leslie, you could go yourself and leave kitty at home.  Too much stress!

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would take a deep breath and wait for cardio advice, you can't know what your choice are until you get there.
I had a very ill cat and put him down Saturday last, I did alot of reading in advance of my choice but it turned out the options I read about weren't available in my country.
Hopes dashed I could not let him live like that or have my kids watch him get worse.
I would not want my cat to have a pain full heart attack or clot in the brain but maybe the expert can tell you how long he is likely to survive after the clot moved seconds of pain might be worth weeks of life ,hour of pain alone would not be my choice.
The best of luck
Sounds like your cat was lucky to be your gor 15 years.
Di and Bob have kind words for us in hard time and good advice.

cataan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you know a clot is there, why not start warfarin or other clot-dissolving treatment right now, and get rid of the clot.  Even if it dislodges, if the cat is on this kind of medication, the clot can continue to be shrunk and his life can be saved.  When my cat was diagnosed with HCM after he threw a clot (we refused to euthanize him when we were told he was in heart failure and had a clot lodged in his leg -- instead we had the clot dissolved while he stayed in an oxygen cage for a few days), I had always wished we had learned of the clot before it left the heart.  You are in that situation and can act PROACTIVELY to dissolve it before it dislodges.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where I live that would be thousands of dollars, when a cat is 15 ( and may I know have 10 years left but also may die of kidney failure next year )that's may not be a choice for some families.

dbljj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hate to say this but I would be in that position as well, No way would I go in debt for tests on a cat while I do NOT even go myself for such things,(cannot afford it). I feel your pain, had to put down my 15 year old orange tabby oct 2015. Such a sweetheart and I have never regretted it. Cannot stand to see an animal in pain..

dbljj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also meant to say you will find lots of support here on this board. You have to do what is best for you and Your situation.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I live that would be thousands of dollars, when a cat is 15 ( and may I know have 10 years left but also may die of kidney failure next year )that's may not be a choice for some families.
I think blood thinners are relatively inexpensive. There is no guarantee you will have success. I believe in supporting the pet owner who knows and loves their pet no matter what the decision is.

ernieboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi friend! 

Man, you and I were in a similar situation a few weeks ago. My cat Charlie passed away on Friday, we put him down to end his suffering due to pancreatic cancer. It was, admittedly, the most difficult decision of my young life, and I am still not nearly over it in any way, shape, or form. The last days of his life, we took him off the insulin and he perked up quite significantly, back to his normal fat orange loving self. I suffer from anxiety, and man, let me tell you- it settled on Charlie. What I do know is this: your cat loves you very much. Anyone- even if they suffer from anxiety or not- would have to face great emotional turmoil to come to the decision to put him down. You will know when it's time. There comes a point, I've realised, where it is selfish to keep a cat alive. The selfishness is entirely understandable, but I know you love your cat, and you will know when the time is right to let him go. 

I wish the best for your fuzzy friend, and as far as anxiety coping goes, I can link you to a couple of distracting games that help sometimes. 

http://mandalacreator.com/

http://dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/dust/

These two are good. Otherwise, you know the drill. Do that deep breathing, ground yourself, and snuggle with that darn cat of yours. Best of luck to him.

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Get the best advice from a vet that you can. See if blood thinners are an option.Take everything into consideration, before making a decision.Do not rush into anything without vet's advice.This is such a very hard decision to have to make.I just lost my Omelette to cancer. I did not put her down.Her story is on the Rainbow thread. Your precious kitty knows that you will make the best decision.Sending hugs to you.Keep posting,we are all here for you.

fantisticat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One thing I will share.  I do believe there are no right and wrong decisions in a situation like this (- and - many, many decisions in life actually).  I hope you will weigh it out.  Make a choice.  Then I hope you will know you made a thoughtful choice, and feel peace with that. 

melaq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Lesliel76  , I'm in the same place as you, which is why I'm here today. I'm looking for insight and experiences from others here too.  Next week I have to make the decision to put my 20 year old boy to sleep and it's breaking my heart. He's still social and active but I know he's in pain and I know I'd rather a peaceful death than a sudden, painful and frightening one. Or worse, that he starts to feel worse and suffers quietly for too long. 

That's the facts of the matter, but I'm also suffering anxiety over this decision.  *hugs*