Need advice about trapping dying cat and also a question about post tnr cat population.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I am starting a new thread because I need advice trapping a dying backyard kitty. He seems trap-wise. I had a trap at a key location, he is always seen at. I had the trap out for a long while with no luck. I was not feeling well yesterday and had to give it up. Not even a half hour later, he is on the deck. I tried to give him the best food I could, he ate very little. He is definitely on his way out. I went around my yard and try to block every exit point with whatever I had available to me. I was in bad shape all last night and barely sleeped. I am trapping again today and strategically put a trap by gate entrance(see pic). I added a few more stones and bricks since to fortify the blocks. This cat is weak, but I believe his buddies helped him escape last night, so I am taking no more chances. If he gets trapped I have up to a certain time to take him to be put down. Any advice you can offer would be appreciated. One more thing I like to add, everytime I tried to get him to go in yard, he runs away and hides. It makes things worse.

My second question is directed to those who work in TNR or rescue organizations or is an affiliate of. I live on a short dead end block right by a railroad. I thought I knew how many cats are on our block, I stayed on good terms with the other feeder until this major falling out (as mentioned on my "At my Wit's End... " post). I believe we may have at least 25 to 30 cats on the block. This summer cats were everywhere, lying on sidewalks, lawns, and even on the streets. The bunch I feed out front are a fixture on the block. At some point there were 10-15 cats hanging on the block. We had a bunch of new neighbors moved on the block this year. One of the neighbors lives right by the other cat feeder and has a toddler and baby. I could see the neighbors being nervous about the whole situation. And ofcourse there are the ones who were complaining and openly saying they put complaints in about me. Not to mention the hostility towards the cats, chasing and throwing things at them, including party snaps. HERE IS MY QUESTION: At what point do you remove cats from a colony or block? Taking into account winter is coming and that means double the feedings and every cat must have access to winter shelters. I feel that cats will fall through the cracks. This other cat feeder, must honestly access this situation and seek help. The tnr group were scolding me over even thinking of taking the cats off the block and putting them in a cat sanctuary. I asked the director of the sanctuary if the cats could temporarily be placed there and maybe he could find adopters for the friendly ones. Anyway, they told me pretty much it was crazy idea, too costly, too overcrowded and the shelter was constantly under threat of shutdown. I told them that the director was only going to work with what we could afford. This man, the director, turned his whole property and house into a decked out cat sanctuary with everything to keep the cats happy and safe. Normally, I don't like animal sanctuaries that have a lot of animals, but this man put his heart and soul into the sanctuary. He goes above and beyond for the cats. It is funny that a few members of this group visited a very large cat sanctuary in another state some years back and had nothing but good things to say about it on social media. Why the change of tune? Anyway, this is my question, if you have a large post tnr cat population in a small area, and you know the neighbors are nervous and unhappy about the situation, is that enough reason to place kitties elsewhere, starting with the friendly ones(adopted out)? I only had the best in mind for the kitties when I was looking for help. I don't think there should be a strictly never remove cats from area policy. I believe do what is best for cats and try to keep neighbors happy, if possible.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Regarding trapping that boy, don't feed him, and try Kentucky Fried Chicken, and/or Carl Buddig ham in the trap - these seem to be almost impossible to resist even for a kitty that's losing interest in food. I'm sending every good thought I have for you!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Regarding trapping that boy, don't feed him, and try Kentucky Fried Chicken, and/or Carl Buddig ham in the trap - these seem to be almost impossible to resist even for a kitty that's losing interest in food. I'm sending every good thought I have for you!!
Thank you. This cat is eating very little and is very trap-wise, so trapping him is extra hard. And everytime I try to lure him in the yard, he runs and hides. Thanking you for sending good thoughts my way, I really could use some encouragment. I have been very sad and frustrated over this situation.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
First question -

Do you know if he responds to catnip usually? I get some anorexic, trap-savvy cats this way.

A laser pointer is also always worth a shot. I know he’s not doing well at all right now, but sometimes they can surprise you. Doesn’t hurt to try.

What have you used for bait so far?

Junk foods like dry Meow Mix and Friskies, or Temptations treats, can sometimes work, especially if you normally feed wet food.

Warm, fried chicken as mentioned above is one of the best suggestions.

Just try to think about stinky and warm. We’ve caught trap savvy cats with fast food burgers, fries, hot dogs, brisket, etc.

However, we’ve also caught cats with cold food like spray butter, spray cheese, and other weird things like that too when traditional baits weren’t cutting it.

Hell, I just trapped a cat with Nok Out enzyme cleaner recently too after realizing most of our cats react to it like catnip for some reason, SO GET CREATIVE! (Disclaimer: the cleaner was not ingested, I just sprayed the bottom of the back of the trap with it)

Try to choose a bait as plain as possible (no spices, condiments, etc), but if you’re sure you’re euthanizing shortly after he’s trapped, then you have some leniency in this regard that you normally wouldn’t. I’d suggest googling any questionable ingredients (asking a vet is better if you have that option) to be sure it’s nothing so toxic in small amounts that he will have quick/severe reaction to it.

Aside from bait... get creative.

- Try camouflaging the trap by covering it and the floor with brush/leaves/dirt/sticks. Alternatively, place it under or behind a bush and cover the floor with dirt/leaves/etc

- You know a TNR group, so ask them if they have a drop trap or know if anyone in the area who does. If you can get within a few feet of him, you can also try a fishing net pole too if they have one.

- Use a plastic carrier or small-medium wire dog crate and tie a string to the door. Let me know if you need me to elaborate on this method.

- If he normally sleeps in a shelter, figure out how to make that shelter into a trap.

Step 1. Sneak up to the shelter while he’s in it

Step 2. Block the entry/exit with cardboard

Step 3. Scoot the trap up the entrance (usually you’re scooting the back of the trap up to it since the door needs to open like a guillotine for this to work)

Step 4. Place something heavy (like rocks or bricks) on top, or behind and at the sides of the trap to keep it from moving in case kitty darts into it

Step 5. Lift the cardboard and trap door

Step 6. Encourage the cat to go into the trap. Try to make the shelter as exposed as you can if possible, and place a blanket on the trap to give it a “tunnel” effect (sides and top covered, both ends uncovered). Then tap, jostle, etc the shelter to get him to go into the trap if he still won’t.

This is much easier with two people, but possible with one (depending on any physical limitations).

Nuclear option - if you are absolutely certain that you can make your yard escape proof, then you can give him a sedative while he’s already within the fenced perimeter.

Alternatively, if you can lure him into your house, in a room, your car, a garage or shed, or any secure and confined space, this will work there too. Just try to block any places he could hide where it would be difficult to retrieve him, and use a covered trap or carrier to create an ideal place for him to hide.

Once in your yard or other confined area, set out a small piece of warm, super smelly bait with the sedative hidden/mixed in. Make sure it’s a small piece to ensure he gets all of the sedative.

To clarify, the bait will not be in a trap. Serve it however he will eat it. Wait until the sedative kicks in, wear protective clothing and gloves, and get him into a carrier.

Hopefully you have a vet who can work with you on this so you can obtain the sedative. If not, plead with local rescues and ask if they have any recommendations for vets who might help and work with you. Get a video of kitty to support your story to a vet/rescue. A rescue may even send someone out to help if it’s very apparent he’s in crisis.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Moxiewild, your replies are always very well thought out. He is not crazy over catnip, oddly enough. I put his favorite Fancy Feast medley in the trap, normally I use tuna or sardines for trapping, but that was used on healthy cats. I trapped one sick cat with a drop trap I own. That would be the next step. Time is running out for this cat, so that will have to be the last resort. I picked up the sick cat mentioned above after his treatments weren't working and put him in a crate in my garage. He fought me a little, but was very weak and he passed away that night.😢 This cat I am trying to trap now is the type to put up a massive fight, even towards the end. So he would have to be sedated to pick up. Right now I am going to check my yard again and make absolute sure if he gets in, he wouldn't be able to get out. Wish me luck.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You have a lot of excellent advice about trapping already given and all I can add is that KFC is what has worked the best for me. I did once have a dying cat who needed to be euthanized and was able to shove him into a carrier that used to be his bed....it sounds sad and mean but it got him to an ER where they could humanely release him as opposed to letting him die in terror as a coyote came toward him.

As for clearing out cats to a sanctuary....in your case, absolutely. The whole idea of not removing them is insane and even if every single one is TNRed there will still be a huge cat population. If you are referring to places like Cathouse on the Kings in CA, I have no issue with placements like that. The last time I checked there, a pretty hefty entrance fee was required which I am assuming your sanctuary is not doing? If the man you are referring to with the sanctuary seems on the level, it is at least a step to remove some of them.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
When to relocate the colony -

Answer: When their current location becomes too dangerous for them, or by force of threat from law enforcement, HOA, etc.

Every major community cat organization says this. Send links/screen shots/print outs from Alley Cat Allies, Neighborhood Cats, Best Friends, Feral Cat Coalition, ASPCA, and other major advocacy organizations where they state this. If you need help finding these, I will send you direct links.

All of these organizations also advocate pulling any friendly cats from a colony to find them a home if at all possible. I can find links for those excerpts too.

Show them to anyone fighting you on this. People are harassing and physically threatening these cats, and you are fortunate enough to have a sanctuary with openings to help you safely relocate them. There’s no reason you shouldn’t do this.

As far as having 25-30 cats on the block - are you sure they’re all TNR’d? That’s the first question, and the first solution.

Second is advocacy, which the TNR group should be able to help you with. Going door-to-door and explaining why the cats are an asset to the area, why removing them won’t fix anything (and may make things worse), and - importantly - asking about specific complaints.

Ex -

If someone doesn’t want a cat in their yard, then provide cat deterrents (like motion activated sprinklers), or suggest how/help them cat proof their fence.

If they don’t want a cat on their car, provide a car cover or scat mat.

If they don’t want them defecating in their garden, provide a scat mat and build and maintain a big “litter box” in your backyard.

Negotiate. Acknowledge their grievances, empathize with their concerns, extend an olive branch, and come up with solutions they might agree to.

I know your budget is tight and you may not be physically able to do some/most/all of these things - worry about that later. Just ask them, “if I can figure out a way to make this happen, would you find the solution satisfactory enough to tolerate the cats presence?”

There’s no point in figuring out the “how” you’ll afford/do these things until you’re sure it’s even an option they’ll agree to. So start with that.

Make it clear that you aren’t promising to do these things right away, but you’re going to try and figure it out if they find it agreeable, and that you will keep them updated.

Like I said, someone in the TNR group should be well versed at this stuff and should be able to help you advocate and educate your neighbors, especially since they’re the ones telling you the cats should not be relocated.

One important thing you need to do is figure out why the cats are there.

If they’re there, it’s for a reason. The environment is supporting them. Shelter, food, etc.

Do you know if someone is feeding the cats that aren’t yours, aside from that one neighbor and the male neighbor who occasionally feeds?

It is possible to do a sort of “do over” if the colony post-TNR is still too big.

First step is relocating some of them, but not all. This will work in the short term, maybe even a few years, which might be enough to placate neighbors.

But if your goal is more long term stability, then it’s not so easy.

I’ll expand on how if you want, but I consider it an option of last resort because most caretakers cannot realistically handle it. It would also require other neighbors and feeders in the neighborhood to cooperate and commit to the same goal, so it may not be feasible in your case anyway due to tensions.

moxiewild

Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you Moxiewild, your replies are always very well thought out. He is not crazy over catnip, oddly enough. I put his favorite Fancy Feast medley in the trap, normally I use tuna or sardines for trapping, but that was used on healthy cats. I trapped one sick cat with a drop trap I own. That would be the next step. Time is running out for this cat, so that will have to be the last resort. I picked up the sick cat mentioned above after his treatments weren't working and put him in a crate in my garage. He fought me a little, but was very weak and he passed away that night.😢 This cat I am trying to trap now is the type to put up a massive fight, even towards the end. So he would have to be sedated to pick up. Right now I am going to check my yard again and make absolute sure if he gets in, he wouldn't be able to get out. Wish me luck.
Using regular/familiar food can often work on trap-savvy cats, as the novelty of bait alone can make them more suspicious. So good thinking!

I would do that and “camouflage” the trap with brush as much as possible.

If it doesn’t work soon, use the drop trap. Drop traps work on the majority of trap-savvy cats so that’s a pretty major thing you have sitting your arsenal right now!

Good luck!!!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
When to relocate the colony -

Answer: When their current location becomes too dangerous for them, or by force of threat from law enforcement, HOA, etc.

Every major community cat organization says this. Send links/screen shots/print outs from Alley Cat Allies, Neighborhood Cats, Best Friends, Feral Cat Coalition, ASPCA, and other major advocacy organizations where they state this. If you need help finding these, I will send you direct links.

All of these organizations also advocate pulling any friendly cats from a colony to find them a home if at all possible. I can find links for those excerpts too.

Show them to anyone fighting you on this. People are harassing and physically threatening these cats, and you are fortunate enough to have a sanctuary with openings to help you safely relocate them. There’s no reason you shouldn’t do this.

As far as having 25-30 cats on the block - are you sure they’re all TNR’d? That’s the first question, and the first solution.

Second is advocacy, which the TNR group should be able to help you with. Going door-to-door and explaining why the cats are an asset to the area, why removing them won’t fix anything (and may make things worse), and - importantly - asking about specific complaints.

Ex -

If someone doesn’t want a cat in their yard, then provide cat deterrents (like motion activated sprinklers), or suggest how/help them cat proof their fence.

If they don’t want a cat on their car, provide a car cover or scat mat.

If they don’t want them defecating in their garden, provide a scat mat and build and maintain a big “litter box” in your backyard.

Negotiate. Acknowledge their grievances, empathize with their concerns, extend an olive branch, and come up with solutions they might agree to.

I know your budget is tight and you may not be physically able to do some/most/all of these things - worry about that later. Just ask them, “if I can figure out a way to make this happen, would you find the solution satisfactory enough to tolerate the cats presence?”

There’s no point in figuring out the “how” you’ll afford/do these things until you’re sure it’s even an option they’ll agree to. So start with that.

Make it clear that you aren’t promising to do these things right away, but you’re going to try and figure it out if they find it agreeable, and that you will keep them updated.

Like I said, someone in the TNR group should be well versed at this stuff and should be able to help you advocate and educate your neighbors, especially since they’re the ones telling you the cats should not be relocated.

One important thing you need to do is figure out why the cats are there.

If they’re there, it’s for a reason. The environment is supporting them. Shelter, food, etc.

Do you know if someone is feeding the cats that aren’t yours, aside from that one neighbor and the male neighbor who occasionally feeds?

It is possible to do a sort of “do over” if the colony post-TNR is still too big.

First step is relocating some of them, but not all. This will work in the short term, maybe even a few years, which might be enough to placate neighbors.

But if your goal is more long term stability, then it’s not so easy.

I’ll expand on how if you want, but I consider it an option of last resort because most caretakers cannot realistically handle it. It would also require other neighbors and feeders in the neighborhood to cooperate and commit to the same goal, so it may not be feasible in your case anyway due to tensions.
Thank you Moxiewild. As far as I know there was one male cat not tnred being feed by the other feeder. I seen new faces this summer, I think most if not all were eartipped. There was no mating going on, or pregnant cats. We haven't had kittens on our block for 2 years. Most of the cats on the block are 2 years old or older. So i like to think we are stable, but as mentioned there were some new faces, cats the other feeder never told me about. Some of the older cats start passing away. The dying cat previously mention is only 4 years old. I guess this is a lesson to us to nip everything in bud with the outdoor kitties. Two years ago was absolutely crazy -- pregnant cats on the block and litters of kittens everywhere. I got tnr certified and trapped along side that tnr group. They really helped us out, my hats off to them. I want to never see something like that again. It is sheer insanity to allow that to continue. So that is how we have the cat population we currently have. My neighborhood has a cat problem even befor eI moved here. It just came to my block in the last while.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
You have a lot of excellent advice about trapping already given and all I can add is that KFC is what has worked the best for me. I did once have a dying cat who needed to be euthanized and was able to shove him into a carrier that used to be his bed....it sounds sad and mean but it got him to an ER where they could humanely release him as opposed to letting him die in terror as a coyote came toward him.

As for clearing out cats to a sanctuary....in your case, absolutely. The whole idea of not removing them is insane and even if every single one is TNRed there will still be a huge cat population. If you are referring to places like Cathouse on the Kings in CA, I have no issue with placements like that. The last time I checked there, a pretty hefty entrance fee was required which I am assuming your sanctuary is not doing? If the man you are referring to with the sanctuary seems on the level, it is at least a step to remove some of them.
Thank. Sadly, the kitty is still roaming. He was seen nearby less than a hour ago. I have a gate open and a deck light on. If he comes in, I will lock the gate behind him, everything is secure, no escape. I have to head out now, so I can't trap to night. I will leave him in the yard with no escape route. If he passes peacefully, let him do it in my yard.

Thanks for your advice with the post tnr cat population. The cat sanctuary was a no go when the other feeder went berserk on me. I don't know what I can do from this point on. Everywhere i call, everyone is struggling because of being setback by the Covid 19. I I may have to suck it up and ride it out for the winter. This is a really rough year for all.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank. Sadly, the kitty is still roaming. He was seen nearby less than a hour ago. I have a gate open and a deck light on. If he comes in, I will lock the gate behind him, everything is secure, no escape. I have to head out now, so I can't trap to night. I will leave him in the yard with no escape route. If he passes peacefully, let him do it in my yard.

Thanks for your advice with the post tnr cat population. The cat sanctuary was a no go when the other feeder went berserk on me. I don't know what I can do from this point on. Everywhere i call, everyone is struggling because of being setback by the Covid 19. I I may have to suck it up and ride it out for the winter. This is a really rough year for all.
I meant to say leave the gate open and when I come back if he is in the yard, then lock him in. Wish me luck.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I am starting a new thread because I need advice trapping a dying backyard kitty. He seems trap-wise. I had a trap at a key location, he is always seen at. I had the trap out for a long while with no luck. I was not feeling well yesterday and had to give it up. Not even a half hour later, he is on the deck. I tried to give him the best food I could, he ate very little. He is definitely on his way out. I went around my yard and try to block every exit point with whatever I had available to me. I was in bad shape all last night and barely sleeped. I am trapping again today and strategically put a trap by gate entrance(see pic). I added a few more stones and bricks since to fortify the blocks. This cat is weak, but I believe his buddies helped him escape last night, so I am taking no more chances. If he gets trapped I have up to a certain time to take him to be put down. Any advice you can offer would be appreciated. One more thing I like to add, everytime I tried to get him to go in yard, he runs away and hides. It makes things worse.

My second question is directed to those who work in TNR or rescue organizations or is an affiliate of. I live on a short dead end block right by a railroad. I thought I knew how many cats are on our block, I stayed on good terms with the other feeder until this major falling out (as mentioned on my "At my Wit's End... " post). I believe we may have at least 25 to 30 cats on the block. This summer cats were everywhere, lying on sidewalks, lawns, and even on the streets. The bunch I feed out front are a fixture on the block. At some point there were 10-15 cats hanging on the block. We had a bunch of new neighbors moved on the block this year. One of the neighbors lives right by the other cat feeder and has a toddler and baby. I could see the neighbors being nervous about the whole situation. And ofcourse there are the ones who were complaining and openly saying they put complaints in about me. Not to mention the hostility towards the cats, chasing and throwing things at them, including party snaps. HERE IS MY QUESTION: At what point do you remove cats from a colony or block? Taking into account winter is coming and that means double the feedings and every cat must have access to winter shelters. I feel that cats will fall through the cracks. This other cat feeder, must honestly access this situation and seek help. The tnr group were scolding me over even thinking of taking the cats off the block and putting them in a cat sanctuary. I asked the director of the sanctuary if the cats could temporarily be placed there and maybe he could find adopters for the friendly ones. Anyway, they told me pretty much it was crazy idea, too costly, too overcrowded and the shelter was constantly under threat of shutdown. I told them that the director was only going to work with what we could afford. This man, the director, turned his whole property and house into a decked out cat sanctuary with everything to keep the cats happy and safe. Normally, I don't like animal sanctuaries that have a lot of animals, but this man put his heart and soul into the sanctuary. He goes above and beyond for the cats. It is funny that a few members of this group visited a very large cat sanctuary in another state some years back and had nothing but good things to say about it on social media. Why the change of tune? Anyway, this is my question, if you have a large post tnr cat population in a small area, and you know the neighbors are nervous and unhappy about the situation, is that enough reason to place kitties elsewhere, starting with the friendly ones(adopted out)? I only had the best in mind for the kitties when I was looking for help. I don't think there should be a strictly never remove cats from area policy. I believe do what is best for cats and try to keep neighbors happy, if possible.
Sad update. There is no sign of this kitty. He most likely passed away. He was seen roaming around last night. I did everything to lure him into my yard, but he had no desire to go in it. My sister last saw him go down by the semi-forested area by the railroad. It is a fenced off restricted area. That area has racoons and opposums and it is a very rough to walk around in. I went in there years ago looking for another cat and it was nasty with abrasive shrubbery and broken branches everywhere. I trip over a branch and because this area has a slope, I went flying and took a hard landing. Bloody and all banged up. I learned my lesson. RIP buddy. You will never be forgotten.😢

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I have had ferals remain untrappable and never return. It is very hard when there is no closure; he may still appear but try to remember all that you did for him to help him while he was around you.
Thank you. It always breaks your heart to see them go downhill and die . I really tried to trap him and had planned to have him euthanized, but he had other plans it seems. Poor baby.😢