need advice about my Tiger

beardrinksbeer

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got Tiger from the RSPCA 2 weeks ago.  he was in the pound with his mum & sister.  Tiger was cuddled up to mum & the sister was hiding in a box & doesn't like to come out

for the first week, Tiger was hiding behind the couch during the day, but would come out at night.  I moved the couch a few times during the day & he would come out & cuddle up & eat for 5 - 15 minutes, then he would go back behind the couch.  as the week went on, he stayed out a little longer, he even was watching the wallabies & birds eat.  one thing I noticed, Tiger was fine if I was standing or sitting, but once I get on all fours, he had the look of terror on his face

I tried to take him out a few times to have a closer look, but just wanted to jump down & go back inside.  one wet night a possum was high up on the verandah so I took Tiger outside to meet the possum & he rubbed noses with it, he was fine, it was nightime.  after a few goes outside during the day I thought he got used to it, so I closed the door behind us, so he can't run inside; he ran under the chair, the table & finally off the end of the verandah; under the house where I can't reach.  I called him a few times but he did not budge.  I had a look later & he was still there.  In the arvo he stuck his head at the end of the verandah, I went out to get him & he took off under the house again

as night fell, I got my torch & had a look, Tiger was gone, no where to be seen

no sign of him the next day.  at night I was turning everything off inside as I was going to bed, then I thought I heard something.  I went outside & it was Tiger under the house looking at me.  I grabbed some food & the torch but Tiger kept running away as I got near him; he would not come to the food as I was near it.  Tiger was meowing the whole time as he was moving so I followed him up the back & then he doubled back & I lost him as he stopped meowing

the next day Tiger did not show up until sunset, I went outside & meowed & he meowed back & kept on meowing as I was talking to him, he only stopped meowing when I asked him what he was going to eat after he ate all the rats & mice

Tiger will be 2 years old in December.  I rang up the RSPCA & the lady said the sister is out going with her mum now, not hiding in the corner.  Tiger has gone like his sister was.  it looks like they can't be away from their mum as they get funny in the head, I wonder what happenned with the previous owner.

what should I do with this situation?  should I feed Tiger?  should I not feed him?  should I trap him & send him back to the pound where his sister will go back into her hole?  I wanted to take all 3 of them but the RSPCA lady wanted $600 for all 3, I can't afford that on a pension.  should I keep Tiger as I wanted a cat to get rid of the rats & mice, & let him live outside?  should I just wait to see if he wants to come back inside?  should I ignore him?  should I talk to him? 

I was teaching Tiger about why all the animals come to my place to eat as they all feel safe & they get on with each other, that is why I showed him the possum, as I don't want Tiger to hurt them; I have a conservation covernant on my 200 acre property, so all flora & fauna are protected (I got special written permission to have George P. Cat) 

any advice would be appreciated

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leave food for him or he will probably starve to death. Cat's don't all know how to kill rats and mice. They have to be taught to do that by their mothers as kittens. If he does know how to hunt mice and rats, he will do that even if you feed him. Feed him at the same time every day so he will be watching for you to come out with the food. Then as he gets used to you, you can slowly start petting him and get to know each other. You could trap him and keep him indoors longer, until he gets to know you. I think you let him go outdoors too soon. He has to learn to trust and love you. Without human contact, he will become feral. But keep making the effort to spend time with him and it will be OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beardrinksbeer

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it has been 2 weeks since Tiger has been outside

guess what?  he is now inside & I have the scratched up hands to prove it

after 3 hours he is finally settling & stopped meowing; he is even sleeping on a stool next to me, unlike being behind the couch all the time like he was when he first came here

I rang up the RSPCA lady & I we have worked out where to go from here

I will take Tiger back to where he came from, but he already has another place to go to.  he will be going to a monastary to catch all the mice

he will love it there & I will tell the ladies what he likes to eat & I will visit him everynow & then to make sure he is OK; plus take him some chook necks

when he goes back to the pound, he will be with his sister, as his mum has found another home; I think Tiger just misses his mum, but he will have a new adventure to look forward to

I will have a week with him to teach him things & get him ready for the monastary

he can stay outside all the time there, un-like here where I want someone to cuddle & talk to

he has done an amazing job getting rid of all the mice around here, that is why he kept coming around every night for a feed; he will be perfect for the monastary

I have just 1 more week with Tiger before he goes

I will miss him when he goes