Need a special cat tower

TheSpacePope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I have a VERY large frame American shorthair cat, who is only 6 years old, but has lukemia and is kinda slowly getting to what I'd normally consider like an aging cat level of mobility. I've been searching for a cat house/tree/tower for him for months now, but I'm not really sure where to find what I need. He's huge...he only weighs like 16lbs, but he's super big...and has a hard time walking correctly, as neuropathy is something he developed from his kidneys and pancreas failing in relation to his lukemia, so he can't really jump up onto the high cat towers.........and to top it all off, he loves sleeping on the hard flooring...even the concrete in our garage if we let him in there. So I was thinking maybe just a wooden platform tower, instead of the carpeted type. Do any of you know where I can find something like that? Or where to even begin looking? I'd appreciate any help.

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This one seems decent. Frisco 28.5-in Modern Cat Tree & Condo, Natural - Chewy.com You can even not attach the top part so he has the whole wooden platform to lay on. You don’t neccesarily have to look for cat specific products. This cubby bench is a great option. You can place a ramp or stairs on the side so your cat can get up. You can also put a blanket or pillow in the cubby holes: ClosetMaid KidSpace 24 in. W x 17 in. H White 2-Cube Bench Organizer-1494 - The Home Depot
You can also just buy a wide book shelf and put it next to a couch or somewhere where your cat can get to it. I bought my cats an expensive cat tree and they prefer my dresser over it. Cats just like to sleep high up. I hope this helped! Also you can just look up cat trees for big cats, there might be some more options to consider. If one of them is almost perfect, think of a way to diy it to make it work. Making your own ramp for accessibility shouldn’t be too hard. :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheSpacePope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oof, I meant lymphoma in my original post...that's what I get for trying to solve problems when I should be asleep. I'm still searching for a better solution, but I did take ChunkyNaomBaby's DIY tip and decided to purchase a cat staircase and will place it next to a dresser so he can just run up there and lay on the dresser. Hopefully I can find/make an actual tower for him at some point soon :).

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Let me ask..., daftcat75 daftcat75 , would what you set up for your Krista be of help here?
Oops! I missed the call here. I was just wandering through and found this thread anyway.

Krista isn't much into jumping at the moment because of her inner ear neurological stuff or perhaps weakened bag legs from all the weight/muscle mass she's lost. I have several stair type trees that she doesn't bother with anymore. Her favorite right now is the one with the hide hole on the ground.

Something like this:
Frisco 24-in 2-Story Faux Fur Cat Condo, Cream - Chewy.com

Except she likes to curl up in the ground floor hole.

If I were to spend more money on another stair type tree (and I just might...), this one just caught my eye:
Frisco 32-in Real Carpet Wooden Cat Tree with Toy, Beige - Chewy.com

The steps seem big enough for her to hang out on them while also being climbable if she's not up for jumping.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
has a hard time walking correctly, as neuropathy is something he developed from his kidneys and pancreas failing in relation to his lukemia, so he can't really jump up onto the high cat towers.........

T TheSpacePope is the neuropathy being treated in any way? If not, ask the vet. Diabetic cats who have neuropathy take a daily dose of methy cobalamine, a form of vitamin B12, and the neuropathy goes away after after awhile. The most recommended brand of methyl cobalamine to use is Life Link.