Need A New Refrigerator

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday evening I discovered that our refrigerator was having issues. To wit: top mounted freezer not freezing, water dripping out of refrigerator compartment, and something noisy is running, running, running.

This morning freezer is still not freezing but is cool, the towel I put down last night is damp but not saturated, and something is running, running, running but quietly.

It is a Maytag that we bought in 2004.

I want a plain white, do not want ice / water dispenser. Have always had top mounted refrigerator but willing to consider bottom mounted.

Thinking Whirlpool.

Now calling appliance store to see if anything is available.

TIA for any comments, suggestions, recommendations.

UPDATE Appliance store is 6 to 18 MONTHS for delivery. Trying big box stores

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I know that Winchester Winchester just got a new GE. She might have some ideas. She had to wait a long time for it to be delivered, though. :(

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Do NOT even look at a Samsung! Or an LG for that matter. I heard a lot of good things about Whirlpool and GE on the FB site I hung out on.

We ordered our GE French door in June. It came in November. I know that some people ordered fridges as far as a year ago and still haven’t received them. But that was from smaller stores, not big boxes. You actually might find something at a Lowes, depending on what you want.

HINT: Buy a 5-year warranty. Fridges don’t last long anymore. I am serious.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
We also had a bad experience with a Samsung refrigerator. We currently have a GE and are happy with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the story.

Called Lowes. They had both a GE and a Whirlpool in the dimensions I need, in white, top freezer, no water / ice in door. Complete the order before 2:00 pm today and I could have it delivered tomorrow.

Off I go.

Whirlpool is promptly knocked out of contention. Only one temperature control that does BOTH refrigerator and freezer.

And I just did not like the interior of the GE. Which was over $1,000

Off I go to Home Depot. Very nice man in appliance section. Off topic - he has one cat, Caroline. His wife rescued Caroline and her brother as 5 week old kittens from a farm where they were going to be killed. Brother died from FIP at age 2 years but Caroline is still doing fine several years later.

Anyhow, back to refrigerators.

I bought an LG which will be delivered in a week, on next Wednesday. (Himself said I should not ask for a big red bow on the carton.) I like the interior best of everything I looked at. It will be in white, has separate freezer / refrigerator temperature controls, and they will swap the door hinging from right to left at no charge. And charge $25 to take the old one away, which is less than what Lowe's would have charged.

The LG is a few hundred dollars less expensive than the GE at Lowes. But since I did not like the GE I would not have cared if it was the other way around.

What I do find odd is that my 17 year old Maytag has a separate light inside the freezer, which is very nice. And nothing that I looked at today had a light in the freezer.

Now I need to unload the top freezer, which is defrosted. Will be busy cooking. And think I will put the picnic coolers, when loaded up with refrigerator contents, outside the front door. When it is colder than 42 degrees I'll open their lids, close when warmer and at night.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you found something quickly! A couple we are friends with have 4 kids so they've had a 2nd fridge for a lot of the food they go through. It's an older one and starting to go so they've been asking around if someone is getting rid of a fridge to let them know... and it seems like no one is doing that these days.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love those big French door fridges with all the bells and whistles, but I also don't want/need a water/ice dispenser (the one at my last house leaked and also I don't want to run a new water line), and they all have that! So I guess I'll have to get a standard model when I go fridge shopping again.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And think I will put the picnic coolers, when loaded up with refrigerator contents, outside the front door. When it is colder than 42 degrees I'll open their lids, close when warmer and at night.
Get a few blocks of ice for the coolers if you want to keep them really cold. They take up room if your cooler is small, but when we go camping, we always have a couple blocks at the bottom of our coolers and there is still a decent chunk left of it that didn't melt at the end of our week long camping trips. Not sure how cold it gets where you are...Here I could just put my frozen stuff outside and it would stay frozen, but if you're dealing with the potential of it getting a bit warm during the day, an ice block would help dramatically.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willowy I don't have the space for a French door unit - cabinet to the left and granite countertop on cabinets to the right.

Jem Jem Should be O.K. Normally a refrigerator should stay at about 38 to 42 degrees F. Last night's low temperature was 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Even with the coolers closed the meat is a little bit frozen on the surface.

Now busy throwing food away. It really bothers me but there is no place to keep it and it is beginning to stink. Don't really care about olives and soy sauce but also some meat that I overlooked in freezer and it is now 55+ degrees F in there. We will be unplugging the refrigerator as soon as it is empty.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The most important thing is that you found one that you like and that you can get it delivered quickly.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We had to buy a refrigerator last year. Everything was backordered and we had to buy what they had. We ended up with a Whirlpool and I do not love it.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New LG refrigerator with top freezer was delivered about 9:00 a.m. this morning. I guess it is O.K. but the defunct Maytag was a better made, better designed unit. Ah well. At least this one is chilling.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
New LG refrigerator with top freezer was delivered about 9:00 a.m. this morning. I guess it is O.K. but the defunct Maytag was a better made, better designed unit. Ah well. At least this one is chilling.
They don’t make ‘em like they used to. I’ve had my Kenmore washer and dryer since 1997, and I dread them going belly up.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Maytag was 17 years old. Not complaining - it didn't owe us anything.

But - the freezer had a light. When it arrived back in spring 2007 I thought that was a little odd, then I became accustomed to this handy feature and took it for granted. And now, none of the refrigerators I looked at had a light in the freezer. Such a simple, handy idea. Why is it not a standard feature? Perhaps I shall clip a flashlight to the outside of the door.

Apparently all refrigerators hinge on the right with option to reverse to left. You guessed it. The doors had to be swapped over when it was delivered today. Which was done. The refrigerator door is fine. The freezer door - not so fine. Himself is reading the owners manual and will make the necessary adjustments.

I didn't want an in-door water / ice dispenser. But it is a good thing I kept the ice cube trays from the Maytag because the LG comes sans any ice cube tray. Not even one.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our new GE has a light in the freezer. I'd be lost without it.
I realized that I cannot live without a water/ice dispenser; I told Rick that the ice falling was probably one of the sweetest sounds I've heard this year! :paperbag:

FWIW, I read an article some time ago that said the expected life expectancy of today's fridges is about 5-7 years. Our old GE, from many moons ago, lasted us 25 years. That will not happen with this GE...too many things can go wrong with today's appliances.

I hope you get many years of pleasure from your fridge.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the plus side, when I had to replace my '70s-era fridge, my electric bill went down by at least $20 a month. And that was 10-15 years ago; I imagine the newer ones are even more efficient.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Himself checked and the top of the unit is level, the top of the door is level, the top of the refrigerator door is level. There is a rubbing noise when freezer door is closed.

Gave up, called Home Depot. The salesman at the appliance department will call the delivery service and they will arrange an appointment to come and deal with the rubbing noise. I said we will be here any day they can come.

And new years holiday is fast approaching. Food is still in coolers outside the front door. Bah humbug. Now not merely grumpy. I'm definitely not happy.

Update: Just got a call from Home Depot. Someone will come on Monday, January 3 2022. Will call the night before to mention approximate time slot. Meanwhile, go ahead and use the unit. I think I will refrigerate but forget about ice cream.

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today's update -

I am beginning to dislike this refrigerator.

The energy efficient LED light in the refrigerator compartment lights the front of the unit nicely. The back of the shelves is in the shadows.

The butter compartment in the door will hold a stick of butter. The box of not-butter Smart Balance is just a smidge too big for the swiveling compartment cover to close.

An aside - I do remember once going to choose a refrigerator with an empty Riesling bottle to be sure it would fit. Do I now need to go with a bag of assorted groceries to check more items?

Apparently so because I overlooked the fact that while there are two slide out drawers at the bottom for fruits and vegetables there is not any drawer for cold cuts and cheeses.

I have a drawer from some long forgotten refrigerator that Himself will put glides on the bottom, that will sit on a shelf. Will cobble something transparent for a lid.

On the positive side - it stays cold and is very quiet when running. Energy Star rating means we will be able to file for a rebate from the power company.

Stay tuned for further developments

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The plot thickens or should I say sickens in the ongoing saga of my refrigerator

I think the delivery men were not competent.

Remember the LG was delivered on December 29. The delivery men swaped the door hinges from right to left. Then they left. We removed plastic tape on shelf front, doors etc. Discovered that when open freezer door is closed there is a rubbing noise. Called Home Depot that afternoon. Man in appliance department said he'd call delivery company and get right back to me. Which he did. Someone would be here today, January 3, 2022. I was not happy but accepted it, what with New Year etc.

Guess what? No one called today, no one came today. Called Home Depot mid-afternoon. Delivery company has no work order, no one was scheduled to come today.

Now scheduled for January 10.

P.S. The crisper drawers at the bottom had a sort of squeaky noise. Himself found a small block of styrofoam that was used to wedge them in place while in transit. That the delivery men had left in place. Let me repeat it - I think the delivery men were not competent.