Need A Long-Term Stool Softener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat_Herder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Rascal is 15 or 16 at this point, and has suffered from chronic constipation off and on for the last several years. I've tried all manner of things to try and keep her plumbing from locking up, and she's been to the vet for enemas several times.

After a recent bout almost killed her, I started feeding her blended concoctions consisting of fish-based wet food, 2 teaspoons of pumpkin, 3 teaspoons of water, and whatever medications I decide to give her that day. It has the consistency of baby food, but it too often turns to rocks inside her intestine.

Laxatone is somewhat effective, when I can get her to take it. Using a blender helped for awhile, but now Rascal can tell when it's in the food. She gives it a sniff and then scratches the floor to register her dissatisfaction.

Miralax seems effective, and Rascal is none the wiser, but it sounds like I can't give it to her long-term without risking problems.

I need something I can add to her food each day, to help keep her stool soft in a more natural way. Maybe milk, or oil or something? Any thoughts?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why can't you give Miralax long term? Many of us do. As long as you're making sure it's dissolved before adding it to food, it shouldn't cause any issues.

Some other members even use it for their cats with other underlying healthy issues. I'm sure they can share the research or you can search Miralax on this site to find it :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat_Herder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll gladly keep giving it to her if the consensus here is good. It's just that some vet websites discourage it. Of course, without some laxative assistance, Rascal will die anyway. So it's all relative.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Cat_Herder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are these?

What are the problems?

Is she overweight?

Tips in this article may help, and discuss with your vet but you might consider Hydra Care;

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles
The vet prescribed Cisapride a few months ago, but I think I'm giving up on that one because it doesn't seem to do anything. Apart from that, I give her Laxatone or calorie gels or Miralax or slippery elm or whatever additive I'm trying out at the time.

The problems with Miralax are supposedly dependence, or drawing too much water out of her system, or some other vague warnings.

She was 10 pounds and fit, but dropped to 8 pounds during her last bout of serious constipation. I'm still trying to get her weight back up.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've used Miralax semi-long term (1-2 years) with no problems. My cat actually got worse with pumpkin :( I've read pumpkin can work either way (loosen stools or harden them) but my experience is it's not as good for constipation as it is diarrhea but YMMV.
He did well on a very low ingredient meat based food with the minimum Miralax dose, twice a day. I was very happy because it's odorless and flavorless and was very easy to hide in food. (It was either 1/8 tsp or 1/4 tsp twice a day, it's been awhile and I don't remember for sure.)
Has she had ANY problems with diarrhea during or prior to this?

Cat_Herder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've used Miralax semi-long term (1-2 years) with no problems. My cat actually got worse with pumpkin :( I've read pumpkin can work either way (loosen stools or harden them) but my experience is it's not as good for constipation as it is diarrhea but YMMV.
He did well on a very low ingredient meat based food with the minimum Miralax dose, twice a day. I was very happy because it's odorless and flavorless and was very easy to hide in food. (It was either 1/8 tsp or 1/4 tsp twice a day, it's been awhile and I don't remember for sure.)
Has she had ANY problems with diarrhea during or prior to this?
I'm giving her 1/3 tsp twice a day for a few days last week, and now again. I'll reduce the dose once she's "clear".

The only problems she's ever had with diarrhea have stemmed from my various constipation remedies over the years, like when I gave her castor oil. Otherwise her stools are hard.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
slippery elm or whatever additive I'm trying out at the time.
I've read that marshmallow root is a little better for constipation.

There are other recent threads here that mention being able to use miralax long term, both for people and cats. It's also now being considered better by veterinarians than lactulose because miralax doesn't draw hydration from the rest of the body like lactulose does.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm giving her 1/3 tsp twice a day for a few days last week, and now again. I'll reduce the dose once she's "clear".

The only problems she's ever had with diarrhea have stemmed from my various constipation remedies over the years, like when I gave her castor oil. Otherwise her stools are hard.
This sounds a lot like my cat I had, his stools were like rocks. I'd pick them up with a paper towel and wonder how on earth did he manage to pass it. Does she strain for a long time, or does she not even seem to have the urge/strength to do so?
You said she's 15/16. Is she active, or even still playful? If not, do you think she would at least move around if you brought out a wand or even a laser pointer?

Cat_Herder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read that marshmallow root is a little better for constipation.

There are other recent threads here that mention being able to use miralax long term, both for people and cats. It's also now being considered better by veterinarians than lactulose because miralax doesn't draw hydration from the rest of the body like lactulose does.
She was actually on Lactulose too, for 2 weeks after her last enema. It seemed to work fairly well, but it was only a short term prescription.

This thread is making me feel better about Miralax. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Cat_Herder

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This sounds a lot like my cat I had, his stools were like rocks. I'd pick them up with a paper towel and wonder how on earth did he manage to pass it. Does she strain for a long time, or does she not even seem to have the urge/strength to do so?
You said she's 15/16. Is she active, or even still playful? If not, do you think she would at least move around if you brought out a wand or even a laser pointer?
Yesterday and the day before, she spent most of the day straining HARD to pass her latest lump (still pending). She was kicking things off my desk with the force of her thrusts. Now that I'm giving her Miralax again, I'm hoping she'll finally pass it.

She mostly sleeps and cuddles these days, although I'm recognizing the importance of playing with her more.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She was actually on Lactulose too, for 2 weeks after her last enema. It seemed to work fairly well, but it was only a short term prescription.

This thread is making me feel better about Miralax. Thanks for all the replies so far.
I was a little nervous about giving my cat Miralax. But he was old, and it made his life so much better. And it took a lot of worry off of me as well. I hope it works for Rascal as well. :)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yesterday and the day before, she spent most of the day straining HARD to pass her latest lump (still pending). She was kicking things off my desk with the force of her thrusts. Now that I'm giving her Miralax again, I'm hoping she'll finally pass it.

She mostly sleeps and cuddles these days, although I'm recognizing the importance of playing with her more.
IIRC the Miralax is very gentle and doesn't give immediate results, but it took my cat a good 2-3 days to pass anything. He did have diarrhea the first time around, but after that things started normalizing. I think if you can get her moving around a little, it will help. My cat wasn't huge on a lot of toys, though he did like a tennis ball. He'd chase the laser pointer if I brought it out though!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve been giving Miralax to my two for years. Iris is 18 and Mocha is eight. They need it for different reasons, but it’s been a huge help for both. My vet knows they get it. They get just a little less than 1/8 tsp. twice a day.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It was my vet who recommended it to me. When the crystals are fully dissolved they will hold that water and take it to the colon, rather than pull water from the cat's body. Nobel was having some issues with hydration as well.

My vet said to start with a 1/4 tsp twice a day. More can be provided until stools are too loose and then lower the dosage back down until stools are firm (logged but soft).

If his stomach starts to seem a bit bloated we always go back to the 1/4 tsp twice a day.

I would very much recommend continuing with it, rather than a random assortment of things which could be harmful long term. :)

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can give Miralax long term. You can sprinkle it on wet food my cat never noticed it. The vet may need to help you with dosage but with my cat it’s the only thing that worked coupled with a high fiber diet

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU SO MUCH to whomever recommended hiding MiraLax in Churu (I can’t find the thread). TOtally works as otherwise my boy can sniff out a grain of dissolved MiraLax from half a mile.

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am working with probiotics to see if I can eliminate or at least lower the use of Miralax for our 2 year old cat. I don't care if its "safe", I don't want to give it to him for his entire life if I can avoid that. I have been gradually adding TummyWorks probiotic to his food and at the same time reducing his Miralax. So far it is working well - he has had a close to normal poop each day for about 2 weeks now. He came to us constipated - the Miralax helped a lot, but he would have a few days of good poop, then get constipated again for a day or two, then back to good poop. He has food allergies that we have under control and some environmental (pollen) as well. There is some good probiotic info on this site - do a search. I did read here and on some other websites to avoid Saccharomyces boulardii (probiotic). If you decide to try a probiotic, make sure it does not have this one in it. Read and research to see if trying a probiotic is okay for your cat and the other health issues she has/medications, etc... While I like our vet, most vets seem to be like people doctors - they push easy solutions - drugs (and prescription diets), over natural ones, and have little or no knowledge of nutrition, natural remedies/supportive supplements, etc...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
:hugs:I am so sorry for your loss! It was kind of you to come back to TCS to let us know. If you would like to post about Rascal in our Crossing the Bridge forum, you are welcome to do so. You clearly gave Rascal a long and well-cared for life, but the passing of a beloved cat is never easy. Within a couple of days, this thread will be closed out of respect for Rascal.
Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.