Need a little help, cat petting

Flytone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I adopted a cat about a month ago from a shelter, about 2 years old, didnt neuter her because there is a risc, she is FIV positive. She seems to have adapted quite well, stays with me a lot, swings between my legs, purrs, but never, and I MEAN never lets me pet her, idk why, feels secure until the minute she realises i want to touch her. Some help or hints maybe?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has been hurt sometime in her life or is not socialized as much as she could be. Or it could even be she is a naturally reserved, shy cat. A month is not long in a cat's world, with patience and perseverance, she will come around. It has taken me many months to pet a feral. A good time to try is when they are eating, stand near the food until she accepts you there, and then attempt to pet her. It will take a while but eventually the 'good' feelings she gets from her food will allow you to touch her. If she follows you, comes near, and purrs, she WANTS to trust you and eventually she will as soon as she knows you better. I think time is the only thing you need.....

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also talk to your vet about getting her spayed. She could pass on the FIV to any kittens she would have, and cats in heat almost always have a way of getting pregnant. If precautions are taken to keep her away from any sick cats, it could be done. I have cats with leukemia and give them liquid DMG in a lickable cat treat every day, it keeps their immune system built up, and so far, so good. I get it on amazon it is by Vetrascience. A bottle lasts a long time. If you decide against it, it will be hard to keep her in, but can be done. Bless you for adopting her and giving her a chance at love, you have a good heart and will be rewarded with her love......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Flytone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the answer. The one who brought her to the shelter told me that he brought her kittens at around 3 months old, they were HIV negative, but he could have catched the mother only 2 weeks later, he intended she was infected in this time period. I shall check my local vet. Thank you very much for advice.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that it would be good to get her spayed if you can. Toffee and Fudge were semi-feral (already spayed, though) when I adopted them and I sat by them everyday, moving closer which lead to playing and which then lead to stroking when they got used to me being around them. Playing is a great way to bond with a new cat/kitten, especially with wand toys and mice.

Flytone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is kinda afraid of toys, when getting a wand toy under hand she seems instantly to go under bed and/or doesn t show any interest in playing

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Thanks for adopting your new furry friend. TCS has an Article which discusses whether cats like to be petted that may be helpful for you: Do Cats Like To Be Petted? – Cat Articles
Note: scroll down to the part about what if my cat doesn't like to be petted.

As the above members mentioned having her in your home for one month is a relatively short period of time. Be patient, even if she is afraid of toys now it doesn't mean she won't develop a curiosity for them later. Try different types of toys or if you don't want to spend the money be creative and find things in your home to play with or entice her, e.g. cardboard box with a ball in it, crinkle up aluminum foil into a ball, use the lid or bottle cap from a beverage, etc. Here is an Article that has tips for living with a shy cat that may have some info. for you: 10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – Cat Articles

Good luck and when you have a chance please feel free to post a pic of your new cat. :camera:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You probably already know this but, when trying to pet a cat, it's important to let the cat come to you.

My mother comes to visit my house and, at first, had trouble petting Casper.
Mom is used to being around dogs and has never had a cat, full-time. She is used to petting dogs when you can just walk up to them and pat them on the head. She doesn't understand that cats can see that kind of movement as a threat, causing them to run away or lash out. It took a long time to get my mother to understand that, petting a cat is different. Once Mom learned to hold out her hand and let the cat come to her, things improved quickly. :)

Casper was about two years old when we adopted him. He had been abandoned outdoors by some other humans. When we got him, he was very skittish. Your cat's behavior sounds a lot like Casper's behavior, when we first got him.

When we first got Casper he was very skittish and didn't come near people very much at all. Now, several years later, Casper comes up on his Girl-Human's lap for snuggle times when she's watching TV.

I think, if you give your kitty some time, she will learn to be comfortable around you, too. :)

Flytone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all very much for your answers. You are trully amazing :3