Need A 'keepsake' Box For An Urn. Ideas?

bearNrocko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am really stressing about this. I am trying to find a wooden box or chest. Something that has a latch on it.. I want to put my cat, Rocko's, cremation box in. He passed like 6 years ago and I have been keeping his urn in a closet on a shelf inside a 'papery' kind of box. I was nervous about having it out in the open because I didn't want anything to happen to it. Well I checked on it recently and it seems like it's coming apart. I don't understand why sell a urn to people who are grieving if it's going to come apart in some years time? That's horrible. :mad2:

My other cat, Bear, passed on Wednesday and I haven't received his urn yet. I want something where I can put both of the urns in. I know the vet said his remains are in a bag but that would really upset me if I have to transfer urns because of this. I rather just have another wooden box I can put both of them in.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas. I don't have that much money to spend on it but I wanted it to be ready for when Bear got home. :( I wanted it to be perfect for when he got home. I have a drawer I can put them both in right next to my bed for now I guess...Anyone have any ideas? :confused2: I am going to stop looking because I am making myself sick and be content with the drawer until I find something. It's just I don't have the much experience with urns or cremation. Rocko was my first experience with a loved one's death and now my baby, Bear...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bearNrocko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I didn't know if this belonged in the rainbow bridge forum or not btw.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you don't want to transfer the bag of Rocko's ashes into another box, but I think that would be best. If the box it is in, is already falling apart, even if you put it into a second box of some sort, it may continue to deteriorate and then there could be a chance that the bag could get damaged or spill.
Sorry, I hope I'm not stressing you out about this more, but in a way, that would really open up your options as to what type and what size of new box/container you could get.
You could get a plain wooden box from any craft store (I have even seem some really nice ones at the dollar stores) and even paint it or decorate it the way you like. You could get a pretty ceramic jar with a lid. You could even get a beer stein with one of those metal flip top lids. I would also stop looking for "urns" or "urns for pets" it's basically a really expensive jar with a lid, and I personally think the prices are ridiculous.
Oh I just thought of another idea! If you decide to get a plain wooden box from a craft or "dollar" store, you can also get an ink pad and make a stamp out of a potato that looks like a paw print and stamp your wooden box and then use a paint pen to write his name on the box too.
And even if the box (IF you get a box) doesn't have a latch on it, you can get latches and hinges from the craft stores and even a hardware store too.

I'm so sorry about your losses, and I hope you do find something that will put your mind at ease and keep your kitties close to you.