Necropsy Results

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how long it takes to get the necropsy results back?
Depends. Did you take it to a vet who will have to send the animal out for a necropsy, or directly to a place that does it?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Preliminary results might come quickly, depending on what you are looking for, but the final report can take a few weeks to be produced. I hope that you have not faced a complicated passing of your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it's been 8 weeks! My cat died unexpectedly (at the vet's) and the vet asked me to do the necropsy. From what she told me they were just sending tissue samples. I called the clinic yesterday and was told the the lab that does it has been notorious for sending the results back to the wrong clinic. I just can't believe no one called me to update me on any of this. I have 7 other cats at home so it would be beneficial to know what killed her. She was only 7 years old.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I have had two animals die at the vet's or immediately after and it is very hard to reconcile. Asking questions is certainly a good thing to be doing.

You have a right to this information and it would not seem impossible that the lab could not reroute the results to the correct place without much trouble.