Nebelung or Rag-doll

hafandeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is my cat, Baby. Apparently she is a Nebelung (just caught the program on Cats 101). I've always thought she was a Rag-doll because she is floppy, bendy, twisty...all the things that Rag-dolls are meant to be. Can anyone comment on this? Can this be another feature of the Nebelung or is she an amazing cross-breed? Incidentally, she was born in Australia. I know nothing of her parentage as she was given as a kitten by a friend of a friend.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats are no breed at all. Just cats, in all their awesomeness :D. Besides, Nebelung are extremely rare, so that seems very unlikely. Ragdolls are more common, at least in the U.S., but the chances of her having any Ragdoll heritage is also unlikely. Some kitties are just floppy, that's not really a breed thing.

I would call her a blue domestic longhair.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If only Cats 101 would point out in each program that 95% of cats are of no particular breed whatsoever, and are completely random-bred.  Vets are just as bad - many of them seem to happily label any pointed shorthair as a Siamese.

Very handsome cat, a blue domestic longhair.  I'm sure you adore him.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is my cat, Baby. Apparently she is a Nebelung (just caught the program on Cats 101).
Apparently she is a somewhat look alike a Nebelung, you mean.     :)   (Nebelung =longhaired Russian Blue)

Cat breeds are not if they happen to be somewhat look alike a pic in a cat book, or Cats 101, but mainly about their proven ancestry. Ie  suitable paperworks "birth certificate" is necessary. Or at least solid proofs.

So it is the other way around.  They dont get into this cat book, because they somewhat look like a pic, BUT their photo comes in this book, because they are good representants of this breed, having certificate, looks and everything.    :)

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nebelung's are not an accepted breed over here, there are no breeders of them. Adding in what OS already said about the extremely small percentage of cats who are pedigrees.

You have a lovely blue domestic longhair, not a cross breed or purebred.  

faecat13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive had Ragdolls in the past and their eyes have always been shockingly blue. Mine have had little masks on their faces while I know others have dark faces. yes the "limpness" is a trait of ragdolls but remember not all cats in their breed are standard. My grandmother had a persian that would let me dress him up like a baby and carry him under one arm as I ran through out the house. Some cats are floppy and its a personality and physical trait. Just as some cats are good with kids and some need kidless homes. Your kitty is very pretty, but no ragdoll.

reynbodawn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cat is DEFINITELY a NEBELUNG!!!!  He is IDENTICAL to my Tigey (he died a couple of years ago) who was a pure Nebelung.  Wish I could show you a picture of him...  OK - figured out how to do it - the first one he's sleeping  -  but in the second one it's a portrait that was taken when he was about 2 years old (he lived to be 14) and he's the spitting image of your guy!  You definitely have yourself a Nebelung!

gjmoore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My Nebelung cat passed away last year, I would love to know if anyone knows of a breeder in NSW or ACT??

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I'm so sorry about your loss.  

The Nebelung is a very rare breed,  started in the U.S.  but I think there are now a few breeders in Europe.  quite possibly more than in the U.S. where it has almost died out.    In this older thread that you found,   an Australian breeder ( of another breed) said she did not think there were any breeders of Nebelungs in Australia.  The breed is not recognized by the Australian cat associations.  

However,  there are a lot more beautiful blue longhair moggies with a similar look,  whose people just decided they are " Nebelungs"  after seeing some website or television show,  than there are Nebelungs.   (Blue cats often look so beautiful and elegant that people think that they surely must be the result of selective breeding....  but  often they got their looks by chance / nature.)

So you might keep your eyes on rescues & shelters and maybe eventually a  lovely  blue longhair will make his/ her way there.   Or you may meet some other cat who chooses you.  :)

Knurd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We picked up an “accident” left over grey kitten from a ragdoll breeder for $30 (grandpa was a pure ragdoll) We called him a dumpster kitty because of the excessive ear mites and he constantly sneezed and smelled bad. 4 months later he grew this amazing Nebelung silky soft shimmery medium length coat and had the personality of a ragdoll. Looks exactly like the cat at the top of this post and acts exactly as you describe your cat. The most beautiful and amazing cat I’ve ever had the pleasure of adopting. I’d consider this to be a very rare breed.

annahal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Came across this thread during a google search. Your beautiful cat, Baby. She is the spitting image of my old cat, Noo Noo (yes named after the vacuum cleaner from the Teletubbies(!)
Handsome Noo.jpg
by a small child). Noo was born under a dairy in New Zealand. As far as I'm aware he was just a moggy, albeit a very handsome one. He had a lot of trauma by the time I adopted him, and chose to live under the house where he felt safer. He loved me though, we had a very special bond. I will never forget him. This is not the best photo of him, most of my photos of him were pre-digital. Love you Noo <3