Nearly Lost Gracie ...

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the kitchen door open with the net over the door where gracie likes to sit by the fresh air ! All I did was take a washing basket in the kitchen which fell on the floor and must have frightened her ! She ran and got through the net , looked shocked that she was outside ; unfortuntely I was shocked and scared and shouted: 'Gracie' and she ran ! Jumped up the side wall (thank goodness not the front was which leads onto a main road ). I screamed as I watched her jump up the wall and over a grass area . I thought that was it she's gone. She's never been outside before and so many dangers and it would have been my fault! Thank goodness hubby at 8 years younger than me is young and fit . He came running when he heard me scream, jumped over the wall and chased her and managed to catch her !!!! I'm still shock up with what could have happened. She's still young (8 months ) and anything could have happened. Not sure why she gets so scared ! Shes still in shock herself . Hid under the bed and laid with hubby on the bed for a while . we do want to Move onto a house with a closed off garden not near a road. This has made is think more about this as how am I going to keep her safe

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Good thing you got her back!

Actually, best is not to chase her and scream and shout. The more you chase, the more frighten she'll be and the further she'll run and hide on top of all the screaming and shouting.

She was probably startled by the sound or sight of the basket falling on the ground. Give her lots of hugs and talk sweeeetly to her :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you ! Lesson learned. When she first got out of the door she seemed shocked and I think she was actually looking to walk back in but I was so scared I shouted ! I'm quite shock up and keep thinking what could have happened. She won't even come to this part of the flat anymore . She stays in the living room or hallway and lying on the bed at the moment. She was sleeping on her back with hubby and I on the bed earlier... She has never done that . I take it sleeping with Her belly showing hopefully means she felt safe

allisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's so frightening. It's happened with my cat a few times so I totally relate to the awful sick panic. I learned too (from also screaming once - same- I think he was walking back then freaked when I screamed and darted) to try to act casual and act like you are just calling them playfully, wiggle your fingers or whatever normally he comes to inside. Or wait for them to walk slowly or sniff something then CASUALLY seem like you are just slowly strolling by them, don't even look directly in their eyes, then when your hands are right by their neck/chest area get hold. Or grab cat food if it's right there and try to get them to come to that in a cajoling voice.
It's totally awful to experience. So glad you've got her safe and sound. Hope you were all able to relax and enjoy the rest of your day. :alright:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woke up this morning and she was on the bed as usual sleeping ; although twitching her ears and has a stretch as soon as one of us wakes . We've both been giving her tons of kisses and attention since the incident . I still shudder thinking of her out there on her own .. Suppose I need to stop that and just be more careful in future

allisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:grouphug: You'll figure it out. Just have some quiet peaceful days maybe & regroup. Maybe play some quiet classical music or something for all of you. I like these or some Mozart.

Relax My Cat - Relaxing Music for Cats
Cat Purring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWVaqk4H7b0
And give yourself some TLC too! You both did rescue her and get her back but I understand the shock. Just give yourselves a bit of time to recover. Warmest wishes. :hugs::hearthrob:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you .. I've never thought to play music for gracie !! Ill def give that a try

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's not been the same since.. Keeps hiding ! Hope she's okay soon

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats always come running when we shake a treat bag. We have a little decorative basket at both the front and back door with bags of treats inside so that if something like this ever happens we may get them to run back to us in stead of us running after them.
I'm so happy Gracie is safe at home. Hope you gave your hubby a big hug for jumping that wall and catching her! He's Superman!
:wow:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats always come running when we shake a treat bag. We have a little decorative basket at both the front and back door with bags of treats inside so that if something like this ever happens we may get them to run back to us in stead of us running after them.
I'm so happy Gracie is safe at home. Hope you gave your hubby a big hug for jumping that wall and catching her! He's Superman!
:wow:
Great idea ! We shake a bag of dreamies when we want to get her out of hiding at the moment so yes that should work