Nearing The End Of Pregnancy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RetroCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her belly is much firmer today with decreased movement! She is still eating some though. She mostly just wanders and takes 30-60 minute rests at different places.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awe she's getting there. Should be very close. She's probably ready for this to be over too can't wait to see them :)

RetroCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Meowing at me a lot (she's not vocal really at all) and bigger genitals (???) today.

RetroCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lt seems my sweet Velma has worms. =( l feel like a bad cat mom. Will the Durvet Pyrantel paste work? l have never dealt with this before. She doesn't go outside at all.

RetroCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Or ProSense liquid wormer? l am clueless as usual.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure but it depends on the type of worm. Is it round or tape? I would pick up some drontal as it's available without a prescription now. Prosense is for round I had to treat all mine with drontal broad spectrum and it worked like a charm I order it online for about 6 per pill. And the dose just depends on her weight.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And your not a bad cat mom at all. These things happen that's out of our control. I don't know the exact way it's transmitted but if she doesn't go outside it probably was brought in on shoes or another pet that maybe goes out? Now I don't know if you can give that while she's pregnant that would be something someone with more knowledge could probably tell you. I think I've heard it's safe but I'm not 100% on that

RetroCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of your advice and help. You don't know how appreciative l am! l saw the worm on her anus. Tiny and whiteish in color.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your welcome wish I was more experienced but I will try and help the best I can as I've just been thru a pregnancy for.the first time and also worms and I found the same thing on her bottom it was a small piece kinda moving and.turned out to be round worm the first time and tape the 2nd so I just got the drontal and haven't seen a worm since. Also with that it's best to get a few pills to have on hand because you will want to give another dose in a.few weeks because it won't kill the larve. Also depending on the worm it is the kittens could very well get it and most likely will from mama's milk. That's how ours got it was from mom as certain worms can be passed thru the milk

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like a tapeworm. Pretty harmless, and a result of eating a flea.

Your cat needs treating for fleas and tapeworms. Both are normal and easily eradicated.

The pyrantel will get rid of the worms. Have you treated for fleas yet?

RetroCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has been treated before but not recently. Neither her or my male cat go outside ever. (Avatar pic is of my sweet deceased kitty.) l can get the wormer paste on Amazon. Can l also find a good flea treatment there? ls the flea treatment safe while pregnant/nursing, or should l wait? Thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pyrantel works on certain worms, not all. Praziquantal works on other worms. Pyrantel is a good start. Drontal Plus, which is prescription, will wipe them all out. It contains pyrantel and praziquantel. It can be confusing! :)

Most worm meds are safe for pregnant cats.

RetroCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh good to know! l also found praziquantel on Amazon.

RetroCatMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh good deal! How many pills do you think are needed? She's a fairly small girl.