Nearing delivery?

GwenKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone. New here, and new to the world of cats about to give birth.
Long story short, our roughly 2 year old cat Gwen fell pregnant before we had her spayed. We were in the process of moving house and were to book her in for desexing once we got settled in, and in the process she got out and returned. We thought all was well but probably about 4 weeks ago noticed a significant growth of her belly.

I'm sure she's due to have her kittens any day now, but just looking for a bit of advice. I must confess I am not really a "cat person" but I AM a Gwen person and love this little kitty dearly.
We have been able to feel and see the kittens move for around 2 weeks now. We've been feeding Gwen wet kitten food as well as making sure she has full access to dry kitten food. She has several nesting areas available but doesn't really seem interested in them just yet.

Everything I've read says that from the time you see/feel kittens moving, it's about 2 weeks until delivery. She is sleeping a LOT, seems uncomfortable, groans when she shifts positions. Her nipples are pink, and if we squeeze them can get some clear/white liquid out (but it's not leaking on its own).

Have attached some photos...just wondering if someone more experienced could hazard a guess as to roughly when she would deliver? She grooms herself a lot, and I always think she's getting close and then nothing seems to happen.

I have birthed foals, calves, lambs, puppies and my own child but the world of cats is new to me lol. Don't mind her overly dramatic sleeping pose...she's a bit of a diva haha

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This 2 weeks proves she is near. But if you are good at palpiting (feeling our her belly) you will of course notice it even a whole week earlier. As most cat owners arent.
Has she dropped? Ie suddenly seems less obvious? Dropping is a decently reliable sign its just a couple of days left.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GwenKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for that. I could definitely see them moving before I could feel them. Even now when I see them moving quite actively, if I place my hand on her it takes a while to feel them. She doesn’t really like me touching her too much at the moment which makes it hard to palpate or even check her nipples.

She doesn’t seem to have dropped - she seems about the same to me visually. And she’s still eating well, sleeping a lot, no signs that labour is close.
I did notice yesterday while she was sleeping on her side, some white crust over the ends of a couple of her nipples.

We live in a one room apartment which makes it hard to give her a real nice and quiet nesting space. We’ve given her a nice cozy box with towels and blankets underneath the desk in a dark and quiet corner, which is as out of the way as possible. She doesn’t really ever go there or even try to investigate at the moment.

Is there any way to encourage her to use that spot, or is she just simply not close enough to begin “nesting” yet? I’m worried she might have them in the baby’s cot hahaha

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most cats will not go to the nest until time for delivery. She sounds close, so be patient! :)

GwenKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nothing so far! 2 days ago she was scooting her butt across the floor, and then grooming her hind end aggressively. I thought for sure she would go that night, but...nope!

Her nipples have definite milk now, but other than that she still seems totally normal. She’s making us wait for sure! The kittens are moving very actively, and she still hasn’t chosen a nest box yet. I think she wants to have them upstairs in our bedroom so I might make a little corner for her up there - out of reach of our cheeky crawling baby!

GwenKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Little update...still no kittens, but Gwen’s nipples are considerably pinker and larger today! I’m hoping she goes soon.

In my experience, horses, cows etc tend to give birth at night. Do cats tend to follow the same trend?

I’ve been watching Gwen’s belly and those kittens are really giving it to her! I think she has two in there.

GwenKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s happening!
Gwen just jumped off the chair she was sitting on and starting crying. My daughter was on the floor next to her and Gwen paced a bit while calling out, then lay down in the middle of the living room and I saw a bit of a sac/waters. She also had a couple of visible contractions.
She licked herself off and I encouraged her over to her box. She’s in there now grooming herself and having contractions. Ahhh my husband JUST left, and I have to leave for work in a few hours!

GwenKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The second one has just arrived. My bet was on two, so let’s see if I’m right!
She is doing okay. The first one freaked her out a bit and she ran around for a few second with it hanging from her. Then she cleaned it off but didn’t really know what to do, and kept desperately trying to get underneath a little couch we have. I put her box next to it and draped some blankets over to make it dark and she’s had the second one in there and seems a bit more relaxed now. She hasn’t let them suckle yet, she’s too busy cleaning them. Looks like 2 little tabbies!

GwenKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I was super wrong! 4 so far and not sure if she's still going. Ha!
She is so intent on grooming the kittens and herself that she still hasn't let them nurse. When should I be worried? I keep trying to place them on her teats and she'll stay put for a moment, then stand up and readjust herself to keep grooming.

All kittens are wriggling around, squeaking and crawling toward her so I'm taking that as a good sign! I'm so relieved she's doing okay with the birth. She's not a very maternal kind of gal, so I struggled picturing her taking care of the babies! I hope she's a great mum.

GwenKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know! A far cry off the 2 I had guessed on haha!
They are all doing well this morning. We are going to get some extra supplies for her today. She’s already on kitten food, so will pick up some KMR today too

GwenKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gwen and her babies are doing really well. She’s being a great mother. She is just starting to leave them for longer periods of time when she goes to the litter box or to eat. All 6 seem to be growing well and love snuggles with their mama!

Attachments