Near Tears, Feral Cat Won't Accept Food

UltraConstructor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A siamese cat is crying at my door, I put out food and water because he was crying, but he won't eat it, he just lays down next to it and stares at me.... Please help, I'm scared for him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There could be a lot of reasons a meezer is crying but not eating. It might not be hungry, and this is a Siamese, --it could simply be telling you that it wants you to be it's new person.
Can you let it inside and get it to a vet?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you take him inside your home to keep him safe, and look for his owner? Ask your neighbors if he belongs to anyone, and post his picture on your local pet lost and found web site.

He may not be hungry, he may be frightened because he's lost or was dumped. If you could keep him in a room in your house while you try to locate an owner, that would be ideal.

What kind of food did you offer him? Did you offer cat food, or human food? Many cats will not eat human food.

Does he look well fed and cared for? Or does he look unkempt and thin? Are there any signs of injury?

I would not panic too much about his crying. Siamese tend to be very vocal.

alphakitty

Beeqie - Sly Kitty - 2017
Young Cat
Purraise
A siamese cat is crying at my door, I put out food and water because he was crying, but he won't eat it, he just lays down next to it and stares at me.... Please help, I'm scared for him.
Hi. The little guy is calling out for help.

There are a few reasons a kitty won't eat, of course one that comes to mind, being, that the kitty is experiencing a severe medical problem, although, it might also be that the little guy has been dumped by some slimeball jerk-off and is simply afraid, thirsty and hungy. Try putting the food and water out, but don't obviously watch. Make sure ants won't crawl all over the food, most kitties will not eat ant tainted food, in my experience.

As others have suggested see if ya can coax the little guy into the house, if so, one may deduce a couple of things, 1) the kitty has been socialized, 2) it is either lost or dumped.

If the fellow won't come inside, try coaxing the fellow with a little trail of tuna, cats love tuna, not that commercial sh.it the manufacturers have convinced Human buyers is good for cats.

Folks who care about kitties, will almost always get their friends tagged with an RF-ID chip. So, if you can, get'm inside, into a pet carrier, and down to the vet. Have'm checked out and also see if the kitty has been chip'd, if so, then check the National Chip DataBase. Doing so may well reveal the kitty's home.

If not social....<sigh> or afraid that can be tricky. Use a wire cage-trap. Bait the trap using tuna. Place a small amount of tuna in a low rim metal kitty bowl, placed on a small square (4 inches, just enough to cover the bottom of the dish) folded sheet of aluminum-foil that has been smeared with SAE automobile motor-oil, do not use kitchen oils. Ants or roaches will not cross a motor-oil, and it doesn't dry out either...that'll keep the ants off of the kitty dish. Trap him, get him to the vet. You'll be doing a good thing. In a short time the money won't even be a memory like a phart spent in the wind.

Not intending to sound corny, but GOD looks kindly upon those who care for the little ones.

Sincerely

Alpha Kitty

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely try not to panic -- easier said than done, since we all hate to see a kitty in what seems like distress! :(

msaimee msaimee & Furballsmom Furballsmom are right - - Siamese are SO vocal, and it doesn't always have to do with pain or distress. So don't panic that it means he's crying in pain. I'm not saying to take it lightly - but know that Siamese vocalize quite a bit.

And I agree with both above -- I wouldn't be surprised if he's scared because he's either been VERY recently dumped or JUST got out and got lost. The fact that he's acting like he wants to go in with you indicates he very likely has been until very recently an indoor cat --and now he's confused because he's not at "his" door.

If at all possible - - I'd get him inside and start trying to locate an owner in the AM. A good place to start is getting him somewhere to check him for a microchip - - a vet or animal shelter will usually check that out for you for free (call ahead to make sure they have a reader). If he's a purebred Siamese, he's got a better chance than most kitties out there that he's chipped. The chip will hopefully lead you to an owner.

If you can get him inside (particularly if you have other pets) it's definitely best to keep him isolated in a small room- a bathroom is perfect. That way it'll be easier to keep an eye on him (he won't have any place to really hide), and easier to corral him when it's time to get him to somewhere to be checked for a chip and/or looked over by a vet. Isolating him also means he won't be able to pass along any illnesses he might have. If you don't have a litterbox and can't get to somewhere at this hour to get one (grocery stores often have very cheap "sets" - w/a plastic litterbox, litter, & sometimes even a scoop), just use a box at least approx 15 in x 10 in, cut down to a depth of about 3 inches. If you can't get litter tonight (again - 24 hour grocery stores - & even some gas stations - often have small bags of litter), you can fill the box with shredded newspaper for just tonight. Make sure he has water and cat food (as msaimee msaimee mentioned - most human food isn't great to feed him, and alot of cats won't eat it) - but in a pinch tonight, a can of tuna won't hurt him.

Then tomorrow you can begin the search for his owner (this forum can offer lots of help about ways to try to find his owner - just ask!)....and if he doesn't have one....perhaps it's kismet and he's found where he's supposed to be! :heartshape:

Keep us posted!!!!