Nature's Variety Changing Lid Formulas

blacksakura6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just letting everyone know that Nature's Variety is changing their Limited Ingredient Diet Formulas and adding pea protein to them along with the peas that are already present. I called the customer service and the representative was really wonderful and explained that the change was due to changes with the AAFCO guidelines.

I know a lot of us (including me) would prefer for them NOT to add this ingredient (I pluck the peas out) but I thought that others should know that they are changing the formula and I don't know if it will affect some of our fur babies. Some cats may suddenly not like the flavor, refuse the new formula or even have a reaction to it if they have any allergies to this ingredient.

If you have concerns you can call them at the number listed on the Nature's Variety can. Have to look out for our furry loved ones. Just passing it on.

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Curious what adding pea protein has to do with AAFCO guidelines

Thanks for the info

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Curious what adding pea protein has to do with AAFCO guidelines

Thanks for the info
My thoughts too.
It could be that the guidelines require more protein now and the company would rather cheap out and add pea protein than meat protein.

I also wonder if companies sometimes use the AAFCO as an excuse when changing ingredients.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve heard tiki used the new revised aafco guidelines as an explanation to add menadione into their foods. What exactly was revised? I remember being told that the aafco hasn’t been updated in many years. Is that was has happened?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve heard tiki used the new revised aafco guidelines as an explanation to add menadione into their foods. What exactly was revised? I remember being told that the aafco hasn’t been updated in many years. Is that was has happened?
Yes, this is what Tiki told one of my local stores. I seem to recall another company referring to AAFCO when mentioning some sort of spurious changes. (Might that have even been Stella & Chewy's, when they added menadione? I don't remember.)

I suspect Neo_23 Neo_23 is right about Nature's Variety: they want to add cheap vegetable protein to meet some sort of number.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, this is what Tiki told one of my local stores. I seem to recall another company referring to AAFCO when mentioning some sort of spurious changes. (Might that have even been Stella & Chewy's, when they added menadione? I don't remember.)

I suspect Neo_23 Neo_23 is right about Nature's Variety: they want to add cheap vegetable protein to meet some sort of number.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interested in this, too. I thought of switching their dry food to this one, but if they're changing the formula and adding fake protein I don't know...