Nature’s Logic Canned... Thoughts?

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my quest for the (impossible) perfect food, I stumbled upon this food. No guar gum, no carrageenan. Looks pretty decent. Has anyone ever tried it? What are your valued opinions? Thank you!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL. yes the impossible quest. Its not a bad looking food, i have tried it but my guys were not fans, but they are not good to go by, their not fans of a lot of foods :(

It a bit higher in fat than i really like, but most foods are. The carbs look good, despite all the fruits and veggies. I looked it up on Dr. piersons site.

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The fact that it contains clay would be a deal breaker for me, although it does have a lot of quality protein sources in the first few ingredients.

"Montmorillonite is a very soft phyllosilicate group of minerals that form when they precipitate from water solution as microscopic crystals, known as clay. It is named after Montmorillon in France."

I would worry about crystal formation. But then again, I use clumping litter, so not sure I am any safer in that regard.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact that it contains clay would be a deal breaker for me, although it does have a lot of quality protein sources in the first few ingredients.

"Montmorillonite is a very soft phyllosilicate group of minerals that form when they precipitate from water solution as microscopic crystals, known as clay. It is named after Montmorillon in France."

I would worry about crystal formation. But then again, I use clumping litter, so not sure I am any safer in that regard.
Why would it (or clumping litter) cause crystal formation?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am thinking since it converts to crystals.

In any regard, I would not give my cat a food that contained clay as an ingredient. Just my personal preference. You could run it by your vet.

I am no nutritional expert. But clay in a food sounds dubious.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I am thinking since it converts to crystals.

In any regard, I would not give my cat a food that contained clay as an ingredient. Just my personal preference. You could run it by your vet.

I am no nutritional expert. But clay in a food sounds dubious.
I think it might if it alters the acidity of the urine, but I don't think the clay itself would turn into crystals.

I think there's pretty much no research on the effects of this clay on cats, but I do see it in a lot of cat foods including Nature's Variety and Primal.

I know it's a big fad right now for human holistic nutritionists, apparently it has a bunch of health benefits.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, I did not know that. I give Fancy Feast wet and prescription dry, so I don't know much about holistic foods. I did not realize clay was a common ingredient.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I did not know that. I give Fancy Feast wet and prescription dry, so I don't know much about holistic foods. I did not realize clay was a common ingredient.
Well, you're right to be cautious, we don't know a lot about its long-term effects.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL. yes the impossible quest. Its not a bad looking food, i have tried it but my guys were not fans, but they are not good to go by, their not fans of a lot of foods :(

It a bit higher in fat than i really like, but most foods are. The carbs look good, despite all the fruits and veggies. I looked it up on Dr. piersons site.

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf
I’m going to order a case. I’m so excited about it. I hope they like it. I have 5 cats and Instinct is unaffordable for 5. This is
I think it might if it alters the acidity of the urine, but I don't think the clay itself would turn into crystals.

I think there's pretty much no research on the effects of this clay on cats, but I do see it in a lot of cat foods including Nature's Variety and Primal.

I know it's a big fad right now for human holistic nutritionists, apparently it has a bunch of health benefits.

I’m less concerned about
Montmorillonite Clay than I am with guar gum, xanthum gum, carrageenan. I’m reading there are actually health benefits associated with the clay.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

The clay does not cause crystal formation; however if your cat is prone to dry or hard stools or to constipation~ the clay will increase the constipation..

That is the problem with any foods with contain this clay; as in Nature's Variety Instinct.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your cats enjoy it, and do very well on it! :heartshape: I have the hardest time with mine and new foods, i get so excited, then they are like :running: I dont know why they are so fussy :rolleyes3: I just got to donate a whole case of Dr. Elseys, and a case of Lotus just juicy chicken, hope the colony cats enjoyed it.:crossfingers:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m going to order a case. I’m so excited about it. I hope they like it. I have 5 cats and Instinct is unaffordable for 5. This is

I’m less concerned about
Montmorillonite Clay than I am with guar gum, xanthum gum, carrageenan. I’m reading there are actually health benefits associated with the clay.
I would be more concerned with ingestion of clay than I would be a pea plant derivative or seaweed derivative, but to each his own. Actually, I would prefer to avoid all three.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would be more concerned with ingestion of clay than I would be a pea plant derivative or seaweed derivative, but to each his own. Actually, I would prefer to avoid all three.
There are no perfect canned foods. Tiki was close, but now they add menadione :-(. So frustrating. My cats LOVE canned Applaws. But their canned poultry varieties are not nutritionally balanced.