Natures Domain cat food

travisg96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has any one tried this yet? The only cat food they have at the moment is Salmon and sweet potato. I know some people don’t like feeding their cats fish but my cats seem to be eating less food after about a week and don't seem to be having any ill affects,

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not familiar with this product and am having trouble finding a complete ingredient list and guaranteed analysis. If you could post that it would be helpful. As a general rule, feeding a fish only diet is not recommended. Fish is not a species-appropriate protein source and has been known to be an allergen for some cats. In addition fish, especially the bigger fish, build up toxins like mercury in their bodies which cats have difficulty eliminating from their systems. Fish can also be highly addictive. Here are a few vet's takes on what is appropriate and non-appropriate foods for cats.

http://www.catinfo.org/

http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutrition/why-fish-is-dangerous-for-cats/

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/01/03/fish-as-a-protein-source.aspx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

travisg96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the argument seems to be that fish is not what cats would eat in nature. Well neither is chicken, rabbit, venison, beef, or a lot of the other things they make grain free foods from. If you wanted to make a cat food that closely contained what cats would eat in nature maybe it could be made from small rodents like mice, rats and small finch sized birds with the occasional snake. 

procat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Go back to vball91's post...

You were given 3 more good reasons to avoid a primary fish diet.

kochupora99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
fish doesn't cause urinary tract disease. The dry food with grain fillers are the main cause for urinary tract. After my cat died due to kidney failure, the new kitten(5 months old) I got, I put her on raw (meat, fish, egg) food and few  natures domain kibbles on the side. So the main nutrition is coming from the raw food and at the side her teeth is getting stronger from hard food. It is obvious, in this world  we human are becoming more like carnivorous(eating meats ) and cats are more like vegetarian(grain eater mixed with animal bi-products). It should be reversed. We should think in real term how cats in wild eat , and feed them and that's the way you can see your cat healthy. There are plenty of articles online which will tell you why dry food is unhealthy for cats, no matter how expensive or grain free  you feed your cat. For our convenience we feed this poor pets bags and bags of dry unhealthy foods.

namu5264

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree very much - however, things don't always work out perfectly. I recently adopted the most awesome cat in the world from a shelter, and she is a total kibble addict. I'm 99 percent sure she was free-fed Meow Mix all the time. She was a whopping 3 lbs overweight when I got her 5 months ago, but she has slimmed down, thanks to the fact that she's now on grain free kibble. I've managed to get her to eat some canned food, but she will not touch raw at all.

I was considering this food, but I think I'll stick with what we're using if the protein is that low.

2dizhepcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've fed my cats the Natures Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato for some time.  It is very high quality and good for their bodies.  It is grain-free and cat's don't need grain.  Its a filler.

Purrs & Wags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I run a special needs rescue. All the cats I take in have either an illness, injury, or severe neglect or abuse histories. I switched to Natures Domain Salmon & Sweet Potato dry cat food in 2012. After several months I noticed the cats with gastrointestinal issues, no longer had issues. The cats with allergies, had diminished to no symptoms. After a year I realized that I had not had an upper respiratory infection or urinary tract infection among the long term fosters since I began feeding them Natures Domain dry cat food. They ate less because it doesnt contain nutritionally deficient fillers like a lot of cat foods. Their weights have been maintained, their coats thick & silky, eyes are bright. I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about the food and will continue to feed it to our purrs.

Trax cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've fed my cats the Natures Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato for some time. It is very high quality and good for their bodies. It is grain-free and cat's don't need grain. Its a filler.
I agree. We have had our Cat since he was 3 weeks old. We started him on it early along with their canned. We monitor how much, he is so healthy and active. His coat is like black velvet!