Naturally Thin Cat

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it possible for some cats to just naturally be thin? My cat Peanut has a very long and thin body and long legs as well. She eats just fine, grooms well, and is fully vaccinated. She just saw a vet a few days ago but I was just wondering if anyone else has a naturally thinner cat lol

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes :agree: Non-obese cats come in all different shapes and sizes just like people :) Some cat breeds are naturally thin while others are naturally big boned.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a naturally thin, skinny little girl! :) She is healthy and the vet says its ok if she puts on a pound or two, but ok if she does not either. She is just a thin cat, no worries. but i do anyway :) Vet assures me that some cats just run thin, where other run chunky.

RavenHawke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had all fat cats except one. Hes very active so that's probably why. If hes acting normal I wouldn't worry. You can feel them and see if you feel muscle or mostly bone. If it's mostly bone I would get bloodwork done

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good to know! My little girl is half Arabian mau and half Siamese per a backyard breeder :sigh:. It seems it’s quite rare in the USA and a weird combo. She is spayed and has been for about a month now. Sometimes I think she’s a person lol. She’s bursting with personality and she’s my lovely little girl! Here’s a body photo of her. Our fish tank uses blue light lol.
764900B6-26AF-47E6-B0AE-2D61C7A999EB.jpeg
She just turned 6 months old.
F8CCD422-D942-4375-8658-2FFCBD1888F4.jpeg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's probably still in the growing phase. Link was a gangly teenager kitty until he was about a year and then he started bulking out. But that phase from about four months to 14 months (about) he was just all legs. This was right when he started to fill in some but you can see how skinny he was (standing).

Not that he is a chunky cat now but he has added some bulk, which is mostly muscle along with a pouch...
IMG_20180610_171053_127.jpg

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one that is much slimmer than his brother. Alex eats well, is very active, and is simply built differently. They go for their annual exam in July and I’ll be interested in what my vet says. I suspect I’ll be told that Alex is too thin or Tyler is overweight. In my opinion they are both fine.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... My little girl is half Arabian mau and half Siamese per a backyard breeder :sigh:. It seems it’s quite rare in the USA and a weird combo. She is spayed and has been for about a month now. Sometimes I think she’s a person lol. She’s bursting with personality and she’s my lovely little girl! Here’s a body photo of her. Our fish tank uses blue light lol. ... She just turned 6 months old.
She's ever so lovely!

I also have a smaller-boned and lanky kitty too. Some cats are naturally long and smaller in size.

Several months after we adopted her, my husband and I got sort of a 'baseline', initial blood chem panel and CBC during one of her vet checks when she was about 7 months old, just so we could start her chart history from particular point in time. I guess I would recommend this kind of "well-check" data for a young cats' veterinary chart/history, just in case it becomes helpful in the future!
:redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's probably still in the growing phase. Link was a gangly teenager kitty until he was about a year and then he started bulking out. But that phase from about four months to 14 months (about) he was just all legs. This was right when he started to fill in some but you can see how skinny he was (standing).

Not that he is a chunky cat now but he has added some bulk, which is mostly muscle along with a pouch... View attachment 236448
He’s gorgeous ! Reminds me of this cat someone was trying to sell in a Facebook group as a “rare polydactyl”, with only “one in the USA”. Beautiful snowshoe ❤

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Samson is long and thin. It’s not obvious because he’s long-haired but if you pet him, you can feel the bones. He is healthy and energetic, he gets free-fed, it’s just the way he is made.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it possible for some cats to just naturally be thin? My cat Peanut has a very long and thin body and long legs as well. She eats just fine, grooms well, and is fully vaccinated. She just saw a vet a few days ago but I was just wondering if anyone else has a naturally thinner cat lol
Old post but I was just going to say I have a 2 year old hes been on steroids since he was 2 months old at a high dose but the last 6 months or so hes been on a micro dose and he has grown in size very long cat but I can feel his hip bones now. He picks at his food here and there. I have an obese cat who eats anything in site so it's extremely difficult to get Morton food so he usually eats it when I'm sleeping he meows at me to put his bowl down and he'll eat a bowl of it. I swear I have to jump through hoops to get him mentally satisfied to finally sit and eat lol its stressful and he needs his half lb back for me to be content.. we just moved last month into a huge house and he is very distracted and spooked. hes lost half a lb since January

He was the runt for sure I fostered him and his littermates at 4 weeks. Mentally and physically developed very slow. Took him forever and supplements for weight gain to hit 2 lbs for his neuter

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perfectly natural, especially with the Siamese background. Siamese are naturally built long, lanky, thin and with a LOT of energy and personality. Google the breed and look at all the thin cats! every siamese mix I have had that has enough in them to have the blue eyes and points has been thin, long-legged, and energetic.