Natural Remedy For Cat Uti?

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
anyone ever try natural remedy for cat uti? I'm very frustrated right now. I cannot get my cat to use the little black pellets to collect a urine sample to take to the vet tomorrow morning. I don't want her holding her pee. That's not going to help the issue.

I'm afraid I won't be able to get meds for her if I cannot get a urine sample. They already tried with the needle (cystocentisis) - they couldn't get the needle through her bladder wall so I was sent home with the pellets. Now I can't get her to go in the pellet litter to collect a sample.

Can you use D'mannose for a cat uti?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Here are some articles on home remedies for UTIs.

Natural Remedies for Cat Urinary Tract Infections - Modern Cat
The #1 Natural Cure for Your Cat’s Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
Home Remedies for Cats » Blog Archive » Home Remedies For Cats With Urinary Tract Infection

I would recommend you talk to the vet about home remedies and what they think of them, how long to use them, and what to look for in terms of improvement or worsening.

I hope she is going - even if it isn't in the pellets. If not, you really DO need to take her back in.

I once had to leave my cat for 3-4 hours at the vets - only for her NOT to go at all for them. Then, when they brought her to me and I talked with the vet about what to do next, she peed right on the table! Maybe that is what will have to happen for you (I hope not).

Also, if you have enough pellets, you might want to place a separate box with them inside next to her regular box - and if you catch her in her own box, pick her up gently and place her in the other box - may or may not work, but worth a try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is going...and going...and going....sometimes in regular size clumps, sometimes in tiny little clumps (clumping litter) I put the litter pan with the pellets on top of her regular litter box that still had the litter in it and that still didn't work. I waited almost 2 hours and couldn't bear it anymore. I know what it's like to have a UTI and the worst thing is to hold your pee. I know how uncomfortable it can be and the bacteria are just going to grow.

That's why I was wondering about D'mannose. It's something I use to prevent UTIs and I swear by it. If I actually do have one though I will go to the doctor. I'm just not sure how the doc is going to feel about giving her antibiotics without the sample. She seemed pretty insistent on the sample. But at this point, she needs help. Like I said, the needle at the vets wouldn't go in and now I've failed at home to get the sample.

I know the D'mannose would get ingested by her if I mix it with her wet food. I'm not good at "pilling" a cat but have used the pill pockets but she caught onto them the last time she needed pills. When you crush and mix pills into food, they usually can taste the bitter pill and don't always eat it all.

She sure was relived and head bumped me after I have her her "toilet" back :)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is comfortable with you being near, have you tried just catching the pee with a clean cup or dish? Just slide it under her just as she starts to go. One of my cats would let me collect his pee that way.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually did try that this morning at 6 am when I got up. I was desperate. I saw her go into the litterbox and I followed her with a tiny little measuring cup and placed it under her. I just didn't place it far enough under her and by then she was done peeing. I was upset. I was sooooo close :)

However, I was able to get some antibiotics after work from the vet. I was able to get the first pill in. I crushed and put in 3 different pill-pockets - she ate them all :) She's resting happily right now.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet should be able to get a urine specimen using a needle draw. It's actually the most sterile way to obtain a specimen.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet tech and veterinarian both tried the needle draw when I had her in for her appointment on Thurs. They were both unable to get a specimen. The needle wouldn't penetrate the bladder wall for some reason? So then I was sent home with the pellets.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the vet not concerned about not being able to get a needle thru her bladder? Is it because it's too inflamed? possibly scarred from chronic UTIs and inflammation? I'm really curious as to why they couldn't do it. I wonder if there is more going on with her bladder than a simple UTI. If these antibiotics don't work, or her symptoms come back quickly after this round of antibiotics, I would request an ultrasound. Not trying to freak you out, I'm just a worrier, having had 3 of my 4 cats pass from "supposedly rare or uncommon" conditions.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet tech and veterinarian both tried the needle draw when I had her in for her appointment on Thurs. They were both unable to get a specimen. The needle wouldn't penetrate the bladder wall for some reason? So then I was sent home with the pellets.
This sounds really strange to me. My best guess is she had a "small" bladder (not much pee) and they had trouble getting a sample. Any time I take my cat in for a sample I always try to load him up on as much liquid as possible before the visit. He gets his canned wet food, a drink of water, a wet food topper treat, and then 25 minutes before we're out the door canned tuna water. That way even if he pees in the car on the ride over I can leave him there for a few hours and they can draw a sample fairly soon.