Natural Remedies for seasonal allergies?

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Quecertin, bromelain + papain, omega-3 fatty acids, coconut oil?  If so, what combo and dosage for an 8 pound cat?

Found online:

Dr. Karen Becker has some great natural tips to try below.  The use of steroids, Cyclosporine or anti-allergy injections but we urge you to try these holistic options first.
  • Quercetin.  One of the things I recommend at my clinic for allergic dogs and cats is starting on a quercetin supplement before allergy season. Quercetin is a bioflavonoid with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. I call it ‘nature’s Benadryl’ because it does a great job suppressing histamine release from mast cells and basophiles.Histamine is what causes much of the inflammation, redness and irritation characteristic of an allergic response. By turning off the histamine production with a quercetin supplement, we can suppress or at least moderate the effects of inflammation.Quercetin also has some other wonderful properties. It inhibits 5-lipooxygenase, an enzyme that upregulates the inflammatory cascade. Quercetin inhibits the production of leukotrienes, another way the body creates inflammation, thereby decreasing the level of bronchoconstriction. Bronchoconstriction occurs in the lung fields as a symptom of asthma. Quercetin can actually suppress how much constriction occurs.
  • Bromelain and papain.  Bromelain and papain are proteolytic enzymes. Bromelain is derived from pineapple; papain comes from papaya. These enzymes do two things. First, they increase the absorption of quercetin, making it work more effectively. They also suppress histamine production.One of the reasons I use quercetin, bromelain and papain together is they also suppress prostaglandin release. Prostaglandins are another pathway by which inflammation can occur. By suppressing prostaglandins, we can decrease the pain and inflammation associated with irritated mucous membranes and body parts. Using the three substances in concert provides some natural pain and inflammation control.
  • Omega-3 fatty acids.  Another thing I recommend is optimizing an allergic pet’s omega-3 fatty acid balance  in the diet. Optimizing the ratio of omega-6s (primarily found in vegetable oils) and omega-3s (primarily found in fish body oils) is extremely beneficial for overall health. Omega-3s are very sensitive to heat and light, so their presence is minimal in frozen raw food, canned food and dry pet food – any processed food and especially any exposed to high temperatures.Since omega-3 fatty acids help decrease inflammation throughout the body, adding them into the diet of all pets — particularly pets struggling with seasonal environmental allergies – is very beneficial. The best sources of omega 3s are krill oil, salmon oil, tuna oil, anchovy oil and other fish body oils.
  • Coconut oil.  I also recommend coconut oil  for pets with seasonal environmental allergies. Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which helps decrease the production of yeast. Using a fish body oil with coconut oil before inflammation flares up in your pet’s body can help moderate or even suppress the inflammatory response.

Last edited by a moderator:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a good discussion on this thread about using salmon/krill oil for omega 3 benefits. There are some brands listed as well as dosages that other people are using. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/248944/fish-salmon-oil

As for the others, I do not know of other people using them consistently so I'm not sure how much advice you're going to get on those. I think your best bet may be a holistic vet in terms of figuring out dosages.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

Title supposed to be Natural Remedies for seasonal allergies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is allergic to fish so omega-3 likely not an option.