Natural Health Remedies

Opi-the-furry-conductor

The viking and the princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love natural remedies that cure things without man made medicine. When I still lived in America before I got married my neighbors knew me as the wierd girl who would go around the neighborhood with a tiny garden shovel digging up weeds lol XD. Long story short I love Botany (study of plants) I collected weeds around my neighborhood and studied them to see if they were edible or could be used for medicine. Was so fun! I hate chemicals and unnatural stuff causes so many problems. Of course I'll use it if it's madantory but if there's natural option I'll take it in a heart beat. Now on to my whole point. With cats it's rather very hard to give them natural stuff without doing a massive amount of research then asking a vet. Cat's are very picky for a very good reason there health depends on it. So I've been researching remedies for cats. I was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions. Perhaps you even know of some good sites to. Don't worry I won't try anything with out an okay from a vet. So feel free to mention stuff and tell me if you tried it out. Opi is very healthy but it's good to do research in case of emergency.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are all sorts of sites with information about herbs for cats, which are toxic and which are not, but LORD so many of them disagree! The one that I use often is chamomile. Internally (1-3 tsp up to 3 times daily) for stress and as a wash for any sort of skin "ouchies." Cats, dogs, horses and humans are good to go with it. NOW...if you (and you do) collect herbs from the wild, BE VERY AWARE! ENGLISH chamomile is toxic to cats, GERMAN chamomile (which is what commercial teas are prepared from) is not. So unless you are positive you can tell the English from the German, I'd just buy a good quality commercial tea.

meshello

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I too am interested in herbs and vitamins that I can give my cat; specifically to work like an antibiotic. My cat for the last two months has been fighting this infection that is creating a bump/inflammation on around her left eye. I have been to 6 different vets to try to get an idea of what she may have. At first, we thought it was abscess tooth, but after her abscessed teeth were pulled and after 3 different antibiotics infection came back. Now she is on 5mg of prednisolone a day to see if swelling will go down, but so far not effective. The only thing which seemed to be effective was antibiotics. She was on clindamycin, clavamox and convenia, all at different times, but they worked great. Her swelling went away immediately and she was back to normal.

Anyway, I am now trying to find other things that may help with her symptoms; like herbs and vitamins, but there is not much information out there and the vets are not much help. They want me to do a CT scan to find out what is going on behind her eye socket, but they also don't believe it is infection. They are saying most likely cancer tumor located in an inoperable area and possible in a spot that biopsy not possible either. She is a 15 year old cat and I dont want to put her through more labs and even if they found malignant cancer; taking her to radiation and chemo seems like the wrong thing to do for her care.

I don't want to have to put her to sleep especially because she is perfectly healthy besides this growth near her eye. I am trying my best to treat her symptoms and keep her comfortable which she for the most part seems happy. It is just one of those things you don't know when the right time is. If she stopped eating or stopped playing or stopped going to the bathroom and sat around the house lethargic all day then I would know it was time. I am so frustrated because I know what will help her is antibiotics, but of course once she stops them it eventually comes back.

any recommendations on what to do? and any herbs or vitamins that might help the inflammation

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as herbs, there's two things to keep in mind. #1 Most of today's medicines come straight from natural sources. #2 And because of the stupid herbal supplement lobbyists in the 90s, what is said to be in the bottles of herbal supplements isn't necessarily what is in there. Sometimes there's unlisted stuff you don't want in your body, sometimes the promised stuff either isn't in there or the quantity is different. Food has more laws and oversight than herbal supplements do.

M meshello As far as your situation, I was in your shoes a little more than a year ago. My baby's mammary cancer had come back for the 3rd time. She also was 19 at the time. I decided not to pursue treatment. End result, she lived for one more year exactly and it very likely wasn't the cancer that killed her as the tumors were still pretty small at the end. Your cat isn't 20 years old like Shadow was, your cat is only 15. If the likely tumor isn't even removable, then yeah spoil her rotten and enjoy the time together. Who knows? The time left may be a very long time.

meshello

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response. Regarding the herbs; the only reason I am seeking herbs is because you can't keep giving your cat antibiotics can you? Whenever I mention to the vets that she improves dramatically with the antibiotics they don't really seem hip on the idea keeping her on them. I was just thinking maybe there something else I could give her to get the same anti inflammation effects. She is on prednisolone for about 9 days now 5mg a day, but doesn't seem to be working. I am not sure how long it will take to see results from it.
I am trying to enjoy her, but I am so sensitive to her quality of life. I think about her all day long and want to make sure she is happy. She seems fine; eating and playful for the most part for an older cat, but the lump around her eye can't be comfortable and she is acting a bit more mellow. I am just frustrated I can do more for her. I do spoil her and that is why I so stressed over this because I can't help her.
Spending 1700 on at CT scan that will probably tell me what we already suspect doesn't seem rational especially because it means another trip to the vet in the long car ride and a day at the doctors office without me.
Anyway; thank you for your kind words. I am just taking it day by day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
I too am interested in herbs and vitamins that I can give my cat; specifically to work like an antibiotic. My cat for the last two months has been fighting this infection that is creating a bump/inflammation on around her left eye. I have been to 6 different vets to try to get an idea of what she may have. At first, we thought it was abscess tooth, but after her abscessed teeth were pulled and after 3 different antibiotics infection came back. Now she is on 5mg of prednisolone a day to see if swelling will go down, but so far not effective. The only thing which seemed to be effective was antibiotics. She was on clindamycin, clavamox and convenia, all at different times, but they worked great. Her swelling went away immediately and she was back to normal.

Anyway, I am now trying to find other things that may help with her symptoms; like herbs and vitamins, but there is not much information out there and the vets are not much help. They want me to do a CT scan to find out what is going on behind her eye socket, but they also don't believe it is infection. They are saying most likely cancer tumor located in an inoperable area and possible in a spot that biopsy not possible either. She is a 15 year old cat and I dont want to put her through more labs and even if they found malignant cancer; taking her to radiation and chemo seems like the wrong thing to do for her care.

I don't want to have to put her to sleep especially because she is perfectly healthy besides this growth near her eye. I am trying my best to treat her symptoms and keep her comfortable which she for the most part seems happy. It is just one of those things you don't know when the right time is. If she stopped eating or stopped playing or stopped going to the bathroom and sat around the house lethargic all day then I would know it was time. I am so frustrated because I know what will help her is antibiotics, but of course once she stops them it eventually comes back.

any recommendations on what to do? and any herbs or vitamins that might help the inflammation
I know exactly what you mean! I had an American short haired white spotted tabby. He developed kitty gensivitus when he was about 11 years old. Was so sad I would see him pawing at his mouth I didn't think much of it until he vigorously went at his mouth rubbing like crazy. I knew then something was wrong so I looked in his mouth and it was inflamed and a bit bloody. I was horrified. I took him to the vet the next day and that idiot said it was an incurable virus. I really hated that vet made it sound like there was no hope for my baby Tom :(. I raised Tom since he was a tiny kitten I loved him bunches. My mom was like it's incurable why not just put him to sleep. I refused because he was still eating and doing everything like he wanted to live. His only trouble was eating. The vet prescribed Tom antibiotics and I bought it for him monthly. This helped tremendous. Then eventually my mother complained saying it was money we shouldn't spend and the vet nurse was probably thinking she was abusing the medicine by selling it for like drugs I think? She said the nurse was like why do you keep buying this o_O? <. < Is there really any purpose? I was angry saying it was none of her business my mother should of ignored her and I paid for the medicine and it's not really expensive. My paranoid mother refused to drive me there again. She knew how much I loved Tom though so she stopped trying to convince me to put him to sleep and found natural ways to help Tom. We found out the cause was because of the commercial cat food. Commercial cat food has fillers like rice and other grains. From what she found out Tom basically became allergic to the cat food which was making his gums go crazy. So we found out commercial cat food we used dry. It's lacking protein and Tom also had a vitamin B defiency because of the cat food. So me and my mother bought the highest protein content our store had of dry cat food because tom refused raw, or cooked food. He wouldn't even touch wet food he was very picky. We also bought vitamin B to give to him. Everyday I would take a syringe and give him his daily vitamin B. It definitely helped but he still had problems. He lived a good amount of years though he died last year and it was 3 or 2 years after he had got the gum disease. I've always been scared of commercial food since then. I still am doing research on making a raw diet for Opi so I know the dangers of getting it wrong. So until I'm 100% I got it all correct I have him on wet commercial food. I give him raw food as a healthy treat. I give him cooked food as a treat to. He loved it when I gave him a one chicken heart and chicken liver as a healthy treat one time. I give him the treats along with the commercial to give him an extra boost of vitamins. Soon I hope to get Taurine supplement so I can start him on an all raw diet but until then he gets commercial wet food and healthy treats. I'm getting off track :'D sorry. I don't know what's wrong with your kitties eye but you could research on raw diet that would definitely help her. You must be 100% you know how to make it though cats need taurine and other vitamins to survive. The raw diet would I believe help with her inflammation. Taurine supplement is hard to get in the country I'm in now. When I got married I moved from America to my current country. If you can't get everything easily and know everything you need to know do a raw diet. Tumeric helps with inflammation to. It also helps treat scabies or cat mange. I used a tumeric paste with a little vinegar and some water to cure Opi from his mange. I asked if there was an alternative to the commercial medicine. They recommend the tumeric past I made it and rubbed his entire face and left it on for about 3 mins then let him clean it off. His mange is all gone now :). You could research for a vet that recommends healthy alternatives. Ginger is healthy for kitties to BUT you must give it to them correctly in there food. The right dosage is given by weight. Some veggies can be a good source of vitamins but you must know which ones are safe and give them within moderation. Apple cider vengar I heard is really good for cats. I can't get it where I live but maybe you can for your kitty. Cinnamon helps with inflammation a nd is supposed to be good for cats but must be given within moderation to much could hurt your kitty. I don't know any that are good as a natural antibiotic though sorry but I hope I at least helped a little. Please always ask a vet before giving anything to your kitty thank you :)

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
As far as herbs, there's two things to keep in mind. #1 Most of today's medicines come straight from natural sources. #2 And because of the stupid herbal supplement lobbyists in the 90s, what is said to be in the bottles of herbal supplements isn't necessarily what is in there. Sometimes there's unlisted stuff you don't want in your body, sometimes the promised stuff either isn't in there or the quantity is different. Food has more laws and oversight than herbal supplements do.

M meshello As far as your situation, I was in your shoes a little more than a year ago. My baby's mammary cancer had come back for the 3rd time. She also was 19 at the time. I decided not to pursue treatment. End result, she lived for one more year exactly and it very likely wasn't the cancer that killed her as the tumors were still pretty small at the end. Your cat isn't 20 years old like Shadow was, your cat is only 15. If the likely tumor isn't even removable, then yeah spoil her rotten and enjoy the time together. Who knows? The time left may be a very long time.
I know yours is in reference to the one with the kitty with the hurt eye but I thought I might tell you something. I'm not talking about Tablets and over the counter stuff. I'm talking about the real deal straight from the source. So when I say herbal remedies I mean get it straight from the plant not a pill. I recommend everyone does that it's safer and more healthy. I make almost everything from scratch. It's a bit old fashioned here :) but I love that.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response. Regarding the herbs; the only reason I am seeking herbs is because you can't keep giving your cat antibiotics can you? Whenever I mention to the vets that she improves dramatically with the antibiotics they don't really seem hip on the idea keeping her on them. I was just thinking maybe there something else I could give her to get the same anti inflammation effects. She is on prednisolone for about 9 days now 5mg a day, but doesn't seem to be working. I am not sure how long it will take to see results from it.
I am trying to enjoy her, but I am so sensitive to her quality of life. I think about her all day long and want to make sure she is happy. She seems fine; eating and playful for the most part for an older cat, but the lump around her eye can't be comfortable and she is acting a bit more mellow. I am just frustrated I can do more for her. I do spoil her and that is why I so stressed over this because I can't help her.
Spending 1700 on at CT scan that will probably tell me what we already suspect doesn't seem rational especially because it means another trip to the vet in the long car ride and a day at the doctors office without me.
Anyway; thank you for your kind words. I am just taking it day by day.
I don't know if you can keep giving your cat antibiotics. I do know you can keep giving humans antibiotics. There are a lot of women out there that for whatever reason have ended up with a chronic case of UTI, and the only treatment is lifetime antibiotics. My mother-in-law had that, my mother has that, there is no cure, just lifetime suppression of whatever miserable bacteria is doing it.

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you can keep giving your cat antibiotics. I do know you can keep giving humans antibiotics. There are a lot of women out there that for whatever reason have ended up with a chronic case of UTI, and the only treatment is lifetime antibiotics. My mother-in-law had that, my mother has that, there is no cure, just lifetime suppression of whatever miserable bacteria is doing it.
I believe antibiotics also kills the good bacteria as well so when you finally come off it the bad bacteria could take over or an entire new one could show up. The best line of option is to find a cure or at least a semi cure cause taking any medicine constantly I don't think is ever a good idea. She could try probitics but I know cats are sensitive to dairy. I think in meshello case the best option is to talk to the vet for other options and see if there is a natural option. I know a lot of vets are biased to natural remedies and raw deits but I know some do recommend it. So she should try that if she doesn't like her vet now there's always a choice of finding an even better one.