Natural Decalwing? What is that?

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I was discussing this with my husband last night: What is natural declawing? I don't personally believe in declawing my cat, but when we got him he was already declawed. Well, that's what the owners said. Well, when I picked him up for the first time I could feel his front claws on my skin, it didn't make sense to me so I asked them. They said he was "naturally declawed". They do it where it doesn't hurt the cat. What in the world does that mean? I just looked at the people and left with my Mittens (my kitty's name). Till this day I know he has his claws, but this has puzzled me for about 8 months now...does anyone know what those people were talking about?

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of a 'natural declaw', since there is nothing natural about declawing a cat! What they might have done was a tendonectomy procedure.

Excerpt from the following website: http://www.hdw-inc.com/declaw.htm#old

THE TENDONECTOMY SURGERY PROCEDURE
As an alternative to the traditional declaw surgery, there is another surgical procedure known as "Deep Digital Flexor Tendonectomy", which was first described in 1986 by John Rife, DVM (Journal AAHA, Nov. 1986). This procedure involves the severing of the tendon attached to the end toe digit, but maintaining the claw in its sheath. After the surgery, the cat will still have its claws, but will not be able to extend them. The technique is not detectable visually, and does limit the cat's ability to damage surfaces when scratching.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's it!! That's what he had done. Do you think that procedure is still not right? I just find it odd. If you are going to declaw the cat, then just do it the other way. But he manages to sometimes still get on the edge of the bed and claws away...oh well...he is still cute!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry but I am interjecting my one thought.

There is nothing "natural" about declawing. Unless it is done for a medical reason, it is not natural. Behavior issues can be worked with, the pain these cats have to endure in declawing is not fair to them.

I am not flaming, I am just stating my own heartfelt opinion on the issue.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completly understand your opinion. I think it should only be done only if it is a medical concern not because of behavior problems. The ("natural" declawing) words didn't make any sense to me, that's why I posted this in the first place
Besides, Mittens is well behaved, I would never consider getting him declawed...EVER!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have another question pertaining to this whole thread...A couple of weeks ago I noticed a little claw on the bed. I thought to myself "Mittens must have gotten it caught and it came off". Well last night, I noticed another one. This whole thing is confusing me because I know that he was declawed that "special" way. Maybe he is biting them off, or what do you guys think?

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is called sheething (sp?) and is very natural (sorry for the pun).

When kitties claws grow they shed the top layer and your baby just pulls it off. Have you ever noticed him pulling and tugging at his claws like a mad man .
with his mouth. That is what he was doing and the result was the little treasure you found.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Hell603
That is called sheething (sp?) and is very natural (sorry for the pun).

When kitties claws grow they shed the top layer and your baby just pulls it off. Have you ever noticed him pulling and tugging at his claws like a mad man .
with his mouth. That is what he was doing and the result was the little treasure you found.
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure.

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just reading the link what Russian Blue posted . I am aginst it , just to read what could happen after the surcery . That is a big NO NO to me .Clipping nails is natural for me .