Natural de-wormer?

Buster799

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is everyone using for natural dewormer for kittens? I’ve looked into diatomaceous earth (food grade) and I’ve seen a lot of pages saying it’s safe but also a few that says it isn’t. I don’t want to take a chance of hurting any one but I also want to keep up with deworming having foster kittens in the house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buster799

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also flea preventions if any one has any recommendations!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't recommend any natural de-wormers. They can be unsafe and are generally ineffective. Pyrantel pamoate is safe, effective, and inexpensive (you can get a big bottle of the generic from a horse supply website for less than $20).

Diatomaceous earth is good to sprinkle around the house if there aren't too many fleas, snd vacuuming frequently helps a lot. If the flea population gets too high you will need pesticides though.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everything that W Willowy said and would also like to point out that natural doesn’t mean better or safer — plenty of things in nature can kill or harm. Here is an article on the topic from the NCCIH

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buster799

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess I shouldn’t have said natural, just SAFE for kittens and cats (I’ve seen too many horror stories about flea medication etc.) I didn’t know you could buy pyrantel online!! Does it take care of tape worms though?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
To my knowledge, pyrantel will not on its own, but it’s effective against tapeworms in combination with praziquantel (e.g. Drontal, which is also ootc/purchase able online , at least where I live), and is considered safe for cats and kittens over 4 weeks old (and/or 1.5-1.9 lbs :>)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you need praziquantel for tapeworms. You can buy that OTC too. Just google Bayer Tapeworm Tablets (this is the same as Droncit, also made by Bayer) and pick your favorite supplier, or they also sell them at Tractor Supply and a few other stores.

Unfortunately you can't buy Drontal OTC in the US, that would certainly be easier. But for some reason pyrantel isn't USDA/FDA cleared for use in cats, even though vets use it all the time :dunno: .