Narrow pelvis & constipation - nothing works

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rescued a senior cat (around 8 years old) last year and he was in normal health aside from a fungal infection. He preferred to stay outside the house for the first year but recently he’s been wanting to be inside with my other cats more. That’s when I noticed that he was straining to poop most of the time. A visit to the vet diagnosed him with chronic constipation, and they found that along with age factors, he also had a narrow pelvis which contributed to the obstruction. They had to perform a risky enema and prescribed a fiber-rich diet and some meds, which helped a lot. But now it’s been about 2 months and he’s back to straining, and the diet and meds aren’t working anymore. I’ve even tried holistic remedies like adding pumpkin and wheat bran to his food. I’m worried he might need a second enema which could really put a strain on his body as the doctor mentioned. Has anyone ever experienced this? I guess I just wanted to vent cause I feel really hopeless.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does he drink plenty of water and feeding only wet food with a little added water mixed in might help. There are medications and laxatives on the market/ vets that can be given daily but they vary in each country. A pinch of psyllium mixed into each meal something works, its fibre. Hopefully someone will reply who has had experience in dealing with this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you talk to the vet about giving him Miralax? The active ingredient is polyethylene glycol 3350 in case you don't have Miralax as a brand. Your cat might benefit from just 1/8 tsp a day to keep his stools softer, more can be given if necessary; 1/8 tsp twice a day, even up to 1/4 tsp twice a day. You mix it with a little bit of water and then it can be added to his food. If he doesn't eat canned food, which he should be doing for the extra moisture, as mentioned above - the Miralax could be mixed with a lickable treat.

Multiple water dishes around the house - perhaps even a water fountain - might help to entice him to drink more.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will your cat drink raw goat milk? If you don't have local access, some of the trendy pet stores sell it in their freezer section although it's good to read the labels for extra ingredients that may or may not be desired for cats. With my latest batch of bottle babies, adding raw goat milk with a sprinkling of the probiotic S. Boulardii w/ MOS has been keeping them balanced - it was getting difficult with one kitten prone to constipation and the others to diarrhea & them being too young for more than wormer (and one given a round of augmentin for wound infection).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does he drink plenty of water and feeding only wet food with a little added water mixed in might help. There are medications and laxatives on the market/ vets that can be given daily but they vary in each country. A pinch of psyllium mixed into each meal something works, its fibre. Hopefully someone will reply who has had experience in dealing with this.
Yes he loves water. I've been adding goats milk and water to his wet food and so far there have been days where a small amount of poop comes out. I considered adding psyllium husks to his meals but is it safe? I've read that it can actually cause more obstruction in the intestines.

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will your cat drink raw goat milk? If you don't have local access, some of the trendy pet stores sell it in their freezer section although it's good to read the labels for extra ingredients that may or may not be desired for cats. With my latest batch of bottle babies, adding raw goat milk with a sprinkling of the probiotic S. Boulardii w/ MOS has been keeping them balanced - it was getting difficult with one kitten prone to constipation and the others to diarrhea & them being too young for more than wormer (and one given a round of augmentin for wound infection).
I've been feeding him the powdered goat milk sold in pet stores but the effects aren't that obvious. I've never come across raw goat milk before but I'll definitely start looking for some. Thank you

comithy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you talk to the vet about giving him Miralax? The active ingredient is polyethylene glycol 3350 in case you don't have Miralax as a brand. Your cat might benefit from just 1/8 tsp a day to keep his stools softer, more can be given if necessary; 1/8 tsp twice a day, even up to 1/4 tsp twice a day. You mix it with a little bit of water and then it can be added to his food. If he doesn't eat canned food, which he should be doing for the extra moisture, as mentioned above - the Miralax could be mixed with a lickable treat.

Multiple water dishes around the house - perhaps even a water fountain - might help to entice him to drink more.
I've never heard of Miralax before. The stool softener that the vet prescribed before was a very mild one. We're going to the vet again as he's becoming weaker so I'll ask them about it then. Thank you

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes he loves water. I've been adding goats milk and water to his wet food and so far there have been days where a small amount of poop comes out. I considered adding psyllium husks to his meals but is it safe? I've read that it can actually cause more obstruction in the intestines.
If your unsure then don't use it. I haven't had a problem with using it on my cats but not cats are the same. The fact that he loves water is great.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing a great job of monitoring your kitty's therapy! I have gut issues myself and psyllium causes me to have miserable effects yet it helps others in my family. I sure hope that you get some wonderful answers at the vet. One of my friend's cats had to be on a strict freeze-dried rabbit diet which was expensive for her on her small pension. I will be looking forward to updates!