Nando’s amputation - warning; contains graphic post surgical images

CatCrazy777

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, not sure if posts like this are allowed or if I am posting in the right place - the aim of my post is to find a silver lining in the nightmare we have been living through by asking those of you who can to donate to the PDSA.

Nando was involved in an accident; most likely getting hit by a car or falling from a height. One of the outcomes was needing an amputation. To my understanding, her leg had multiple breaks and a deep fissure running the length of her bone. To put pins in meant the almost certain possibility of the bone splitting further and causing Nando weeks of unnecessary pain, when ultimately the leg would have been removed anyway as it just didn’t seem possible to fix.
The vet advised amputation was the best option and after a lot of research, thought and consideration I agreed to trust in the vets decision. The weight of making this choice and trying to do what’s best for Nando is something I can never forget. The guilt, the blame, the what ifs are heartbreaking. And if anyone is/ ever does go through something similar and wants to talk through it I will always be here. This is really one of the hardest things we have had to deal with, but Nando is coping well, I never knew a cat so courageous.

My purpose in making this post is to try and salvage some positivity through all the heartbreak. The PDSA have done an amazing job and we can’t thank them enough for being there and helping us in our time of need. I wanted to take the opportunity to really encourage you guys to make a donation, even a tiny one, to allow them to continue to do the work they are doing; or maybe learn more about them so you can point others in their direction if faced with a similar situation.

Donate to PDSA

I also wanted to take the opportunity to praise Nando, and cats like her. They are strong, resilient and awe inspiring.

Thanks for reading, hope you guys are safe and well :redheartpump:

94E64267-2D72-47A6-8468-8CD49229B4A7.jpeg C09B6697-7F02-4975-B6D6-FE33DFFDA567.jpeg 928E8C37-8B0A-4E8C-8D06-4865BBEFDD68.jpeg 5D254A5C-E7A5-4020-8385-41609C6FEB90.jpeg 6D5F4874-AA7A-4C10-97B8-8C0E2F36EE7F.jpeg FD024096-B85A-4C52-887C-F2EE4F56ABD4.jpeg

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful girl. May I ask when her surgery was? She definitely looks to be doing well in those photos.
And thank you for going the extra mile in saving her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatCrazy777

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful girl. May I ask when her surgery was? She definitely looks to be doing well in those photos.
And thank you for going the extra mile in saving her.
Thank you, I agree, she is stunning. And the accident happened Saturday 9th May in the evening. The surgery wasn’t until Tuesday 12th. The photos are in chronological order from left to right, with the first taken on Tuesday 12th in the evening and the most recent Sunday 17th.
I am really proud and relieved with the progress Nando has made. The first day after the surgery was rough but she has improved every day. My only concern at the moment is getting her appetite up and back to normal; everything else she seems to have conquered relative to what is to be expected when you consider how recent her surgery was.
And thank you, it means a lot :redheartpump:

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She looks extremely spunky and upbeat after facing that so serious surgery. You did the right thing going ahead with the amputation, no matter how stressful it was, and not electing to do the pins which, as you say, would have guaranteed pain and a certain amputation, another major surgery, anesthesia, etc. She will heal, the fur will grow back, and she will eventually look like a "normal" three legged cat. It is amazing how much animal can adapt to amputation; it is humans who have the mental roadblock against it. A useless or painful limb is much worse from every perspective for the dog or cat.

My GSD lost a leg to melanoma about 3 years ago. It was stressful, but not as bad as what you faced as we knew from the minute I found the black growth on his leg under his fur that it was probably going to go that way. We were spared what you faced with the surgery being the aftermath of an injury or other traumatic event.

Nando should probably be indoor only now unless you have a garden or place where she can be supervised by you or a family member. Her mobility is not what it was and you might find that since she will have to compensate by using her body differently that she may have sore muscles or the like and that cannot be helped. My boy lost a front leg and it has thrown off his remaining shoulder and made movement a little bit harder, but that can be managed.

There is a support group for amputee dogs and cats at tripawds.com. While I am not sure that this will happen to a cat, my dog has a harness from Ruffwear which allows us to support him from his mid body if needed when he goes for walks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatCrazy777

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She looks extremely spunky and upbeat after facing that so serious surgery. You did the right thing going ahead with the amputation, no matter how stressful it was, and not electing to do the pins which, as you say, would have guaranteed pain and a certain amputation, another major surgery, anesthesia, etc. She will heal, the fur will grow back, and she will eventually look like a "normal" three legged cat. It is amazing how much animal can adapt to amputation; it is humans who have the mental roadblock against it. A useless or painful limb is much worse from every perspective for the dog or cat.

My GSD lost a leg to melanoma about 3 years ago. It was stressful, but not as bad as what you faced as we knew from the minute I found the black growth on his leg under his fur that it was probably going to go that way. We were spared what you faced with the surgery being the aftermath of an injury or other traumatic event.

Nando should probably be indoor only now unless you have a garden or place where she can be supervised by you or a family member. Her mobility is not what it was and you might find that since she will have to compensate by using her body differently that she may have sore muscles or the like and that cannot be helped. My boy lost a front leg and it has thrown off his remaining shoulder and made movement a little bit harder, but that can be managed.

There is a support group for amputee dogs and cats at tripawds.com. While I am not sure that this will happen to a cat, my dog has a harness from Ruffwear which allows us to support him from his mid body if needed when he goes for walks.

Thank you fionasmum, I really appreciate this message. I hope that your GSD has made a full recovery and is doing well. :redheartpump: I agree, I have decided that Nando won’t be leaving the house unsupervised anymore. I have started harness/ lead training her today, and hope to build a catio in the future when i have a house/ garden that permits this. I really appreciate the link that you sent, I looked through it today and it is extremely helpful; just what I have been looking for. Thanks again :redheartpump:

Oh poor sweet Nando, I wish you a speedy recovery.

View attachment 335093

Thank you so much tabbytom, it means the world :redheartpump: