Names...

cassandra_starr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I've mentioned I just got 3 siamese kittens... all males. The whole naming process has got me stumped. I've always been a horribly indecisive person and so this is rather hard for me. I have named one of them... but the other two I'm at a loss for. They each have their own personalities traits.

Sebastian (the one I was able to name) is laid back and the most lazy of the bunch. He isn't lazy just more so than the others. He seems to be more cautious of his surroundings than the other two as well.

The way we identify the un-named babies is by the color of their collars.

The boy with the dark blue collar is arrogant and mischievious. He seems to be the bully of the bunch and loves to play. He's very good at sneaking up on the other two and pouncing on them. He also seems to be the leader of the three.

The one with the green collar (the runt of the bunch) is the most playful one of all. He is extremely fast and seems to demand the most attention. He whines when he wants to be held forces his way into your lap. Loves attention and loves to play... he is quick to melt your heart... and wake you up in the wee hours of the night whining for attention. (Spoiled already!!!)

Any ideas on names for these guys. I'm anxious to have names for them so they can learn their identities and know when they are being spoken to or singled out.

Thanks a bunch

--Cassandra
"Lead me not into temptation; I can find the way myself." --Rita Mae Brown

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a suggestion, but rent the movie Aristocats and pay attention to the personalities and names, there's some crazy cats in that movie!!

kezzer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a hard time recently naming animals. A friend got us a cat from a flooded shelter a few months ago. SHe came with the name Sarah, which to me isn't very catty, and definatly didn't fit this cat. She's grey with tan patches, so I finally came up with Patches, just last week. Not very origional but hey! Well, my hubby, joking around said he'd call her Snake Food, and he called her by that and she came, so now she has 2 names. And what's really sad is she won't come to anything but SnakeFood!
I always look in my baby name book, to see if I can find a name that natches the personality, or a name that means a particular color. That has helped me on a few occasions.
And if it makes you feel anybetter when my hubby was a kid they had a cat named Scumbag, because they said he was the dirtiest thing they've ever seen. I guess it just proves names don't always have to be cute! Good Luck!

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Names! No, it's not easy to come up with appropriate and respectful names. This is only my opinion, but I'd think twice about applying any demeaning names to animal companions. It belittles the importance of their lives, in my view.

Personally, I use names of human friends — people whom I love and respect — for my feline friends. But to each one's own. Perhaps it's best to consult T. S. Eliot!

=^..^=

blinc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Cassandra_Starr
The boy with the dark blue collar is arrogant and mischievious. He seems to be the bully of the bunch and loves to play. He's very good at sneaking up on the other two and pouncing on them. He also seems to be the leader of the three.

The one with the green collar (the runt of the bunch) is the most playful one of all. He is extremely fast and seems to demand the most attention. He whines when he wants to be held forces his way into your lap. Loves attention and loves to play... he is quick to melt your heart... and wake you up in the wee hours of the night whining for attention. (Spoiled already!!!)
I have the same problem sometimes... at other times a name just pops into your head that fits perfectly.

Dk. Blue collar... Conan? Bushwhacker? Ninji? Thumper?

Green collar: Romeo? Loverboy? Sponge? (as in love sponge)
cupid? cupid's arrow? (since he's fast and lovey).

Sorry... I can't seem to come up with much. I hope you find a name you like soon.

billie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cassie,
I generally believe that names will just come naturally but there's how I named my present cat - I just took a list of most common names put ten or so on small papers, folded them and scattered them on teh floor. Then Eric went and the first one he picked was it. To tell you the truth I've never been sorry for a second for naming him Eric - that was his choice after all.
I like Mr.Cat like to give my pets human names and all cats and dogs I've had had had human names.

havel1hv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We use "systems". We currently use both the myth sytem and the book system - Cerebus, Grendel, Pandora, Roland, Hercules.... vs. Kzin and hopefully the next one will fit Kilrathi or Hal (Niven Man-Kzin wars, Wing commander, Clairmont's Sundowner)... However, a couple don't fit the bill ->Mortimer (it just fits), Shy (wanted to call her Kilrathi - but the shortened version Killer just didn't fit), Missy - a foster that came in with this name). That Aristocats movie idea is Perrrfect!

Heather

blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i love the name Sebastion, i named my first cat Sebastion, good choice

here are my suggestions:

Oliver (because my 2nd cat was named Oliver or Olly)

Easter - which comes from a song, which goes like this:

'got a cat named Easter, he said 'Will you ever learn? You're just an empty cage, girl,
if you kill the bird'

Mika (pronounced Meeekah)
Love

Mason

cleo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never really had too tough a time naming my pets, I just don't rush it and watch them awhile to see what fits them, and I try not to call Kitty Kitty...learned that the hard way!

My Cagney got her name by default, I first got her littermate, a Maine Coon mix I named Lacey because of her beautiful coat and gentle manner. After 2 days she was so lonely I went back and got her sister, a black and white tuxedo who I named Cagney, it really suits her too, she's a bit "gangsterish" but very loving. So then I had Cagney and Lacey!

Just a few weeks ago I adopted another tuxedo kitten, a miniature version of Cagney, who I was tempted to name Lil Cagney, but felt that took away her individualitty and uniqueness, although I loved the name Lily. So her name is LilyBelle, or (depending on the moment) Lil' Belly, Lily Munster, Lil' Brat, or Lil' Sh*t.

I also have a parakeet named Ping, because he bounces back and forth in his cage and when I got him he had pulled out all his tail feathers and looks and acts just like a Ping Pong ball!
:laughing:

I once had a cat we named Askim, when someone came over and asked the cats name, we'd say "Askim", they would then kneal down and say "Hi Kittty, whats your name?"...It was too fun!

Whatever you decide, have fun with your new furbabies!

Cleo

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Blue....I too have a cat named Sebastion! (great minds think alike
) And Billie....I love the way you let Eric pick out his own name! I may have to try that in the future!!!
Cassie, I hope you find some good names....my mind is blank right now....(as usual)

crescendo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I once had a cat named Bashful...I'm kind of partial to the name...When I was like 3 I also had a cat named Desireeteddyrupskingrubby but we just called her Desiree. I guess that doesn't fit for males but Teddy Rupskin and Grubby do...though I don't know if they'd fit your tastes...

missycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've found that no matter what name I give a cat, they end up with a different one based on their personalities. It's so hard naming a kitty! But I sort of let their personalities determine their names. It may be a little confusing for them in the beginning, but I don't believe little kittens really learn their names until they're older anyway. My Missy was originally hamed Kiska, which is a Russian word for "cat" (I was studying Russian at the time). Then I adopted a little tuxedo kitten and my ex-husband named him a wacky physics term, H-bar (he was studying physics at the time - we were both in college). Well, the black and white kitty was sort of a runt of his litter,and we called him Little Guy or Little Boy, the it was Boy, then Buoy, then Boo. His named developed over time and seemed to fit him. When we adopted him, Kiska got real prissy, hence Miss Prissy, hence Missy. I know this is a long story and I apologise, but this is usually how it goes with how my cats "develop" their names. They sort of grow into them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassandra_starr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are all sooo cute. Thumper!! I like Frisk and Frolick too. I'm going outta my mind trying to pick something that fits them well. My little boy Sebastian fits his name perfectly. If I have this hard of a time naming kittens I can only imagine how hard it will be for me to name my kids one day!
I've been talking with Craig.. and since I named Sebastian I agreed to let him name the one with the dark blue collar, (since they seem to have formed some kind of special bond while I wasn't looking!!) and then we're gonna pick the adorable little runt's name together. I'm gonna have him get the pics we took with our digital camera put on the computer, (I'm such an idiot when it comes to these machines) and maybe one day I can get pictures of them posted. I'll have to have him show me how to do that too!

--Cassandra
"Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for what you want." --Joseph Wood Krutch