Name Three Things - 2024

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
So much for rain, t-storms, etc. :( It all went north and we ended up with a few drops. Darn. Rick is outside, working in the garden and I'm working on the computer.
  • My speakers are done. We did them over this morning. All that's left is to glue the GENESIS emblem on each one.
  • The Traeger is ready to go. He needs a name for the account. I'm considering either Bubba or Ichabod. I still need to set up the wi-fi (hence needing a name) and the MeaterPlus.
  • Thanks to K KatScritch 's excellent directions, I have the page numbering for the cookbook down pat. I need to redo the graphics for the Herbs and Spices and How to Use Them Section. A few graphics here and there, working on the Index to Recipes and I'll print it all out. I'll take it to our local office supply store (our Staples closed, darn it) for binding. I need four copies so far.
So it was a very productive Friday!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Did end up getting the shed painted yesterday. The new paint turned out to be a perfect color match for the old faded paint so it was a much smaller job than expected. I have a few loads of laundry to get done today and some financial stuff to do. Might make an across town trip to a newer thrift store this afternoon.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Nothing much planned for today. I know Rick wants to mow the yard and work outside this afternoon.
  • Breakfast for the girls, (emptied the dishwasher last night), made Rick's coffee, and went back to bed.
  • Vacuum, swiffer, etc.
  • I may do a load of towels this morning.
  • Working on a Sam's Club grocery list.
  • Still slogging our way through season 6 of Northern Exposure. At this rate, we might be finished by the end of 2024.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
A nice, sunny day today. It was chilly this morning, but it's lovely out now.
  • We went for breakfast at Cracker Barrel, then hit Sam's Club for our monthly grocery order. We got a tri-tip roast for our first smoking experiment. Either Wednesday or Thursday. We'll see how that goes. I also got a large tray of wings; our local butcher shop is no longer selling wings in quantities lower than 40 pounds a shot. Now, I dearly love my Louisville Wings, but there is no way we can fit 40 pounds of wings in the freezers!
  • Got home, got everything put away. I had to cut the wings down. I put the tips into a freezer bag to use for chicken broth later on.
  • Stripped the bed down and am doing the first of two loads of laundry for today.
  • My sister and BIL have a large dumpster in their driveway. Rick has been busy, taking stuff over to the dumpster the last couple of days. So we loaded the car up with more stuff to take over and that should do it. For now anyway. A lot of it is outside stuff (weeds, etc.) He has some old railroad ties that we used as border in one of the flower beds out back; those ties have seen better days and they're gone. The rule in the family is that when one of us gets a dumpster, everybody pitches in to fill it up! Last year, everybody brought their stuff to our dumpster when we got rid of the living room carpet.
I don't think I mentioned this before. Both my oncologist and my nephrologist have said that I can have a margarita! Certainly not every week, but every once in a while, it's OK. My nephrologist wasn't jumping for joy, obviously, but he said, "Well, please don't overdo it!" :woohoo:And this morning, I had my first cup of (decaf) coffee in oh, about four months! And I kept it down! Yay me!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I was sleep deprived and exhausted so I did nothing. The dementia aunt had called at 1:00 am just to say hello and the night time talking seemed to unsettle Lola who wandered the house meowing for most of the night. I finally grabbed her at 5:00 am and shut her in her room so I could get at least a couple hours of sleep.

Fortunately no repeat last night. Mowed the lawn this morning and was nearly done when the wheel broke off the mower. I had bought a new mower this spring, but just hadn’t gotten around to getting it ready to use yet, because it was just easier to use the old mower. No choice today but to get unpacked and running so I could finish the lawn. Wrestled the old mower into the car and dropped it at the repair shop. It will take up to six weeks to get back.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick's mother is infuriating sometimes. She had "somebody" put a book on her Kindle and then she couldn't hear it, so they started messing around. She had already said that she thought there was something wrong with her headphones, so I ordered her new headphones; they finally came on Sunday. Meanwhile, she and "somebody" had messed around to the point where Libby was really screwed up. She called Rick, told him Libby wasn't working, and Rick picked up the Kindle. This was over the weekend. Once, the earphones got here, I got on the Kindle and...the bad words flew around the living room. I ended up having to delete Libby, re-install it, put the library card back on it and set it up again. That got rid of the book that "somebody" put on and I was able to put new books on Libby for her. Made sure the new headphones worked properly, checked it to make sure the sound was just right, and Rick took everything up to his mother's. He walked into her room and said, "Pam got your Kindle working again."

To which she replied, "What? Well, didn't she make any goodies for me?" Honestly, sometimes... They were talking and she asked him how the garden was doing. And he made the mistake of telling her that the strawberries are really producing and that I had made strawberry shortcakes several times and we were just finishing off a hot milk sponge cake that I had made to enjoy with some berries. She got really upset that we didn't think to bring her some cake and berries. It's gotten to the point where we can't visit with her without bringing her treats. I know, I know, she's 102 and she's allowed. But she can be very annoying sometimes.

Anyway, today...
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, made Rick's coffee, set the coffee pot for me, and went back to bed. Rick woke me up at 9 to tell me he was going for his walk. And I'm here with my coffee.
  • We're trying Bubba (the smoker) today. I made up some BBQ rub (sans the salt) from Raichlen's BBQ Bible, rubbed it into the meat, and put it back in the fridge. I'm starting Bubba at 10:30 and the meat goes in at 11:00. I thought it was a tri-tip; it's not. It's a sirloin tip, about seven pounds. Wish me luck; I hope I don't screw it up too badly! Haven't decided what I want to have with it yet.
  • I threw a load of cat linens in the washer.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Rick's mother is infuriating sometimes. She had "somebody" put a book on her Kindle and then she couldn't hear it, so they started messing around. She had already said that she thought there was something wrong with her headphones, so I ordered her new headphones; they finally came on Sunday. Meanwhile, she and "somebody" had messed around to the point where Libby was really screwed up. She called Rick, told him Libby wasn't working, and Rick picked up the Kindle. This was over the weekend. Once, the earphones got here, I got on the Kindle and...the bad words flew around the living room. I ended up having to delete Libby, re-install it, put the library card back on it and set it up again. That got rid of the book that "somebody" put on and I was able to put new books on Libby for her. Made sure the new headphones worked properly, checked it to make sure the sound was just right, and Rick took everything up to his mother's. He walked into her room and said, "Pam got your Kindle working again."

To which she replied, "What? Well, didn't she make any goodies for me?" Honestly, sometimes... They were talking and she asked him how the garden was doing. And he made the mistake of telling her that the strawberries are really producing and that I had made strawberry shortcakes several times and we were just finishing off a hot milk sponge cake that I had made to enjoy with some berries. She got really upset that we didn't think to bring her some cake and berries. It's gotten to the point where we can't visit with her without bringing her treats. I know, I know, she's 102 and she's allowed. But she can be very annoying sometimes.

Anyway, today...
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, made Rick's coffee, set the coffee pot for me, and went back to bed. Rick woke me up at 9 to tell me he was going for his walk. And I'm here with my coffee.
  • We're trying Bubba (the smoker) today. I made up some BBQ rub (sans the salt) from Raichlen's BBQ Bible, rubbed it into the meat, and put it back in the fridge. I'm starting Bubba at 10:30 and the meat goes in at 11:00. I thought it was a tri-tip; it's not. It's a sirloin tip, about seven pounds. Wish me luck; I hope I don't screw it up too badly! Haven't decided what I want to have with it yet.
  • I threw a load of cat linens in the washer.
That's a really good cut of meat to put in there,I'd be interested to see what it can do with a lesser cut of inexpensive meat- right? I'm not sure you can ruin a sirloin tip,can ya? Well not YOU but anyone? I suppose some folks could.Cant wait to hear what you are gonna turn out( you always get me hungry!)

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
The first of a couple projected thunderstorms is hitting this morning so looks to be an indoor day. Vacuuming to do but it’s way too dark inside. I guess I will just need to drink more coffee and web browse for most of the day.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Waxed car( quick wax n dri) then started pouring down rain so nothing doing outside as I wanted to today( tornado warnings further South)

Gonna rent a movie,all cats are sleepy heads today so I'll probably doze off myself

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fine. So is my car. But yesterday, early on in my drive to the NY botanic garden in stop-and-go traffic I was rear ended by a tractor trailer. A very loud BANG, rather long wait for state police, and a barely noticeable scrape in the bumper.

Continued on to NYBG, getting there halfway through the morning talk. Had her book autographed. Looked at several of the Wonderland art exhibits in the library building, managed to get lunch. Then afternoon potting bulbs workshop. Which was primarily images and discussion of tulip cultivars and then a demo and very quick potting of Abyssinian gladiola (I took mine home "naked" to pot up at home. So did some other students.) And a lengthy drive home in periodically heavy traffic.

For dinner I broiled a steel head trout fillet, made home fries, steamed broccoli.

Slept very well.

And tomorrow I go off with a friend for a 5 garden tour - Designed for Nature, across the river in PA.

Hope to do some gardening today, also start editing and making entries from yesterday.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fine. So is my car. But yesterday, early on in my drive to the NY botanic garden in stop-and-go traffic I was rear ended by a tractor trailer. A very loud BANG, rather long wait for state police, and a barely noticeable scrape in the bumper.

Continued on to NYBG, getting there halfway through the morning talk. Had her book autographed. Looked at several of the Wonderland art exhibits in the library building, managed to get lunch. Then afternoon potting bulbs workshop. Which was primarily images and discussion of tulip cultivars and then a demo and very quick potting of Abyssinian gladiola (I took mine home "naked" to pot up at home. So did some other students.) And a lengthy drive home in periodically heavy traffic.

For dinner I broiled a steel head trout fillet, made home fries, steamed broccoli.

Slept very well.

And tomorrow I go off with a friend for a 5 garden tour - Designed for Nature, across the river in PA.

Hope to do some gardening today, also start editing and making entries from yesterday.
Whew- tractor trailer! Sure glad you're okay,cars okay and nice to see you had a great day in spite of the incident on the way - thank God!❤

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 and all who are getting a ton of rain, please send some our way. We are to be in the 90s all next week and no rain in sight. We'll be watering everything.
  • Threw together a batch of Louisville wings, some four-bean salad, and an old-fashioned create-a-crust apple pie (Bisquick). Rick put his burgers together and they're resting in the fridge. I have iced tea in the fridge, too, peach for Rick and decaf reg for me. I read that really, really rinsing and draining canned beans will get rid of most of the potassium in the beans, so I rinsed and drained, rinsed and drained, and then rinsed and drained yet again. Rick's burgers have a salt-free burger seasoning. Unfortunately, my Louisville wings do use Frank's Red Hot sauce and there's sodium in that, but that's pretty much all the sodium in the meal, except for the Bisquick.
  • Rick finally decided which new walking shoes he wanted (his are older than dirt by now), so we ordered a pair of Brook's Ghost walkers. They should be here sometime next week.
  • I plan on spending the afternoon reading the Pyramid of Doom (Wilde/Chase #5). Then I'll order the next 5 ebooks in the series.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Up for Mass
Cemetery
Dunkin for Iced Coffee (second up). with an order or bagel bites
on line for a while
Cleaned bathroom
Wiped down kitchen counters
Vacuumed
Trash room
quick dusting
tried printing up a couple of pictures of Geoffrey-- not quite right.. will try again.
Watched a program on TV
back on line..
Will get ready for the night.
Food--- junkie stuff.

Bored, but kept busy... or at least tried to.. I should have gone for a walk.. but, didn't.

Wicked hot weather this week. Monday is bocce- short league, very warm day. May pick up some ice cream for the freezer.
Tuesday is another bocce league-- an all day thing.. Will be wicked hot.. not planning on staying out long-- just for my game. 90's
Wednesday will be an inside day.. Temps in 90's with high humidity. The Mass is Wednesday afternoon. I cans et up at my leisure, no one is using the room before hand.

Thursday another hot day... Friday-- Who knows. I think it may break but not sure.

It is going to be a lazing day.. will stay home a lot. The AC will be going constantly.. May even sleep on sofa bed, it it gets too bad in here. It is closer to the AC.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Have to transport kittens from shelter to Pet Smart for adoption program

I made 3 separate trips to my friend's shelter this weekend,first one was a kitten I rescued from Animal Control who netted her---- I thought she was the little kitty I keep spotting around the property only to discover there was another one when I came home ,trapped her and lo and behold - a 3rd! They all look alike- got the 3rd litter mate trapped yesterday and they're all together ,they'll be seen by Vet today...

Anyway my friend who owns the shelter was not happy so in trying to compensate for springing 3 cats on her I volunteered my services for Monday ....lol( bribery)

I drive a little Mustang so I can't fit many carriers but I think it's just 4 kitties..... Uhhh,I'm too old for this running around stuff

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are getting around well on that new knee Kwik Kwik . Rain and more rain here this morning to the point where you wouldn’t really consider driving anywhere. It’s a rowing day and then I will probably start a jigsaw puzzle.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are getting around well on that new knee Kwik Kwik . Rain and more rain here this morning to the point where you wouldn’t really consider driving anywhere. It’s a rowing day and then I will probably start a jigsaw puzzle.
I really am,just got back - that's it,I'm done,no more kitten bus driver please😱they screamed from the moment they got in the car until I brought them out of the car- I can still hear the 4 meoooowwwwing kittens in my brain like a song you can't get out of your head for days:frustrated::help:

They are the cutest little peanuts ,no doubt they'll quickly be adopted.....

My 3 drop offs were already brought to the Vet so I didn't get to see them

So thats my "3 things"
1- drive to shelter ,load kittens
2- drive to Pet Smart,unload kittens
3- Set up kittens and drive home
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Definitely too old for this,my volunteer days are over( kidding,not kidding):dunno:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Kwik Kwik Sounds like you're really having a good time with the kittens! I know that, when we take the girls to see TED (The Evil Doctor), we listen to the songs of their people the whole way to the hospital. Sometimes at ear-splitting volume!

At 10:00 this morning, it was already 80F. A good day to stay in the house.
  • Went into town for blood work.
  • Hit PetSmart for cat food, then onto the Giant store for meds for me and a few salad items.
  • Change the bed sheets and do a load of laundry.
  • General straightening out about the house, nothing big. Clean the bathroom.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Kwik Kwik Sounds like you're really having a good time with the kittens! I know that, when we take the girls to see TED (The Evil Doctor), we listen to the songs of their people the whole way to the hospital. Sometimes at ear-splitting volume!

At 10:00 this morning, it was already 80F. A good day to stay in the house.
  • Went into town for blood work.
  • Hit PetSmart for cat food, then onto the Giant store for meds for me and a few salad items.
  • Change the bed sheets and do a load of laundry.
  • General straightening out about the house, nothing big. Clean the bathroom.
Lol,it was a mere 15 minute drive and I felt like I was going to have a nervous breakdown.....you could not believe how fast I walked to grab a shopping cart to put the 4 carriers in all at once---

Like little children,should be seen and not heard- rofl! When I was young I'd just tune it out,I think my tuner dial is just worn out

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday as I sat watching it rain I was searching the internet for cat illnesses. Willow died so suddenly I didn’t think at the time to ask what the cause might have been. I have kept going over her behavior in the weeks before to see if there were signs of illness or something I missed and looking up the various thing that affect older cats. Anyway, I was visiting a cat site on Reddit and someone mentioned their cat had died suddenly of Thrombus. When I looked up it up the symptoms were exactly what Willow had and did in the short while before she died. I do feel better knowing it comes on suddenly and is nearly always fatal.