Name Three Things - 2024

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Got my cookies baked yesterday. Rick is happily munching. We also received the cat litter box from Chewy for the living room. It looks a little nicer than a regular box. Rick put it together last night. Mollipop, of course!, was the first cat to use the box. We used a bit of Cat Attract litter in the box, just in case, but there was no need. Molli walked right in, we heard her scritching around, and she peed.
  • Rick got up with the girls this morning, but I couldn't sleep, so I got up, too. Grabbed a quick shower, poured a glass of iced tea, and here I am. I've scooped the boxes and am ready for the day (until I get tired and have to go back to bed!).
  • A quick vacuum and swiffer, nothing major. But I do want to vacuum in the WeShed and do some general cleaning out there. I've been wanting to put the chairs and rug on the Deck, but it won't stop raining. When I was still working, Mom had given me her cactus and it faced a southern window in the Planning Office. Well, Bob got a cactus as well and I pretty much took care of both of them. Since I retired, Bob's cactus isn't doing very well. He's bringing it to the Shed and I'll see if I can save it. I'll put it out on the Deck with mine...if it ever stops raining, that is.
  • I may change the bed sheets this morning, once Molli gets out of bed. I think we're ready for the summer sheets and I'm a little tired of dealing with the flannels. I'll keep the electric blanket on the bed. Yes, I'm still using it some nights, when Rick has the air up a little too high. The other night, Muffin toddled back to bed and said, "Mom! I'm cold! Cuddle!" I pulled the covers down, she came right in and tucked herself in next to me...her pads were even chilly. I pulled the covers back up around her and she was a happy girl.
The weather-weenies are calling for rain showers on Monday. We're thinking of having our Memorial Day dinner on Sunday and then we can enjoy the leftovers on Monday.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I did a load of laundry. Ran the dishwasher. Need to unload both.

Added potting soil I mixed up yesterday to the three large pots I set in front of the garage. That emptied the garden cart of potting mix. And planted banana leaf cannas, Canna musaefolia.

Went to the IGA. Someone new at the deli county, and the wrap I ordered was no where near as good as expected. In fact, if it was the first wrap from there it would probably have been the last. Oh well. Also got milk, eggs, etc.

This afternoon I'll go to the bottom of the driveway, plant more canna tubers in the two pots down there, empty kitchen compost bucket and gardening debris in the compost heap. Cut down and poison more emerging bamboo culms.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Another storm last night and it's very foggy out this morning. We were going to try to finish Northern Exposure, but both of us ended up falling asleep. Rick awakened long enough to give the cats their late bedtime snack, start the dishwasher, and come to bed. I slept until around midnight, then watched Star Trek. Back to sleep around 1:00.
  • Around 6:15 this morning, Rick nudged me. "Are you going to get up to feed the cats or should I just do it?" The thing is, I heard them yelling, but I was dreaming that I was feeding them their breakfast, so I was already up. When he nudged me, I woke up, and really heard them. And got up and fed them. And quiet reined in the Winchester household. For a while, anyway.
  • I didn't make it out to the Shed yesterday as I was working in the house. So I'm hoping I have some time this afternoon.
  • And my desk is still yelling at me!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Off to the big box hardware this morning to pick up the blood meal that I hope will work to save my perennials from the rabbits. While there I wandered down all the aisles and found a few things I really needed but keep forgetting that I do. I am thinking about heading back out to the liquor store to see if I can find a small bottle of red wine. If I can find one I may make a pot roast this afternoon.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 I keep both red and white vermouth in the pantry, to use when a recipe calls for wine. Vermouth doesn't need refrigeration, and it does not go "off." I prefer Martini & Rossi but it's up to you what brand you might prefer.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 I keep both red and white vermouth in the pantry, to use when a recipe calls for wine. Vermouth doesn't need refrigeration, and it does not go "off." I prefer Martini & Rossi but it's up to you what brand you might prefer.
I don’t know what any of them taste like or even what Vermouth is 🤣. But next time I buy some I will look for that. The cheapy little wine bottle was $2.40.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The old rule is that if you wouldn't drink it (poor quality / taste) then you should not cook with it. Next time you are at the liquor store tell them what you are looking for, ask what is the smallest bottle of Martini & Rossi red vermouth and what it costs.

Meanwhile, enjoy your pot roast - at least that's what I assume you are cooking today.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
The old rule is that if you wouldn't drink it (poor quality / taste) then you should not cook with it. Next time you are at the liquor store tell them what you are looking for, ask what is the smallest bottle of Martini & Rossi red vermouth and what it costs.

Meanwhile, enjoy your pot roast - at least that's what I assume you are cooking today.
Didnt get around to making the roast today, so tomorrow. Problem for me is that since I think everything with alcohol in it taste horrible, I can’t tell good from bad, but will remember to check for this brand the next time.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Tuesday was a very long day for us. I met my new nephrologist at 1:00 as I have transitioned from Acute Kidney Disease to Chronic Kidney Disease. The good news is that I don't need to go through dialysis...yet. As long as I keep a good appetite (not a problem!), don't start vomiting, and can get my walks in, I'll be doing OK. I still have to work to get those numbers down if I can. Lower numbers would ward off dialysis. I see him again in September and, meanwhile, I still do the weekly blood work and Keytruda treatments every 3 weeks. This kidney stuff was all caused by the damn chemo.

We left the hospital at 2:00, stopped at Outback in Reading for a quick bite, and then continued down to Lancaster to watch our grandson graduate from high school at 6:00. The Grands go to a private religious school and the ceremony was held in the church's auditorium. I confess to a few tears as did his parents and his other set of grandparents. We are so very proud of him. The class left this morning for a week-long trip to the Outer Banks. The ceremony lasted two hours, so at 8:00 we left for home and got home around 10:00. The cats were not amused. But we got them fed and groveled for about an hour, paying attention to them. Had I thought about it properly, I would have asked my sister to come over and give them supper, but I didn't think about it until it was pretty much too late.

And then well, I haven't been to sleep yet at all. I lay awake all night long, tossing and turning, cold, then hot, allergies giving me fits of sneezing and stuffy nose. Too much on my mind. It was Rick's turn to get up with the girls this morning, but I told him to stay in bed and I'd take care of them.
  • Breakfast for the girls, made Rick's coffee, emptied the dishwasher
  • The first of three loads of laundry is in the washer.
  • We're taking Muffin down to the vet for her wellness check. All the girls are overdue for vet visits, but with everything else going on with me, we just didn't get around to it. She goes this morning and the other two girls will go around the middle of June.
  • I want to measure the width of the railing at the WeShed Deck for planters. Do a good sweeping. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I'm planning on painting the deck floor. The WeShed door also needs another coat of Sonic Plum, so, if I can, I'd like to do that tomorrow, too. Once that's finished, I can put the rug down and place the chairs and planters about.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still working on getting plants into the very large pots. Started on the pallet outside the front Palladian windows and discovered it is useless, cracked up. So are a couple of others. So I went to visit my friends at the feed and mercantile. Got some bird seed, visited for a while, mentioned pallet issues . . . and late in the afternoon her husband and son showed up in their pickup with 4 1/2 pallets in back. The half is because one pallet is missing a couple of boards on top. But that's O.K. because Himself can cut the joists and I have somewhere to use the now smaller pallet.

Fortuitously, our intermittent handyman is supposed to come today. He can shift pots and reset pallets. Also mow grass. And perhaps have time to haul bamboo cuttings, now nicely dried and dead, to the brush pile.

This morning I fed the cats. Mixed up more bird seed (woodpecker blend with extra black oil sunflower seeds), refilled bird feeders and moved them outside. Unloaded dishwasher. Need to go off to Wal-Mart and Shoprite. At some point bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies (having giving a cookie each to the pallet delivery guys, Himself will run out after lunch.) But first I'll have my coffee. And work a little more on my book review for The Lavender Companion. Rain this evening.

And that's what's happening here.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the pallets is in moderately O.K. condition. The others all have cracked boards or joists. Not worth my time / effort to deck seal them. They are moved into the garage. My car may get back in there sometime before winter. Perhaps.

Handy man called at about noon. He needs to shower, walk dog, then either drive or bicycle over to arrive here and arrive about 1:30 / 2:00 p.m. Supposed to rain later in the day . . .

Not going to Wal-Mart or Shoprite.

Not a bad day but clearly not as good as I anticipated.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I got nothing done yesterday. All I did was sleep. In my defense, it was a crappy day with t-storms and rain. And I wanted to finish my e-book before the library deleted it from my Shelf. I couldn't even do that. How bad is it when your iPad falls on your face because you fell asleep while reading? I had that happen. The good news is that I finished my e-book last night around 9:00 or so. Turned the bedroom light off and went to sleep. And slept all night. (I was reading Livid by Patricia Cornwall. Good book. It was part of the Kay Scarpetta series.)
Muffin is fine. We had her checked for a UTI and she's good. Her wellness visit went very well. No dental needed. Nothing. For a 14-year old, she is a very healthy girl.
  • A run to the Giant to pick up a script for me. And grab a few Granny Smith apples and a few other things. A run to Lowes to pick up the color of Deck paint that I need to start painting. I'm going to grab some purple geraniums, too, for the white duck planter over by the WeShed.
  • As God is my witness, I'm going out to that WeShed today, if it's the last thing I do! I can't paint the Deck floor or the door because it's going to be very windy around here and painting anything is just asking for trouble. But Rick is going to dig a few holes for me in the bed in front of the Deck, so I can transplant some coral bells. I did manage to feed the hydrangeas and azaleas the other day and watered them in well. And we've had rain (tons of rain, actually!), so that helped, too.
  • One load of laundry that I have to put into the dryer.

Lennybells

Purring is my therapy!
Adult Cat
Purraise
-Tons of homework to get done, ughhh

-Playing ring-around-the-rosie with Hobbes (new favourite game, he chases me around in circles)

-Continuing with the ongoing homemade bubble tea struggle. It’s very expensive but I must satisfy the craving! So i’m now trying homemade and it is not bad!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Mowed and weed wacked while there is a break In the rain. Picked up the paint for the repaired sections of the shed so I can paint whenever the wood has been able to dry out.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
The WeShed is cleaned: vacuumed, swiffered, washed windows (inside and out), watered the plants, all that good stuff. Then I came in the house and cleaned the house, too. I can find my desk without any trouble; it was getting ridiculous and I think it breathed a sigh of relief after I was done.

You would have thought that, with everything I did yesterday that I would sleep well last night. Well, no. Last time I looked at the clock, it was 4:00. And I got up with the girls this morning. I'm going to try to stay up today because I need to break this cycle.

Rick is going to his mom's this morning. She's having trouble with the volume on her phone and it keeps getting silenced. And she's also having trouble with the headphones to her Kindle. He said he'd bring the headphones home for me to look at. I'm not a headphones person. All I can do is look at her Kindle and see if anything funky is going on with the sound. And take it from there.
He is going to a Mennonite auction this afternoon. All proceeds go to their children's hospitals. They're going to start auctioning off plants and flowers at 4:00 through 6:00. We didn't buy any flowers yesterday because he wanted to wait for today. Tonight they're also doing tools and guns. He'll come home around 6:00 or so (with ribs for dinner). But then he's going back over tomorrow, just to be nosey. I can't go along because I can't be trusted not to buy the whole planting area!
  • Breakfast for the girls, made Rick's coffee, emptied the dishwasher, and am back here on the computer for a while.
  • I bought the first five Nina Wilde/Eddie Chase books by Andy McDermott yesterday, in Kindle format. I can no longer see properly to read the small print in paperback and the hardcover prices for these books are expensive. I'll probably spend the afternoon with my nose in my Kindle, reading The Hunt for Atlantis, the first book in the series.
  • And then, hopefully, I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Been giving away plants & throwing out odds n ends on the patio to empty this huge plant stand against a wall so I can get rid of it and put the inside Cat Condo outside,a new one inside and officially turn the patio into the Catio .. so finished getting everything out

Went for blood work & CT scan for next week oncology appts- showing off to everyone at outpatient that I can walk on my own ,no wheelchair,no walker

Went for breakfast at my favorite local pet friendly place,showed off some more

Paid my Metro bill,more showing off

After oodles of hugs I saw the maintenance man and he got the plant stand out of the house,put it out for bulk pick up today and then put the inside Condo outside for me- cats love it!!!!

So then I stepped up onto a chair( been dying to do that - yay) and cleaned the glass door that were partially blocked by the Condo- ready for the new one due to get here Sunday

Busy,productive day and my knee feels- well,like a knee!!!! Haha,feels great!

Attachments

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
It's chilly this morning. We got down to the upper 40s last night. A little too chilly for the end of May.
  • I'm going with Rick to today's auction! It's an all-day thing, but if I get tired or bored, I'll come home early, then go back to pick him up when he's ready to leave. He brought home a beautiful Boston fern last night and a gorgeous flat of red and white (no purple) geraniums. They'll finish off the flowers today, so I'll check them out. But I also want to look at the housewares section because...well, you never know. Rick is going to check out the tools.
  • When we get back home, I'll plant the geraniums in the wooden duck. And put the fern in the front garden at the Shed.
  • Almost finished with The Hunt for Atlantis and might be able to start The Tomb of Hercules tonight.