Name Three things - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Painter coming back today to finish with the kitchen which he started painting yesterday. It is amazing how much "stuff" had to be taken out. It's in the dining room - books on the hearth, things piled on the buffet, on half the dining room table (hey, we need somewhere to sit and eat!) Copper pots off the wall and stuffed into the oven. And behind the bookcase and the small refrigerator there were - not dust bunnies, more like mammoths, big hairy ones! He should finish today. The very last things will be painting the bookcase, the small two tier shelf (like a mini-bookcase) that sits on the counter with coffee mugs, and also the small refrigerator that I had painted white lo these many years ago. It's held up well but now these last three items will be a paler yellow than the walls.

The cats are being very blase and casual about the disruption. So far they've stayed away from wet paint.

There is some blue sky today. Better, and welcome, following the Canadian wildfire smoke, but I really would welcome rain, a slow steady day-long soaking.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
C catapault I'm laughing at your mammoth big hairy bunnies behind your fridge! The girls were actually fairly well-behaved when Rick painted the living room. Mollipop, of course!, had a blue smudge on her tail. But that was it.

The haze is better here today; Rick is outside, spraying the green bean plants as something persists in munching down. And we had a wee bit of drizzle last night, maybe for about an hour.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, put the first load of laundry in the washer.
  • Vacuum, swiffer
  • Clean kitchen, bathroom
Nothing major going on today.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We had about 3/8 inch of rain late yesterday afternoon. A good drizzly rain, just not enough of it.

Not much going on today. Rick got up to feed the cats and, since he was up and the grass was still wet, he walked around the front yard with Weed 'n' Feed. Our front yard will probably disappear now!
  • Drinking my coffee and will scoop the boxes.
  • Change the bed sheets, but will wash on Monday.
  • Make a small bowl of potato salad and I have dough for hamburger buns proofing in the oven for tonight.
  • There are a couple new Dead Files episodes that I haven't watched, so I'll hit the Shed this afternoon/tonight to catch up. And check the plants while I'm out there.
Our son was at Costco yesterday. He texted me with a picture of King Arthur's 00 pizza flour. Did I want? Yes, please! He bought me two bags. Yes! Fist-pump! Now we have to go down to pick it up. And it only cost me two batches of chocolate crinkle cookies!

My brother and SIL visited with us yesterday afternoon. They also have the ductless air conditioning system, just another brand. He asked me how I liked our system and I do like it. But I mentioned that I also still enjoyed open windows. He told me that that's really a no-no; once you turn the units on, you really shouldn't turn them off. It can cause mildew to grow in the units around the filters from condensation. Well, darn. They didn't know it and used to turn their units off when they had nice summer nights. It cost them almost $200 per unit to clean them out. Whoa. Rick did a little research this morning and yeah, you really shouldn't turn them off, just turn them over to Fan and run them that way. Well, darn again. He said that we have to clean the filters out regularly, so he'll try to choose cooler days to remove the filters and clean them. When he does that, I can open windows to get the house aired out a bit. But I am frustrated about it. The installers never told us that. Although I really didn't ask either.

Still, the units are good and they work well. We would have been screwed with those hazy, smokey days this week without the units. And we've had some very hot days already this summer when the cats would have been trying to deal with the heat. Now, they don't even know. And that's good. We keep it at a solid 72F all the time; I think Dear Richard would like it cooler. Some nights, it really bothers me bc I tend to be chilly at night. And honestly, the units are so quiet, I tend to forget they're on. Overall, I'm glad we did it.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom I didn't want to respond to your post right away, because I wanted to think about it and wasn't really sure what to say. I am an agnostic. I think there's something "else," but not quite sure what that is. I don't go to church (long story and this is not about me). I knew you were Catholic, but didn't know that you were living in a Jewish building. I'm glad you were able to get a Mass for the residents, many of whom are, no doubt, Catholic as well. They are older and probably not able to get around that easily. So to have a Mass may really help them. And I know it will mean something to them.

As for you "taking over," well, I see it as you're doing what you need to do in order to get this to fruition. I don't know if I ever told you before, but you continue to amaze me with all you're accomplishing. I think you are an exceptionally strong and smart woman. And you just do what you feel you need to to get everything done. Not everyone can do that. You can. And you do.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom I didn't want to respond to your post right away, because I wanted to think about it and wasn't really sure what to say. I am an agnostic. I think there's something "else," but not quite sure what that is. I don't go to church (long story and this is not about me). I knew you were Catholic, but didn't know that you were living in a Jewish building. I'm glad you were able to get a Mass for the residents, many of whom are, no doubt, Catholic as well. They are older and probably not able to get around that easily. So to have a Mass may really help them. And I know it will mean something to them.

As for you "taking over," well, I see it as you're doing what you need to do in order to get this to fruition. I don't know if I ever told you before, but you continue to amaze me with all you're accomplishing. I think you are an exceptionally strong and smart woman. And you just do what you feel you need to to get everything done. Not everyone can do that. You can. And you do.
Thank You.. Yeah, I really thought before I posted this. I know religion is a very 'sore' subject among all. I really appreciate your comments. I never think I am strong, or wise enough, for this stuff.. I am always questioning myself.
I am trying to take a step back, at this point, focus on the chores I was told to do... I just do not want this service to 'fail'. It has been many years coming.. It was constantly denied in the past. So, this is important. Yes, there will be mistakes, but with planning, perhaps we can avoid major ones.

I really cannot believe how vocal, loud and complaining; I have become, since living in here. Man... I do not recognize myself.

Yes, many find if physically difficult to attend Mass.. It has always seemed as if the Catholic faith took second stage in here. There are more non-Jewish, than Jews in the building. Last year, They started a non denominational service in here, and a coffee hour with a group of Muslims. The current rabbi, is young, female, very approachable, and inclusive of all faiths. This is what is making a difference in here.

The one part which I think is really bugging me, is that the person in charge of the music--- not a musician or a vocalist--- does things fly by nigh; and at the last minute. We have a guitarist who will play for us, but he needs the sheet music NOW... This person is also the one who will be taking credit for all of the Mass..
But, in my heart, I know that I am doing right, but she really galls me... She is self-promoting and a hypocrite. and she thinks she can sing!! oh boy!

Today is a blah day..
Had leg cramps all night long. I think it is because I did not drink much water yesterday, and wore shoes with a tiny bit of a heel...

*Regular morning stuff, including Geoffrey
*quick vacuum today--- cleaner was in yesterday for bathroom and kitchen floor
*pick up some groceries
* sort laundry for Monday-- what I am sending out and what I am washing..
nothing else if really planned...

Tired from lack of sleep.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I was up at the garden yesterday and ended up picking strawberries and picking and shelling peas. We had a good cup of peas to throw into our beef stew yesterday, plus a pint bag to freeze. We had enough strawberries for strawberry shortcake for dessert last night.

It's raining today, thank god, and we have absolutely nothing planned. I've been reading and Rick is hanging out on his iPad. The cats have been switching between Rick and me for laps for napping.
A good day to do absolutely nothing. We don't get many of those.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I create for entries my web site with Arachnophilia. It works just fine on my Sony Windows 7 machine. Which develops shadows on the monitor after about 15 to 20 minutes. I have upgraded to an HP Windows 10, but it doesn't like the version of Arachnophilia I use. Therefore the entry I created for butter and cheese making at the Bouman Stickney museum had to be done in 15 to 20 minute segments - selecting and editing pictures, creating text, etc. Came out very nice, but tedious to say the least.

Kitchen now all painted. Painter is a charming man. I feed him lunch when he's here. He came on Sunday afternoon and spray stained my tool shed. What a difference! For dinner I made two pizza in cast iron frying pans - one black olives and mushrooms, other smoke ham with sweet pepper and red onion. Used 00 flour for crust (set dough to rise the day before using just a smidgeon of yeast) and it was excellent. Three bean salad for the side, and individual sour cherry cobblers for dessert. Would have served with vanilla ice cream but we were too full.

Everything that came out of the kitchen - cook books, copper pots, etc etc etc - is heaped up on dining room table, buffet, fireplace hearth. I am polishing copper as it goes back. Painter said to allow a week for bookcase to really harden before books go back. Good opportunity to sort through them . . .

FINALLY! rain yesterday. Forecast was for thunderstorms and drenching downpours. They were wrong. No lightening, no thunder, just four hours of steady rain adding up to half an inch. I'll take it but still wish for more. Oh well.

Let's see what today brings, besides polishing more copper pots.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We enjoyed our day/rain yesterday. It was nice to just sit around and read for a change. We got about 7/8 of an inch. Supposedly more to come tomorrow. We'll see.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, coffee for Rick, none for me.
  • Dr appt for blood pressure check. BP is fine. Then I had coffee!
  • Shopping for underwear and socks for me. A few t-shirts.
Awake way too early this morning and am planning on an early night.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rain! Yes! I awakened, dragged my lazy butt out of bed and into the bathroom to get ready for the day. All 3 girls came into the bathroom to hurry me along. Followed the girls out to the living room and stopped to watch the rain running down the window. Continued to the kitchen to give the girls their ABB (after-breakfast breakfast). They make me smile. You would think they were never, ever fed anything, the way they carry on.

Not much going on again today. I like to watch River Monsters on Wednesday nights. Rick has been calling Wednesdays "Fishmonger Wednesday" or FMW. He's a snot. HE watches those Hallmark romance movies sometimes and I don't say a word to him as I walk past him and roll my eyes wildly and shake my head so fast, it causes breezes in the house. But I don't say a word! Out loud, that is. But boy, I'm thinking it.

So I guess all I'm planning on doing is dealing with FMW.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
called post office, internet company and the electric company to get stuff changed over to the new apartment
texted with the mom in law about plans for tomorrow
called city bus to go get a ride set up to get the lease and keys to new apartment

later talk to mamanyt1953

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
  • I made cookie batter for Oatmeal Raisin Pecan cookies yesterday. And baked them this morning. Just finished. Rick was taking his mom's Kindle to her and I wanted to give her some cookies.
  • We're taking care of my sister's furkids while they're on vacation. They have eight kids; sometimes we go over and find all eight, but usually we're missing one or two. We go twice a day. That Harley; he's my favorite fur-nephew! :redheartpump: I don't think he's a Maine Coon, but he's a big boy. I come into the house and say, "Where's my HarleyBarley?" and oof! he's in my arms. I love that boy.
2023HarleyBarley.jpg

• I still need to scoop my girls' boxes; I was busy this morning and didn't get it done yet.
  • I took a chicken out of the freezer. I asked Dear Richard what he wanted for Fathers' Day on Sunday and he asked for Chicken Stoltzfus. It's a creamy chicken sauce/gravy over crisp pastry squares. Not like pot pie. He loves it and it's a PITB to make, so I don't make it often.
  • Get laundry tonight for tomorrow.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's raining today. Very welcome. Plus, am hoping the welcome rain gets itself out of the way. Why so, when I have been begging for rain? Because tomorrow I am going off on a five garden tour, Designed for Nature, with a focus on native plants. A friend will drive, I am providing lunch, Himself laid out our route (but would not ever want to tour gardens.) And would prefer to have our travels and picture taking without the need for an umbrella. Will report back after the event.

Load of laundry this morning.

Still putting things back in the kitchen after their removal for the painting. I was advised to let the paint cure / harden for a week before re-shelving books. Need to sort through, then re-shelve this weekend.) Polishing the copper pots as I bring them back into kitchen. Etc etc etc.

Tool shed looks magnificent now that it was sprayed with a semi-solid stain. I am sorting empty plastic pots that are kept behind it. Some are huge, two handle black tubs that nurseries use for shrubs and trees. Very useful for moving things about the garden.

And that was before lunch.

Supper will be something made from the leftover of the very excellent tuna steak.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watered the outside plants
Picked up my 2 sets of Retired Military License Plates from the Courthouse.
Trimmed the deadwood from a neighbors hedge.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick just left for a public sale down the road from us. The people having the sale are distant relatives. He's always looking for tools or anything interesting.
  • Breakfast for the girls and am sitting back here with my coffee
  • We took care of my sister's clan this morning before Rick left for the sale.
  • First load of laundry is in the washer. Change the bedsheets.
  • Vacuum, swiffer, etc.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friend is picking me up about 9-ish. Having my coffee right now, then will load up the picnic cooler with our lunch (tuna macaroni salad), snacks (cherries), two large chocolate chip cookies, and homemade lemonade. And then off for the day with garden visits!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad came over this morning to help me finish putting in a gate on the side of my garage and we finally finished today which included installing fencing up a tiered garden. While I was stepping off the bottom tier of the garden when we were nearly done, my ankle twisted pretty bad. It's just a sprain, but I am going on vacation next week where I had a lot of walking and hiking planned, so I'm hoping it will be okay by then.
I plan on finalizing some trip details later and then watch a bunch of YouTube videos while I ice my ankle.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see -

Sorting through and editing images of the five gardens my friend and I visited yesterday for the Designed for Nature garden tour. Took numerous pictures in the first garden, not so many for the other four. Trying to decide how to deal with writing entries for my web site.

Yesterday was a delight. My friend drove, we found access to bathrooms (twice) when needed (Paneras and a library, if you are interested) and shady picnic benches in a park near the Mercer Museum in Doylestown for our picnic lunch. The five gardens were of variable quality (to be expected) but all had pleasant homeowners, ditto volunteer helpers, and something worth seeing.

Today - tah da! - I get to put cookbooks back into the kitchen bookcase. Which means sorting through them. Some haven't been in recent use but I really don't want to discard them. But by the same token - why keep them conveniently to hand in the kitchen? Which means trying to shelve them on already crowded shelves in the other bookcase(s) on the lower landing.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
talk to mamanyt1953

later put clean laundry up and start another load in the laundry room
try to get some more stuff unpacked

Status
Not open for further replies.