Not open for further replies.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
write my letters
hope to chat with jcatbird and mamanyt1953 later after hubs goes to work tonite
try to get some much needed reading done later
possibly work on the cat book shelf again ( if my back will let me)

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The St Nicholas Day Celebration at the Erwin-Stover House across the river in Pennsylvania yesterday was very nice. Enough so that I created the entry for my web site today: BelleWood-Gardens - Diary

That was this morning. This afternoon I helped Himself stack the firewood he split.

Now we are each enjoying a cup of tea with honey, to warm up. Not very cold out but somewhat damp so it feels rather chilly.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick got up with the girls this morning, but I got up around 7:30.
Haven't done much at all today....
  • Scooped the boxes
  • Spent the afternoon in the Shed while Rick was watching his Birds (the Eagles) on tv.
  • Making dinner, will eat, clean the kitchen, and go back out to the Shed.
Such an exciting day!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Craziness around here:
*Up early for Church.. Geoffrey would to. wake up. I was so worried about him...then he got up.. such a sound sleep.
*Mass--sat through 99.5% of it.
* had to do laundry--- gimping along with the broken toe--ouchie, it really hurts...
* in another funk.. or continuing funk... iced foot..
*phone call from a weird family member.
*put close in dryer.
* got many texts from a friend who just returned from Florida for Christmas--- a snow bird.. She wanted to meet up.. foot/toe killing me... wanted to go, but not--- It is a beach restaurant about 100 yards from my building..debating..

** Major disaster in building...The fire alarm went off-- and I mean went off. Began as an alarm in corridor, then it ran into apartment with a very alarming sound, in addition to the alarm in the corridor. The verbal speech pattern said there was a MAJOR EVENT in building and to get to lobby!! OMG>>> I could not believe it... Granted, this is a new system, but I have NEVER heard this before... I ended up putting on winter Jacket, hobbled down the stairs to the lobby. Geoffrey was completely freaked out from the noise. The noise actually came into my apartment from the motion detector.. It was horrendous. I could not stand it...

Saw the Fire Department here... the Fire Supervisor/marshal was here... The ladder truck came in..many people in lobby.
I hobbled down the stairs---not trusting elevator. Ran into guy who said that he was in the shower; suddenly black water started coming down from the ceiling!!! OMG>> I KNEW it was serious at that point...

While on the ground floor, I walked down to the opposite end of building, where this guy lived.. OMG>>> OMG>>>
The floor was flooded with water flowing down from the ceiling... IT was serious... OMG>> so many FireFighters here!!
I walked down to the area on the first floor. Water streaming down... the ceiling ended up collapsing...

Rumor was that they may have to shut off the electricity, in order to deal with the water damage. At this point we thought it was a huge water pipe break.

I was so worried about Geoffrey.. I kept thinking: he has a death sentence with the lymphoma, he is my baby, he has been sick.. He is scared to death from the noise.. It was a bit quieter downstairs..
I took a chance on the elevator--- I got the Swiffer, fell on my knees, to get him out from under my bed. I had to do this a couple of times.. Finally, I got him. Put him in his carrier.. got out my little flatbed, to wheel him around with.. still hobbling...
I grabbed all his meds, my meds, a 16 oz bottle of water, a throw to cover his carrier with, filled a teapot with water, and my Brita-- just in case the water had to be shut off..

I took another chance on the elevator... my side of the building is the direct opposite of the damaged side.
Geoffrey was screaming.. OMG.. poor boy.. the noise, his being sick, and so frightened by all of this.....I was on the verge.. I really was...

Finally got him downstairs, covered his carrier with his blanket.. covered him up completely with the towel in his carrier..
He finally calmed down.. it was a bit quieter downstairs.. but he was still frightened. People were asking me what I in my tiny flatbed.. I said it was my cat.. I lost it.. Tears in my eyes, I said, HE is sick, he has cancer, He has a death sentence. I am NOT leaving him alone upstairs.. I was almost crying at this point...many people saw how upset I was.. it was insane.
I was insane...

The first Maintence guy finally showed up, with the firefighters.. I cheered him..
The entire Maintence staff is here, and will be all night. One property management person arrived. I was so happy to see her. I told her so..

Finally the firefighters shut off the alarm. I asked if I could go back to my apartment.. The Chief said I could.. took Geoffrey back home...

I texted my friend, and we did meet up at the beach spot for supper an a couple drinks... I really need the company, and the drinks at that point.

By the time I hobbled back home, the entire Maintence was in... and the property management person was still there.. and the executive director of the building finally came in... and the called in a restoration company to work on the apartments. They were already at work-- a couple hours after this first started.
They are going to asses...and put-up the residents who have damaged apartments up at a hotel, for at least one night, if not longer.,

Discovered that this began because a handicapped person, put her tea kettle on to boil, and it kept boiling, but emitted a 'smoke"... OMG... The water steamed off, and she burnt the kettle, causing the fire alarm in her apartment, the sprinklers in her apartment, and the outside water sprinkler to start... OMG>>> She caused this!! not paying attention to a whistling tea kettle... OMG>...... OMG>>> She says she does not know what happened!! OMG.. She either did not have enough water in the kettle, or she was oblivious to the smell of burning things.. OMG>>> I need to get out of here....
But, the SYSTEM really did work well.. It did... Frightening; but. it worked... It was just me, being so worried about Geoffrey//

So glad it is on the opposite side from me, in this building...same floor but 180 degrees from me....Thank You, God...

I really do not think I can handle any more badness... I mean it... this is getting to be too much...

*Got to see my friend...
Had a good supper---cheeseburger with sweet potato fries and a Vodka and Tonic.. or 2...

** Geoffrey was so loving when I came home, after supper and drinks.. I gave him some more of the RAWZ rabbit: which he devoured....

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes! Glad you and Geoffrey are on the other side of the building from the disaster zone. Hope you sleep well tonight after all that unnecessary, unneeded disruption and excitement.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you are feeling better.... I know, Evelyn can be demanding; but..

We just lost a lovely, sweet, kind person in here.. at age 97.. She really liked me. I really liked her. The last time I saw her she took my hand, and wished me a very wonderful Thanksgiving-- in case she did not see me just before the holiday. She always told me how she loved my articles in the newspaper, and kept asking when the next edition was coming out...
My heart sank, when I heard she passed; another funeral to attend. Man, it does not pay to even try to get acquainted with anyone in here...

I kind of lost it yesterday with the book club. I mean, they decided to read one of my favorite books.. a fantasy.. NO ONE read it.. well, one did, one member read it years ago, and loved it. The new member who read it, was not even there. I mean, how, how, do people belong to a book club, fail to read a book they all agreed on before hand!! I was exhausted, late to the meeting and lost it. I started out by asking, "How many read the book? If you did not, they what was your reasoning for NOT reading it? preconceived notions? Why????": and I was off. I did lose it with one really senior person, who is demanding, and loud, only wanted to talk about herself, and her life, and what she lost..Not listening to how she misinterpreted what I said. and another member was making faces behind her back..

OMG. It is like kindergarten in here!! I mean it.. It was really a Sh%% Show.. I gave up. Another member told me not to feel bad about anything. To let it all go, it was not worth it..

I did order the next book, because it did sound interesting to me. But I am out of this club. It is dwindling down fast.

In many ways, I wish I was not living here. In many ways, it is good to live here. I am still one of the younger residents, and definitely one of the very few who has an open mind, and is young thinking.

I am wiped out. I wish I could get a good nights sleep. I thought I would last night, because new sheets, turned mattress, but my next door neighbor sleeps on her sofa!! and her TV is mounted on the wall where the head of my bed is (shared wall).. She keeps the TV on, until 2, 3 in the morning.. I am a light sleeper, and not deaf. She refuses to use her bed. The bed is for her dog!!
I even have the air cleaner on high, to try to drone out the murmuring .. nope..
Trying to be a good neighbor, as this woman can be @itchy... She is the owner of the demon dog.. but....

*up early for an appointment for the car--- remote start not working.. dam.. I would rather deal with a private shop rather than the dealership. The cold weather is just about here. I need the remote start.
*abbreviated morning stuff-- medicated Geoffrey
*stopped at Deli for some stuff--- food on menu is gross this week-- as it usually is, but worse.
* would love to take a nap with G, but.. laundry needs to be done.. good day for it.

As I was driving home, I drove through the rain. It is starting, not much where I live, but it is on it's way. We are expecting not a ton of rain, but very gusty winds until Thursday night.. then back again over the weekend.

Sipping a second cup of coffee; before I give Geoffrey his chemo capsule... and run out for laundry.. The sooner begun, the sooner it is over with. Will change clothes into hang around clothes.
Oh gods I hear you! I live in a retirement village and while they’re all nice people, I really don’t want to join bingo clubs and the like.
Also on the noise - loud music has made me physically sick for decades. Thank Bast it’s not that bad here, but yes, those paper-thin walls don’t help. I use a white noise machine and have thick blankets on the walls, but they only mask noise a bit.

Do you sleep with earplugs? I’ve tried umpteen types over the years and find these ones comfortable and effective.

Also, are there no rules in the place about night time noise???

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gods I hear you! I live in a retirement village and while they’re all nice people, I really don’t want to join bingo clubs and the like.
Also on the noise - loud music has made me physically sick for decades. Thank Bast it’s not that bad here, but yes, those paper-thin walls don’t help. I use a white noise machine and have thick blankets on the walls, but they only mask noise a bit.

Do you sleep with earplugs? I’ve tried umpteen types over the years and find these ones comfortable and effective.

Also, are there no rules in the place about night time noise???
In order for them to do anything about nighttime noise, the covering Maintence person would have to witness it themselves ... I am not about to call maintenance at 11pm.. or so.. and they would probably not hear it, because they would not be trying to fall asleep..
RE: ear plugs.. I have them, but never used them. I hear Geoffrey barfing. He calls me.. and in the case of the fire alarm; I want to be able to hear it.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom At this point, I don't even know what to say. I hope it all calms down for you. And soon! Glad you and G are OK!

Chilly night. There was frost when I got up this morning. Slept in until around 7:30, when Tabby hopped into bed, walked up to me and said, "Now!" OK! Got up, got dressed and the girls walked me out to the kitchen. Since Amber passed, we no longer get up at 4:30 or 5:00 to feed breakfast. Now, it's usually around 6:30 - 7:00 and, occasionally, about 7:30 or so. Almost like a vacation.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am back here with my coffee.
  • I think we're going to Lowes this morning; Rick has a decorating idea he wants to try for my outdoor cement planters. I want to look for wreaths, although it's probably too late to find any. I don't want real ones.
  • When we get home, Rick is going to decorate a bit outside. I'm going to bake cookies.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
unload dishwasher (but finish my coffee first)
"baptize" all the small loaves of fruitcake with brandy
review long keeping Christmas cookie recipes and check that I have all ingredients for the ones I decide to bake

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick got up with the girls and then Molli came back to bed after breakfast. She and I cuddled for a while, until I decided to drag my butt out of bed.
  • Hit Target for prescriptions at some point on the way to dinner tonight. I also need cornstarch. I am completely out and not one store has any cornstarch! I've been looking now for almost two weeks and all I see are empty spots on the shelves....what's the deal with cornstarch right now? I want to try a cookie recipe for lemon crinkles and I need a teaspoon of cornstarch. And yes, I could make the cookies without it, I suppose, but I'd rather not. I'll check at Target.
  • Going out to dinner with a guy from Rick's bowling team and his wife. I don't know them and, as I mentioned on the Dinner board, I've been slowly panicking since last week about it. I'm not a fan of meeting new people. Once I get to know somebody, I'm fine. But until then, I'm usually scared poopless. Rick did this to me before, when we went out to dinner with some friends of his from work; they knew him quite well, but I didn't know them at all. And we've turned into good friends now. It's just getting over that hump, I guess. I suck at meeting people; I don't know how people do it.
  • Rick and I are planning a road trip, either for this Friday or next Monday. There are several pretzel outlets in southern PA that we'd like to visit....just because. He's in the living room on his iPad now, figuring out a decent route that we can hit each outlet, come back through Gettysburg and hit the outlet mall there, and then hit Trader Joe's on the way home. He's "researching".

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Our dinner last night was nice. They're very nice people and I enjoyed talking with them.
It's really foggy out this morning. I cannot see a thing!
  • Breakfast for the girls, the dishwasher wasn't full enough to run last night, and I'm back here with my coffee.
  • I have the first of two loads (three, if I change the bed sheets) in the washer.
  • Butter is softening in the microwave. There's a recipe for Lemon Crinkles that I want to try. That's what I needed the cornstarch for (and we finally found it). Make and chill the dough for several hours. I'll probably make the dough today and chill until tomorrow morning.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Another dreary morning.
I did get all the laundry done, including the bedsheets yesterday. Vacuumed, swiffered, etc.

Rick's sister called. She was going to forgo a Christmas tree this year, but my BIL would like to have one. She asked if Rick would put it up for them, do the lights and then help her decorate. And while he and she are doing that, I'm going to help my BIL make sausage, kielbasa, etc! Yum! He makes the absolute best and, while he did give me all of his recipes, he is the master. So once they figure out a day, we'll spend a day with them. Works for me.
  • I made those lemon crinkles yesterday and will bake them today. They don't have much of a lemony taste, considering they have 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice (and I did zest and juice lemons for them) and the zest and even a teaspoon of lemon extract. Still not much in the way of lemon. (Yes, salmonella isn't pretty. But life is short. Eat the damn cookie batter!)
    Salmonella.jpg
  • Will be working on my Christmas menus and trying to figure out my last-minute grocery list. The Grands told me what they'd like to have (and I think they had help from their Dad!).
  • I really need to clean my kitchen.

Last edited:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In order for them to do anything about nighttime noise, the covering Maintence person would have to witness it themselves ... I am not about to call maintenance at 11pm.. or so.. and they would probably not hear it, because they would not be trying to fall asleep..
RE: ear plugs.. I have them, but never used them. I hear Geoffrey barfing. He calls me.. and in the case of the fire alarm; I want to be able to hear it.
Gah, that’s as bad as the police with the “if we didn’t see it, it didn’t happen” attitude.
I don’t think there are any earplugs on earth that would block a fire alarm, but yes, you do need to be able to hear Geoffrey.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let’s see …

Went to today’s knitting group instead of Tuesday’s, because of the likelihood of having to take Mum to an appointment on Tuesday (which proved correct);
Had lunch in town (sausage roll, caramel slice and iced latte, yum) and wandered along the beachfront;
Came home and fed the Starving and Outraged kitties, and have been pinned down by them ever since.

FBAD3159-A5E1-42E4-9E1D-B67FACB69509.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.