Name Three Things - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
  • Did 6 pints of corn for the freezer (the corn isn't the best and we're glad we got that much)
  • Made a huge stockpot of pasta sauce for the freezer
  • More peppers for the freezer. We really need to replenish our peppers box. More peppers are slowly coming.
  • Ordered coffee from Fire Dept Coffee: bourbon-infused for me and black cherry for Dear Richard. Best. Coffee. Ever.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It was a busy day.. very busy.. Very busy.. my spine, and spine are are talking to me.. and a some knee twinges .. Hip is getting bad.. Sudden sharp groin pain which causes leg to buckle a bit. Need to talk to PCP about it. Not what I need now.. With Geoffrey and his meds, I cannot rely on anyone to medicate him. I cannot get sick, or have issues.

*ImVet called at 7:30am with Geoffreys blood test results (CBC).!! So early!! I had emailed his secretary, last night saying that I had a busy day and an early morning dentist appointment. Geoffrey's White Blood count is normal!!!! I asked if we could try decreasing the dose of the prednisolone, since he is still lethargic, has much more thinning fur, and has put on 2 lbs!! little piggy. I stated that I was worried about him developing diabetes from the steroid.
IMVet was so nice!! He said, it was ok, to eliminate one dose during the day. Geoffrey is on 2 doses.That Geoffrey must be very sensitive to the steroid. At his IMVet appointment in September, the vet will check out his blood sugar, in addition to CBC... It was such a great way to start the day. Last night I wa a literal wreck, worried about the results.. Im Vet was so nice.. as he use to be., with me.. not rushed at all. He took his time to explain things to me. So now, Geoffrey and I have to both go on diets!!

*Went to dentist appointment
*Grocery store
* signed up for a discount with cable!!
* watched and helped judge/score keep the staff with their bocce game!
* Did 2 loads of laundry~~ took hours!! Laundry room was crowded..

* Geoffrey's prescription food came in!!! Hooray!! I scored on that one.Karma was with me... It is out of stock nationwide. I found a place which put me on a waiting list.. Shockingly, they got it in stock, and followed through on my order. Geoffrey is all set for a couple months with his canned food. He is suddenly loving it! I told a person on a kitty FB forum about the place I got it. Her cat has renal failure, heart issues, and this is the only food her cat can eat. She is going crazy.

* picked up a tiny deli turkey sub with lettuce and tomato. It was supposed to have raw onions. Thankfully, either they remembered my request to keep the onions on the side.. or they thought of it on their own. I cannot eat raw onions.

I cannot wait to see how Geoffrey will react to the decrease in steroid dose.. fingers crossed..:crossfingers:

My 'friend' wants me to call her. She is the guy's partner.. She was mad at me, until I bit my Tonge and apologized to her, after she returned my extra house key to me.. dam..She took my keys back.. I hate this.. I saw her yesterday, she asked if I was ok. She said I had not called her for a few days..She saw me as I was taking Geoffrey out.

It was a very thankful, good day... I needed one. I really did..
Oh, and one of the guys from Bocce, signed me up for a historical trolley tour of the city. It is originating at the senior center. I had called them a couple days ago, and they did not have a sign up sheet. It came out today, so he put my name on it.

It was a grateful day.. It really was..
I am celebrating with a vodka and tonic; before I call my 'friend". live and learn.. ""Fool me once, shame on you--Fool me twice, shame on Me"....

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom I'd give your post more than one hug if I could. I'm so glad G is to the point where his steroids can be decreased. Some cats are more sensitive than others. Being able to decrease it is good news indeed. And I'm glad that you got things cleared up with your friend and that she took the keys back. That city tour sounds really interesting.

Our kids moved into their new house last month. Unfortunately I was laid up with the knee thing and couldn't help at all. Our son called; they want us to come down this weekend. And they want me to cook. Well, actually, my son and I have this idea about grilled chicken that we want to try. I'm making broccoli salad and potato salad, a gluten-free blueberry cobbler (for DIL) and either a strawberry pie or strawberry pretzel dessert. The Grands want anything strawberry; Rick wants the strawberry pretzel dessert, so that's what I'm leaning toward. I think it would be easier to transport the pretzel dessert than the pie. I know it's a little late for good strawberries, but we weren't able to get together earlier this year because my eye doctor wanted me to stay away from people bc of Covid and having cataract surgeries.
  • I need a few things from the store for our dinner with the kids this weekend, so I'll run down this morning. I think Rick wants to do a run to Lowes, too.
  • Two loads of laundry
  • Vacuum, swiffer, etc.
  • Vacuum, swiffer out in the WeShed, too. Water the Shed plants. Sweep the deck.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PT today. They must think I'm doing well because A) they made a couple of exercises more difficult and B) added something new.

Made macaroni salad (campanelle with par-cooked diced carrot, sliced black olives, mayonnaise and oregano) for our dinner tonight, to accompany chicken salad.

Took a half batch of chocolate chip cookie dough balls out of freezer and baked. Himself is happy.

Trying to work up the energy to go out and water pots, which seriously need it.

Update: I did get outside and watered the pots along one side of the house. Will plan on watering those on the back side tomorrow. By which time those along the front walk will be wilting and needing water . . .

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Already did rounds at work. Stopped by the supermarket to pick up ingredients for dinner. Laundry is going now. It's tax free weekend so will be buying a few things online.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault Good job with your exercises!
artiemom artiemom How are you feeling this morning?

A lovely cool night last night. It's the first night in forever that we didn't have the fan on in the window. And when I got up this morning, Dear Richard was on the couch wrapped up in a blanket. He looked at me and said, "What? I was cold! I'm not used to this weather anymore!" :lol:

I bought glasses! Finally! I need larger lenses because smaller ones tend to mess with my bifocals and I have difficulty finding them. I ordered prescription glasses and prescription sun glasses. They should call in about two weeks. I'm excited. We were out catting around yesterday morning and decided to stop in at an eye place. Now I need to send the paperwork into Medicare as they'll pay 40% of the cost of one of my glasses.
  • A bit of laundry
  • A cooking afternoon. I'm making food to take down to the kids tomorrow.
  • Finally made that hair appt for this Tuesday. I just kept putting it off.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
visited with my neighbor before she left to see her family in another town
probably take a nap soon ( tired and cant seem to rest)
check my mail ( later )

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's uncomfortable Winchester Winchester but I'm doing my best. Yesterday's "new" exercise - for a long time, well before surgery, I'd go up and down stairs like a toddler. Step up, bring other foot to that step, repeat. Yesterday they had me go up and down the four steps from one exercise room to the other like a grownup, one step, next step, never 2 feet on the same step. The risers are lower than on steps at home. But what the heck, I should go for it, right? At home it is 7 steps, then a landing, then 7 more steps whether transition is from main floor up to second floor or down to basement. So that's what I'm doing, only one foot per step. Up is difficult enough but down is even worse.

Watered one set of pots already this morning because this weather will just suck moisture out of them. Beautiful sunny, comfortable temperature with low humidity day. I'd rather have gray overcast and rain.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
C catapault You really amaze me.. You really do.. an inspirations as is Winchester Winchester

Speaking of Winchester Winchester I am ok.. yesterday?? What did I do?? oh, I putzed around here, then went out to the old burial ground, took pictures, added to my newspaper article-- I am doing a piece on the Old Rumney Marsh Burial Ground. It is going to be a two parter. One on the history of it, and some of the people buried in it: slaves who are buried in marked and unmarked graves, Revolutionary War Hero Pastor, Civil War Vets, a Medal of Honor Vet, etc. Many prominent families of our city, and the wife of a convicted Warlock---Salem Witch Trials. His wife is buried there. He is buried in another city!!

Through being on the newspaper, and having all my articles on what interests me--instead of a certain topic; I am finding that I really enjoy exploring and researching things. I never did this before,, never.. I focused on sciences. This I find really interesting, and fascinating. I am kind of getting a following, in here. I had one of my 'building' friends, tell me that I should have been a journalist.. OMG>> I think that is not true, but...... it was a great compliment. I never excelled in English of any type in high school. I did have a good English Comp class in College----but only one year. My grammar, punctuation, phrasing is terrible. I write as if I were talking to someone.. But with much better wording...
~~~~~
I guess I feel ok... lower spine just seems to be stiff, and the hip is still going out on me, occasionally. I really need to lose the weight. I know that is not good for the joints. I ordered some Tumeric, with black pepper; to try as an anti-inflammatory.. Who knows... I am over due on a couple of yearly tests--one bone density. I know once I have it done, it will probably show some osteoporosis in my lower spine and hip.. That means infusion therapy... Which I do not want to start.. I have too much going on...
And if the new asthma med does not work, I am supposed to go on a biologic---YUK. UGH>> NO WAY!!

I am moderately allergic to cats---I already knew that. I told my pulmonologist that I was NOT GIVING my up CAT.. Both him and his Fellow, did not say anything. I got a letter from the Fellow, telling me to try to limit exposure, if/when my asthma symptoms are worsened.. NO WAY..
Geoffrey may well be my last kitty, so NO WAY...
~~~~~
Today... pluses and minuses..
*Up early to attend a funeral mass for a person on the building.
* just washed dishes, fed Geoffrey,
* Swiffered the litter up
* Mass,
*Jewish "SHABBAT" Saturday morning service, honoring a 29 year prior resident of the building. She is now in assisted care. Norma did so much in here-- a real 'force to be reckoned with"-- a dynamo.. and a frightening person, until you got to know her.. then she was a sweetheart.
She was here.. The service was lovely.. I had never attended a Jewish service. It was in our Community Room.
After the Service, the building provided a huge brunch, in honor of her. Normal attended it all--with her entire family.. It was so nice.. a really nice time. The kitchen staff--servers were here. It was a big deal..
So nice..
*Home to give Geoffrey his chemo..
* Read a long chapter in book club book: "For Whom the Bell Tolls"-- it is good, but I find the dialogue between characters kind of hard to read. I have to really concentrate on it. I also had to look up the Spanish Civil War, for some background. I find that Hemingway's description of events to be really engrossing.
* have to find him and give him some laxatone...
*** in a few hours I will give him, his daily dose of prednisolone.

Just hanging out.. cool day.. long sleeves, and long pants on... very cool at the beach.. NICE!!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom I am amazed at what all you're doing. Personally, I like reading something when it's written like that because it's almost like I'm there with the writer and she's just chatting. Very cool. I've been getting Prolia shots every six months; I guess they work. I haven't had a bone density test since I started getting the shots. My ortho-weenie keeps saying, "Pam, whatever you do, don't fall!" He's worried about fractures. And, of course, knee problems.

My Charge 5 came yesterday as did our coffee. I wasn't expecting either until Monday, so that was a nice surprise. Got the C5 charged, updated, and started wearing it. It helps me to have a FitBit, simply because I like getting those steps and it gives me a bit of incentive. While I'm cooking, I'll grab some extra steps waiting for water to boil, for example. I walk around when I'm brushing my teeth. If I'm waiting for the Foodi Grill to count down, I'll walk through the house. It's not much, but it helps. And I like to see the steps increase on the FitBit. Every little step helps, I guess. I'm up to 1/2 mile at a time and will try a full mile tomorrow. My physical therapist wants me to take my time.
  • My turn to get up with the girls. They let me sleep until 6:30 and then Muffin hopped up in bed and said, "OK, now, that's enough! Feed us!" OK, then! Gave them their breakfast, made our coffee, and emptied the dishwasher. Then I grabbed a quick shower.
  • Visiting with the kids this afternoon. I made a blueberry cobbler, but not sure I like how it turned out. Used gluten-free flour, so we'll see. I spent last night in the kitchen: the cobbler, strawberry pretzel dessert, a triple batch of broccoli salad, and some potato salad to take with us. The broccoli salad, esp, is very popular with the gang. Last time I only doubled the salad and it wasn't enough.
And I think that's it for today.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault I went down our steps like that before knee surgery. Since the surgery, I've been going down right, left, right, left. That was the hardest part of recovery, so I can imagine how hard it is for you. But it will come and soon, you'll be going down the steps without even thinking about it. Going down is harder than coming back up.

We had such a good time with the Grands yesterday. It was a long day, but we enjoyed it. Son and I did well with the chicken; he and I prefer doing bone-in pieces on the grill, but DIL bought boneless thighs. Made it a little trickier to get them done, but not dry. Son doesn't brine chicken. The strawberry pretzel dessert was a big hit with everyone; GS and Grandpa both wanted the last piece! They had to split it. :lol: I never made it before, but Rick remembers his mom making it; he loves the stuff. Turns out so does our grandson. I wasn't fond of the blueberry cobbler, but I think it was bc of the GF flour. Everybody else loved it. Got a tour of their new house. I'm so jealous of their second kitchen in the basement. And we finally got to meet Nola, their third Golden Retriever. She's four months old now and we never met her. What a sweetie. They have Beatrice, Saylah, and now Nola. I think they're done now. Three Goldens is enough! Beautiful babies. I threatened to bring Nola home.
  • We may go to Verizon today to try to decrease our phone bill.
  • A bit of house-cleaning, nothing major
  • Hang out in the Shed tonight for a while.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Very bad headache yesterday and I ended up napping most of the afternoon. But when I awakened, it was probably the best I've felt in almost a week. (The headache has been there, not really bad, but there. Yesterday, my head exploded and that was that. I had to go to bed.) I thought I'd never go to sleep last night bc of the nap, but, surprisingly, I dropped right off. Awakened at 4:15 to pee and again, dropped back off. I don't know what my nightmare was about, but Rick started yelling at me to wake up, wake up. Evidently, I was yelling, "Help! Help!" Maybe I don't want to know what I was dreaming! Something about water in a large creek area and an elevator. Weird.
  • Up with the girls this morning at 6:30. Breakfast, dishwasher, coffee for Rick and me, a quick shower, and here I am.
  • Hair cut this morning. Yay! I am long overdue. Probably a good 3 inches need to be taken off to get the length back above my shoulders again.
  • Didn't hit Verizon yesterday (due to that headache) so will try today.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was a bad day.. all around.. all business related stuff.. it was one of those days when badness never stopped.

Today:
*Bocce---this morning and an couple games tonight..
*quick regular stuff.
I am exhausted.. We reduced G's pred dose to 1/2. He kept me up all night. all night: -- and then he vomited early this morning.
While his demeanor is more like the cat I knew; his not eating and vomiting means that the pred needs to be increased.. dam..
* have to follow up on some things, leftover from yesterday,
*pay bills...

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom I'm sorry that the pred needs to be increased again. You had a rough night.

I love my hair. I don't know why I wait so long between cuts. Ended up getting some peppers and a bit of corn into the freezer. We're done with corn now; the raccoons got into the garden and finished what little corn was left. Rick will be going out to pull the stalks out of the ground and move the soaker hoses to other parts of the garden; thankfully, he won't have to water corn any longer.
  • I did more peppers this morning. He was up in the garden last night and came down with an armful. "I don't know where they came from! They weren't there when I looked through this morning!" But there they were, bright red and so pretty. I just love Carmen peppers. (I had given some peppers to our neighbor the other week. Well, she's cooking something for dinner and she needed peppers for her dish. He was going to run into town, but instead he came over to us to grab a couple peppers. He took one bell pepper and one Carmen. It's good he came over before I chopped them all. They're the neighbors who go to the food bank on occasion; when they have racks of ribs at the food bank, he always gives us theirs. She wants nothing to do with preparing ribs.)
  • We're heading to the farmers' market in a little while. I hope they still have peaches. It was so hot and humid the other week when I was going to grab peaches that Rick put his foot down and said I wasn't doing pies in that heat.
  • Sweep the Deck and patio. I haven't put the Shed plants out in a while because it's been rather windy around here. But I need to water them. The squirrels are digging into my mulch over there. This morning, I saw a squirrel running along our flower bed out back with a walnut in his mouth. Chances are, he was running over to the mulch to hide "his" walnut. And we're trying to trap a groundhog that, we think, is living under the Shed. I hate trying to trap anything, but Rick is adamant that Mr. Groundhog needs to be trapped and moved down into the woods. So far, no luck. We've put strawberries, lettuce, cabbage, and some slivered carrots into the trap. We're ready to try peanut butter on bits of celery and see if that works.
And that is my day. Such exciting lives we have! Not!

ETA: And Dear Richard is on his way to the woods....with a possum. We'll probably catch everything but the groundhog. And if he catches a skunk? He's on his own! :lol:

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
The IMVet is on vacation, but checks in, periodically--- such devotion.. He said to not increase the steroid dose, it may be just a one time thing.. But Geoffrey's appetite has been decreased also. He is losing weight on his own. Must be the decreased steroid amount. All of a sudden, he is not wanting the wet food!! He keeps going back and forth on it.. And his PICA is back--searching for things to chomp on... I wonder if that is because his stomach is upset? need to ask vet, but I think he will not know...

I was so frazzled yesterday, with stress and from being up all night, that I gave G a dose of chemo. It was supposed to be a free day. I was frantic again.. I contacted IMVets secretary, she checked in with another Vet, who said it was ok.. and to skip today's dose. That is what I was planning on doing, but wanted the ok.. dam.. I swear, the older I get, the less stress I can handle, and the more stress I get... dam..

Today;
* Regular morning stuff
* brushed Geoffrey.. still hiding from me.. need to give him laxatone soon.
* a couple of phone calls
* chatted downstairs for a few minutes with some other tenants
* Went to grocery store; then a quick trip to Trader Joes for a couple of items. and another errand done.
** need to make a couple more business phone calls----dreading them..

Need to work on newspaper article.. putting it off.. that is not helping me. Going to be close to deadline.

Friday, I would like to go to the Farmers Market, to see if they have any peaches.. or a couple ears of corn.
They open at noon time. Last time I was there, I went right after 12 pm.. They did not have many vendors. if I go later, I hope there will be more.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday's PT may have been too much. Two new exercises added on to my existing ones. Or perhaps when the therapist stretched out my leg he was a little too enthusiastic at flattening it down. Whatever. It seemed like I spent more time trying to get back to sleep last night than I did actually sleeping. And so sore this morning that I gave in and took an acetaminophen.

Discovered that I never moved yesterday's laundry load of towels from washer to dryer. Ran it through another rinse, then into dryer. Washed / dried / folded a load of darks, washed / dried a load of whites which now need folded.

Scooped litter pan, fed cats. It's not the scooping that's the chore, it is walking downstairs to do it, then walking back upstairs.

Watered several pots of four o'clocks along the front walk. Overcast, but I'm not sufficiently sanguine to believe it will rain. And they're quick to wilt.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault You're still doing very well. I had an over-enthusiastic therapist the last time I had knee surgery. Honestly, I just wanted to smack him. Take your time. And maybe take a day of down-time, if you can.
artiemom artiemom I'm so sorry. Too much to do and it's easy to be so stressed. I hope Geoffrey can get back on an even keel for you. I feel bad for him and you!

Mr. Groundhog is definitely living under the Shed. I was sitting out on the Deck last night reading and using the soaker hose to water plants. It was very quiet and I heard scurrying sounds from under the Shed. He needs to go as he can do a lot of damage under there.
  • Peaches! We did go to the market yesterday and I bought 3/4 bushel of Red Havens. I plan to make 4 peach crumb pies, peach tea, and I'd like to try my luck with a pint or so of peach BBQ sauce. I don't know that I'll get it all done today, but I'm going to try.
  • Rick's mom's Kindle needs to be loaded with more audiobooks. He'll take it back to her this afternoon, along with a big slice of peach pie. He goofed yesterday when he picked up the Kindle....told her that I had made strawberry pretzel dessert to take down to the kids on Sunday. She got very upset when there wasn't any left for her. I told him, I told him to set a slice aside for her, but noooo. And then to rub salt in the wound, he told her I made it! She was not amused.
  • Get a walk in, even if it is just throughout the house. I started walking a mile on Monday. Some twinges in the knee, but nothing major. Still doing the PT exercises. When I get to 2 miles, I'd like to start walking on the treadmill in the basement. I'd like to wait to walk outside until it has cooled down, though; walking in the early evening or early morning is still quite warm and humid.
And that will be my day, I think.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Woodchuck repellent - take solids from litter pan and stuff down hole under the shed. It's either the smell or the litter itself but this has worked to evict them for me.

This morning I watered a rhododendron and nearby pots. Should probably have a "watering" icon for every day's three things.

Saw in the news that China is seeding clouds to create rain. Does that actually work?

Baked a tray of chocolate chip cookies.

Having cut all the ash logs to 18 inch length, this morning Himself started splitting. Took the tarp off the log splitter and oh my, wasps. He's allergic too. Fortunately they were somewhat sluggish so he danced on all the ones that fell to the ground, got the hornet spray and doused the nest. He described it as being about the size / shape of an English muffin.

That taken care of he went to pull-start the log splitter and for the first time ever it kicked back. His left wrist is sore. Did he stop? Of course not. He split a cart's worth of wood, and only then came in for an acetaminophen, and a wrist brace. Stacked the wood. Mentioned he won't be able to split any tomorrow because of my morning PT appointment. I said I would drive myself. Really, it's about time I should be driving. I just don't want to.

And that's our morning. Isn't even close to lunchtime yet, either.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault I think Rick's going to try that. The groundhog is too smart for the trap. He can put the solids at the north end, so the only way out is at the southern end. And then log up the southern end and add more solids. The bloody groundhog keeps moving the logs out of the way, so he can get in and out. Is Himself's wrist better? Good luck driving to your appt.

I finished all the baking and cooking I wanted to get done yesterday. And there's not a leftover peach in the house. My neighbor came right over for his pie, my sister picked up her pie, we had some of ours last night, and there's one in the freezer. Rick and I each tasted the peach BBQ sauce and we think it's pretty darn good. Can't wait to try it. Rick is a big fan of peach iced tea, so he's glad I made it. And there's extra peach syrup in the fridge for another batch.
  • We're having filled pork chops for dinner on Sunday, so I went down to the freezer this morning and put them in the fridge to start thawing. I'm going to have to hit the store for two Granny Smith apples to add to my filling for the chops and a bag of potatoes. I can't believe we went for groceries and there's not a potato in the house. Completely forgot about potatoes....and I had a list! And potatoes weren't on the list!
  • Do a quick vacuum. Clean the litter boxes and figure out which box is going to go. We have three cats and five boxes. The cats are only using a couple of the boxes at this point. We had two in the living room (because of Miss Amber), but I took one back to the computer room; the girls aren't using it at all. That will probably go. We'd like to power wash litterboxes, but that has to wait until we get some decent rain.
  • Two loads of laundry. I have a load for us and a load for kitty things.

Status
Not open for further replies.