Name Three Things - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom Thank you! My birthday is tomorrow, but we celebrated last night with my sister and BIL.
gilmargl gilmargl I'd love to see pictures of your kitchen. I love seeing kitchens. Yours is going to be awesome!

The house is clean, the laundry is done, and my headache is gone (I had my doubts last night as my BIL brought red wine and that usually sets the migraine off. But all is well today. Finally!) I didn't sleep in the WeShed last night. My sister left and I went to bed to read. And that was that.
  • Scoop the boxes
  • Work on Rick's mom's Kindle for audiobooks. We're taking a couple slices of my bread and a large chunk of coconut cake up to her. Rick told me I made bread and she said that she'd love a slice or two with "just a little butter". And when she found out I made the cake, she said, "I want a hunk. Not a slice, a hunk!" They don't make bread and they don't make a coconut cake. She told Rick she's really looking forward to both.
  • Hit the WeShed. Rick told me to re-subscribe to Discovery+, so I'm going to try it again.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friday into Saturday night the temperature dipped to 4.2 degrees Fahrenheit which is -15.4 Centigrade. This morning is comparatively balmy, at 28 degrees F up on the roof. Still have a fire going in the stove. I have Reynaud's Syndrome which means when they get cold my fingers turn white, go numb. And when they warm up again they tingle and can actually be painful.

We will be going out to do some shopping and fuel up my car shortly. Need more distilled water for the humidifiers, cocoa to make cocoa, milk for the same reason and also my coffee, etc. Fuel up my car because it is about half empty. If we need to park at the bottom of the driveway it is better to have the fuel tank full should the weather be bitterly cold.

Our daughter-in-law has covid. She once again went to Texas last Monday. Her cousin and cousin's daughter were in a dreadful car accident, both died and burned so badly the authorities had to use dental records to identify them. The younger woman leaves behind a 3 year old daughter and a distraught husband. The older cousin leaves behind her husband, another daughter with 3 little boys.

So d-i-l went down to help (she and our son and their two adult children have been flitting back and forth for multiple visits from Massachusetts to Texas and home again.) Came back on Friday. And yesterday tested positive. Moderate fever, stomach issues. She's isolating at home. She's been vaxxed and boosted so we are hoping A) this is omicron and B) she will have a mild case, recovering quickly.

But I have to think that the entire aircraft of passengers on Friday were exposed. It is for just this sort of reasoning that Himself and I are not flying down to Florida next week for his sister's odometer change birthday that much the rest of the family is attending.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update to add that the Wal-Mart Superstore had No Milk. They had lactaid but no gallons, half gallons or quarts of full fat, 2%, 1% or fat free milk. I bought a bag of powdered milk. Had done this at the start of covid prepping but used it all up. By then milk was readily available so I didn't think to buy any more. Am now updating my covid preps stored down in the basement . . .

And there was no distilled water on the shelves. I stopped a worker and asked. He disappeared into the back. Eventually came out with a twin pack of 3 gallons in each box. Said that was all they had. Dubious, but what the heck. I took it all.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I order hazelnut k-pods from SF Bay Coffee, and so, of course, I get emails from them. A couple of days ago, they sent a recipe for Coffee Sugar Cookies. Hmmm, I thought. I made them today and they’re pretty good. They’re basically chocolate shortbread with a hint of coffee flavor. They were super easy, and I had all of the ingredients already. They’ll be great with our second cup of coffee in the mornings! :yummy:

Did our weekly grocery shopping this morning. In and out in about 20 minutes. Everyone was masked.

We cleaned the shower drain in the master bath this afternoon, something I’ve put on the calendar for every three months. All I can say is, “Ick.” But it’s preventative maintenance so we don’t have to call a plumber. I think I deserve a cookie, don’t you? :)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault Be careful
Tobermory Tobermory How are the cookies?

Rick gave me a birthday card and so did the girls. The cats always give us cards....with a little help from Mom and Dad. :) And Rick got up this morning to take care of the girls, even though it was my day. I lounged until 9:00, then dragged my butt out of bed. It was warm and Molli and Muffin were up tight against me. I woke up around 8:00, but the bed was warm and the girls were there and.....

I'm not doing a blasted thing today. I'll hit the WeShed this afternoon for a while. I did get D+ yesterday and, so far, it's behaving.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
How are the cookies?
I had to take a bite before I answered! :) Perfect accompaniment to the coffee. Four ingredients. Super easy. “Yum!” says my husband.
181D189C-7508-40D4-8978-F8EB8FBE33BD.jpeg
I have a Zoom meeting in a few minutes. The Nature Conservancy has been holding guided spring hikes here for years…until two years ago. I’ve volunteered to do media for the hikes for years. We’re meeting this morning to determine if this year’s hikes are a go or not. I’m sure they’ll be a no go, sadly. Impossible to physically distance on narrow trails and to hear the hike leader talk about whatever that hike’s topic is.

Making cat food this afternoon. Should be enough for about a month of evening meals for the girls. They get canned in the morning, but they do love their homemade food.

I owe a letter to one of my parents’ friends. My mom and dad are gone, but this wonderful woman just keeps chugging along. She’s 98 and other than being very hard of hearing, she!s doing remarkably well! :redheartpump:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Tobermory Tobermory Yay to good cookies!

Rick's mom called me yesterday to wish me a happy birthday. I think we talked for about an hour. She seemed cheery and we laughed more than a few times. I always liked talking to her, but it's a lot more difficult now with her essential tremor. When she's on a good day, I can understand her perfectly. But on her bad days, I have no idea what she's trying to say.

Our local bakery/restaurant/gift shop, etc is closing. They were open for almost 50 years. So THAT'S why there were no white coconut cakes. Guess I'll be making them from scratch from now on. Darn.

A couple more inches of snow early last night. Local weatherweenie was talking about the possibility of a nor'easter coming this weekend. I hope it's like the last storm....much ado about nothing.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my coffee. I've been awake since around 4:30 (thanks, Amber!). It's going to be a long day.
  • Two loads of laundry, vacuum and swiffer, all that good stuff
  • Time to clean out the computer again. I'm going to spend the afternoon checking/deleting files, going through emails, pictures, etc. It's time. Then I'll do a good scan. There's nothing wrong, at least I don't think so, but it's time. It does a whole scan every other night as it is.
I had made up the bed in the WeShed over the weekend, but didn't make it out there Saturday night. Hopefully tonight. I need some sleep. Rick sleeps through anything; I don't know how he does it.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed the ferals at the supermarket parking area (2 journeys)
Phone the kitchen company about the water connections as there is a minor difference between the plans and the actual situation
Visit the podiatrist (my feet are killing me!)
Pick up my daughter at the surgery where she works (grandson took her car this morning)
Consider feeding cats while a woman goes into hospital (meaning another 2 car trips a day - hopefully someone else, living closer will volunteer)
Oh, already 5! Better start before the list gets too long!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
*getting a huge Nor'Easter Friday night into Saturday! This means grocery stores will be even more crowded Thursday and Friday.. Going this morning for some perishables...
Hopefully, cooking during storm--if power does not go out!
* Break up of regular morning stuff.
* Workmen are coming in, this afternoon, to install new emergency pull lines and motion sensor.
*need to pay some bills
** Woke up to vomiting this morning.. yuck... right on my new quilt!

I had a weird dream.. Must have been thinking of Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 and Hekitty during/after the vomiting episode... I dreamt that I had a tortie cat. My mom was alive and we were living together, along with my dad.. We had kind of a large apartment, similar to where I used to live, but an extra room for the cat. I dreamt that I had to take my tortie cat to the Vet. They had 3 torties in there that day. When I went to pay bill and pick up cat--the three were on the counter--freely walking. I remember saying to my mom.. which one? No one knew which one was mine... I picked one up...

Took her home, she vomited, in her room.. This is when I realized that this was not MY cat!! because 1/4 of the the face was a completely patch of black! I went back to the Vet, to complain and get the correct cat.
They could not help me!! No one.. Went to 5 people in different rooms.. Ended up walking down the road to a church like building, demanding for them to use their records, find out where MY cat was... I remember saying: I am not taking home a cat who has obvious problems!

Weird dream.... and then I woke up!
So Vivid...

Not a good way to begin the day.... the dream and cleaning up cat vomit... such is life...

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick got up with the girls this morning. I slept in the WeShed last night. It was kind of creepy out there; with the bitter cold we've been having, everything is cracking and creaking. And the WeShed was no exception. I still slept well though; I'd wake up, but drop right back off. And no Amber at 4:00 this morning. It was almost like a vacation. I finally dragged my butt into the house around 8:00 this morning. Molli was beside herself. I wish she wasn't so skittish of the WeShed.

The sun is shining, but it's really cold. No wind though. Depending on which weatherweenie we want to listen to, we're either going to get hammered by the nor-easter or we're not going to get anything. I guess we'll find out when it gets here. Be safe, artiemom artiemom !

I am having serious problems with my iPad and came "this close" to ordering one last night. I was in bed, playing Wordscapes. And it said that I was down to 10% battery. But I had it plugged in the whole time. It just stopped taking a charge and I didn't realize it. Now, I've been having trouble for a while now. Without being plugged in, the battery dies in about 30 minutes or so. I'll try to charge it and it won't take a charge for hours, then suddenly it will start charging again. Last night, it wouldn't charge at all and I tried three different cords and connectors. Nothing. So this morning when Rick got up, he plugged it in. And it's at 100% again. But it didn't last. Within 45 minutes, with the iPad turned completely off, it died again. Like I said, I've been having trouble for a while now, but managed to keep it going by keeping it plugged in the whole time I was using it. But since the update to IOS 15, it's gotten ridiculous. There's a place downtown where they install new batteries into devices and they do iDevices (phones, iPads, etc.). They're closed today, so I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they can do something. The iPad is out of any kind of warranty, so I'm not sending it to Apple. If that doesn't work, I'll have to get a new iPad.

Not much to do today as I ripped through everything yesterday.
  • Scoop boxes
  • One load of towels and washcloths is in the washer and ready for the dryer
  • Finish working on cleaning up the computer this afternoon
BTW, I am up to 10,000 steps every day now. Not walking outside because of the ice. But 10,000 steps is 10,000 steps (almost 5 miles), whether it's outside or down on the treadmill. And I'll take whatever I can get.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 tasks today - and one left over from yesterday!

Thursday is my grocery shopping day with my younger daughter :)
Phone call to kitchen company asking them to please come and look at the positions of electrical power points and water inlets and outlets - before we start wallpapering and painting! :)
Dusting everywhere, again! 😒
Contacting my elder daughter directly for the first time since her husband was not exactly polite in my house at the weekend. 😟

Check if anybody has volunteered to feed cats while an elderly woman is in hospital (I definitely can't do it every day but I could share the task)

Let's start with the telephone call!

Winchester Winchester my kitchen is small compared with American standards so don't be disappointed when I send the photos :lol:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl I'm sure it will be lovely!
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, grabbed a quick shower, and am back here with my coffee
  • Change the bed sheets when Rick gets up
  • I'm going to call the guy for an appt to replace the battery in my iPad. Hoping he can get me in today, but we'll see.
  • I need a quart of whole milk to make rice pudding for Dear Richard. Skim milk/powdered milk just doesn't work for puddings that well...whole milk is better. There's a local farm that started selling their milk, yogurt, ice cream, cheese, etc. Their little store just opened and I'd like to check it out.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Overnight low was 3.0 degrees Fahrenheit. At the moment - it is 9:00 a.m. and the sun is shining in a cloudless sky - it is 8.4 degrees F. I am sitting here typing with fingerless gloves on my hands.

Today I have already filled up all three bird feeders and scattered some on top of the icy remnants of the last snow. One of today's errands is to stop at the farm and feed for more seed. We may / may not get a nor'easter this weekend with 1 to 3 or possible a foot of snow. All depends on which weather weenie you believe.

This morning we need to head out for multiple stops.

First: Himself has a PT / INR scheduled at the health center.

Second: to the bank. They have a collection barrel in the lobby for shoes, and I have three pair to donate.

Third: onward to the farm stand for produce. And perhaps apple cider donuts . . .

Fourth: Stop at the IGA (that's the small grocery store in town) for this and that, not much.

and lastly to the farm and feed for bird seed.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
We are getting blasted with a Blizzard, all day on Saturday. While they keep saying that the track is unclear, and too early to predict snowfalls; they are preparing us for a foot of sons (12 inches)..

The wind gusts will be incredible!
Hoping the power stays on. I plan to bake a one pot chicken meal, on Saturday. It will be a good day to keep the oven on... and do something besides look at the snowstorm, and listen to the weather.
If the electricity goes out, it will be so cold in here---windows are bad. I do have thermal underwear, tops and bottoms, and tons of clothes to put on.. but----

*Regular morning stuff.
*They are having a Covid test clinic today---taking advantage of that.
*change bed sheets
*have to check my battery powered radio---in case cable goes out. It usually does with high winds.
**not certain what for supper. They are supposed to have a turkey dinner... but lately, they have been substituting many main items..
*** I may have a very early dinner. If that is the case, It will be my own food... soup sounds good.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Huh. The battery in the iPad is fine; I had a lot of stuff open at the same time and it was draining the battery.....my fault and I'm an idiot. I felt "this big" but he just laughed at me. Said it happens all the time. But my face was red, I was so embarrassed. I know better! It won't charge anymore. Period. Not without a lot of hassle, jiggling the cord around, praying. The charger opening isn't working anymore. Now I can send it away to have it fixed. Cost about $200 for the repair, plus shipping, plus insurance. I managed to get it charged just enough to kill it, remove all my data, etc.

I told Dear Richard that I'd just use my old Air 2, the one I'm using as a Kindle. Or he has an extra iPad that's never been used (got it from his Union) and I said I'd use that one. He said to just buy a new one and get it over with. My new iPad Air gen 4 should be here on Saturday.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was a disaster - talked to my daughter but managed to make a worse mess - another sleepless night for both of us
Did not get the dusting done
Went shopping - not much excitement about that when I can only use a microwave oven. I've lost interest in preparing vegetables and salads in the bathroom.
Next week someone will be coming to look at the state of the kitchen
2 out of 4!
Three things for tomorrow:
Weekly laundry - unless my younger daughter needs to use the washing machines and driers
Checking for any volunteers to feed cats while owner is in hospital
Dusting and general cleaning - unless someone is working in the kitchen creating more dust!

Perhaps I'll just stay in bed with the cats!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl Family problems are no fun. I'm sorry you're going through this. :hugs:

Rick got up with the girls this morning. Muffin awakened me around 8:00. Looked out the window and it's snowing like crazy. We have a good coating, nothing major. Bleah

artiemom artiemom Take care this weekend!

Not much going on today:
  • A quick clean up/wipe down in the bathroom, nothing big
  • A quick vacuum in the living room and kitchen
  • I'm in the mood for oatmeal raisin pecan cookies. The butter is softening as I type

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Regular morning stuff
Clean out day in the refrigerator
Food committee meeting at noon
Going to buildings store for some chocolate and chips

Not sure about laundry today or sending it all out on Monday???

Got battery powered radio and lanterns out. Comcast will probably go down. Fingers crossed 🤞 about power.
It’s it does it will be freezing in here.

I have to remember where I put the plug in, ancient telephone is— just in case.

I have lived through far too many blizzards and power failures— hurricanes, etc. and had to think of my dad, when he was alive. Kind of kept that mentality.

gilmargl gilmargl (((hugs))) about family issues. I hope you can all get through this—- and soon. Life is too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.