Name Three Things - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Ice storm this morning, warning goes until 1:00 or so this afternoon. Nice and crunchy outside between the ice and snow.

I did get my kitchen cabinets cleaned up yesterday. Had everything done by around noon. I don't know how long they'll stay that way, but for now, they look pretty good. Also cleaned out silverware drawer and all three utensil drawers. I found things I've been looking for for a while now (Rick puts things where he thinks they should go, not where they actually go. Then I have to go on The Great Utensil Hunt when I need something. The other day it took me ten minutes to find my Microplane. Wasn't in the drawer it was supposed to be in. Finally found it in the silverware drawer; I've never put it in the silverware drawer! He says it belongs there. I said that when he starts doing the cooking around here, he can put things where he wants them. Until then, let my stuff alone.)
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my coffee. Mollipop wanted to join Rick in bed this morning. Can't say that I blame her. I didn't want to get out of bed.
  • First load of three is in the washer.
  • Must scoop later this morning.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
That ice storm on Sunday? Nasty. We got a good 1/4 of an inch of ice. Completely froze our front windows for over 24 hours, before it finally started to thaw. The driveway is a mess. Rick went out and salted and pounded both parts of the driveway and our front walk. He did a bit of the walk over to the WeShed, but the deck and steps are still a mess. I haven't even tried to go out there. Muffin is not getting her walk and she is not amused. Thankfully, we didn't lose power. But then, last night, it snowed. On top of the ice. And it's cold. Really cold. We were in single digits last night and didn't get out of the teens yesterday. Nor will we today. Wind is gusting. Muffin isn't the only one who's not amused.
  • Breakfast for the girls, dishwasher is filled to the gills. We have no dishwasher pods and I don't do dishes. I did do pots and pans from dinner, but that's it.
  • We have to take the Tucson in for inspection, oil change, tire rotation, etc. We're a little worried about getting down his (garage's) driveway in the ice. It's pretty steep and there are cars parked every which way.
  • Groceries today on the way back from taking the Tucson into the garage. And then Rick has to try to get the truck back up the driveway. If he can't, we'll be schlepping bags of groceries up the front yard.
There's going to be a lot of muttering going on today.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Anybody else in the path of this coming Sunday night's storm? Last Rick checked, we were in the 6 to 10-inch range according to Accuweather, but we'll see closer to Sunday what's going on. We're finally supposed to get above freezing today...the temps are making it hard for things to thaw out. Going out to the WeShed is a bit of a hassle.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my coffee.
  • We have to pick up the Tucson at the garage this morning. It was fine for inspection.
  • Water the WeShed plants.
We are (still) discussing cutting the cable cord. I did some research and put it all into a spreadsheet for Dear Richard to look at. According to my calculations, we can save about $50 monthly by killing our cable and increasing our internet data/speed. I also need to make sure Rick has the sports channels that he needs to survive. He's really leery of cutting the cord; I'd like to try it and see what happens. Now would be a good time as it's close to the end of football season.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, we will probably get some snow.. Not sure how much, since we are on the coat.. directly on the coast.
The inner regions of the state are going to get hit hard.. They are not posting any amounts yet...

The last storm, we got 11.7 inches of snow. A lot of it is gone. The roads and most of the sidewalks are clear... at least the ones which has been cleared..

We are getting bitter, Bitter cold weather, Friday, Friday night and all day Saturday.. the coldest in several years... around 0 degrees. I expect lots of broken pipes... I think I may fill up some pots with water during the day, on Friday.... just in case...

Again, I am not sleeping well... The dam truck backs up after 5:30 every morning, waking me up!! Whether I have my windows open or closed.. The kitchen entrance is under my apartment. They are using the truck to distribute the meals on wheels foods, for distribution.. dam.. They just started this program, for more revenue...

I am just waiting for Omicron to be over, and will take this up with them... one issue at a time..
~~~
Hitting the grocery store, soon... I am going to leave most of the morning stuff for later...
Just making bed and showering...
It will be mobbed!!
I was hoping I would get there earlier, than I am---but... life gets in the way...
~~~
Getting Covid Testing this afternoon! Rapid tests offered to everyone in the building. We got a phone call that 3 more residents are positive. That makes 28 people in 3 weeks!!! staff and residents... During quarantine, we had the exact same amount of infected people.

This time, Omicron seems milder. No one is hospitalized.. No one has passed from it...

Made mandate in place. They are requesting we use KN 95 masks... gave one to each tenant, and are selling them in the store.

I feel as if I am the "mask" person in here. I ordered a lot for myself... and then a ton for a friend who is sharing them.. The extra orders of mine, are because I kept seeing they were out of stock, so I ordered more... and then ALL of them came in!! Yikes...

Gotta go....

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I am going to the place that made my orthotics to see what can be done about the one in my right shoe. The left is fine, the right one is too painful to wear. They are close to an hour away.

Will stop at Shoprite on the way home.

Also the library to return a DVD and look for others.

Before I go I need to finish unloading dishwasher, hope clothes washer is done so I can empty into dryer, scoop litter pan and get out of here.

Bye for now.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom Our county has a very high amount of positive people for a smaller county. But hardly anybody wears masks anymore. We are not even at 50% vaccinated, but that's because we are predominantly GOP around here. We have a large number of positives and our hospital is at the breaking point. It's a shame. When we picked up the car yesterday at the garage, the guy said, "You don't have to wear a mask around me!" Well, yeah, we do. Rick hadn't been wearing a mask while bowling, but he started to again. We have to get more N95s. We wear them twice, depending on how long we wear them, but I always put them through the PhoneSoap after each use. I don't even know if it helps.

We finally got all the ice cleared off walks, deck, and such yesterday. Rick just started pounding at it. It was warm enough yesterday that, once it got started, it melted. He swept the water off the deck, so that it wouldn't re-freeze so badly. Thankfully, the driveway is now cleared and we can walk around better....until Sunday, that is. Our neighbor came by yesterday with mail for me that was in his mailbox. He and Rick talked for a while and then, when he left, he said, "Well, I'll see you on Monday!" He plows our driveway.

My brother and SIL came in yesterday to drop my flour off for me. I was down to one 5-lb bag of KA flour. This has been on order now for a good three weeks. And the price shot up. I was paying $20 for a 50-lb bag of flour. This last bag cost me $31. Still cheaper than the store. And buying it in a large bag like this, I can break it down into gallon freezer bags (5 pounds fits one gallon bag) and tuck the bags into the freezer. I had just broke open my last bag, so it was fortuitous that it got here when it did. I am grateful to my brother and SIL for being able to get it where they live. And being willing to help me.
  • Rick took care of the girls this morning, so I slept in until 8:00. Drinking my coffee now. Rick said the internet was down earlier this morning, but things are fine.
  • Change bed sheets and do two loads of laundry.
  • Our shoes came yesterday, so I'll put them on and walk around the house a bit this afternoon to get used to them. I'm doing 10,000 steps a day this week. No knee problems, nothing. I am grateful.

Last edited:

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
write some letters
check mail later
sort through all my late letters and get them ready to be mailed out ( i was without stamps for nearly two whole weeks or more)

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That ice storm on Sunday? Nasty. We got a good 1/4 of an inch of ice. Completely froze our front windows for over 24 hours, before it finally started to thaw. The driveway is a mess. Rick went out and salted and pounded both parts of the driveway and our front walk. He did a bit of the walk over to the WeShed, but the deck and steps are still a mess. I haven't even tried to go out there. Muffin is not getting her walk and she is not amused. Thankfully, we didn't lose power. But then, last night, it snowed. On top of the ice. And it's cold. Really cold. We were in single digits last night and didn't get out of the teens yesterday. Nor will we today. Wind is gusting. Muffin isn't the only one who's not amused.
  • Breakfast for the girls, dishwasher is filled to the gills. We have no dishwasher pods and I don't do dishes. I did do pots and pans from dinner, but that's it.
  • We have to take the Tucson in for inspection, oil change, tire rotation, etc. We're a little worried about getting down his (garage's) driveway in the ice. It's pretty steep and there are cars parked every which way.
  • Groceries today on the way back from taking the Tucson into the garage. And then Rick has to try to get the truck back up the driveway. If he can't, we'll be schlepping bags of groceries up the front yard.
There's going to be a lot of muttering going on today.
Winchester, Thanks for your interesting story. It was a enjoyable read.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
According to our local weather weenie last night, this is going to be an ice storm more than anything. Oh, we're going to get snow tomorrow. But by tomorrow night, it will be most ice and freezing rain. He said that if we're looking for a storm with a measurable amount of snow, "This ain't it". Rick is dejected; he wanted snow measured in feet. The man is crazy. Although I don't like dealing with ice. Too easy to lose power. It's cold. Really cold. Again. Never been a winter person. Never will be.
  • Breakfast for the girls, made our coffee, and I'm sitting back here.
  • I have an appt with the Ford garage about the Tucson. The Check Engine Light is on and the car won't start without a charge. Yet the battery tests fine and, once it's charged, it runs well. I'm thinking it's the starter, but really, I have no clue. The appt is actually for Tuesday morning, but we don't know if we'll get out of the driveway (or back up, once we're down, esp driving Clarence), so we're taking it down today and it can sit there all weekend. The Tucson is ten years old and we've been kicking around the idea of a new car, but hate the thought of car payments.
  • Spending the rest of the day in the WeShed with my nose in a book. Or three. I love using my second iPad as a Kindle!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Freezing, and I mean freezing cold out there! 3 degrees when I woke up, wind chill is -15 !!
Yikes!

Today is:
*regular morning stuff
* dump out and wash the litter box~~ Geoffrey will be happy!
*decide what for supper. I have a container of TJ's chicken soup, or I can take something out of the freezer---my own chicken soup, or a tiny container of spaghetti sauce with sausages, or plain cooked chicken. It is a good day for something warm.

Yesterday, I did 4 loads of laundry.. took me almost all day.. I should have just lined up 4 washers at the same time. I washed the new quilt, so that will go on tomorrow when I change the sheets.

Sitting here, drinking tea...

The cold weather will last all day, into tomorrow. The dangerously cold weather warning will expire later this afternoon. We are expecting the same storm, as Winchester Winchester , but are getting a tiny bit of snow, changing over to rain. Mostly a rain storm with ferocious winds. The inner area of Massachusetts and New England are getting hit with the snow.

So glad I had a new battery installed in my car. It is an old car, 14 years old... I have been thinking of buying a new one, for over a year now... I need new struts~~rusting.... expensive repair... but, with the prices of cars and everything else going through the roof, it may just be better to get the car worked on... and wait a bit longer. I do not have much mileage on it; only 65,000.. It is more aging and rust, with the car.

I will need an oil change, in about a month.. so I can decide then... Perhaps one strut at a time? Have to ask mechanic... They are a reputable shop..

Geoffrey woke me up this morning.. actually, I was slightly awake, but he walked all over me, sliding up to my left ear, MEOW!! Get UP... I want to play!!
Sure enough, I tried ignoring him~~ no way...

When I did get up, I was not fast enough for him! He kept yelling at me, to get his Da Bee wand!!
Demanding Boy! Yelling, Hurry up!! You are not moving fast enough! I want to play!! Come here NOW!! NOW!! PlayTime!!

He would not even give me enough time to take out his food (from refrigerator), get my water on, for tea, and take my morning meds!! Jeesh! What a kid!!

Going to be another semi-busy day, with lots of cuddles.. I ahve been neglecting Geoffrey a bit..
He knows it...

I am just tired..

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Freezing, and I mean freezing cold out there! 3 degrees when I woke up, wind chill is -15 !!
Yikes!

Today is:
*regular morning stuff
* dump out and wash the litter box~~ Geoffrey will be happy!
*decide what for supper. I have a container of TJ's chicken soup, or I can take something out of the freezer---my own chicken soup, or a tiny container of spaghetti sauce with sausages, or plain cooked chicken. It is a good day for something warm.

Yesterday, I did 4 loads of laundry.. took me almost all day.. I should have just lined up 4 washers at the same time. I washed the new quilt, so that will go on tomorrow when I change the sheets.

Sitting here, drinking tea...

The cold weather will last all day, into tomorrow. The dangerously cold weather warning will expire later this afternoon. We are expecting the same storm, as Winchester Winchester , but are getting a tiny bit of snow, changing over to rain. Mostly a rain storm with ferocious winds. The inner area of Massachusetts and New England are getting hit with the snow.

So glad I had a new battery installed in my car. It is an old car, 14 years old... I have been thinking of buying a new one, for over a year now... I need new struts~~rusting.... expensive repair... but, with the prices of cars and everything else going through the roof, it may just be better to get the car worked on... and wait a bit longer. I do not have much mileage on it; only 65,000.. It is more aging and rust, with the car.

I will need an oil change, in about a month.. so I can decide then... Perhaps one strut at a time? Have to ask mechanic... They are a reputable shop..

Geoffrey woke me up this morning.. actually, I was slightly awake, but he walked all over me, sliding up to my left ear, MEOW!! Get UP... I want to play!!
Sure enough, I tried ignoring him~~ no way...

When I did get up, I was not fast enough for him! He kept yelling at me, to get his Da Bee wand!!
Demanding Boy! Yelling, Hurry up!! You are not moving fast enough! I want to play!! Come here NOW!! NOW!! PlayTime!!

He would not even give me enough time to take out his food (from refrigerator), get my water on, for tea, and take my morning meds!! Jeesh! What a kid!!

Going to be another semi-busy day, with lots of cuddles.. I ahve been neglecting Geoffrey a bit..
He knows it...

I am just tired..
Now the feeling about Cold. As I writing this it's just 7 degrees F. Fortunately no wind. I got up earlier than usual to clear last night's 4 inches of snow from the car, so the snowplow guy can clean the driveway and sidewalk. Before I was able to exit the house my boys were meowing for their food.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We are now at a balmy 10F. Sunny. It's beautiful outside. I think, depending on who one wants to believe, we're now down to 2-4 inches. But it's switching over to rain tonight with sleet and freezing rain mixing in. I guess we'll find out when it gets here.

Got the car down to the Ford garage yesterday; it started up with no trouble. Thankfully. I told the woman why I was bringing the car down early. She said that was fine, that people had brought their cars in yesterday for even Wednesday appts.

I was going to make sticky buns today, but I think I'll wait until tomorrow morning when it's all rainy, sleety and blah.

So today is a day for not much. Other than scooping boxes and making dinner, I'm going to read. Good day for it. Rick said there are 3 football games on today. I'm hitting the WeShed.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We basically had a rain/ice event with a little snow overnight. Nothing to get excited about. The worst part is the wind. That's just nasty.
  • My turn to get up with the girls, gave them breakfast, emptied the dishwasher, made coffee, grabbed a shower, and am getting ready for my walk
  • Sticky bun dough is rising; English muffin dough is rising. Both in the oven on the Proof cycle with a bowl of hot water to help them along.
  • A load of kitty linens for the washer this morning
  • A good vacuum, swiffer, etc. about the house

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
The wind is brutal out there. The rain is pelting the windows. When I opened my bedroom blinds, it seemed as if the window was going to fall in.. so strong. I think Geoffrey woke me up because the wind was so bad. He wanted me up, to comfort him.
It should calm down a bit, around noontime.

*Regular morning stuff
*Give Geoffrey laxatone.
*possibly dust furniture
* Call maintence to replace kitchen faucet. Yesterday, it was acting weird. I had to call the emergency number a couple of times.. The flow was really low---as in a broken water pipe,... And the water was coming out of the bottom of the base of the faucet.. Cheap faucet. The control handle was also loose.

When I looked underneath the sink, the feeder line, especially to the cold water, was dripping wet.
I had to clean out the bottom of the sink, put a paint bucket under it.. and call again...

This morning the drip is not there, the faucet is running normally... Wonder if there was a frozen pipe, which thawed overnight, while the temperatures rose? I still want a new faucet, due to the looseness of the regulator.

It is MLK day---a semi-holiday.. I think I have call the emergency number. The guy who was on yesterday is expecting me to cal. He said he would replan it this morning..

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stripped our bed, washed sheets and tossed in dryer. Now need to remake bed.

Baked chocolate chip cookies this morning, having prepared and shaped dough yesterday evening.

Made a pot of beef barley soup.

Listening to the noises emerging from the basement where Himself and tech from propane company are having a guy's good time messing with the non-working heating system. I know that the expansion tank is leaking and is being replaced, even as I type. Believe they have to purge all four zones too.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault How did you make out with your orthotics? Can they fix it?
artiemom artiemom What happened with your kitchen faucet? Is it replaced?

Headache this morning. Not bad, at least, not yet. It's been awhile. I haven't missed it.
We're down to about a dozen Christmas cookies left in the freezer. I'm done with them. Rick is not and is already lamenting the fact that they'll be gone soon.

Dear Richard is enjoying his sticky buns. The English muffins are in the freezer (except for the one that I scarfed down). There was a method to my madness for English muffins--egg rings. Yes, egg rings. I ordered four and they're supposed to be here tomorrow. I can put them on the NFG griddle and make round eggs for McMuffins. Pathetic, isn't it. But I guess it's the little things. I was telling a GF about them and she actually wants to come for breakfast when I make McMuffins. :) She'll bring the tater tots for the NFG. I think she's serious.
  • Garage appt this morning for the Tucson. They'll call to tell me what's going on and then again when it's done. When we pick up the Tucson, we'll drop the truck off for inspection. Once the truck is done, then we'll do Clarence. January is always inspection month for the vehicles; they're all due at the same time. Sometimes, it's not too bad; other times, it's a big hassle.
  • I made a small bowl of potato salad to go with our burgers tonight. When Rick makes burgers, he uses 1-1/2 pounds of beef and makes six. We usually have four burgers one night and then a few nights later, we'll have the other two. Tonight's the night. I'm hungry for a bit of potato salad.
  • Not much else. I'm reading a series of cozy mysteries and will finish them tonight.
ETA: Just heard from the garage. There are a couple things wrong with the car. And it's going to cost a small fortune to get it repaired. They have to order a part and think it won't get it until later on this week. We're just going to let the car down there. And meanwhile, it's time to start looking at another car. We didn't want to do it, but I don't want to give up an arm and leg every time something goes wrong either. The car is ten years old, so who knows what could happen.

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester The orthotics place made a circular cut in the hard plastic outer shell where there was pressure on the 5th metatarsal. It's better but not best. I'll need to go back again. Except there are things scheduled for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Meanwhile the Dr Scholl inserts are helping.

Someone coming today to collect the never used hooded cat litter pan that I discovered while rooting around in the basement. Someone is coming tomorrow to collect the long handled fabric loop floor dust mop. Bit by bit I am excavating, and discovering many interesting, long forgotten things.

One load of laundry washed, dried, waiting to be folded.

About 3/4 inch of snow this morning. Himself plowed down the driveway, then back up with the ATV.

Swept the front walk. There was some ice on the upper driveway. Went to load snow melter in the jug for scattering but there was liquid in jug. Assume it is the remnants of last year's snow melter that deliquesced so dribbled it onto the ice. Rinsed out jug, let it air dry, then ready for next snow / ice arrival.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Weird stuff with faucet.
Yesterday morning, it was fine! Of course the weather was warmer, above freezing. If it was a frozen pipe, the guy could not figure out where it came from !!!

It is the cheapest faucet around. He was too busy— being the only one here on MLK Day.

It was running ok, so he left it. People were complaining about no heat!!
Of course they like it on the high 70’s inside!!!

I have a sprayer attached to the faucet. It but the dust— water coming out of all spots today. I tried to tighten it, no go.
So, I put a work order in for that and the looseness of the handle.

Came up, just tightened the handle, but took apart the sprayer. Said it was gone!! I have another in here, but the current one was on so tight, I could not loosen it.

Guy, went down to work shop, got another washer to fit better; and installed it for me.

Do far it is working ok.
The handle is another thing— it is tightened so much, that it is harder to regulate it — hot and cold

Just waiting a bit. We’ll see if it freezes up again— and then, probably about the same time the handle loosens up again.
This is when I will demand another faucet.

Almost makes me want to buy my own and have one guy install it. But, good faucets are pricey.

Decisions, decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.