Name Three Things - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slept badly as my partner is refusing to have an operation, and refusing all psychiatric investigations. But he wants to come "home" and his family want to see him happy. BUT........ he is getting weaker every day because he won't get out of bed - except to go to the bathroom with nurses to help. I made a sort of compromise by saying there is no way he can come back to me without having an assessment of his level of care needed and a legal guardian to take care of his financial and other matters.

Three things accomplished today:
  1. I worked 6 hours at the surgery and cleared up the backlog of hospital reports and lab results (Among all the paperwork, there was only one death and 4 positive Corona tests)
  2. Admired my new kitchen which still requires sockets to be connected up, and the new doors and radiator will be fitted in summer. So, I read the instructions for the fridge, cooker, hob, etc. and cleaning do's and don'ts (mostly don'ts!)
    Found out that my bottles of cleaning materials are all too tall to fit in the kitchen drawers - when I mentioned this at work, it seems to be a general problem with these new kitchens with lovely big drawers but no floor-level cupboards. I was advised to buy new containers, label them accordingly and fill them with the appropriate liquids. I could not do too much in the kitchen as the silicone seals have to dry properly.
  3. Wanted to wash down the inside of the fridge and went to get a bowl of water.
    I came back to this:
IMG_1112.jpg

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Himself fell and fractured his L1 vertebra he was in hospital for four days / three nights, then to rehab center for just over a week. When he came home there were daily visits, here at home, by an occupational therapist, a physical therapist, and a licensed practical nurse. It was busy, to say the least! But he was motivated and the people working with him were very good.

gilmargl gilmargl I'm probably way out of line here, but - it is a good thing you are studying / training for hospice care. Because if your partner comes back to your home that is what you will be doing. And without the end-of-shift going home to peace and quiet.

For something completely different - I'm glad to see your new refrigerator is being put to such good use before you even put any food in it! Something I did for mine is use some small plastic boxes to hold different categories of items in an attempt to prevent that "lost at the back of the shelves" syndrome.

LG Refrigerator_2022-01_boxes on shelf.jpg LG Refrigerator_2022-01_refrigerator compartment.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl I love that your cat is putting your refrigerator to such good use! :hearthrob: And I like your cabinets. Love your countertop. Very nice!

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL DRIVERS IN THE SOUTHERN PA, USA AREA: Our grandson just got his driver's permit. Oh boy!

That wind was bad last night. It roared through our area. We fully expected to wake up to downed trees. Thankfully, everything seems to be OK. Wind is still roaring through. I think the wind advisory will be lifted this afternoon. It was nasty.
  • Changed the bedsheets this morning.
  • Quick vacuum about the living room and kitchen, wipe bathroom.
  • Must pick up Evelyn's Kindle today. Not going in to see her because there are Covid cases in the facility. Again. She's really upset that we're not coming in, but we're not.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl Looks great... so glad you kitty approves of your new refrigerator!!

Winchester Winchester I will make a note of that, when I drive through Pennsylvania!!
My cousin's grandson is having driving lessons next week... YIKES!!
So be careful in Massachusetts!!

He was supposed to come over on Sunday to help me go over some things on my new laptop and to help a couple friends out in here with their computers..

He texted me from school, around 10 am, to tell me that Driving Class was changed from Monday to beginning on Sunday...
We rescheduled for Saturday....YIKES!!

I ran around like a chicken without it's head trying to pick up a bit.. Good thing I did a good dusting earlier this week.. Just went over kitchen chairs, the table--moved its position a bit... that is what happens when you have a tiny apartment..
Did the bathroom~ good think floor and BR were scrubbed by cleaner last Saturday-- just did a once over..

All done, showered, did morning stuff, before noontime when the Food Committee was meeting..

Need to dump trash.. and a bit more of a pick up...

Very cold an windy today..

I was gong to get some fruit salad at the store, because R decide to 'lose' weight and is eating 'healthy'--- a girl must be involved!!

Not sure if I will.. I have grapes, apples, oranges, blueberries, cheese and cracker, water, Flavored sparkling water, regal coke, and picked up some chocolate chip cookies. I also have pretzels, chips, popcorn... .. I think I have enough. I went to the store yesterday, so the fruit I have is for myself. They can take the rest home.. or I will give it away.. I have to diet...

What do you guys think?

R will get paid for his work, and I will take him out for supper...

My cousin's wife is coming along also.. We have not seen each other since Christmas. She is taking her crocheting, and will hang in my apartment, or accompany me as I take R around...

I am so excited! I never get company!!

Geoffrey is all confused about the changes....

So you can say, I did more than 3 things, and more to go.....

Tomorrow morning will just be pick up...

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Himself fell and fractured his L1 vertebra he was in hospital for four days / three nights, then to rehab center for just over a week. When he came home there were daily visits, here at home, by an occupational therapist, a physical therapist, and a licensed practical nurse. It was busy, to say the least! But he was motivated and the people working with him were very good.

gilmargl gilmargl I'm probably way out of line here, but - it is a good thing you are studying / training for hospice care. Because if your partner comes back to your home that is what you will be doing. And without the end-of-shift going home to peace and quiet.
Two issues here:
  1. I don't think he'll be coming back even if he wants to. We are not married and he only recently refused to give me (or anybody else) power of attorney. I no longer feel able to cope with his negative attitude and have told the social worker at the hospital accordingly.
  2. My work with the hospice movement will be voluntary.
    A short explanation: The professional teams taking care of the those wishing to die in their own home consist of doctors, trained in palliative medlcine, nurses, sociologists, psychiatrists and priests. Voluntary staff are needed simply to listen, and comfort the dying, their families and carers and identify any remaining conflicts and needs. Evidently, talking to a complete stranger is often easier than confronting other members of family with things which have been avoided for years. To reach a state of "let's forgive and forget" or a reconciliation brings peace to the dying and makes it possible for the survivors to live without feeling guilty or wounded.
For something completely different - I'm glad to see your new refrigerator is being put to such good use before you even put any food in it! Something I did for mine is use some small plastic boxes to hold different categories of items in an attempt to prevent that "lost at the back of the shelves" syndrome.

View attachment 411210 View attachment 411211
Living alone in the future, I am sure my fridge will be uncluttered. I am very frugal. :)
gilmargl gilmargl I love that your cat is putting your refrigerator to such good use! :hearthrob: And I like your cabinets. Love your countertop. Very nice!
gilmargl gilmargl Looks great... so glad you kitty approves of your new refrigerator!!
I think Woolly Bear is under the impression she has been given a present - a new hideout? As the men were installing the fixtures she wanted to get under the dishwasher. When that was blocked she decided the new fridge was her present. Today, I was using the dishwasher continuously to give the cutlery and crockery a good wash, while ridding the insides of the living room cupboards of cat hairs. I was starting to refill the shelves, only to find that, once again, Madam thought she'd finally found her present.
Woolly Bear.jpg

Three things today:
  1. Cleaned and used the new cooker for the first time - nothing exciting - just heated a frozen dinner I'd prepared months ago! The dials are not too easy to read but I think I'll manage to find the few settings I'll be using. I won't be doing any programmed cooking.
  2. Used the dishwasher for the first time - again far more different digital settings than I'm accustomed to. I may be 77, but I'll manage!
  3. Cleaned one living room cupboard and contents.
Tomorrow, I'll start washing glasses, vacuum living room and bedroom, continue filling up all the spaces in my new kitchen, and study the induction hob. I wonder if I'll succeed in making a meal from scratch. 🍽

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two things I accomplished - with my daughter's help:
  1. Vacuumed and tidied the living room, which had been used during the week to store the kitchen cabinets prior to installation
  2. Washed all the glasses in the house and cleaned the cupboards and shelves before putting everything back again.
    (I don't hold parties so why have a got such a large collection of champagne, whisky, sherry, brandy, beer, white wine, red wine and mulled wine glasses, all collecting dust and cat hairs?)
Three things I did - on my own:
  1. Changed the sheets on the bed
  2. 3 loads of washing. I hung large articles on the line outside. It was so windy that they soon dried.
  3. Continued putting things in the kitchen. Discovered that half of my pots and pans will work on an induction hob. Made my first dinner on the hob (gnocchi with tomatoes, spinach and cheese), then toasted under the grill in the new oven (which doesn't heat up nearly as quickly as my last one - I'll have to get used to that)!
Tomorrow I'll probably do the ironing but may just have a very lazy day! ☺

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl Wooly Bear is simply gorgeous. Love the look on her face. Geez, she's pretty.
After we did our kitchen over, we "lost" Mollipop one afternoon. We couldn't find her anywhere. I kept calling her (usually whatever cat I'm calling will come to me). No Molli. I was beside myself; I knew she didn't get out of the house, but I couldn't find her. And then I heard her meowing. We put lazy Susans in our bottom corner cabinets. Their dry kibble is in one of the lazy Susans. I opened the door and there she was. She stepped out from behind the kibble jar like she didn't have a care in the world. Scared the heck out of me. And I still check the lazy Susan to this day.
artiemom artiemom How did it go yesterday? Everybody have a great time? How's your laptop working? Everything OK?

Did you hear the screaming from central PA yesterday? The girls got their claws trimmed and everybody had their ears cleaned. Claw trimming never goes well. Ear cleaning isn't that much fun either. But they all like the treats after they're finished. Takes us about 45 minutes to clip claws and clean ears. Amber and Muffin are declawed. The other girls are not. Most of that time is spent fighting Mollipop to get at those claws, amidst all the squirming and screaming. And they were sharp. We didn't get them at the beginning of February; we usually clip the first weekend of the month. It takes both of us.
  • Put new books on the Kindle, then Rick will take it up to his mom this afternoon
  • Must scoop boxes
  • I'm planning on some serious housecleaning/laundry tomorrow, so must prep for that today. It just means that everything will be put away, so I don't have to sort things out while I'm cleaning. Rick will not be happy, but I've put it off long enough. Maybe I can kick him out to the WeShed tomorrow morning, so I can actually get some work done. I'll put the laundry in piles in the bathroom tonight before I go to bed.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Thanks for asking.. It went great! It really did. Both my friend loved R his grammy, and vice versa! We had a great time.

R did help with my computer did a lot of work on Ernies..
We went out for pizza afterwards..

Grammy stayed in my apartment for bit.. then I came down and got her, took some snacks upstairs and we had a mini-party.

We did so much walking in here. My elevator is broken; so we had to walk down to a different elevator. There are 3 in the building.

I just love R... and he got paid very well... He was not expecting to get paid. He was doing it just to help us! Sweet kid..
His parents were upset that he was paid. Said next time it is. Free... not with my friends, or me... He know I was taking him out for late lunch; but nothing more.

Ernie does have a question for him. I have one also... but it will wait. February Vacation~~ he is taking the written part of the driving classes this week... I will text him later this week... give him some time with his friends..

Funny, he bought the same old laptop, that I had, off of Ebay for $60... put some parts in and it is working just fine for him...
I gave him my old one. He took it apart, last night, texted me that he found a TON of cat fur in it!! OMG!! both Artie and Geoffrey...
embarrassed.. He is going to buy some parts for it, fix it up, and give it to his mom for Mothers Day.. She is liking his old Apple Laptop!! so funny....

Both R and Grammy said that my apartment is so peaceful, cozy, quiet, with a good view of the beach... not as good as my friends, because they are higher up.. but still, it is ok for me...

Today is a lazy, easy day for me. I am not doing anything at all..

Of course, Geoffrey hid under the bedspread the entire afternoon.. Did not come out for 2 hours after they left!! such a scaredy cat!!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Three things done today:
  1. I ordered a repacement scratching post for one of my cat trees. It's not quite what I need but I hope someone (SIL or grandson?) will be able to remove the extra long screw fitting from one end of the old post so that I can fit it all together.
  2. Continued putting things back in the kitchen. The bookshelves in the make-do kitchen are almost empty but there are still a lot of boxes in the cellar.
  3. Cleaned the two cat fountains (in the dishwasher) and changed the filters. It's lovely having a dishwasher again!
Tomorrow I will be working - but only for a few hours as I am really on top of my work at the moment - unless, of course, there are new patients with piles of medical reports from the past 10 years or more to deal with :) !

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Tired this morning as I didn't sleep well last night. And I have a bit of a headache, nothing bad, but it's there.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am back here with my coffee.
  • While Dear Richard is in bed, I'm going out to the kitchen to give the counters a good cleaning. Hit the inside of the fridge....still not used to the lack of space in the fridge. Wipe down everything in the kitchen, and finish by cleaning the floor underneath of the bottom cabinets. After I have that done, I'll do a good dusting in the kitchen. Move everything (table and chairs, kitchen litter box, stand, etc.) to the living room and vacuum the kitchen. Rick promised me he would steam-clean the kitchen and bathroom floors today.
  • Move into the bathroom and give everything a good cleaning. Put the bathroom rugs outside on the deck railing to air out a bit while Rick does the bathroom floor. Must clean the windows, too; the cats have schnuffled them up in the living room. Rick should be out of bed and ready to move by then. Then, when that's all done, I'll start in the living room and work my way back the hallway. If I have time today, I'll work in the bedroom and the computer room; if not, tomorrow is another day. I decided to let the laundry go until tomorrow. I guess that's technically three things, although it could all fall under house cleaning.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laundry, more laundry, a third load of laundry.

To Wal-Mart - no kitty litter, no distilled water.

To Shoprite - kitty litter!, bread, produce, etc

Dinner is in toaster oven, baking before I turn it to broil so mashed potato topping on chicken pot pies (chicken, diced potato, carrot, little onions, green peas) will brown just a tad.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went into town:
  1. Corona test - negative
  2. Got a new lightbulb fitted on my car (surprisingly cheap and quick)
  3. Bought card and gift voucher and now........
I have to go to a 90th Birthday Lunch Party with 90 guests!

I haven't been anywhere like this for ages - difficulty finding something to wear. Comfortable but smart shoes? I would definitely prefer to stay at home with the cats!
I hope it doesn*t last all day! More this evening. :help:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Busy this morning:
* mixed morning stuff
*out early many errands
*** get parking stickers
*****have eyeglasses adjusted
*****bank
*******home,
***** get to Church. noon time mass for one of the residents who passed away.. memorial Mass. See if anyone needs a ride to Mass.

Home, to finish up.. and collapse...

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I got everything done that I really wanted to do yesterday. Finishing up the computer room can wait until tomorrow. By last night, I could barely walk and needed a hot shower and bed. This morning, I'm Ok, although my back hurts a bit. I have four herniated disks in my lower back and when I do too much, they remind me they're there. For the most part, I can tell them to "stick it" but sometimes they talk back. Last night they talked back.
  • Finish up in the bathroom. I want to clean combs and brushes, wipe down the glass shower doors. The bathroom will be done.
  • Three loads of laundry
  • Dear Richard found a butter cake (ooey cake?) in Yankee magazine that's been calling to him. It has a cream cheese topping that, I think, is baked on, so he already knows he'll be eating the thing by himself. I think he's OK with that. I'm trying it this afternoon.
  • Looking through some seed catalogs and dreaming of the spectacular (???) garden we'll have this summer. Seriously, we need to start on some seeds.
  • I'm doing a Penzey order this morning at some point.

cayz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Work (sigh, every M-F)
Got a $8.50 Custom burger at Jake's Wayback for $2.22. I had to wait until 2:22PM to order it, but it was worth it.
Spent more time on a certain new-to-me website's forum.( :hellocomputer:)

I will be paying attention to the Cayz Clowder in a few moments.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
An absolutely miserable night last night. Tossed and turned the night away. My mind was full of morbid thoughts. It wasn't pretty and it sucks to be thinking these things. Finally fell asleep around 4:00, then Amber started in at 4:30. Got up at 5:30. Even the bags under my eyes have bags.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and sitting back here with my coffee. I should just go back to bed.
  • Need to call the garage for inspection for Clarence.
  • Need to call for a hair appt to get about three inches taken off. That will take care of a lot of the remaining red; there's still a streak that goes about halfway up my head. How that stayed there I've no idea. Most of me is now shades of white, grey, and silver. It's now been two years since my last hair color. Rick loves my hair; me? Not so much.
  • Talk to Dear Richard about going to Target for pneumonia shots. If we go, I need new hair clips (the teeth in my last clip bit the dust) and nail clippers. My nails are ridiculously long again and I refuse to trim them with scissors. I keep wanting to polish them, but I never seem to get around to it.
Didn't make my margarita yesterday for National Margarita Day. Didn't feel like it. I did have a Smirnoff Ice though. Maybe I should have poured it into a margarita glass, but that was too much work.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday's 90th birthday party was long and loud! Hopefully all the guests were Corona-free as there was a seven-week old baby girl as well as many older people present. The largest group was probably the granddchildren and their partners. Unfortunately, because of the noise, I missed a phone call from the hospital and spent the afternoon running outside trying to contact the social worker who'd called me. I was very worried as I'd been told the hospital had been in touch with the surgery to get hold of earlier laboratory results.

This morning: phoned the hospital social worker which led to numerous phone calls and messages. I evidently have no rights (as I am not married to my partner and have no power of attorney) but the hospital expects me to take care of him when he leaves without giving me any idea of his diagnosis and further plans for his treatment. He himself has been informed but says he doesn't understand. I refused to take him under such conditions so they were planning to send him in an ambulance to his flat, which he hasn't seen for 10 years, in another town and dump him there (without a key or money). Hence the panic on my part and some rather tearful conversations with the hospital, my partner, a good hospice worker, a care home and my doctor, the one who got him into the hospital in the first place! I still do not know what the hospital is going to do. But my doctor found out that he will need to go back to the hospital in 3 or 4 weeks for another operation and she is going to make a further attempt to get a guardian for him, who will at least be able to apply for the level of care he's entitled to. What a mess - and all because he is not willing to admit that he needs help.
The message which came over loud and clear was: you have no rights so no responsibilities - let him get himself out of this mess! Easier said than done, but I'll do my best!

I couldn't sleep last night so feel exhausted and drained. But, 3 small tasks accomplished:
  1. My Wednesday job: feeding the ferals. We are still putting heating pads in the houses at night but it's been a lovely day today so maybe they are superfluous. I saw both cats this morning who seemed quite happy in spite of all the upheaval at the supermarket on one side of the overgrown plot of land and a building site on the other. This evening only one cat was waiting for me.
  2. Mended a cat tree as the replacement post arrived at lunchtime.
  3. Put some small net curtains up in the kitchen to make it look more homely. I'll try to take some photos before it gets too cluttered.
Hope both Winchester Winchester and I will be able to sleep tonight! :sleepycat::sleep2:😴

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been struggling lately with my mental health so I woke up at 2pm today (I took the day off work). Once I eventually got up, I didn't do much until I took my dog to his first obedience class. Afterwards, I came home, and since it's trash day tomorrow, I collected all of my trash, cleaned the cat boxes, swept the upstairs, and then vacuumed my bedroom. I put together a desk/dresser combo yesterday (that took 4 hours), so I also moved a desk chair from the basement to my bedroom to encourage me to use a desk rather than sitting on a couch all day for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.