Name Three Things - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're getting an intense visit from Winter Storm Landon so I 've scooped and taken some rubbish to receptacle.

Nicole shopped for me yesterday so I have enough.food. Lots of Haagen-Dazs and fruit. Marie Callender frozen meals.
peanut butter, restaurant sized potatoes,yum.

Made an online delivery order from Walmart to be delivered on Sunday. Ordered stuff from Amazon that is cheaper than Walmart

Winchester Winchester How was the cake, Pam?
Let's see the day is young. Pickup the mail from the curb mailbox. I skipped it yesterday do to the freezing weather. Sift the Cat Litter. And lastly take out the trash for the Friday morning pickup.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You be careful in this mess Mia6 Mia6 ! It's not going to be pretty. We have the rain today, but it's to change over to freezing rain tonight....and Rick has to bowl tonight. I keep hoping they cancel bowling. Tomorrow will be the snow. But they're saying that, for us, a trace to 2 inches. We right on the borderline, though, and we're on that hill, so we're thinking 2 to 4. I guess we'll find out. I'm more worried about the ice tonight than the snow tomorrow.
The cake was good; Rick is really big on sweet stuff and he loves this. I had a nice piece, then gave the rest of it to him.

artiemom artiemom I hope G feels better soon. The other night I heard somebody throwing up a hair ball somewhere in the bedroom. I looked and looked, but nothing. Finally found it about halfway under the bed and had to crawl under the bed with my cleaners. Dried hair ball does not want to be cleaned. It takes forever.

gilmargl gilmargl Your SIL must be a hoot. He sounds like a good guy.
  • I lounged with the girls for a while before dragging my butt out of bed. I was awake but the sky was dreary and it was raining, and, well, there you go. Rick got up with them this morning. Molli ate breakfast, then scritched on the bedroom door, so I let her in. And then Muffin came back and started meowing, so she came in. Then Tabby came back and she started grunting (no other word for it), so she came in. And there I was, wrapped in the electric blanket with three girls wrapped around me. And life was good.
  • The local restaurant/bakery that's closing gave out their recipe for raisin-filled cookies, which is an insanely popular item in the bakery. They fill their cookies with different fillings, but raisin is really popular. I have the recipe and it's been calling to me. I want to make them, but then I'll eat them! I was thinking about raisin filling, but also some lemon filling; the lemon is decadent. I get up in the morning and think I'm making those cookies! And then I don't because.....yep, I'll eat them. Which is the whole purpose, I get that, but you know what I mean.
  • Will somebody please tell me how two people can make so much laundry? I did laundry on Monday and there wasn't a piece of clothing to be found in the hamper when I was done. I'm on my second load of laundry today. I don't get it. I swear our sweatshirts multiply like rabbits!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 things I didn't think I'd have to do today:

I'd just got up and dressed when I had to answer three phones at once telling me that my partner who refuses to see a doctor in spite of declining mobility and health is going to have to go into hospital immediately. My daughter, her boss (a GP) and I managed to convince him on Tuesday that he had to have a Covid-19 jab (his first). He couldn't get his feet into his shoes but we managed to get him to the surgery where the doctor took the opportunity to do an ECG and take a sample of blood. When the results of the blood test came through this morning, I had the laboratory, my daughter and her boss ringing me to give me the news that an ambulance and doctor were on their way to take him to an intensive care unit - kidney failure! In spite of his weak condition he refused to be taken away, but on the threat that, for his own safety, they would get a warrant to remove him, he succumbed to 4 young athletic parademics and an even younger doctor and left his bed to be helped into the ambulance in his pyjamas. I have no power of attorney - am just a friend. He has his own apartment which he hasn't seen for 10 years - although he can still wash and dress himself he relies on me for everything else as he never leaves the house.
So, I am relieved that he is now being cared for. I am hoping that social services will understand my situation and appoint somebody to do his tax forms and help him claim disability benefits. Up to now he has decined all forms of outside help and continues to hope that I will manage - but I've reached my limits mentally if not yet physically.

Sorry for that! When the ambulance finally left, I did the Wordle - and got my worst result to-date! I then stripped his bed, picked up his clothes and put everything in the washing machine.

This afternoon I phoned the hospital, packed a bag of toiletries, towels and some reading material. I charged up one of my old phones - but I don't think he'll be able to manage such a device. Before doing the weekly shopping, my daughter and I took a quick-Corona test so that we could visit. He is not comfortable at all - he said, we should have let him die in bed. He thought it was a nightmare when 5 large men appeared in his bedroom. I noticed that three cats were also petrified but Woolly Bear lay on her back at the feet of the tallest parademic with the biggest heavy boots.

What a day!!!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl I am so sorry about partner. How is he doing? I am certain you will now receive help with what needs to be done from Social Services. How are you doing?💖💞 :hugs:

Winchester Winchester Did you get much snow, Pam? We have quite a bit...sorm warming still in effect. It's so quiet, no cars or plows but it's cold.
artiemom artiemom How is Geoffrey? Cal has attempting to cough up up a hair ball aswell. I put some A&D ointment on her nose.

need to was some throws

Scoop

try to do light chores

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Must have been the night for ER visits. Rick called me last night from the ER. He was bowling and got so dizzy he thought he was going to pass out. A friend took him to the hospital. He called me to come in, get the car keys, pick the car up at the bowling alley and then go back to the ER. My sister took me in and then went back home; I was worried about her getting caught in the ice. After a myriad of tests, the doctor thinks it's something middle-ear related, maybe an ear stone, or an infection. He's on meds for vertigo and will call his family doctor this morning for a follow-up early next week. No driving, no ladder work, etc. So THEN I find out that he's been having dizzy spells for the last couple of days, but didn't tell me bc he didn't want me to worry. And he drove into see his mom yesterday and he really shouldn't have done so. I swear I'm going to smack him silly....no jury (of women) in the world would convict me. Hopefully it was a one-time thing. We got home around 10:00 and there was no ice at that time, thankfully.

But it's icy this morning. No snow....at least not yet. And right now, it's not doing anything that I could see. Schools are on delay.
  • Amber was on high alert this morning. She was screaming bright and early. Breakfast for the kids, running the dishwasher, and am back here with my coffee. And I'm really tired.
  • Rick and I are going to watch a few movies this afternoon into tonight. It's a good day for it. Not going to the WeShed in the ice. We'll hang out in the living room with the girls.
And that's it. Didn't get the cookies done yesterday....doubt I'll do them today. Heart just isn't in it.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear. Not fun for anyone. I have had benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, which meant I got dizzy when getting out of bed. There's a strange but simple canalith repositioning procedure / exercise with the funky name of Epley maneuver that worked quite well to correct things.

Here it is just rain but temperature is dropping. We'll keep an eye on the thermometer and tell the painter when it would be advisable to depart, even if not done today.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Mia6 Mia6 and Winchester Winchester

gilmargl gilmargl (((hugs))) I hope things get worked out with your partner.. It is so hard seeing someone you love in the hospital... ((hugs))

Mia6 Mia6 Please be careful out there... Stay inside!!

Winchester Winchester Yup, If Rick were healthier, I would smack him on the head also!! Take care.. Stay inside.. the ice is treacherous.. I have fallen so many times in the past. Years ago, I bought myself a pair of ice cleats... They are wonderful to have, in this type of weather..
Tell Rick, I am thinking of him... and you (((Hugs))) Amber---well..love too.....

Got up really late... Geoffrey was mad at me.. again with the, Meow, Meow... Reow... right in my ears... both of them.. He just wanted me up!!

He is getting fussy with his wet food.. and it is out of stock world wide. I keep telling him, that he cannot do that.. We cannot waste any of the wet food!! He does not seem to understand me..
Just being picky... I am playing Tuff Love.. Tuff Mama.. I tell him that unless he eats what is on his plate, he will not get any dry food.. I do not care how much he whines!!

Eventually, he gives in---then I praise him, give him some dry food...

What we go through for our kitties....
~~~~~~~~
I do not know what I got myself into.. but, the person who took a new position in here, from gym to semi-admistration, is trying to get residents more involved in things...

I jointed the book club---only 10 of us.. Real easy, inexpensive, simple books.. I read half the book in less than an hour..
I was asked to put together a list of questions, to discuss----why me???

The same person, is trying to get a choral group started---she came over asking me.. NO WAY--I cannot carry a tune...

She is also trying to get people involved in the close circuit TV channel, and internet services.. and activities.. Organized a "Game Day"---for board games every other Sunday..

And.... This is what I am getting myself into: She wanted to start up an in-house newspaper!!

Yup, I went down to the meeting.. There were only 4 of us... Yup, I got snookered in... Do not know if this is good or bad...
Since I am helping my friend run the Bocce Club.... I offered to do a Bocce Corner.. Scores, updates, and possibly an on-gong continuation of the history of Bocce...

I am crazed...

So, I am involved with:
Bocce
Book Club
Newspaper----updating on Bocce, writing history of Bocce, and printing up some word puzzles for
the newspaper......
Food Committee

I think this is enough for me... I am spending more time home, money is getting tighter..I guess I need more mental stimulation, than going out and spending money...

I may have lost the election, but I am gaining in more ways... More and more people are knowing me... This week, I was amazed at how many people know my name, and are talking to me... weird...

Today:
Regular stuff....
empty shredded, trash goes out...
Perhaps some dusting..
nothing else... read....
Get to work on the history of Bocce....

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to Mia6 Mia6 and artiemom artiemom , we're doing okay. Sorry to hear about poor Rick Winchester Winchester and your vertigo C catapault . 2022 has certainly not started too well. Hopefully it will improve as the weather gets better!

Three or four things today:
  1. Washed the very dirty, indestructible blankets I'd put on the kitchen floor while removing the wall tiles.
    My daughter was so impressed how these throws, which I'd bought from Aldi almost 40 years ago when the girls were horse-riding crazy, had washed up she told me never to use them on the floor while decorating again! :lol:
  2. The wind was blowing a gale so I did some more washing and managed to get it and the blankets dry outside on the washing line before it started to rain.
  3. Phoned the hospital and was put straight through to my partner who was not too happy but we cheered him up. He even joked that his kidney failure was a direct result of his Corona jab he'd received 5 minutes before his blood was taken! I also phoned his 2 brothers (one in Northern Germany and the other in Pittsburgh, PA). The most intelligent and helpful telephone conversation was with his neice - a young doctor, who understood the seriousness of the situation from the figures I quoted. She did not give me the normal platitudes but still managed to make me feel better.
  4. My partner had been sleeping in my big bed and I was on the spare bed with the cats. Today, I converted the spare bed back into a couch and made up my double bed just for me (and the cats). It will be no big deal changing back again - only the cats may complain about having so little space.
The kitchen has been put on hold. On Monday a local company is going to rebore the hole my SIL almost completed before filling it in again and replastering the area. The company has intelligent borers which will bore cleanly straight through the wall and the clinker bricks for the extraction fan.

I really feel the need to be getting on with something - anything! I'm too nervous sitting here waiting for things to happen. Perhaps I'll try out a new recipe from "Cooking for one with a microwave". Potato soup in a mug or Penne Pappa al Pomodoro? 😋 Or better not....

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to Mia6 Mia6 and artiemom artiemom , we're doing okay. Sorry to hear about poor Rick Winchester Winchester and your vertigo C catapault . 2022 has certainly not started too well. Hopefully it will improve as the weather gets better!

Three or four things today:
  1. Washed the very dirty, indestructible blankets I'd put on the kitchen floor while removing the wall tiles.
    My daughter was so impressed how these throws, which I'd bought from Aldi almost 40 years ago when the girls were horse-riding crazy, had washed up she told me never to use them on the floor while decorating again! :lol:
  2. The wind was blowing a gale so I did some more washing and managed to get it and the blankets dry outside on the washing line before it started to rain.
  3. Phoned the hospital and was put straight through to my partner who was not too happy but we cheered him up. He even joked that his kidney failure was a direct result of his Corona jab he'd received 5 minutes before his blood was taken! I also phoned his 2 brothers (one in Northern Germany and the other in Pittsburgh, PA). The most intelligent and helpful telephone conversation was with his neice - a young doctor, who understood the seriousness of the situation from the figures I quoted. She did not give me the normal platitudes but still managed to make me feel better.
  4. My partner had been sleeping in my big bed and I was on the spare bed with the cats. Today, I converted the spare bed back into a couch and made up my double bed just for me (and the cats). It will be no big deal changing back again - only the cats may complain about having so little space.
The kitchen has been put on hold. On Monday a local company is going to rebore the hole my SIL almost completed before filling it in again and replastering the area. The company has intelligent borers which will bore cleanly straight through the wall and the clinker bricks for the extraction fan.

I really feel the need to be getting on with something - anything! I'm too nervous sitting here waiting for things to happen. Perhaps I'll try out a new recipe from "Cooking for one with a microwave". Potato soup in a mug or Penne Pappa al Pomodoro? 😋 Or better not....
Let's see: Paid my Credit card bill, Paid my internet bill . Now watching Pairs Ice Dancing on the Olympic Channel.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I have had benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, which meant I got dizzy when getting out of bed. There's a strange but simple canalith repositioning procedure / exercise with the funky name of Epley maneuver that worked quite well to correct things.
I get BPPV every few months, and the Epley maneuver moves everything back where it belongs in just a few minutes. I do have to do it twice sometimes. My doctor taught me the Epley maneuver and I also found a good video online.

I was three years past due on having a mammogram and finally got that done at 7:30 this morning. Yay!

I had not one but two Zoom meetings this morning. I do miss in-person meetings, but it’s also nice to login at the last minute and be “there.” Plus I can bring up a second window and multitask while the meeting is going on:blush:

My husband just helped me shave the long hair around Iris’s butt. She’s so arthritic that she can’t hold the position long enough to get a clean “drop” so she sits on it and smears it all over her back end. She was indignant about the shaving, but I told her she hates having poop cleaned off of her back end much more. Of course, she understood. :lol:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The incident of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo was a couple / a few years ago and has not reoccurred.

The painter finished up today. He did a very high quality job. Pleasant man, which is a good thing considering he was here every day for a week from morning to late afternoon. His adult son came in the afternoon and the two of them took down the scaffolding and put it in the truck, ditto ladders, etc. Furniture back approximately in position in the great room. Tomorrow it will be fine tuned and I'll start putting books and decorative things where they belong.

Been feeding him lunch. Today I made pizza for the men. I had French toast.
Pizza_2022-02_mushroom and black olive pizza.jpg

I was concerned last night as the dough did not seem to be rising as it should. It did, but I think the non-working refrigerator / food in coolers outdoors one of which got wet inside in a rainstorm affected it. Think I will get a new 3-pack of yeast and just discard the old stuff.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
The incident of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo was a couple / a few years ago and has not reoccurred.

The painter finished up today. He did a very high quality job. Pleasant man, which is a good thing considering he was here every day for a week from morning to late afternoon. His adult son came in the afternoon and the two of them took down the scaffolding and put it in the truck, ditto ladders, etc. Furniture back approximately in position in the great room. Tomorrow it will be fine tuned and I'll start putting books and decorative things where they belong.

Been feeding him lunch. Today I made pizza for the men. I had French toast.
View attachment 409850

I was concerned last night as the dough did not seem to be rising as it should. It did, but I think the non-working refrigerator / food in coolers outdoors one of which got wet inside in a rainstorm affected it. Think I will get a new 3-pack of yeast and just discard the old stuff.
That pizza looks scrumptious!!!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Pam, my b.i.l. has some kind of vertigo but it is all the time. He has exercises to do, focusing
on objects on cards. He just has to be careful on steps, etc. I know it's difficult not to worry but sometimes
dizziness is nothing more than a sinus infection.
artiemom artiemom Well, I found Cal's hairball. It was huge and had dried. Better that a wet mess.
gilmargl gilmargl Gil, I love that partner blamed kidney failure on jab, hee, hee
C catapault Your food always looks so pretty!!
strider rose strider rose How are you.Jenn?

boxes

throws

dishes

I am snowed in still. It is in our lease that snow removal is the tenant's job but I would think they would plow just this once. She hasn't even been over yet.🤞

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everybody seems to be snowed up and I woke up to brilliant sunshine and strong winds here in Germany (I know, I did sleep rather late as I didn't want to disturb the cats! Well, that's my story.)

3 things done today which I wouldn't normally do:

1. Spent more time speaking on the phone to my partner's 2 brothers and niece than in the past 25 years!
  2. Cooked potato soup for one in the microwave oven.
  3. Tried to find storage space for clean blankets and bedding (laundered yesterday) after moving back into my own bed.

Spoke to my partner in hospital: nothing new there but he seems to be acclimatising himself to life in an intensive care hospital unit.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Today:
*Did not sleep well last night.. I had the window cracked a bit.. turned out to be cold in the bedroom.. too lazy to get up...
*Woke up late... did pre breakfast playtime with Geoffrey
*Regular morning stuff
*cuddled with Geoffrey for a while... he loves cuddle time
*Went outside to scrape the 2 inches of Ice off my car !!! Took me an hour to do!! bad arm a bit sore...
*hot chocolate to warm up... so cold and windy outside. I froze.. Had to take my eyeglasses off--could not see.
*Phone call
* Cleaned up vomit---again.. Threw all my trash out...
*Supper was Trader Joe's, Vegetable Chili... I like it... has some black beans, cauliflower, sweet potato... not too spicy.. did not have any sour cream, so used non-dairy cream cheese...
* washed dishes

I am done.. for the day....

Tomorrow, I will see if I can clean off my friend's car. She has rheumatoid arthritis, and cannot do so... I do have a bad arm, but I can do it..

I have ice spikes!! I walk over the ice like a Gazelle. I have had them for many years. I am So glad I kept them.

I was tired of falling on ice, so I bought them.. When I was working, I convinced so many people to get them. They do come in handy. They slip onto any boot or shoe.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl Recipe for Potato soup for one??
And what is the name of the cookbook, for one or two... looking for small recipes... I do not care for leftovers...

Thank you...

(((Hugs))) to you and your partner!!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I made granola for my morning breakfast of fruit, yogurt, and granola. A batch lasts about two weeks. I also diced frozen strawberries for the same purpose. I buy four-pound bag of whole strawberries at Costco, dice, mix with Costco frozen blueberries, and put them back in the freezer.

We’re going to watch “Don’t Look Up” on Netflix tonight. I’ve read mixed reviews but enough positives that I’m looking forward to it.

Once again, Iris deposited a yarn ball in the litter box—right next to a pee clump. And then she pooped next to it. She’s now down to two. I think I bought those at the grocery store. I’ll check when we go shopping tomorrow.

“I take it everywhere.”
00BAD1B6-CE33-4C0B-8BDC-95C6C2BB50EA.jpeg

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl Recipe for Potato soup for one??
And what is the name of the cookbook, for one or two... looking for small recipes... I do not care for leftovers...

Thank you...

(((Hugs))) to you and your partner!!

Found it on the Internet. I didn't follow the recipe exactly - just took it as a basic guideline.
I used a microwave jug rather than a mug
Estimated how many potatoes I wanted to eat
Did not use cornflour (completely unnecessary)
Did not use chicken or vegetable stock - used cooking water from potatoes
Used some fresh herbs
Didn't have any sour cream!

The soup was tasty and I don't mind "crunchy" onions.

Three things today:
Made "Microwave penne pappa al pomodoro" for one. Lots of tomatoes in this. My snack tomatoes were not too tasty but with plenty of Parmesan cheese it made a satisfactory meal. I'm not fussy.
Remembered to compose "Question of the Day"
Phoned the hospital but the patient was completely confused: something tells me he won't be coming home very soon.
😥

Status
Not open for further replies.