catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is just 10:00 a.m. as I sit down to write, and already today I have

1) unloaded dishwasher

2) washed and dried a load of darks which now need to be folded because

3) washed a load of whites that need to go into the drier

4) packed up the last crate of cannas and have started cleaning up the garage so

5) maybe today my car will go back in

6) the men are here sanding the spackled sheet rock for the 7 skylight window wells. I find it odd - and annoying - that they asked if we had a vacuum they could use. Nice that they are vacuuming but irritating that they need one of ours to use. Gave them a small shop vac.

7) and - tah dah! - ordered candied fruit for fruitcake from The Larder in Doylestown PA. They'll ship it to me, as was done last year.

Plus the day is still young. Let's see what else happens.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is now 3:35 p.m. The two workmen left about an hour ago. Even with all the plastic sheets from ceiling to floor there is a thin film of sheet rock dust over the furniture etc. Which is still shoved higgledy piggledy to the bedroom and great room perimeter. They didn't ask if we wanted the furniture put back. Actually we just wanted the men gone. Have a call in to our every other week cleaning lady to see of she can squeeze in an off-schedule dusting / vacuuming for those two rooms. You perhaps saw that they asked to borrow a vacuum? They also asked for large garbage bags to collect all the plastic sheets, brown paper over the floor in great room - four bags in all. At least the sheet rock work and spackling work was nicely done.

Car not yet in garage. I did move a large tub full of debris from cleaning cannas to bottom of driveway but it is very overcast, windy, and chilly. So I moved the last 6 pots of aspidistra into the garage and bug sprayed four of them. Tub and several large empty pots are back in tool shed.

Propane service here to check on slight smell of propane I've noticed ever since the pilot for the greenhouse heater was replaced. I wasn't imagining things - one nut needed to be tightened just half a turn. Interestingly the tech said women are more sensitive to the smell of propane than are men.

And tomorrow is the media preview for the holiday train show at the New York Botanical Garden. That will be a lovely change. Except for the 83 mile / 2 hour drive each way to get there and return home.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
You perhaps saw that they asked to borrow a vacuum? They also asked for large garbage bags to collect all the plastic sheets, brown paper over the floor in great room - four bags in all.
A bit cheeky to expect you to provide vacuum and bags!!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was a bit busy..
* reg morning stuff
*out to grocery store
*pick up more litter---buy one get 40% off another box
*Rite-Aid for a script
* a few phone calls to return
* bring cart back downstairs... got conned into helping the desk with something.
*pick up a delivery package
*dump trash
Honestly, the grocery store was mobbed! I spoke with a friend of mine who said it was mobbed very early in morning! People are going crazy!! With T-day upcoming, and the supply issues...well, people are stocking up! Many of the shelves were bare, no stock coming in.. They were complexity out of my oatmeal.. on a hunt for that, later this week.

Prices are up! and have skyrocketed. Yes, I did pick up some nonperishable stuff for my T-day dinner, but----OMGosh... so expensive. I have not paid this much for a grocery order, in years!!

Today:
*Up early: car going into garage for winterizing and a good check over. May not get it back today..
*Friend is chauffeuring me back and forth to garage
*regular morning stuff
* write out one T day card
*have to put clean curtains up
*change bed sheets
*laundry
*trash some stuff
** I feel a nap, coming on...

At least these are on my list. I will probably not accomplish half of it..

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom Grocery prices are insane. We did get a turkey yesterday, a free one from Giant. I have no qualms about getting and using a free turkey, although we figure we did pay for it by buying groceries anyway. It's about 15 pounds, which is way more than enough for Rick and me and leftovers. In some areas of the US, the stores don't have turkeys; at least that's what I've been hearing. There are plenty in our stores. But geez, the prices! We go for groceries about once every 3 or 4 weeks, but our grocery bill is usually right about the same. The last time we went, it was ridiculous! I'll go down next Monday for the few things I need for T-Day dinner.

Rick is in panic mode; he's getting two wisdom teeth extracted tomorrow and he's frustrated that he even has to have it done. He's never had teeth removed before and he thinks removing wisdom teeth is antiquated. The teeth are fine, they're not giving him any trouble. It's going to be interesting tomorrow. A full-blown Richard is not a pretty sight.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, took Muffin for her walk, re-heated my coffee and am back here hanging out.
  • A couple loads of laundry
  • Work on leaves in the yard

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I accomplished most of the stuff on my list. Pretty good for me!!

Left to do:
*laundry
* nap

Did everything else.

The food grill arrived. The box is huge. I did quickly take it out of the body.

I think it fits where the toaster oven currently resides.

I could put the toaster oven either on top of the microwave, or on top of the refrigerator; while I evaluate the food I grill.

I will play over the weekend or Monday and decide.
Not sure about cooking with it this week, weekend.

Winchester Winchester , Pam, I may be contacting you!

Have a couple of errands to do this week, along with a Haircut on Wednesday.
Sunday will be fresh produce for T-day. Monday and Tuesday will be raining. Stores will be a Madhouse.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Left home at 8:10 a.m. Traffic on the first stretch of highway and again on the GW bridge was horrible. We didn't reach NYBG until about 10:30 a.m., half an hour late.

The holiday train show, still being installed, is wonderful. Better than ever. But we say that every year. Here's an image of the Mertz library building, new this year, made out of plant parts - leaves, pine cone scales, bark and more - on a foam core base. The allee is myrtle topiaries. That's a G scale train tootling by. And a familiar favorite, the statue of liberty, this year on display in the Palm Court pool.

NYBG Holday Train Show_2021-11_Mertz Library Building and train.jpg NYBG Holday Train Show_2021-11_Statue of Liberty.jpg

Had lunch at the Garden's Pine Tree Cafe - I had apple squash soup and half a garden vegetable panini, Himself had a personal pepperoni pizza made to order. Sturdy pressed paper plates and soup cup, recyclable. Bottled water in metal bottles, endlessly recyclable.

Then the long drive home. I fed the boys extra canned cat food before we left, fed them again once back home. And baked chocolate chip cookies - having prepared the dough and refrigerated yesterday evening.

Tonight will be, I do believe, an early bedtime for both of us.

Attachments

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
  • Got home with Dear Richard after having his wisdom teeth removed. He's fine, but still peeved about the whole thing. I made ice cream last night to make in the Creami tonight for him. Vanilla and chocolate. Dentist said to just eat ice cream today....he can do that! Joyfully! He's still dealing with the effects of the novocaine. I think that, once that wears off, he's going to be hurting a bit.
  • Brought the trash can up to the house and will scoop in a few minutes.
  • I think we're going to zone on movies today. Maybe something on Disney+. Nothing major.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom Call me! I'll be around all weekend! I really hope you'll enjoy your grill!

Holy crap! Chewy's prices just took a jump! I did an order last night and I couldn't believe it. Every single case of Friskies Buffet that I had on order jumped in price. Wow The problem is that our Giant doesn't have FB cans in stock anymore; we haven't see any in months now. I may have to check the Weis store to see what's going on there. One case of 24 cans of Turkey and Giblets pate from Chewy is now almost $19 ($18.72), about 79 cents a can. The girls must eat, so I ordered. Boy....
  • Breakfast for the girls, ran the dishwasher, and went back to bed
  • Drinking my coffee now and will empty the dishwasher and scoop
  • Outside to work on leaves
  • Cat litter from Chewy is supposed to be coming this afternoon. Their shipping is simply excellent.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
It's cold and breezy this morning. I hate being cold and I hate going out into the cold. Yesterday we were in the 60s. It appears that fall has arrived again this morning.
  • Rick got up with the girls. I just dragged my sorry butt out of bed. Drinking my coffee now.
  • Must put some audiobooks on Evelyn's Kindle, then we're taking it to Rick's sister, who has a doctor appt in town. She'll take it to her mom. Still can't go into visit with her.
  • A load of kitty stuff is in the washer
  • Call for a hair appt. I need about two inches taken off. Unfortunately, that still won't get rid of that last bit of red. Pretty much all silver and white now. It makes me feel old sometimes. And it's always a shock when I see it in pictures. We took pictures when we were with Evelyn for her birthday party and when I saw the pictures of me, it kinda kicked me in the stomach. I know that I'm silver and white and I see it in the mirror. But boy, a picture? Oy!
Not sure what else is on our agenda today. I'd like to go down to Lowes for no other reason than to check out their Christmas stuff.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester How is Rick feeling after the extractions?

washing bedding

will do chores

Well, my new helper only worked one day. She has COVID again! I didn't know you could get it twice. So she'll be back on the 29th.
This is starting to be a farce. I like her though and she'll be good.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is cold outside. That's excellent! Why? Because having scrubbed out the inner pail on the kitchen compost bucket, dried it thoroughly, put it back into use - when I opened it yesterday evening to toss in a few vegetable scraps some fruit flies came swirling up! I swear, spontaneous generation. Put it outside. And from now on it can live on the step outside the kitchen door. So let it stay cold, let it freeze. And the ding dang fruit flies too!

This morning as I did the "first things" I tell you, just as the cats know when it is time for their meals the birds have learned to recognize when I appear out the kitchen door, feeders in my hand to hang up, food is again available. They are on the feeders almost as soon as I am back in the house.

A load of jeans and towel swishing around in the clothes washer. After I get them into the dryer I will

Depart for the living history farm. Today's event is logging with horses, and firewood. The last time I attended this event - pre-covid it was - there was a man with Suffolk Punch horses. Logging with horses is his business!

Stopped at the supermarket yesterday looking for gizzards for Mr Poe. Out of luck. But I did find a fresh, not frozen duck. Got one of the butchers to take the breasts off the carcass and separate out the leg quarters. Return the carcass with the meat. Could do it myself but why not take advantage of such services. So this afternoon I'll make stock from the carcass, after which I'll make a sort of confit from the legs - salt them before I leave today, poach them tomorrow. Strip the meat afterwards and make something delicious.

And the day is still young. More to follow.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
  • Got up with the girls, emptied the dishwasher, drank my coffee and went back to bed. Muffin came back around 8:30 and demanded a walk. :cold::cold::cold:
  • Scooped the boxes.
  • While Rick watches football today, I'm going out to the WeShed. I want to vacuum, swiffer, all that good stuff. He's bringing the Tacky White Tree out to the WeShed tomorrow.
Not too much on our Saturday agenda. He had a heckuva headache yesterday and was down most of the day. We did do a wee bit of shopping, but that was basically to get him another neti-pot. He watched football on the couch most of the last night.

Mia6 Mia6 I'm sorry, I didn't see your post! :hugs: Rick is doing OK. Barely any pain, other than a very bad headache. He's been on a pureed diet thing and today will be the first he can actually eat something. Thanks so much for asking about him. I'm so sorry about your helper. You're right....the whole thing has gotten rather silly. We feel that way about Rick's mom in the nursing home, too. Hopefully, she'll feel better soon.

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes! I forgot I offered to help the Councillor at large with an election recount!!!

By the time I saw his email, I thought it was too late…
He forgave me, but really did need me.

Ran down to High School gym. Got there around 12:30pm. Stayed until 3:30pm, when all the wards ballots were done being counted.

I was halfway home, when I turned back, feeling as if I was deserting him.

They were still counting mail ins, and had the official count to do.

The Councillor hugged me, again— told me to go home. He said he will let me know the results.

Nervously awaiting it. It is a close battle. Very close.

Have not heard anything yet— no news is not good news— I’m this case.

My eyes are buggy— staring at ballots, lines, dots, all afternoon long.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We received President Biden's birthday card for Rick's mom yesterday. Didn't open it as it's hers to open.

A bit disappointed in Chewy this time around. One case of cat food was so dented that a couple of the cans were actually open and the case was wet. I took pictures and will email Chewy. Cat food is expensive and I don't think it's right to just throw it out without telling them. I don't think it was the FedEx handling either as the box itself was fine. Usually they use cardboard toppers on their cases; this time they didn't. I don't know what happened, but it needs to be replaced.

I finally did get around to getting Discovery+. And I spent yesterday in the WeShed watching Good Eats. I love Alton all over again! About 3/4 of the way through the first season.

Rick said he'd put the Tacky White Tree up in the WeShed today. Muffin and I will go out to decorate. She's still not completely comfortable out there, but as long as I'm with her, she does OK. She loves to flop on the back of the couch and yell at the leaves.
  • Must be something about orange girls. Amber awakens us every morning around 4:00 wanting breakfast. We don't get up until 5:30, but that doesn't stop her. She has lungs bigger than she is. This morning, Rick got up with the girls and I stayed in bed. Well, around 8:00, Muffin came back and started yelling for her after-breakfast breakfast. Orange girls are very loud! I got up, fed the girls, got my coffee, and came back here. And I've been here for quite a while.
  • Must make my cranberry relish for T-Day. My sister texted me last night, wondering if I was making relish. Mom used to make it for us; since she passed, I make it for my sister and me. We're the only ones who really eat the stuff. Rick and my BIL prefer the Ocean Spray jellied sauce.
  • And then I'll scoop boxes.
  • Do a final check-thru of my grocery list, so tomorrow morning we can grab whatever I need for our T-Day dinner.
  • Hopefully work on the TWT. And watch more Good Eats.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I made the stock from duck carcass, carrot, celery, onion. In the evening I strained out the solids and put the pot of stock outdoors to chill. I also rinsed the salt, rosemary, thyme off the leg quarters, patted dry and refrigerated.

Now we're up to today.

I took the fat off the pot of stock, put in a smaller pot. Heated, strained, poured into a jar and refrigerated.

Slow simmered the leg quarters in the stock. Removed. Refrigerated.

Cooled the pot of stock in sink full of cold water plus a tray of ice cubes. Strained, poured into container, and refrigerated.

Wrote the entry for my website about yesterday's logging with horses at the living history farm. I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Helped Himself haul some ash he had cut to stove length a couple of days ago. We moved it out of the woods using the hand truck. Loaded onto cart and moved across lawn, around side of house, then across driveway to store on rack near log splitter. Some could be used as is, a few pieces will need split first.

And so went my day, accomplished what I wanted and also had ample time off.

Status
Not open for further replies.