Name Three Things - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm pooped. My arms are having a contest to see which one can hurt worse. I think my left arm is winning with Moderna. I have a heckuva headache and just feel bleah. We'll see how things go today. Maybe by this afternoon, I can go outside for a while. Muffin is already screaming for a walk. I'll have to wear sunglasses if I take her out. Blah

• I consider it an achievement that I got out of bed this morning.
  • It was my turn to get up with the girls and I did that at 5:30, but then I went back to bed.
  • It's my turn to scoop boxes, too, so I need to do that.
  • Good day to watch tv, I think.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My blase boys are completely unaffected by the disruption currently ongoing in our house. Started on Tuesday, may be completed today. Men are here replacing sheet rock around bedroom and great room skylight wells, three in bedroom and four in great room. Skylights were - perhaps you recall - replaced a couple of months ago. So furniture is pushed to the sides or even out of our bedroom, plastic sheeting stretches from ceiling past balcony down to the floor on two open sides of the great room, furniture covered with plastic, floor covered with brown paper. A couple of levels of scaffolding in great room. Our bed is covered while the men are here working but uncovered before they leave so we - and the cats - can sleep where we usually do.

Once all done we'll need to call the painter. Not taking any bets whether it will be this year or next before he gets here.

Edited to add: Nope, they'll be here tomorrow also. They are already here this morning. Today they are spackling. It needs to dry. Come back tomorrow and apply the second coat of spackling. Himself told them they should clean up the pieces of sheet rock etc that are outside on the lawn because it is supposed to rain tomorrow.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I feel 100% better this morning! Headache is gone and my arms feel so much better. Yay!
  • Drinking my coffee and Molli is back here with me
  • Vacuum, swiffer, etc.
  • Change the bed sheets
  • Three loads of laundry
  • Work outside. Basically now we're tearing out the lima bean plants and clipping the asparagus down. We always let the asparagus go until the very end of the season. We've been adding leaves to the raised bed and to the garden. When we're done with that, Rick will get some horse manure from our neighbor and till that in. Seed with rye grass and let it go till next spring.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sheet rock / spackle guys were here for three hours. They'll come tomorrow for a second coat of spackle. Which must also dry before they can sand it and cover with primer. Himself suggested they come on Saturday for sanding / priming. I am not so sanguine. Have a feeling it will be Monday. Which means a weekend with furniture in disarray, scaffolding, huge sheets of thin plastic "walling off" the great room, over the bureaus in our bedroom, over mirrors, over this and that and other things.

Tuesday is the media preview for the holiday train show at the New York Botanical Garden so any delays beyond Monday will be awkward.

This morning I baked chocolate chip cookies. I had prepared dough, scooped last night, then refrigerated. I've been sending the workers off with a cookie apiece as they finish for the day. Had not anticipated how many days worth of cookies this would end up being.

This afternoon Himself, plus our intermittent handyman, and me, got the plywood covers over the cut back hardy bananas. Need to have the space stuffed full of leaves. Which will settle, like potato chips in a bag. Leaves seem to be falling somewhat slower this year - oaks are always slow but they are still yellow-green, flexible and attached to the twigs. Handyman had to go into the woods for the last 8 tubs. Told him if he sees any of those large brown paper leaf filled bags out by the curb as he drives around to toss a few into his car for the next time he is here. Now need to find time to drive in some metal fence posts for where the bananas have spread beyond the covers, attach fencing, fill space with leaves, then tarp over the top.

And there's one last tub in the garage, filled with a canna cultivar waiting for me to roughly clean, then pack away for the winter. I regret the ones still outdoors in pots but there is no need to salvage and store them.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
It poured rain yesterday afternoon, but today it's been sunny and gorgeous. It made for a fantastic walk this morning at about 7:30 a.m. We had to carefully make our way through about 30 turkeys but while they gave us a bit of side-eye, they otherwise ignore us. :lol: Temperature at this moment is 64 degrees. Most of the leaves have fallen since we had a mind-numbing windstorm a couple of days ago.

I got the photos I needed this morning for the two articles I've written for our community newsletter. And then I went over and stood outside the auditorium while they were holding the ceremony for veterans. You couldn't enter if you weren't a vet--social distancing--but they had a TV set up outside and several of us watched from there.

And unfortunately, I have to take Lily to the vet this afternoon. It's her second UTI in two weeks. So frustrating. She and her littermate, Iris, have had several this year. Long haired, 17 years old, and apparently a predisposition for UTIs. I hate to see them struggle. 😥

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been busy today. I cleaned out my garage this morning to make room for a snow blower and some patio furniture I won in an auction. So I moved my lawn mowers to the shed and then also put a bunch of stuff that was lying around the backyard into the shed as well. I swept out the leaves that had collected between my house and garage. I went and picked up the auction items and I also made a wreath this afternoon with stuff I got from the dollar store (see below).
1636675973101.png

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
And unfortunately, I have to take Lily to the vet this afternoon. It's her second UTI in two weeks. So frustrating. She and her littermate, Iris, have had several this year. Long haired, 17 years old, and apparently a predisposition for UTIs. I hate to see them struggle
My Vincie girl was prone to them late in her life. She was difficult to medicate so they would give her an injection
of Covenia. That would work quickly.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
It is pouring rain and has been all night long. This storm is to stay until noon or so, then move east. Followed by cooler weather. It's very windy; that should get rid of the leaves.

I don't know what I did to my coffee this morning, but it is so good. Wish I could make it that way all the time.

Tobermory Tobermory Good luck with Lily. Ms. Pepe had UTIs when she got older, too.
MonaLyssa33 MonaLyssa33 Love your wreath!
C catapault Don't you love fall and all the chores that the season brings?!
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and Molli and I are back here, me with my coffee, Molli bathing on the cat tree.
  • We're going to get a new license plate for the Tucson. Half the numbers/letters have come off and they can barely be seen. Although the PA Turnpike didn't have a problem charging me for the turnpike from when we went down to the Green Dragon a few weeks ago. We just got the bill and there was a picture of my license. Still, a cop told me that I could get fined for the license plate, so we'll get a new one.
  • Depending on how things go, I may take Dear Richard out to breakfast. It's a rainy, chilly morning; breakfast seems like a good idea.
  • The Grill and Griddle should come in today. I got an email from UPS, saying that I could expect delivery. Wasn't really expecting that, but I'll take it.
  • And we need to figure out what to do with the stuff in the fridge and freezer. I swear there is simply no room at all in the freezers in the basement. The small fridge in the WeShed is packed full. Probably ice chests; it's basically bags of ice in the SS's freezer anyway and I can use it in the ice chests. I need to clean the SamSuck out and wipe it down. I don't know why I should even wipe it down. All I really want to do is beat the crap out of it with a sledgehammer. :bat:I have never hated an appliance more than this SamSuck. :fuming: We're going to let the delivery people take the SamSuck and pay for removal. PPL said they earliest they can get here is Jan 6 2022 and that thing is not sitting in my kitchen that long! :angrywoman:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I made two loaves of cinnamon bread this morning for our weekly Saturday morning French toast feast. I haven't cut them yet (they're too warm), but they rose beautifully with no shred at all--for a change. :)

We went to Costco this morning while the bread was on its second rise. I cringed as we pulled into the parking lot because it was so crowded. But as is usually the case, once we got inside, it wasn't bad. And now that they have some self-checkout stations, it's really convenient.

I need to clean the floor in the kitties' bathroom now that Lily seems to be improving from her UTI. She spent one day and a night in there and dribbled all over the place. She's out now and all three cats are stretched out on the sofa, Lily on one end (because she hates the other two) and Iris and Mocha curled up together on the other.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I will be thinking of you tomorrow as you spit on the Samsuck as it is carried out the door.

The workers never came today to do the second spackle layer on the skylight ceiling wells. That stinks because while it was raining somewhat heavily this morning, this is an indoor job so what's the difference. Late afternoon Himself called the man who arranged the work to be done. And they are supposed to come tomorrow, Saturday.

A) Tomorrow I am going to the living history farm for a bacon / sausage / scrapple event (basically they will butcher a couple of halves of pork while we watch, grind sausage, cook scraple etc)

and

B) it means we need to live with the plastic draperies all weekend because it will be Monday before they come back to sand the spackle (can anyone estimate how much dust that will make!) and prime the surfaces.

Feh!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
new helper stared yesterday. She was supposed to work for a few days about a month ago but got COVID.
She is no longer with her morning client so I will have her Monday-Friday 9-11am. Nice girl and she loves
to clean and cook!

Very cold here, with some snow.

I may make hot cocoa with whipped cream on top.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
The conversation went something like this:
Mom, I want to go for a walk.
I'm drinking my coffee, Muffin.
Mom, I want to go for a walk. Now.
I'm drinking my coffee, Muffin!
Mom! Walk! NOW!
OK, OK! Let's go! You need your blankie.
I don't need no stinkin' blankie, Mom!
No blankie, no walk.
*sigh* Fine. Get the blankie. Let's go.
And we go outside. It's windy and the leaves are rustling.
Mom! It's cold out!
Which is why you needed your blankie.
Mom! The leaves! Let me down! Let me down now! I must kill leaves! Oh, that one almost got me! Can we go in now? It's cold!
We walk over under the trees at the WeShed.
Mom! What the heck?! Lemme down! Oh, no! Back inside! Back to the house! NOW!
Muffin, you're chicken.
Mom, there are a LOT of leaves! Back in the house!
We got back to the house and she told her dad all about the leaves and how windy it was. Meow, meow, meow. Jumped up on Rick's lap and told him her saga. My Muffin. Gotta love her. That girl talks a blue streak. She's always telling us about things.

And that was how my day started. And it is cold. And it is windy. And the leaves are flying. And Muffin was not amused.
  • Reheated my coffee after my walk with Muffin
  • Must scoop boxes
  • Got a text for the store....they're coming between 2:15 and 4:15 today with the fridge. A far cry from 10:00 this morning. That's OK. I'll gladly wait.
  • Move food from the SamSuck to ice chests in the basement.

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two workers showed up this morning at 8:03 a.m. That's a first, it is usually closer to 9:00 a.m. regardless of when they say they will arrive when previously leaving here. Two hours, second coat of spackle applied. Back on Monday. Will be spending the rest of the weekend with sheets of plastic closing off most of the great room and dangling in our bedroom.

Realized I'll need to strip the bed and change sheets on Sunday rather than usual Monday. It's either that or straighten the bedclothes, then strip / wash / make up with fresh sheets after they leave. Sunday seems like a better choice, don't you agree?

As they were leaving today at about 10:00 a.m. so was I, for the sausage and scrapple event at the living history farm. Which was interesting, as always for their events.

As I was about to leave the farm at close to 1:00 p.m. the heavens opened up with rain, tremendous lightening and thunder like orchestral timpani. At home there was better than a half inch of rain in a bit under half an hour. And hail!

So that was today, with half the weekend still remaining.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday was cold and rainy. It poured for a while. Not much going on today. It's cold and windy. I think it's to be sunny, though, so Rick should be able to get outside. You'd never know that we cleaned up leaves earlier in the week. We'll be cleaning leaves again tomorrow.
  • My turn to get up with the girls. Gave them breakfast, emptied the dishwasher, and I'm sitting back here with my coffee. Mollipop was back here for a while, but it's a little on the chilly side, and she opted for the bedroom. I opened the door for her, she hopped into bed and created a nest under the electric blanket.
  • Must scoop this morning
  • I need to shop in the freezers. Figure out what we're having for dinners this week, then I'll go down and bring the items up and throw them in the freezer. It's nice to be able to do that again. I only keep what I need for a week or two in the fridge freezer at a time. And then go out to the WeShed and bring the stuff in from there.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
regular stuff

washed throws that Connie and Robbie use, gave them fresh ones from the dryer Will wash my blankets

Read

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I *finally* fixed a drawer in my kitchen that broke four months ago and I've been putting off fixing. I also went to JCPenney's with a friend and then out to eat and I put booties on my dog to see how she'd take to them with winter coming. It was a hilarious experiment. I also put a doggy sweatshirt on her that she's been wearing all day. I'm not sure if she likes it or not though.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
  • Muffin and I went out for a walk and she was not amused. It's chilly and windy. She complained the entire time, but yet the whole thing was her idea! She always waits until I'm sitting back here with my coffee, THEN she decides it's time for a walk. Put my coffee in the microwave to heat back up.
  • We may go down for our turkey today. I could use a few things from the store anyway. And one of the guys forgot his tape measure when they were here on Saturday with the fridge. We want to return it to the store and they can make sure he gets it. I'd like to hit Ulta for shampoo/conditioner, etc. They're having a sale and I have a coupon for $20 off $100 order. It may sound like a lot, but till you get a couple kinds of shampoos, conditioners, etc. it doesn't take long. Rick and I use two different products. I'm also using the Clairol Shimmer Lights for my greys and silvers. I shouldn't have to buy hair stuff for quite a while after this.
  • Oh, and we have to grab Evelyn's Kindle. She's really hungry for pie. They get a lot of cake in the nursing home, but they don't get pie. She dearly loves shoo-fly pie, so I may make one and give her a huge chunk when we take the Kindle back tomorrow. (My shoo-fly pies don't turn out as nice my SIL's pies, but it will have to do) I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but the home is (once again) locked down. Thankfully, we did get to visit with her last week. But she's so frustrated because they no sooner got out of their rooms for activities and now they're all stuck back in their rooms again.
  • I'm getting Discovery+ for one month. I want to get caught up with Barefoot Contessa shows and I think she's on there. I'm a paranormal fan :paperbag: :paperbag: and no, I don't believe in the stuff, but I have always liked Ghost Hunters. And I got into the Dead Files, more so for the history of the places and towns than anything else. Rick and I both watch Expedition Unknown and do like Josh Gates, even though he never finds anything and it's hype....we like the hype, I guess. I figured that we'll get it for one month and see what it's like. It's something for me out in the WeShed while Rick is watching football. And he can watch it, too, as he likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.