Name Three Things - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
  • Ran to the store for sour cream and provolone for baked ziti for Thursday's dinner. I needed more vinegar and a couple bags of sugar for the pickles. This is not a good time to be buying white vinegar....not a gallon of vinegar to be found. They did have half-gallons, so I bought two.
  • Need to make a frozen peanut butter pie, also for Thursday's dinner
  • Rick brought the cucumbers up to the kitchen for me. They soaked in their lime water for 24 hours, so it was time to rinse them well. I rinsed them and now they're soaking in cold water until tomorrow morning when I'll make the syrup and can them.
  • A quick vacuum and swiffer about the house

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Ran to the store for sour cream and provolone for baked ziti for Thursday's dinner. I needed more vinegar and a couple bags of sugar for the pickles. This is not a good time to be buying white vinegar....not a gallon of vinegar to be found. They did have half-gallons, so I bought two.
  • Need to make a frozen peanut butter pie, also for Thursday's dinner
  • Rick brought the cucumbers up to the kitchen for me. They soaked in their lime water for 24 hours, so it was time to rinse them well. I rinsed them and now they're soaking in cold water until tomorrow morning when I'll make the syrup and can them.
  • A quick vacuum and swiffer about the house
Pammie, is Thursday;d dinner just for you and Rick or are you having guests? Baked ziti sounds so good Is the recipe posted
in the Foodie Corner?

EDIT: I got al the dishes washed!! It took me over an hour but I paced myself. I forgot I had poured bleach
into the the big plastic bowl I wash them in and now my hands aer sore because I didn't have gloves on.
Aquaphor will do the trick

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Pammie, is Thursday;d dinner just for you and Rick or are you having guests? Baked ziti sounds so good Is the recipe posted
in the Foodie Corner?

EDIT: I got al the dishes washed!! It took me over an hour but I paced myself. I forgot I had poured bleach
into the the big plastic bowl I wash them in and now my hands aer sore because I didn't have gloves on.
Aquaphor will do the trick
Mia6 Mia6 No guests, unless you count my BIL. We're doing the ziti, garlic-Parm rolls, Caesar salad, with a frozen peanut butter pie for dessert. BIL has only ever had baked ziti once and he thinks he liked it. We'll see!

I hope your hands feel better!

I’ll check and see if Baked Ziti is listed. I think it might be. Hang on….

The recipe is in the RECIPES - Main Dishes and Entrees - Pasta thread: Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Pasta

But here you go, too. This is a good recipe. Rick and I really like it. I got it from a Barefoot Contessa board, but it's not one of Ina's. There's a woman on that board who is simply a great cook. She has a lot of excellent recipes. This is one of them. I like to make it in the morning and then throw it into the fridge. Then all I have to do is bake it while making the salad, warming rolls, etc. I really think you would like it.

BAKED ZITI

1 pound dry ziti pasta or rigatoni
6 ounces mozzarella, shredded
1 onion, chopped
1½ cups sour cream
1 pound lean ground beef
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
2 26-ounce jars spaghetti sauce
6 ounces sliced Provolone

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain. In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Layer as follows: half of the ziti, all the Provolone cheese and sour cream, half the sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese. Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.

NOTE: I use more onion, probably 1-1/2 onions instead of just one. I like to add more ground beef, too, 1-1/2 pounds. And more grated Parmesan. You can use your own pasta sauce, if you want.

Last edited:

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
write my letters
pack a new military care package ( i got one package mailed back to me )
read so more ( maybe)

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 No guests, unless you count my BIL. We're doing the ziti, garlic-Parm rolls, Caesar salad, with a frozen peanut butter pie for dessert. BIL has only ever had baked ziti once and he thinks he liked it. We'll see!

I hope your hands feel better!

I’ll check and see if Baked Ziti is listed. I think it might be. Hang on….

The recipe is in the RECIPES - Main Dishes and Entrees - Pasta thread: Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Pasta

But here you go, too. This is a good recipe. Rick and I really like it. I got it from a Barefoot Contessa board, but it's not one of Ina's. There's a woman on that board who is simply a great cook. She has a lot of excellent recipes. This is one of them. I like to make it in the morning and then throw it into the fridge. Then all I have to do is bake it while making the salad, warming rolls, etc. I really think you would like it.

BAKED ZITI

1 pound dry ziti pasta or rigatoni
6 ounces mozzarella, shredded
1 onion, chopped
1½ cups sour cream
1 pound lean ground beef
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
2 26-ounce jars spaghetti sauce
6 ounces sliced Provolone

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain. In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Layer as follows: half of the ziti, all the Provolone cheese and sour cream, half the sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese. Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.

NOTE: I use more onion, probably 1-1/2 onions instead of just one. I like to add more ground beef, too, 1-1/2 pounds. And more grated Parmesan. You can use your own pasta sauce, if you want.
It's about 2:00am and I could go for a late supper of that,ha!!!🍝

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
got up and had a pb sammie and a cuppa

Cal wanted out but her lover was not there. Connie was here yesterday

Will do a few chores.

The State Medicaid Legal Division contacted me yesterday about Kaylee. After she quit I told Jon, (office manager of the agency). some things that had occured. He had no choice but to report them. One of the allegations made by me was an unproven theft of narcotics but I was not going to file a police report, This had occurred about 6 weeks before she quit. Well, my case manager did report it to the police, something they must do and she was told there was nothing they could do so long after the fact and I would have to be the one reporting it. Something that bothered me was Jon told the Legal Division that I declined a replacement aide!!! I was never offered one!!
Jon and I discussed this. So again, I was lectured by this woman but in a much gentler way, that I got too close with my aides. She said it seemed I was a mother figure for Kaylee. So next time it will be strictly business.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Does this mean that you will be getting a new aide? Is there another agent besides the one where Jon works? There should be another agency to deal with.

I would not be upset with the Legal Person... not at all. They have to investigate all claims. This means that Kaylee will not be able to work as an aide.. there will be a black mark on her file.

Jon was right to report her. I understand why you did not report the theft. I get it. but....

I was not there, and I am not going to lecture; but, it is so hard for you or anyone else receiving home care, on a regular basis; NOT to bond with their caregiver.

I doubt very much that Kaylee was looking at you as a 'mother ' figure.

You were being very nice/good to her. I understand. You thought that by doing this, she would be be kind, and more caring. I get it...

My dad had an aide who took advantage of him. We were in your situation. I ended up insisting on a new aide, when the other one was on vacation. The old one did try calling me, but, I did not take her calls.

I had an aide who did try to take advantage of me.. I let her, up to a certain point; because she did do some special things for me.. like taking me out for a ride, shopping... giving me a shower.... things she was not supposed to do. But she did do some things which were not quite appropriate.
I watched her like a hawk; but gave her a bit of leeway. She would have been lazy, if I allowed her to be.. but I had a list of things for to do, each visit.

I hope things work out for you.. I really do.. There has to be other options. Can your sister help you find someone? at a different agency?

(((Hugs)))

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
My parents and my in-laws did the same thing. It was always "Aide's name" this and "Aide's name" that. Never mind that the my parents' aide was stealing from them right and left. After Dad died, Mom gave the aide a key to come and go and she used to sleep there. Sister and I tried to talk to her, but it did no good. This is a business transaction. I know it's difficult not to get close to an aide because well, she does a lot for you....or is supposed to. And you have to trust her.
  • I have to get a Dexascan this morning (not sure of spelling).
  • When I get back, the pickles will be ready. I'll make the syrup, let it go for an hour, then can the pickles.
  • Now that the stand is here, Rick really likes it. He thinks a top of tempered glass would be nice instead of granite (darn). We may take a run down to the glass shop. And then to Lowes. It's bigger than I thought it would be. Rick said, "Well, didn't you measure the area you wanted to put it in?" Well, I did think about it, but then just decided, "Nah. It'll fit." Oy!
ETA: Got home from having the scan. Everything went OK, but I'm pretty sure I have osteoporosis. They were going to let me know in 3 days about the results, but since I have a final appt with my ortho-weenie for my leg, he'll probably tell me at the appt. He's going to want me to do meds, I'm sure. I've pretty much had it with x-rays for a while! No more!

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Didn't get to the glass shop or to Lowes yesterday. Got busy with other stuff. And BIL came for dinner last night. I made sure he had plenty of leftovers for his lunch today.

I really need to start reading recipes! Got everything together to can pickles yesterday. But when I read through the recipe again, I realized that the blasted pickles had to set in the syrup for 24 hours. Oy! So the pickles are in the basement. I'm sterilizing jars in the dishwasher. And I swear those blasted pickles will be canned this morning!

And Rick brought down tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden yesterday. Oy again!
  • Up with the girls this morning. Breakfast for them, made Rick's coffee and stuck it in the fridge, and am sitting back here with my coffee.
  • Finish the pickles and then do some tomatoes. (The tomatoes that I did earlier this week were used in the sauce I made for our baked ziti last night. They made some good sauce!)
  • We are leaving the house this afternoon and not coming back until our errands are finished: glass shop, Lowes, etc.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I got to the IGA for assorted food items. Also the farm and feed where I got a dozen eggs. Wanted peanut pieces but they still haven't come in. Woodpeckers are irritated with me.

I told Jack how the big black ants are climbing up the pole, down the chain, and invading the hummingbird feeder. No joking, as well as scuttling around the feeder ports there's a layer of moribund ants floating on the sugar syrup inside the feeder. Jack showed me a - supposedly - ant stopper that looks like a plastic cup with a hook top and bottom. Keep it filled with water, attaching the feeder at the bottom. It costs $7.50 I dithered, came home without it. Himself said to buy it if I like.

Hoping to get to Michael's this afternoon. I'm going to be sitting in on an on-line NYBG class on making ink from foraged materials: rust, pokeweed berries, black walnut, etc. One item on the materials list is a small bottle of liquid gum arabic. This far out in the semi-rural / suburban divide I figure Michael's is a good place to start.

I want Himself to drive - my car's air conditioner is sometimes working, sometimes not. Today is warmer than it has been, so of course it is a "not" day.

Wish me luck with the quest for gum arabic.

Update: Not this afternoon. And weekend likely to be busy. So we'll try for early next week. Class is not until a week from tomorrow.

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I told Jack how the big black ants are climbing up the pole, down the chain, and invading the hummingbird feeder. No joking, as well as scuttling around the feeder ports there's a layer of moribund ants floating on the sugar syrup inside the feeder. Jack showed me a - supposedly - ant stopper that looks like a plastic cup with a hook top and bottom. Keep it filled with water, attaching the feeder at the bottom. It costs $7.50 I dithered, came home without it. Himself said to buy it if I like.
I coated the wire to the feeder with Vaseline. A bit messy, but it's working so far!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't get to the glass shop or to Lowes yesterday. Got busy with other stuff. And BIL came for dinner last night. I made sure he had plenty of leftovers for his lunch today.

I really need to start reading recipes! Got everything together to can pickles yesterday. But when I read through the recipe again, I realized that the blasted pickles had to set in the syrup for 24 hours. Oy! So the pickles are in the basement. I'm sterilizing jars in the dishwasher. And I swear those blasted pickles will be canned this morning!

And Rick brought down tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden yesterday. Oy again!
  • Up with the girls this morning. Breakfast for them, made Rick's coffee and stuck it in the fridge, and am sitting back here with my coffee.
  • Finish the pickles and then do some tomatoes. (The tomatoes that I did earlier this week were used in the sauce I made for our baked ziti last night. They made some good sauce!)
  • We are leaving the house this afternoon and not coming back until our errands are finished: glass shop, Lowes, etc.
If it will make it easier for you...if there is a next time around,the recipe I use now...after the cukes are soaked in the lime water and soaked again in cold water for 3 hours and drained...bring your syrup ingredients to a boil and dissolve the sugar,dump your drained pickles into the boiling syrup,bring it back to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.From there they go in the jars and ladle hot syrup over them .Saves you a whole day and the end result is still perfect and crunchy to beat the band.Hope this helps...nothing worse than waiting .....

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
lizzie lizzie Bless you! That will make things a lot easier! Thanks so much! (I'm trying your relish recipe today; thank you for that, too!)
Tobermory Tobermory C catapault My BIL coats his feeder with vegetable oil. He says it works beautifully. Vaseline is greasy enough that I'm sure it works great, too!

We did get to the glass shop yesterday. It will take 3 weeks for the glass to be finished. They'll call and we can go down, pay for it, and pick it up. They remember us because they did our shower doors. Meanwhile, we put a sheet over the stand in the kitchen to protect the top from cat scratches and such. It has become Miss Muffin's new bed. Honestly, that girl takes everything over! :lol:
MuffinStand.jpg

• Sitting back here with my coffee. I'll scoop in a bit.
  • Dear Richard has a new game. Every time I empty a plate of tomatoes and a plate of cucumbers, he brings me a bunch more from the garden. He thinks it's great fun. I did another quart of tomatoes yesterday. And will do another quart today. The tomatoes weren't quite ready yesterday, but they are now. I'm saving a perfect tomato for BLTs tonight!
  • lizzie lizzie gave me a recipe for pickle relish (for hotdogs, etc.) that I can use cucumbers in. Going to make that today, too.
  • And then I'm spending the afternoon in the WeShed with a couple of books.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Humid. Bleah.
I got a pint of tomato sauce yesterday. All that work for a pint. I wish the tomatoes would all ripen at the same time; yeah, it would be a lot of work, but then it would be done. I also did the pickle relish. Tastes good!

So there’s nothing much going on today. I have been on my leg a lot this week, so taking it easy. Rick took Muffin out for her walk. I’m going to scoop. And that will be my Sunday.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
  • Time to do red beets! I was up in the garden last night, checking on things and saw that they're ready. So I'm going to freeze red beets this morning. And end up with bright pink hands as I'm out of food gloves.
  • Followed by checking on the plants in the WeShed. The violets are not doing well and I don't know why. Several weeks ago, I took all the blooms off to give them a chance to rest. Last week I started feeding them again. I think part of the problem is the air conditioning in the Shed. They don't like being chilly. And it can get cool-ish in there. I had wanted to put some of the plants outside on the deck (umbrella tree, pathos, Christmas cacti, etc) but when I fractured my tibia and couldn't get around easily, I didn't bother. Had we had bad storms (and we had some nasty wind), I wouldn't have gotten out there fast enough on crutches to put them all back inside. Now, we're getting ready to wash and re-paint the deck, so it wouldn't pay to put them outside. I wanted to re-paint the deck back in the spring, but again....tibia.
  • Work in the house: a bit of a vacuum and swiffer, wash kitty schnuffle off the bay window in the living room, that kind of stuff. Nothing major as we're back into the heat and humidity, pretty much all this week.
One of our neighbors came over last night with some radishes for us. She was hoping to trade radishes for a couple cucumbers. Oh, no problem! She left with four cukes from the garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.