Name Three Things - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was a two hour, online class about making ink from foraged material. Two hours, with a second class next Saturday. Interesting. Today was mostly the basic information, we're supposed to make an ink in the next few days, and then we'll discuss and learn more next time.

With excellent timing my review copy of the presenter's book was delivered this afternoon, after the class was over.

Having made tuna salad so Himself could feed himself while I was in class (odd hours, 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.) he forgot about it. Forgot about lunch, actually. And had it for lunch after the class was all over.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The state has a tax free weekend most years in August. I don't know if any other state does this. This year the governor suggested making it a 2 month tax free thing to encourage the economy but lots of people balked at that.

I bought a new mattress. My current one is 11 years old and I guess mattresses are supposed to be replaced every 8 to 10 years or so. My mattress is no longer firm. Squishy soft is more like it and my back is super sore and stiff every morning. I bought the same brand, Sealy Posturepedic. Nothing fancy, just a pretty basic one with a "Euro top". I know it's best to go to a store and try out different mattresses and all that but I've always found it super creepy to do that while the salesmen (it's always men) stand around and watch you :fear::paranoid: So this time I just bought online from a well known furniture store that will take the old mattress away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 Nice! Enjoy your mattress!

We had such a good time last night. Had dinner with friends, then came back to the house for peach cobbler. Spent the evening in the WeShed in the AC. Great time!

Nice day. It's not overly hot or humid. Finally!
  • Back to the kitchen today. I need to finish off those peaches. And, wouldn't you know it? I've had a recipe for peach iced tea for years! Years, I tell you! And now, I can't find it. I just saw it a couple weeks ago and put it in a "safe" place. Where's that place? Darned if I know. It's frustrating. :sigh: Meanwhile, when I took Miss Muffin for her walk this morning, I saw some ripening tomatoes in the garden. Rick will go up for tomatoes and for the never-ending cucumbers. I think it's time to dig potatoes, too.
  • Work on a grocery list and a spice and herb list. Some day this week, we're doing a mini road trip to Pittsburgh. I really want to hit Penzey. I was going to do a mail order, but then Rick suggested that we just drive out as there's a Pennsylvania Macaroni Store he wants me to go to. He was there a couple years ago when he was in Pittsburgh for union stuff and had to make a Penzey run for me. The PA store is right across the street from Penzey and he thought I'd enjoy perusing the aisles. It's about 5 hours, give or take, to get to Pittsburgh from here, so we'll have to leave early. Anyway, I need to make some lists.
  • Scoop boxes at some point.
And that's it. No house-cleaning (other than the kitchen after I'm done with the peaches), no laundry. Just me and The Peach!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unloaded dishwasher I ran last night before going to bed

Washed / dried two loads of laundry

Chose two cartons worth of gardening books I no longer want and after lunch I drove them 30 miles to a friend who is certain to go to next Saturday's garden club meeting. I would go except Saturday is the second and last Make Ink! Zoom class.

Friends sent me home with peaches, Gingergold late summer apples, a Charantais melon, a couple of beets, both green and yellow beans, summer and crookneck squash. Well worth the drive! Now there's a tiny bit of space on bookshelves and garden fresh produce in the refrigerator.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
doing my late night online stuff
get my two military ladies to write to
and the last thing will be a mystery

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I did almost 5 quarts of peaches yesterday for the freezer. No sugar or spices, just peaches. This winter, if we decide we want peach cobbler, I've got the peaches to thaw.
  • My final appointment with the ortho-weenie. I thought that back in July, but then he wanted one more visit. I had bloodwork done last Thursday; he'll give me the results.
  • Til I get home from the doctor, Rick will have corn husked and ready to blanch for the freezer. After the corn, I'm doing tomatoes. Rick will take our cucumbers over to a local church for their food bank. I've done enough cukes to see me through for a while!
  • A good kitchen cleaning....again.
  • Not sure if we'll hit the grocery store this afternoon or tomorrow morning

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was a busy day.. Beautiful day--low humidity, cooler.
It was hectic in the morning with Mass and a car wash, never did get around to vacuuming.

I went to a family get together, to welcome my cousin's first grandchild. He is 5 months old, living in Florida. They are up here for a week.
It is a long way to drive, almost 100 miles round trip, but it was a nice time. Watching the kids in the pool.. Yes, a new generation of little ones.

Today: A real good pick up around here. I neglected a lot, yesterday.
and some business stuff.

I felt so bad for Geoffrey. I forgot to leave him food! I gave him fresh water, but forgot to give him a bowl of dry food! He was starving when I came home, 7 hours later! I really heard it from him.
I felt really bad.

I remembered that I forgot, when I was stuck in traffic, on the expressway.. I could not turn around.

He made up for it when I came home, ate all of his food last night, and ate a lot of the wet food this morning. Poor thing..

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom Poor Geoffrey! I'm sure he's forgiven you by now. Kudos to the new addition to your family.

So......had my appt with the ortho-weenie. He released me AND I can start walking! I am to start with two 1/2 mile walks a day for the next two weeks and then gradually increase as I go. He did stress "gradually". I also got my first shot of Prolia. I am in osteoporosis, no surprise there, to be honest. If I don't do something now, I'll be one of those old ladies in the supermarket walking wrapped around the grocery cart. My mother was a perfect "C" as she got older; she couldn't stand straight at all. He chose Prolia because it's so hard for me to take meds by mouth. One shot every six months. And that shot burns! Blah! My bloodwork is perfectly normal; everything is exactly where it's supposed to be. Whew! Oh, ortho-weenie said that, IF I want him to, he'll take an x-ray of my knee in six months, BUT he really sees no need. Everything is fine with the tibia and it's healing. It will take a while.

Almost five quarts of tomato sauce yesterday, followed by 5-1/2 dozen ears of corn for the freezer. Oh, and a scant quart of lima beans. The beans are starting to fill out nicely. Rick took cucumbers over to a church's food pantry; they were tickled to get them. They said they don't get enough produce.
  • We're going to hit the grocery store as soon as Dear Richard removes himself from the couch. He got up with the girls this morning and is napping now.
  • When Muffin and I went out for our walk, I noticed more tomatoes that could be picked.
  • Trash night tonight
  • Bloodless will be delivered today! :yess::woohoo:The new Pendergast novel from Preston/Child. I'll be out in the WeShed tonight!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 I hope it works out well for you!

We were going to Pittsburgh today. But it's raining, we're under a flash flood watch, and the local weather-weenies are calling for 2 to 4 inches of rain from the remnants of Fred. I got up with the girls and it's already pouring. We don't feel like driving five hours (ten hours total) in this mess, so Dear Richard suggested that we head over to Trader Joe's instead, which is about an hour, give or take, away. I still have two gift cards to TJ's, but I'm not sure how much is on them anymore as it's been a while.
  • My turn to get up with the girls. Gave them breakfast and am running the dishwasher. Going to walk my 1/2-mile, then scoop the boxes.
  • Check out TJ's Fearless Flyer, just to see what's interesting. I don't know whether we'll go for breakfast. I like hitting Cracker Barrel for their breakfast, but I'm not really in the mood this morning. Maybe I'll feel better once we're over there. (Honestly? I think I'd just as soon take my book and spend the day in the WeShed. I didn't get out there last night and today's a good day for it. Rick said, "Oh, you just want to read your book!" Well, yeah! :lol: )
  • Not sure about anything else.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I moved 20 pots of dormant oxblood lily, Rhodophiala bifida, out of the greenhouse to get rained on. One or two pots are showing tiny green leaf tips. With a good natural soaking they'll hurl themselves into flower.

Trying for an efficient mid-day run of errands since we are going out:
  1. Stop at library to drop off gardening books I reviewed on my website but do not want to keep
  2. Himself has a doctor appointment, an annual one
  3. Pick up pass for 4-H fair at senior center - Thursday next week is senior day
  4. Go to Walmart and Costco

Then drop my car off at mechanic's this afternoon so tomorrow they can find out why air conditioning doesn't cool things down. This has not been the weather for it not to work while I am out and about!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We went to Trader Joe's yesterday. Came back with a fairly nice haul and I'm now done with all my TJ's gift cards. Came home, put everything away, took my book, went out to the WeShed....and was fast asleep in five minutes. That couch, I'm telling you, that couch is dangerous! Stayed out there, had a very nice nap, until 7:00 or so, when I was abruptly awakened by thunder. Looked outside, didn't like the way the sky looked, and came back into the house. Talked to Rick and he said we were under a tornado watch for a while.
  • I have tomatoes to do this morning. Rick has an appt with our insurance-weenie about his mom, so I'll get the tomatoes done while he's gone. I want to make a small container of pizza sauce, too, as I'm making pizza for dinner on Friday.
  • Change the bed sheets and do two loads of laundry
  • A quick vacuum about the house

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did get the books dropped off at the library yesterday. Did pick up the pass for the 4-H fair next week.

Himself did see his doctor and that was a mess. They called on Tuesday to ask if he could come in on Wednesday instead of in September because the doctor has an issue with Sept. Sure. Then he waited in their office for well over an hour! And I was sitting in the car out in the parking lot because why go into a medical office. Doctor apologized, said he was very busy - sure, have all your already made Wednesday appointments then add in more. Himself was outraged and I wasn't happy either.

Found about half of what I wanted at WalMart, and only wanted a few things at Costco.

One thing I want is strong vinegar used for cleaning, that I'll use for making ink. Regular vinegar is 5%, cleaning vinegar is 6%. Which makes it 20% stronger. That's one of the items I didn't find. Stopped at the local hardware store after dropping off my car for service. They had 30% vinegar for killing weeds. Too powerful, too expensive - at $35 / gallon I decided against it. Just as well, probably need a breathing mask, goggles, and nitrile gloves to use it.

Heavy rain last night, tornado warning, lightening but not much thunder. Le's see what today brings.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
went shopping for a lady in the military , bought her care package items
get online and check in for awhile
check my mail

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday, I was just finishing up the tomatoes when I looked out the window and saw Dear Richard walking down from the garden with a tub of corn. Got 4 quarts of tomatoes, then did a little over 3 dozen ears of corn.
  • Up with the girls this morning. Gave them breakfast, emptied the dishwasher....and went back to bed.
  • Up again about 90 minutes later, had my coffee. On our walk, Muffin and I saw five cucumbers that must be picked. I'm sure there are more. We'll take them over to the church for their produce table.
  • Did my 1/2-mile walk and will do the second 1/2-mile tonight
  • Must do Rick's mom's Kindle as we're finally taking it up this afternoon.
  • Must do pizza dough for tonight's sausage and pepper pizza.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Whew... got through the building's Parking Meeting without a scratch.. Actually, people said I did a great job... I do not know.. I am just 'winging' it, and speaking from my heart..

Lost my voice!! I do have a vocal cord issue. When I speak for a while; at an increased volume, my vocal cords overwork, resulting in a case of laryngitis. Rsting them for a while.

Now, I am dreading Monday Night. There is a City Council meeting. One Councilor at large, put our request in a motion... however, it is not exactly what we want... He seems to be the only one backing us, so we need him..
Very strange our local councilor, is undecided.. and he says he has a soft spot, and fully supports our building.... liar... We have support from his challenger; a former councilor, who will be there to back us up. It IS an election year.. so we will see.

I dread Monday nights meeting. I feel as if I am going to be ripped apart.

I really do not know why I am doing this... never did anything like this before... never mind anything in politics... but the parking situation, the city has undertaken is really discriminatory to all of the Seniors living in the building.
I just feel bad for all of them... We do not have visitor passes.. only 19 for a building of 260 apartments.

Wish me luck on Monday night.. We are planning on carpooling anyone who wants to attend.
~~~~~
Today;
*up early
*regular morning stuff
*invited local councilor and another one to this morning's meeting.
* typed up a petition
* reviewed notes for meeting
*talked with the challenger for the Ward Council seat, for a long while
** Conducted meeting
* had to get out for a minute..went to get an iced coffee...
*Winding down,

Jeesh, I feel as if I put in a full day...and it is only 1pm....

Lazy, yet antsy dark, humid day.....so humid in here.. either I keep the AC on, or shut it down.. but too humid to open windows.. If I shut it down, it will be stifling in here....

Just venting....

For supper... I remembered I bought a couple ears of corn from TJ's... and their pre-cooked balsamic chicken. Can be a good supper!

Also have to separate and freeze some chicken pieces: tenders and thighs.

Status
Not open for further replies.